PDA

View Full Version : The Kat's not well

dangerous
14th May 2006, 19:04
well I have been working on the new Kat over the weekend and something just isn't right... seems to take a while to warm up and has a mag drop at a certain rev, ya cant feel a miss but it does not sound right.

Checked the tappit clearances out and all seems ok, cams are good apart from exhaust lobe 2, which dosent look as shiny as the others.

Now check out the state of the plugs in the attached pic... #2 not looking good aye? why is that? heres the compression results

rounded up to the nearest 5psi
actual reading

My 1st thought is burnt valve as the exhaust sound is the same as I have heard before when this has been the case.
However it has been pointed out that if a valve was burnt out then the compression reading would be 0psi.

What do you guys reckon? I havent had a chance to strip the carbs yet...

Colapop
14th May 2006, 19:08
Not knowing enough but at a guess (going through the options)
Cacked head?
Rings?
Stripped plug thread?
Burnt valve?

Burnt valve is apparently out, so process of elimination....

(Not much help eh?)

TonyB
14th May 2006, 19:15
Erm, rounded to the nearest 5 psi should be

Joni
14th May 2006, 19:17
You have been told how to diagnose if its rings or valves... why dont you start there?:confused:

Bonez
14th May 2006, 19:25
Doesn't look like the plug has been firing. Try a new/replacement one. Could be duff HD lead connection or cap. Where all 4 headers getting hot? Could explain the strange exhaust note if one cylinder wasn't firing.

This happened with Gerty. Turned out one contact on the coil had erroded away and not supplying ergs to the sparktplug.

paturoa
14th May 2006, 19:26
Redo your comp test with a teaspoon of oil into each the plug hole. If the compression goes up then rings if stays roughtly the same then valves. As a rule the highest comp pot will have the least rise and use this as a base. So if pot 4 goes up by say 5psi and pot 2 goes up by 20 then pretty safe to assume rings. If pot 2 also goes up by about 5psi then rings.

A burnt exhaust valve will still have compression in the early stages.

For the the sooty plug, is it wet and oily soot, particularly in right deep in the plug (rings), or a dry fluffy soot (carb)?

Have you run your finger nail on the cam lobe?

Still it could be both at the same time!

A good site for help is http://www.thegsresources.com/ Search the forum posts. Lots of good stuff about carbs etc.

dangerous
14th May 2006, 19:28
You have been told how to diagnose if its rings or valves... why dont you start there?:confused:
Yes JO... thanks for that... BUT as I said to W I will do the old oil down the plug hole when I get the chance... W knows that I was going to post this thread because it doesn't hurt to to get other opinions, I am NOT doubting his ;)

boomer
14th May 2006, 19:29
I'd put the poor bugga down if i were you.. sounds I'll and your home style vetinary skills sound ill'er :laugh:

_Gina_
14th May 2006, 19:31
if a valve was burnt out then the compression reading would be 0psi.

may not be zero, blown head gasket would drop comp readings thou

FROSTY
14th May 2006, 19:32
Mate I've had a few of them thar bikes.They still seem to keep on keeping on even with burnt valves. Pull the head off and Ill betcha one of the zorst valves has a bit burnt off of it.
I'd pull all the valves out and give em a lap in

dangerous
14th May 2006, 19:33
For the the sooty plug, is it wet and oily soot, particularly in right deep in the plug (rings), or a dry fluffy soot (carb)?

dry n fluffy
cheers P

Doesn't look like the plug has been firing. Try a new/replacement one. Could be duff HD lead connection or cap. Where all 4 headers getting hot? Could explain the strange exhaust note if one cylinder wasn't firing.

This happened with Gerty. Turned out one contact on the coil had erroded away and not supplying ergs to the spaktplug.
Well, I would know if it was not firing on all 4, but theres something in the exhaust not that isn't right.... it is, just not producing all the power.

I'd put the poor bugga down if i were you.. sounds I'll and your home style vetinary skills sound ill'er :laugh:
have you been drinking more than me???

ill?
veterinary?
more ill?
sorry I find you no help at all

paturoa
14th May 2006, 19:35

never seen a GS head gasket blown, spose it must happen some times??

boomer
14th May 2006, 19:41
have you been drinking more than me???

ill?
veterinary?
sorry I find you no help at all

I now know why your nick name here is Dangerous. :killingme

and don't apologise buddy..it's a sign of weakness :yeah:

T.W.R
14th May 2006, 20:13
From a wee magic book :sherlock:

Compression range is : 9 - 12 kg/cm2 which is 128 - 170psi

and heres a plug diagnosis chart for you so you know what your looking at :bleh:

Bonez
14th May 2006, 20:33
Well, I would know if it was not firing on all 4, Prey tell how? The slow to warm up description you made sounded very similar to what happened with Gerty. Once warmed up she'd fire on all 4 but not on every firing stroke. Replacing the coil sorted it out.

That chart indicates it could be weak voltage also.

Kickaha
14th May 2006, 20:50
Doesn't look like the plug has been firing. Try a new/replacement one. .

He's already been told to do that

Redo your comp test with a teaspoon of oil into each the plug hole. If the compression goes up then rings if stays roughtly the same then valves. I told him to that earlier today after he did the initial compression test

Have you run your finger nail on the cam lobe?
Did that yesterday when he was checking the clearances, the lobe is a different colour but it isn't marked or worn

A good site for help is http://www.thegsresources.com/ Search the forum posts. Lots of good stuff about carbs etc.

Gave him that to, if he spent as much time on his bike as he does attention seeking on here it'd already be fixed

as I said to W I will do the old oil down the plug hole when I get the chance you've already had a chance to do it well before you posted this :bleh:

Bonez
14th May 2006, 21:05
Gave him that to, if he spent as much time on his bike as he does attention seeking on here it'd already be fixed
Yipsireeebob

Buddha#81
14th May 2006, 21:09
I had a GSX1100 years ago and it had a cracked head with low comp on 1 cyl. I couldn't afford to fix it so bunged it back togeather and rode it hard for another 10k before selling it to a unsuspecting punter. Dont worry about the comp you are looking for a electrical or fuel fault. Good old trademe strikes again, yellow paint anybody. Go the cb250, the Kat will look good in the pits:laugh: .

k14
14th May 2006, 21:21
Yeah well obviously his maths is as bad as his english. Too much distraction at school i reckon, being an all boys school an all that is :killingme

T.W.R
14th May 2006, 21:45
I'd be working from the plugs back firstly, guaranteed with the age of the Kat if the plug caps aren't getting worn, then the leads will be stiff & most likely breaking down internally which would be causing the misfire.
If its a coil it may also effect #4 cyl as well but it doesn't look like it is.

Also the Plugs are one grade colder than should be in there (D8EA)

The compression issue could be a result of the misfire anyhow with carbon build-up on the exhaust valve seat, so a lap & re set could be useful too.

Finn
14th May 2006, 21:53
I'm mistified as to why you didn't pm me first. After all, I am the expert.

It's your tire pressure.

iwilde
14th May 2006, 22:04
I had a GSX1100 years ago and it had a cracked head with low comp on 1 cyl. I couldn't afford to fix it so bunged it back togeather and rode it hard for another 10k before selling it to a unsuspecting punter. Dont worry about the comp you are looking for a electrical or fuel fault. Good old trademe strikes again, yellow paint anybody. Go the cb250, the Kat will look good in the pits:laugh: .

What a cunt, arseholes like you always get what you deserve in the end!

miSTa
14th May 2006, 22:04
Very high probability that the diaphram in the fuel tap is rooted. I had exactly the same thing on my GSX1100. What happens is that when the diaphragm is rooted is that the fuel overlows carb 2 (Fuel overflows carb 2 by getting drawn through the vacuum line [vacuum line to feul tap originates from carb 2]), resulting in a plug that is black and sooty. I tried a rebuild kit from Colemans without success (with a try first $25 IIRC) then scored a new tap from Don at Cycle treads ($180 I think). There is a test for it but I cannot remember what it is - check www.thegsresources.com

Edit - Disconnect the vacuum line, plug carb and feul tap, switch to "prime" and ride (switch to run or reserve at end of ride so as not overflow carbs). Plug colour should return to normal. If it does its the diaphram thats rooted.

_Gina_
14th May 2006, 22:13
It's your tire pressure.

Nice American English...

Eats Shoots and Leaves anybody?

Finn
14th May 2006, 22:20

I knew we've met before.

scumdog
14th May 2006, 22:27
Hmm, if it was an H-D I would say swap leads over and see if the other plug fouls BUT seeing as you're hell-bent on messing with multi cylinder Devils toys I would swap the plug with another cylinder and see if the same cylinder fouls - then at least you would know if it was the plug or not.

Get somebody with one of those magic 'lectric gizmos to check coil for output and lead for breakdown.
ARE all exhaust valves opening the same amount?
And don't forget ZZRs advice.

boomer
14th May 2006, 22:38
Nice American English...

nice panda!

boomer
14th May 2006, 22:41
I'm mistified as to why you didn't pm me first. After all, I am the expert.

It's your tire pressure.

Hey Aaron.. get back in ya box buddy and leave this shit to the experts * shakes head in dispair

Finn
14th May 2006, 22:46
Hey Aaron.. get back in ya box buddy and leave this shit to the experts * shakes head in dispair

Mate, I was joking. Anybody with the most basic knowledge of motorcycle maintainence would know that the problem is the CV joints.

boomer
14th May 2006, 22:56
i see why u have a pitt crew now... sheeeesh !

gav
14th May 2006, 23:07
So you bought the yellow GSX then? :laugh:

iwilde
14th May 2006, 23:40
No, but i can imagine some poor bastard saving his/her hard earned cash to be taken by a prick like him.

dangerous
15th May 2006, 06:29
looks real tidy now! well done! :Punk:
Now??? na Bren the pics are as when I got it home less the rack clipons still upside down, old tyres etc)

Yipsireeebob
geee... sorry guys silly me thought this motorcycle forum was all about asking questions and helping others, were the hell do ya get attention seeking from... I have a problem and I am asking for advice

Yeah well obviously his maths is as bad as his english. Too much distraction at school i reckon, being an all boys school an all that is :killingme
T and K, I did 2 runs at the comp test... the round up results were from the 1st.. I then posted the exact results on the 2nd test

I'd be working from the plugs back firstly........

Very high probability that the diaphram in the fuel tap....
Thanks guys, ZZR I did read about that problem in the GS forum, hence I have joined up there... yet to get the time to post.

Kickaha
15th May 2006, 06:43
were the hell do ya get attention seeking from... I

Owned the bike one week and managed to start three seperate threads about it, wonder how many there'll be by Christmas

miSTa
15th May 2006, 07:00
ZZR I did read about that problem in the GS forum, hence I have joined up there... yet to get the time to post.

I would be +95% confident that its the diaphragm and IMO its the first thing to check.

Rashika
15th May 2006, 08:49
I would be +95% confident that its the diaphragm and IMO its the first thing to check.
yep sounds like good advice you guys... and I know D will be trying them all when he gets that stupid thing called work outa the way :laugh:
Got lots done yesterday, especially given the crap weather... now I know how to drain the front forks and replace the fork oil, bleed the brakes, do a compression test... :Punk:
cheers for all the helpful stuff you guys ;)

Oh and one one other thing I learned... how to get *almost* all the arseholes on KB to post on a thread, thanks to Boomer/Finn/Girlygirl/Iwilde for all your helpful contributions, be sure to pop back in from time to time. :killingme

Finn
15th May 2006, 09:22

Are you threatening Spudracer with sodomy? I think that's against the rules.

boomer
15th May 2006, 09:24
oh and one one other thing I learned... how to get *almost* all the arseholes on KB to post on a thread, thanks to Boomer/Finn/Girlygirl/Iwilde for all your helpful contributions, be sure to pop back in from time to time. :killingme

you need to lighten up, although if your living with Dangerous i can understand why you're a miserable old girl :violin:

_Gina_
15th May 2006, 10:32
Oh and one one other thing I learned... how to get *almost* all the arseholes on KB to post on a thread, thanks to Boomer/Finn/Girlygirl/Iwilde for all your helpful contributions, be sure to pop back in from time to time. :killingme

Well I'll be...!

I thought I was being reasonably helpful, last time I do that then :spudflip:

F5 Dave
15th May 2006, 10:51
. . . If its a coil it may also effect #4 cyl as well but it doesn't look like it is. . .

You mean cyl 3. -2 & 3 are same coil, typo I'm sure.

I'd suspect fuel & would have thought tap was leaking & some crap under the float jet needle of carb 2. But ZZRs idea I wouldn't have thought of, sounds reasonable. I'll try to remember that one cheers. Check float height as well & tiny chance some how the choke was stuck on only on that cylinder, but that is totally unlikely.
If the plug cleans up try running it for a good thrash & the comp may come up in that cylinder, but I wouldn't worry about it if there is another explanation for the plug fouling.

When I got my GS11 the comp was all less than 90, bit of a lap & some miles & it came up ok.

terbang
15th May 2006, 11:00
If its # 2 cylinder then its the fuel cock diaphragm. Is a common problem on GSes..Find the rubber pipe that runs from the cock to the inlet side in front of the Cyl 2 carb (thinner than the fuel line) disconnect it at the cock end and block it with something. Turn the cock to PRI (watch out for any serious leaks) start it up and if the diagphragm is at fault then you should notice an instant difference.

T.W.R
15th May 2006, 11:20
You mean cyl 3. -2 & 3 are same coil, typo I'm sure.

:doh: My bad :shit: I'm full of the flu so i've got an excuse.

I'd still replace the leads though if their even slightly stiff (had 3 bikes do exactly the same thing over the years).
FTW: i'd recommend, Eagle 8mm LPG series hi-temp silicone spiral-core cable. slighlty heavier than stock 7mm M/C plug leads but excellent in conductivity (could almost weld with the spark produced).

And I've got a good idea of who/what the culprit is to have caused the problem to start with but I'm keeping the mouth shut otherwise i'll get scorned, but its clearly visible in the pics in the other thread.

marty
15th May 2006, 11:33
No, but i can imagine some poor bastard saving his/her hard earned cash to be taken by a prick like him.

doesn't even come CLOSE to the tawa piston (turned out of a king country fence post i do believe) i found was the cause of the bike gradually losing power in the XL250 that was MY first ride.

imdying
15th May 2006, 11:41
doesn't even come CLOSE to the tawa piston (turned out of a king country fence post i do believe) i found was the cause of the bike gradually losing power in the XL250 that was MY first ride.Aahahaha, that's classic! Did you get any pictures??

Rashika
15th May 2006, 17:00
you need to lighten up, although if your living with Dangerous i can understand why you're a miserable old girl :violin:
ahhhh sweetie, luv u too.... :killingme ya just made my afternoon! :laugh: bit somehow I think the staffie and the burmese would be kinda lonely if they heard I had moved out.

No strangely enough I was just lending a helping hand, its the kinda thing us southerners do you know... umm well maybe you lot dont, all you guys seem to do is attempt to paint Winjas roof :spudflip:

Rashika
15th May 2006, 17:05
Well I'll be...!

I thought I was being reasonably helpful, last time I do that then :spudflip:

yup, truely helpful ;)

Nice American English...

boomer
15th May 2006, 17:05
its the kinda thing us southerners do you know... umm well maybe you lot dont

You Lot?
Southerners as apposed to Aucklanders/Northerners?

I'm beginning to paint a picture here.. you 'LOT' down south really dont like anyone north of you do you?!

It can get pretty lonely if you restrict yourselves to friends south of you!:laugh: Now which is it.. polar bears or penguins.. i can never fkin remember :confused:

scumdog
15th May 2006, 17:10
You Lot?

I'm beginning to paint a picture here.. you 'LOT' down south really dont like anyone north of you do you?!

It can get pretty lonely if you restrict yourselves to friends south of you!:laugh: Now which is it.. polar bears or penguins.. i can never fkin remember :confused:

Does it matter? They're ALL better than you 'northeners':nya: :laugh:

_Gina_
15th May 2006, 17:13
yup, truely helpful ;)
Sweet, we'll call it 50/50 on the helpfullness-o-meter.

Gg

Kickaha
15th May 2006, 17:23
Oh and one one other thing I learned... how to get *almost* all the arseholes on KB to post on a thread, thanks to Boomer/Finn/Girlygirl/Iwilde for all your helpful contributions

Oi don't I get a mention I tried so hard to:laugh:

Rashika
15th May 2006, 17:29
Yeah okay... outa the closet with us all then... Kickaha was helping too okay?! So I guess it was a threesome huh? no wait...maybe a foursome, cos Thunder was there too, oh yeah and SuziQ... damn fun weekend! ;)

Rashika
15th May 2006, 17:35
You Lot?

oooooo ...did I hit a wee nerve there did I?
Did I mention Auckland or anywhere else? South could be anywhere kiddo ....can I call you that? Guessing you must be cos you think I'm a miserable old girl
damn thats still cracking me up... :killingme

They dont call us one-eyed for no reason y'know

Buddha#81
15th May 2006, 18:10
Are you threatening Spudracer with sodomy? I think that's against the rules.

It was a good comment when iwild doesnt know me:tugger: Sodomy? I can supply the o-ring lube. For the record the GSX was sold under market value and is still knocking around town, probally with the same cracked head. But iwild its a black GSX if get offered one. I'll remember to inform of all faults next time I sell a bike, I consider myself told off!:Offtopic:

Good advise on the fueltap KB is a great resourse for info. I wonder how much money has been spent chasing that fault. Compare a $1000 engine rebuild verses a 20cent piece of rubber.

boomer
15th May 2006, 18:17
oooooo ...did I hit a wee nerve there did I?
Did I mention Auckland or anywhere else? South could be anywhere kiddo ....can I call you that? Guessing you must be cos you think I'm a miserable old girl
damn thats still cracking me up... :killingme

They dont call us one-eyed for no reason y'know

you can call me whatever you like, most others do! I 'spose i can count my lucky stars i'm not black..huh?!

boomer
15th May 2006, 18:21
Cheers for the red bling Dangerous.. t'as been a while huh??? As for the tip...

Dangerous - "cock sucker.... yeah you, I dont live with her, fuck that"

ahahahahahha Now who's hit a nerve?? Ya miserable old cunt(s) ya!!! ;)

and have some green bling in return

dangerous
15th May 2006, 18:33
F5
ZZR
Terbang
TWR
Spud racer
Paturoa Thanks for you help, I'll get onto it next w/e.
This thread is all fucked up now due to the usual wankers of KB, so heres my final say

Fuckwit... helped Speedygirl out the other day, showed her a thing or to... does that mean shes living with me too? I'm a fucking lucky man by you, think you are the miserable old girl somehow

yes you get a mention... yes you tried to be a arsehole again... so for you, heres that old fav attachment of mine (see below) :Punk:

Kickaha was helping too okay?! So I guess it was a threesome huh?
Ohh shit dont tell everone that.. Kick likes to be seen as a arch enemy not a mate, you will spoil his bad boy rep :woohoo:

You Lot?

Ya see this is were you are even more fucked up that usual... we really dont like anyone south of us either :tugger:

Cheers for the red bling Dangerous.. t'as been a while huh??? As for the tip...

Dangerous - "cock sucker.... yeah you, I dont live with her, fuck that"

ahahahahahha Now who's hit a nerve?? Ya miserable old cunt(s) ya!!! ;)

and have some green bling in return
No worries... BTW my last words were f@#k you c#*t... It dosent bother me you edit and advertise what I said... everyone already knows. :msn-wink:

Rashika
15th May 2006, 18:43
you can call me whatever you like, most others do! I 'spose i can count my lucky stars i'm not black..huh?!
ummmm?? not quite sure where you figure that shit out?
I think you are just some odd little kid, whether you be black, white, yellow or pink with purple spots... it dont make no difference to what i think about you..I go by what i see written to form opinions of people

mind you you do ride a Honda :laugh:

terbang
15th May 2006, 18:43
Ahh...Errr excuse me but Hows that Kat going.?

Rashika
15th May 2006, 18:47
Ahh...Errr excuse me but Hows that Kat going.?
hahahaha...you dont REALLY wanna talk about it do you?

errr seemed to be going fine yesterday...apart from the itty bitty sooty plug

boomer
15th May 2006, 19:12
BTW my last words were fuck you cunt... It dosent bother me you edit and advertise what I said... everyone already knows. :msn-wink:

really....Old age has got the better of you again Grumps...:yeah:

ps.. an old girlfriend of mine with the strongest london accent use to love abusing idjiots with the come back "Cock Sucker!" but she said it with such Venom added to the london accent it would rip you in half and leave you speechless.

Unfortunately for you it doesn't seem to have the same edge... i can picture you gasping for teh "clickity" (http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/media/snds-f/O.au) Bottle between words with Rashika sat next to you shaking her head..which I'm sure has a purple rinse:whistle:

Anyhows.. Cher Cher :drinkup:

SpankMe
15th May 2006, 19:20
:Playnice:

boomer
15th May 2006, 19:28
:Playnice:

You want a piece too????:mega:

iwilde
15th May 2006, 19:37
It was a good comment when iwild doesnt know me:tugger: Sodomy? I can supply the o-ring lube. For the record the GSX was sold under market value and is still knocking around town, probally with the same cracked head. But iwild its a black GSX if get offered one. I'll remember to inform of all faults next time I sell a bike, I consider myself told off!:Offtopic:

Good advise on the fueltap KB is a great resourse for info. I wonder how much money has been spent chasing that fault. Compare a $1000 engine rebuild verses a 20cent piece of rubber.

Did you say that in your original post? No you didn't, you seemed so proud to take some poor buggers cash. As for calling me a tugger? :finger: Smell ya mother!

scumdog
15th May 2006, 19:41
really....Old age has got the better of you again Grumps...:yeah:

ps.. an old girlfriend of mine with the strongest london accent use to love abusing idjiots with the come back "Cock Sucker!" but she said it with such Venom added to the london accent it would rip you in half and leave you speechless.

Unfortunately for you it doesn't seem to have the same edge... i can picture you gasping for teh "clickity" (http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/media/snds-f/O.au) Bottle between words with Rashika sat next to you shaking her head..which I'm sure has a purple rinse:whistle:

Anyhows.. Cher Cher :drinkup:

If only you knew what they looked, if only you knew......

NOTHING like the picture you painted!!!

boomer
15th May 2006, 19:42
:finger: Smell ya mother!

lovely!!!

I would have blinged ya but i've been a tart... your loss :ride:

If only you knew what they looked, if only you knew......
NOTHING like the picture you painted!!!

My metal capacity for visualiations is limited due to too much TV as a child; Other areas of my mental capacity are also limited however thats due to classay dwugs.

dangerous
15th May 2006, 20:33
If only you knew what they looked like, if only you knew......

Yeah... I'm the one with the purple rinse and fanny :woohoo:

imdying
16th May 2006, 10:09
So anyway, the fuel diaphram? Any joy with that?

dangerous
16th May 2006, 18:24
So anyway, the fuel diaphram? Any joy with that?
will hook into it in the w/e and will re comp test with oil aswell, too bloody cold in the garage theses days to bother after work.:drinkup:

Buddha#81
16th May 2006, 18:50
will hook into it in the w/e and will re comp test with oil aswell, too bloody cold in the garage theses days to bother after work.:drinkup:

Why do we have to wait till the w/e to sling more poo at you! Get out there you big ginger mellowpuffffffff:mega:

Flyingpony
16th May 2006, 21:31
Remember reading somewhere that the highest and lowest pressure reading should be within 10% of each other. The Kat is just outside of that. All the best with your fault finding.

miSTa
16th May 2006, 21:48

Mmmm, you make to too easy sometimes. Must ... resist ... making ... smart ... comment...

It's a ten second job to check if the diaphragm is rooted, go on put us out of our misery, toughen up.

dangerous
20th May 2006, 19:40
Thanks to those that have P/Med to ask how the Kat is doing :Punk:

Now managed to get out to the garage today and after another spin into town for a rear tyre... they got the wrong tyre in again, but I did sort the rear brakes out.
Now when I got home I figered lets do the comp test again with oil... 1st did a dry test and FUK ME #2 was reading higher than previously... but #3 was down WTF... anyway heres the results
#3 was down 30 odd psi from last w/e whats that about?
anyway 5ml of oil down the hole and it came up to 180

And at this point the batt went dead so that roots that idea... so I blocked the diaphram hose off and turned it to prim.
went for a blast gave the bitch arseholes and have not as yet checked the plugs, I'll do that in the morning and re try the comp test.

The blast I just did on the Kat went like this, if I open the taps up slow it pulls through the revs ok... but if I dump the taps open it puls well at low revs then between 5.5-6.5 it goes dead and misses a bit... hits 7k and hauls arse like nothing touches 8.5 k and the tacho goes directly to the red (clutch slip maybe?)

so apart from the 5-6 dead zone it is very smooth... but... aint 80's brakes crap :woohoo:

Bonez
20th May 2006, 20:28
so apart from the 5-6 dead zone it is very smooth... but... aint 80's brakes crap :woohoo:Only real men can haul early 80s 4s around ah? Seriously though, sounds like you are enjoying the tinkering ;).

paturoa
20th May 2006, 20:33
Only real men can haul early 80s 4s around ah? Seriously though, sounds like you are enjoying the tinkering ;).

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=27104&highlight=gs1000st

That would make me a real man then?
(mrs paturoa can't see this .... whew!)

gav
20th May 2006, 22:29
So have you replaced the air filter yet? Its been sitting for 5 years, have you fitted an inline fuel filter? Could be a lot of crap floating around (and not all of it is in this thread, ya know :laugh: )

dangerous
21st May 2006, 18:17
rule #1... come on guys what is it? if it aint............
while you lot are thinking about it Ill just atend to the internet cheif of police

So have you replaced the air filter yet? Its been sitting for 5 years, have you fitted an inline fuel filter? Could be a lot of crap floating around (and not all of it is in this thread, ya know :laugh: )
yes K&N fitted and fuel line is sweet not a scaret of shit even on the tank filter.

Now... today after the batt was on charge over night I did another comp test and all 4 pots were withen 12psi so I didnt worry about the oil thing
I have no idea why the 1st 3 tests had #2 at a lower comp but all seems well now.

Ok sooty pulg, well after putting cleaned plugs back in and having a wee spin around the hills I wiped the plugs out and what ya know #2 is sotty again... now the fuel tap is on prime and the dia hose is blocked off so thats that theroy of #2 running rich out the door.

Ok so ring about Repcos for the correct plugs 8 not 9 temp and man... why the hell do they only stock ONE plug at each store.
New plugs in and still 5-6rpm it wont pull.

Figgered fuk it had enugh so I put it all back togeather including the filter air box lid on for the 1st time.
One last blast and yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaa, it runs sweet as, pulling right through the rev range.

SO if it aint broke dont fix it... well in this case put the bloody air box lid back on :blip:

paturoa
21st May 2006, 18:36
rule #1... come on guys what is it? if it aint.......

nope you'll have to spell that one out 4 me.

yes K&N fitted and fuel line is sweet not a scaret of shit even on the tank filter.

I fitted K&Ns to my GS1000 and spent hours and hours fucking around, main jets, pilot jets, pilot jet settings, air screws, needle heights, in the end I got pissed off and put it back to original and all easy!

I have no idea why the 1st 3 tests had #2 at a lower comp but all seems well now.

was it at running temp when u did the tests?

Ok sotty pulg, well after putting cleaned plugs back in and having a wee spin around the hills I wiped the plugs out and what ya know #2 is sotty again... now the fuel tap is on prime and the dia hose is blocked off so thats that theroy of #2 running rich out the door.

Wet black sooty or dry fluffy? Dry and fluff is normaly the carb, wet black is normaly caused by oil. It can get past the rings or valve guides. There are little black cap things that go on the top of the valve guide that some times shag out.

Ok so ring about Repcos

Repco is the most expensive place for plugs anywhere. I use a place in New Lynn that is half the price (yes half!)

SO if it aint broke dont fix it... well in this case put the bloody air box lid back on :blip:

ahhh that would be the first rule!

dangerous
21st May 2006, 18:42
I fitted K&Ns to my GS1000 and spent hours and hours fucking around, main jets, pilot jets, pilot jet settings, air screws, needle heights, in the end I got pissed off and put it back to original and all easy!

I didnt do the 4 pod filters just the replacmet filter in the 2nd air box, remember this was doing the 5-6rpm thing before the filter was replaced... as it was so dirty (spiders and all kinds a shit in it) I left the lid off to help it breath.

was it at running temp when u did the tests?
Wet black sooty or dry fluffy?
yip, 1st days tests were only a warm up in the garage today and yesterday I gave it shit round the block 1st.

dry n fluffy see 1st post attach.

Buddha#81
21st May 2006, 20:20
Good shit dude sounds good, now leave it alone and start work getting the MT sorted!!!!!!!!!!

dangerous
21st May 2006, 20:24
Good shit dude sounds good, now leave it alone and start work getting the MT sorted!!!!!!!!!!
Were have you been man... the MT is out for the kill next meet :first:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=603281&postcount=61

paturoa
21st May 2006, 20:40
dry n fluffy see 1st post attach.

When I got my GS it ran like shite and was super rich on low throttle on pots 1 & 3. I checked the pilots and air screws and they were all over the place. I farked around with 1.5 out on both and then just did air screws - no difference. 1 & 3 always ran super rich.

I then pulled the carbs out (I'd like to meet the wanker at suzi who designed the gap between the carbs and airbox on a GS - guess he left there about 25 years ago!).

Anyway stock main jets, slide heights roughtly the same (gave them a tweak), and same pilots.

I then checked the floats and the tangs on the floats 1 & 3 were visually "bent" cf 2 & 4. I then bent them the same as 2 & 4 and hey presto! Took a bit of tweaking to get the same measurment of float height to the carb.

stanko
21st May 2006, 21:03
Awesome, Ill come out Sat and see you thrash Kickaha, maybe.

imdying
22nd May 2006, 14:12
We have the technology to tickle up your brakes mate... some new seals, pads, and some 5.1 fluid and you'll be pulling up as good as is possible with those units :)

dangerous
22nd May 2006, 18:31
We have the technology to tickle up your brakes mate... some new seals, pads, and some 5.1 fluid and you'll be pulling up as good as is possible with those units :)
done the above apart from the 5.1 fluid... whats that about and were do I get it? thought DOT4 was... well, you know all there was.

imdying
23rd May 2006, 09:52
DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 are interchangable, and have progressively higher boiling points. DOT 5 is a silicon based fluid, and stay the hell away from it. You can buy 5.1 pretty much anywhere.

Kickaha
23rd May 2006, 10:25
Only real men can haul early 80s 4s around ah? Seriously though, sounds like you are enjoying the tinkering ;).

Real Men? thats Dangerous fucked then :bleh:

Rashika
23rd May 2006, 13:24
oooooooooo ...and how would you know that Kick? You keeping things from us huh? :shutup:

dangerous
23rd May 2006, 19:12
I'd just like to stop things here for a moment if I may please...
Now I feel it my duty to correct you here Kick, as I wouldnt want you becoming all delousional about me being fucked... I do believe that as from this saturday it will infact be your sorry two stroked arse that will be fucked over by my real mans motorcycle... the Suzuki Katana :blip:

boomer
23rd May 2006, 19:26
Does Maurice know about this liberal arse fukin thats seems to be rampant in teh south Isles?

Kickaha
23rd May 2006, 21:37
I do believe that as from this saturday it will infact be your sorry two stroked arse that will be fucked over by my real mans motorcycle... the Suzuki Katana :blip:

you forget I'm in a win win situation, if you beat me well you are riding a motorcycle with TWICE the cubic capacity of mine you'd have to be pretty crap not to, if I win well then obviously you can't ride for shit :finger:

If it was a real mans bike, you wouldnt be allowed to own one :bleh:

imdying
25th May 2006, 12:12
Oh yeah, can you fit braided lines for your class of racing? If not, I've got some low expansion rubber hose which is the next best thing :) Definitely heaps better than the 20 year old ones :D

F5 Dave
25th May 2006, 16:41
Yeah & as I’ve said ditching that dodgy antidive system is worth about an inch of lever travel.

Lou Girardin
26th May 2006, 16:32
well in this case put the bloody air box lid back on :blip:

You didn't tell us that bit.

dangerous
13th June 2006, 20:58
Ok just a quick update, after last weekends racing the Kat has droped #2 again, well it comes and goes... so carbs out and looked at this week.

NOW I have had a problem with the starter of late... get this the starter sticks on... but if you turn the key off or kill switch it keeps on cranking... thers nothing I can do but wait till the batt dies as it takes too long to get at the battery to disconect it.

WTF do ya reckon thats about???

imdying
13th June 2006, 22:26
Faulty solenoid, or faulty starter button. Possibly the wiring in between, but seeing as those are mechanical, I'd look at them first.

Flyingpony
14th June 2006, 09:11
WTF do ya reckon thats about???
2nd imdying suggestion.
There's always the potential of water in the electrics.

Hey D, is the Kat old enough to be fortunate enough to have a kick start option?

Ixion
14th June 2006, 09:17
Starter "stuck" will be solenoid. Switch would stop on turning the key off.

The main terminals of the starter solenoid connect the battery direct to the starter. If the spring which disengages the contacts once the armature is non energised fails, or the contacts themself become damaged the solenoid may stick.

This can be caused by using the starter for too long a period at a time. The prolonged use causes the contacts to overheat and become rough and pitted due to the surfaces partially welding together. Thenceforth, they do not make good contact because of the rough surface - which means the surrent has a smaller area to pass through, which means local oveheating, and so the cycle continues.

imdying
14th June 2006, 09:51
This can be caused by using the starter for too long a period at a time. It's a Suzuki, so this is more than likely.

dangerous
14th June 2006, 18:13
Starter "stuck" will be solenoid. Switch would stop on turning the key off.

So like the key is off and in my pocket and the kill switch is off... yet it turns over wildly like a haunted shit house??? solenoid huh???
Cheers I

Ixion
14th June 2006, 18:40
Yep. Look at the battery. There will be a thick wire that goes direct to the solenoid. And a thin wire also at the solenoid. And a thick wire from the solenoid to the starter. In the solenoid are two big copper contacts. And a electromagnet. The thin wire is supplied with electricity through the ignition switch ,kill switch and starter switch. When all of those are on, electricity flows through that thin wire to the solenoid, energising the electromagnet. That magnet shoves the two big contacts together. They connect the two big wires together. One big wire direct to battery , no switches in there , other big wire direct to starter motor.

Normally , you turn one of those switches off, no electricty to little wire, no magnet, contacts are pushed apart by a spring, no connection through the thick wires.
But -- if those contacts stay stuck together? They don't care now if there's any current int he little wire. They're going to connect the thick wires come what may. Battery direct to starter motor.

orangeback
14th June 2006, 19:05
sell it to me cheep , and ill put a gsxr donk in it

dangerous
14th June 2006, 19:21
sell it to me cheep , and ill put a gsxr donk in it
no way man, its to much fun... hey I see theres 3 Kats on bike point OZ at the mo 2 have Gixer power plants in em.

paturoa
14th June 2006, 21:10
So what was the go with the kat running on 3 pots for your invergiggle trip?

paturoa
14th June 2006, 21:12
scratch that, just read the thread and saw your response there

Flyingpony
15th June 2006, 08:48
So like the key is off and in my pocket and the kill switch is off... yet it turns over wildly like a haunted shit house??? solenoid huh???
Cheers I
Have you ever removed a starter motor from a car with the battery still connected, start motor still wired up and the ignition key located far away on the kitchen table?

Produces a massive spinster moment in your hands and your pants when it suddenly comes alive after accidently touching something metal on the solenoid points!

Ixion is right.

dangerous
15th July 2006, 09:38
IT'S ALIVE

The Kats purring again
Well, the Kats out of ICU and back home in a comfortable position in the garage.
Now the findings were as we know rooted solanoid, next was a shaged fork seal due to rust and pitted holes on the fork leg... fixed for the mean time thanks to the old trick of sanding the shit out of it and epoxy.

Now #2 pot... carbs, full of water as were the other carbs, but #2 the diaframe had collapsed and the emulsion tube was corroded, the carb also had a different sized jet in it to the other three.
I scored a set of 1100 carbs but it turned out that they were the same size as what the bike already had.

Next w/e is rd3 BEARs so time will tell, but its sounding different and starting sweet.

scumdog
15th July 2006, 09:43
OK it sound different but the $64,000 question is: does it haul any harder than it did before??

Kickaha
15th July 2006, 10:22
OK it sound different but the $64,000 question is: does it haul any harder than it did before??

The biggest performance improvement that bike could get would be a new rider :bleh:

dangerous
15th July 2006, 16:01
The biggest performance improvement that bike could get would be a new rider :bleh:
Ya worried now aint ya? I can tell... dont you worry bout the rider man, just worry bout keeping ya arse on the seat aye :yes:

Like a school boy SD... pulling like a school boy :first:

T.W.R
15th July 2006, 16:27
IT'S ALIVE

The Kats purring again
next was a shaged fork seal due to rust and pitted holes on the fork leg... fixed for the mean time thanks to the old trick of sanding the shit out of it and epoxy.

Good on ya Rangi

Now #2 pot... carbs, full of water as were the other carbs, but #2 the diaframe had collapsed and the emulsion tube was corroded, the carb also had a different sized jet in it to the other three.
I scored a set of 1100 carbs but it turned out that they were the same size as what the bike already had.

You mean you didn't take care of the basics before you started diddling around with it :oi-grr: it's a worry :nya:

(p/t)

TonyB
15th July 2006, 16:28
Very slightly off topic- I have the option of picking up a GSX1100 for $1500. Not reeaaally what I'm looking for, but would it be any good? Ignore that fact that I would be riding it! If a decent rider was on it against a decent rider on something more nimble like an LC would the GSX stand a chance?

Kickaha
15th July 2006, 16:36
Very slightly off topic- I have the option of picking up a GSX1100 for $1500. Not reeaaally what I'm looking for, but would it be any good? Ignore that fact that I would be riding it! If a decent rider was on it against a decent rider on something more nimble like an LC would the GSX stand a chance?

At that price you would be silly not to buy it, and if you dont want to I would be interested in it

with a decent rider yes it would, the LC doesnt have the top end speed or the same punch out of the corners

dangerous
15th July 2006, 17:00
I have the option of picking up a GSX1100 for $1500. Not reeaaally what I'm looking for, but would it be any good?
Mate, they hold there own, I mean like at Teratonga it was a GSX 11 that won each race, be it a rather hoted up bike but it still did the job, and the other 11 there was hauling arse rather well too
So tell me more bout this eleven :doobey:

You mean you didn't take care of the basics before you started diddling around with it :oi-grr: it's a worry :nya:

(p/t)
thats right... be buggered if I was going near 4 carbs, havnt the patents for that, and I aint no rangi :blip:
So thanks to Triumph Street and Sport the bikes tuned rather minities :first:

Kickaha
15th July 2006, 17:05
Mate, they hold there own, I mean like at Teratonga it was a GSX 11 that won each trace, be it a rather hoed up bike but it still did the job, and the other 11 there was hauling arse rather well too
So tell me more bout this eleven :doobey:

Won each race my arse, it only finished one race because it shit the clutch in the 2nd race, the GS1000 won the second and I won the third

Teretonga is also track that suits big bikes because Diesel Pig beat him at Levels on James RD400 and I even passed him a couple of time

Buy it, ring him now, you can always on sell it or trade it if you dont like it

dangerous
15th July 2006, 17:39
Won each race my arse, it only finished one race because it shit the clutch in the 2nd race, the GS1000 won the second and I won the third

Teretonga is also track that suits big bikes because Diesel Pig beat him at Levels on James RD400 and I even passed him a couple of time

Buy it, ring him now, you can always on sell it or trade it if you dont like it
You couldent win ya way out of a paper bag, hop a long kid :yawn:

gav
16th July 2006, 01:03
Its not the yellow GSX11 that Spudracer sold with the cracked cylinder head, is it? (see page 2 or 3 of this thread)

T.W.R
16th July 2006, 01:15
thats right... be buggered if I was going near 4 carbs, havnt the patents for that, and I aint no rangi :blip:
So thanks to Triumph Street and Sport the bikes tuned rather minities :first:

:laugh: whats scary about working with 4 carbs, you only do one at a time then 3 sets of two when you balance them :wait:

:bleh: so it's tuned up mmm? means it'll be faster than the Nero :nya:

TonyB
16th July 2006, 07:25
Its not the yellow GSX11 that Spudracer sold with the cracked cylinder head, is it? (see page 2 or 3 of this thread)
hehe, nah I doubt if this bloke would be stupid enough to buy one in that state:innocent:

Kickaha
16th July 2006, 09:37
so it's tuned up mmm? means it'll be faster than the Nero :nya:

isnt everything? :lol: