PDA

View Full Version : Track Time April 5th

Mitch
1st April 2003, 08:50
Hi all

Another Track Times Day is on the horizon, 5th April.  Pukekohe of course.   Just thought i'd let you know that you can enter on the day this time.

Hope to see you all out there, weather permitting it will be a great day!!

Auckland Motorcycle Club are holding the last round of the club champs the next day (Sunday 6th April) Lets hope the weather plays ball!!

wkid_one
1st April 2003, 10:40
Isn't it something horrendous like $200 on the day?????

This is kinda steep compared with $80 on the controlled testing days which we just had.....I must say personally that after 4 sessions on Saturday, the proposition of going around the track is not as attractive as it was.

Coldkiwi
1st April 2003, 12:21
yeah $200 on the day.

But if you've booked early its $130 .. or if you've been before and booked early its $100.. but then you're gambling with the weather.

Having said that, its a great way to get into it if its anyone's first time because there are marshalls you can follow to get good lines and excellent advice that turn your mistakes into valuable learning experiences!

wkid_one
1st April 2003, 14:15
True, but I liked the open day as I got to follow people on many different lines......but am glad no-one followed my esses line!! (PlayerX made his own one)

After almost being stuffed up the inside on Saturday on the corner to the back straight by an idiot who couldn't be bothered noting I was waiting to pass the rider in front of me - I'd rather ride with people I know, than heros.

For every one on the track (and road for that matter) - pass around the outside - we don't all have bottom-less wallets to repair bikes caused by idiots trying to outbrake on the inside.  Plus as a word of warning, I make absolutely no apologies for my behaviour if you cause me to come off from being a hero up the inside! 

Mitch
1st April 2003, 14:54
WELL WELL

Sounds like all the girls have come out to winge hehehe  :argh:

Track day is $130.00 on the day and $100.00 if you book in advance.

I agree with you guys that it's abit steep compared to an open track friday HOWEVER you may have noticed on the Pukekohe Test days there are no safety bails out.  The time and commitment the organisers and volunteers put into these track time days is HUGE.  If you don't plan on riding the day, you could always come down and help to us get things done  :bigthumb:    Am I optomistic or what hehe

:brick:

As for you there doing the rain dance, :bash::bash: 

The sun may not be shining hard, but it will not be raining this weekend.  (I'm absolutely convinced that this may be complete bullshit but one can only hope :o))

wkid_one
1st April 2003, 16:03
Long range looks good.....but in Auckland you never know.

If numbers are down or weather is sus for the ride to the Coromandel - I will be there with the camera hoping to get some good pics at the hairy pin and esses (guys, polish up those knee sliders!)....and am happy to help with setting everything up if need be.....just let me know where and when I need to be!

Mitch
1st April 2003, 17:08
:cool:

Cheers Wkid one.  :bigthumb::bigthumb:

It's not very often people are willing to help!!!

Hope to see you there

:done:

Hey just as an after thought, how does one put a photo into ones profile?????

SpankMe
1st April 2003, 21:34
Originally posted by Mitch
Hey just as an after thought, how does one put a photo into ones profile?????
Go to User cp (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/usercp.php), then "edit option". You can change your avatar at the bottom of the page.

Kwaka-Kid
8th April 2003, 18:07
WELL I HAD A MINT DAY!
managed to avoid buying new tyres, and getting one lastlife outta the old ones, they are truly screwed now! haha the right edge of the rear tyre is finally starting to match the wear in the center, and the amount of rubber beads it l;eft all on that right edge amazed me!
Had lots of fun, altho was a little angry @ the bike, dead standerd and done 50,000k's. and on the backstreight it was struggling to pull 190kmph by the 200m braking sign @ the other end, i got braking down to approx 125m at that speed tho. (if i want to get near the std top speed of 227.5 the bike will need a valve grind and headwork, which i could do myself if i could be arsed)

Only one little scar whacking power on into the backstreight, there aint much power on the little 400 but i think it was more that i was on the plastic edge, and it has a steep ridge because its a street tyre (michy macadam) and only worn the centre, and it spun a little and almost made me wet myself, but i loved it.

I now have the sorest knees in all history of sore knees! dunno if anybody else gets this but i crouch the whole time unless braking, and into corners like the one coming onto the front streight i fully have my rear end (of me) hanging off the seat, and am barely hanging on with my hands.  i.e i get a leg workout switching sides thru the flipflop etc.

A great day all in all for everybody i think, only a few spills on the track - and none in my class. I stayed in novice slow for the day apart from the last stint in novice fast aswell, was amazed that even in that i must have held about 2-3rd place, only being passed by a Aprilla Mille and i think a Duke monster? and was fighting for that 3rd with a guy on a RF900! blasting me on the backstreight (he musta been getting around 250) but a bunny rider (much like myself) so going really easy throught the corners.  Gotta love finding somthing like that and haveing a good 3-4 lap battle swaping positions in certain parts of the track.

Well thats my big speech of happyness, Sorry about going on for a bit, but i really really reaaaaallly do love racing, even tho i was frustrated on that backstreight, it was well compensated for when i was flying throught the flipflops only with engine braking whilst watching big 900's with newbies fly behind me! :P

TTFN!

+ put the pics back up please Spankme, there were 3-4 pics with me in them, and 1 with a good clear picture on the dummy grid.

Coldkiwi
8th April 2003, 18:24
great that you love racing kwaka... but TRACK DAYS ARE NOT RACING!

people that try and race on track days generally tend to cause/get involved in accidents and always annoy other riders by passing in dangerous places because they're not expected to be there.

Well worth bearing in mind for all of us

Kwaka-Kid
8th April 2003, 19:08
hmm, yeah thanks for pointing that out - well i know it aint racing, but about overtaking etc, there was only 1 place i knewi put myself at risk (and the dude on one of those new GS1200SS things) thru the S's that i was flying thru a bit too quick and didnt realise how incredibly slow he would be going through there after watching him blast me on the front streight.. and kinda undercut him on that first left, but there was still a fair bit of room left, and it was over nice and quick and just left me running a little wide on that big right hand corner onto the back strieght (well 2 corners, but i use as one usually, like most i spose)

And soon i get my 1994 Honda RVF400.  not going to register, turn into racebike only and spend all my money working on it, and Enter forumla 3 come september.  thats the plan.  I love the race track soo much, id die for it. Does everybody else feel like that? there is just nothing better in life for me then flying around pukekohe (well, not flying on a 400).  Id trade my mrs for the track any day of the week, hell id go without a woman for the rest of my life if i could race everyday of the week for the rest of my life

SPman
8th April 2003, 19:14
"hell id go without a woman for the rest of my life if i could race everyday of the week for the rest of my life"  -

Are you sure about that........................(tempting though it seems at times...!)    :eek:

Kwaka-Kid
8th April 2003, 20:21
Definatly... Unless however they came with remote controls that contained a MUTE button? that would be helpful :)
And to think, im only 17.   So sad isnt it? Ive already realised the harsh reality of Woman :P hahaha!

But yep, love the track, want to live on it.  Oh and btw, i was only running 1min 25s @ puke :( sad really. considering i ran a best of 1:19 on my poked 750, and generally around 1:20 anyways.  im sure its the difference that i only JUST get to 190 on a good run down the backstreight @ the 200m sign, whereas on the 750 by the kink i was already @ 215 on redline.  Even tho for sure on the 400 my cornering was much faster.

Coldkiwi
8th April 2003, 21:25
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kwaka-Kid
[
I love the race track soo much, id die for it. Does everybody else feel like that? QUOTE]

noo... not really...

I love tearing round puke.. its a great way to have fun but I have this odd paranoia about intensive care units, life long colostomy bags due to liver and kidney malfunctions being attached to me, not to mention full body casts that reminds me of the limits to what I should and shouldn't be trying to do. People do die and get massive injuries on racetracks (see the MotoGp thread about Kato) and I don't intend to end up as one of them!

Life is more to me than a 250kph blast and a 1:12 lap. It's a flippin awesome experience and makes great stories to get me through the months till I can do it again, but it doesn't replace all other parts/people/desires in my life! maybe i'm odd?

Kwaka-Kid
9th April 2003, 05:47
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
maybe i'm odd?

I think you must have mis-typed that, the word you are looking for is OLD :)  Bah, intensive care? on a racetrack?! its safe as, you are all going the same way around the track, + my bones are strong, they break through bikes, when i come hurtling down the main roads, powerpoles jump outta the way for me! :P :calm:

Anyways, i must go to work, but a mighty fun day it was all-in-all, Spankme so i take it you have the red SV there? isaw one, but didnt see you at any time around it :/  what times do you get on it?

Coldkiwi
9th April 2003, 12:28
don't I wish you were joking

Did you read that Motogp thread about the crash Kato had?

"Kato had a daughter just 10 days ago, and would be 26 tomorrow...
Dr Costa says Kato has a 15% chance of survival. But the real bad news is that there was a problem between his first and second vertebrae and even if he does survive he will have lost the use of his legs, arms and even breathing.. he won't be able to breathe by himself and will need a respirator at all times. He will be paralyzed from the neck down. "

Kwaka-Kid
9th April 2003, 16:13
Incredibly sad.  So sad it makes me mad.  Id give him my body if i could.  I honestly dont mean to disrespect anybody or anything like that in what i say about the race track, and maybe i do take my body/life for granted, and i do realise the risk involved.  But id rather race and die, even if it was next month, then to die in 20 years time and have not raced again at all.  Racing is my reason to live, my only hope, so god help anybody that trys to snake it from me :P

No, on a more serious note then that last bit, I would rather race again and die then not at all,  and if i did die tomorrow, or in a month, i wouldnt regret anything and if the doc wanted me to live paralyzed, and there was no modern stuff to let me race bikes whilst paralyzed, then Id want to be killed, and have my body parts used for either research or sombody more in need.

But dont be worried or anything, Season doesnt start till September i think?

Live Fast, Die Young. :) -just a funny saying my mates always saying to me.

bluninja
9th April 2003, 17:08
Hey KK the winter season starts sooner, and there's a race at Taupo this Sunday...not as far to travel as Manfeild. But note that the biggest part of racing is finishing.........and the art of racing is winning at the slowest possible speed:confused:

TTFN

MikeL
9th April 2003, 21:36
Kwaka
The full quote is: "Live fast, die young, and leave a good-looking corpse." It's the last bit that's the problem...

Kwaka-Kid
9th April 2003, 22:26
hmm, well my RVF400 racebike (well imported andnot put on street, so i wont put on street, ill just strip and race) is due in about 1.5-2mnths, so its a little late :/

and ahh thanx for that full quote.  i shall be looking my best every day :D