PDA

View Full Version : Spoke Tightening

hunt
12th May 2006, 21:50
Does anyone know, is there a torque tool and or method for checking spokes,
have had my wheels rebuilt a while ago and some appear to have different tensions now, any ideas?

Ixion
12th May 2006, 21:55
Tap the spokes with a little hammer or similar. They should "ring". Tap a few that seem right and you'll hear what I mean. Loose ones will be "dull" .

To tighten them, I just use a little adjustable spanner, but you can get proper spoke tools at any bike shop, cos of off roaders using them.

hunt
12th May 2006, 22:01
Tap the spokes with a little hammer or similar. They should "ring". Tap a few that seem right and you'll hear what I mean. Loose ones will be "dull" .

To tighten them, I just use a little adjustable spanner, but you can get proper spoke tools at any bike shop, cos of off roaders using them.

thanks for your reply, is it possible to overtighten?, causing run out, or would you tighten a few degrees, tap and listen for the ring?

crashe
12th May 2006, 22:05
Contact "Speedpro" who is now in the Wellington area...

He fixed my spokes for me when I broke 4 at the same time up here in Ak....

He is a good dude and maybe able to help you out.

Ixion
12th May 2006, 22:05
I assume the wheel was properly trued in the first place, so it is a matter of tightening up any that have worked loose.

Yes, you can overtighten, but if you use a little spanner it is not likely. Main thing is , if you have a few loose ones, tighten them each a bit at a time. Don't tighten one, then the next etc, go round do a bit on each and round again. Just tighten them to the "ring" point. It's easier to pick it than it sounds.

hunt
12th May 2006, 23:06
thanks Ixion and crashe,