PDA

View Full Version : Sugilite Race Report - Actrix Series Round One

sugilite
15th May 2006, 00:06
POST CLASSIC - 1989 Kawasaki ZXR750 H1
Yep, I converted my newly acquired ZXR750 to a part time postie race bike! (see attached photo that I took on friday)
What should have been a straight forward enough job was any thing but! Being an old bike, it pulled what I came to term "surprises" on me at seemingly every turn. I wont go into detail, but suffice to say It took 2 all nighters (this msg is sponsored by the energy drink "V") and only 4 combined hours sleep for the other 2 nights during the 4 day conversion process.
I felt behind the eight ball a bit not having been on a race track since early January, (reading all those taupo and puke race reports, bastards!) so I decided to rock up to the practice day on the Friday. I'd just unloaded the bikes and news came through that a car had just dropped oil around 80% of the track and as it was raining, was already 3 meters wide. They then closed the track for the day. :brick:
I'd not had a chance to even try my "guessed" jetting settings I had chosen. Great. I felt sorry for poos and othe rKB friend with him as they had ridden and driven up!

It was pissing down at home on the Saturday, so no jetting tryout on the local road either, better and better, not <_<

After a positively luxurious 5 hours sleep, (I finished grooving the 9's intermediate tyres just before midnight Saturday night) I turn up at the track in 2nd position behind pole sitter Brent Finlay! It was about ten to seven. While sitting there waiting for the gates to open I find myself thinking "great, my build up to this consists of a Kiwi Biker road ride about 6 weeks ago, a couple of advanced road rider training sessions for some KB'ers and a bash at Taupo on the ZX9R early last January. So not the best preperation! "

I got out in the all in scrub session and the bike ran like a pig as soon as it hit the main jets, just the sort of stuff I wanted to iron out on the Friday Grrrr. So I do a plug chop and pull into the pits. I only have 2 races before mine to get it sorted, and they are only 6 lap races! I whip the tail section, seats and tank off and find number 3 spark plug is black. I suspected the vacuum seal. I remember a trick Richard taught me about sealing them with vasiline. I did not have any, so ... (close your eyes Richard) used some chain lube hehehe)
I just got her together before qualifying, straight away it was heaps better, the motor was hauling arse!
The track was real dirty from Fridays Oil spill mop up. The sweeper resembled a berm in places!!! It turns out I qualified on pole, so cool

RACE 1: I got a really crap start. My clutch on the bike at present is very marginal, it was telling me "abuse me and pay the price" :laugh:
I was about 6th or 7th into the 1st corner. As soon as we hit the straights, the bike seemed to be losing power. I battled my way through to third and thats where I finished, I rode a lot harder than qualifying but was only 1 second a lap faster. hmmmm

Race 2: It had started to rain, I only had 3 races to swap to wet tyres, it was kind off on and off showers with patches of sun, in other words typical bloody winter Manfield! I went with a full wet frount and a intermediate rear I had finished grooving up that morning. (an old slick from the 9)
I only just made it out, with no warm up lap and I was starting on stone cold tyres!
I got away with loads of wheel spin, was about 6th into the 1st corner and got passed by a few people.
I started to get feeling from the tyres after a few laps and the intermediate rear was actually working quite well!
What a pity the motor wasn't!
You know something is up when you have to pass 400's under brakes and not so much under power lol.
I started to haul in the riders in front and worked myself into 2nd place and held that till the finish, the bike now sounding and going much worse.

Rain stopped play so there was no race three.
I did find out why the motor was running so badly. I took out the air filter and it had ripped right down the middle and the disintegrating foam rubber had been sucked into the carbs!

All considering I thought it was a OK debut on the 750. I'm looking forward to getting a new air filter, and finally getting the 17 year old shock rebuilt for the 1st time in it's life! I'm guessing there will be 2 seconds a lap right there.

A special thanks goes to Hewitt Motorcycles in Dannevirke. Matt, Aaron and Dave really came through for me, even when suppliers seemed to be stuffing up at every turn! I also got phone support/therapy sessions from Richard in Australia!

Current Position in Post Classic Senior Championship: 1ST

FORMULA ONE: Kawasaki 1998 ZX9R C1
In contrast to the 750, Richard has left me an incredible just add gas and ride package!
Qualifying: Straight away I felt real weird on it, just after stepping off the 750, the seat height is a lot taller, it is lighter and the bars are splayed really wide like a supermoto bike in an effort to give me as much leverage as possible to combat my fellow competitors late model hyper bikes.
Another thing I notice is how much dirtier the track is on the 170 hp ZX9R than the 100 hp 750. (err make todays 750 about 70 hp at best!)
It just spun up the back wheel so fast it was freaking me. where i had given it "heaps" on the 750, the 9 was spinning the tyre at less than 1/4 throttle. :gob:

I get stuck in traffic and slowly are coming to grips with the bike. I just get past the traffic and was busy putting down a "hot Lap" I got the dreaded blubble, blubber bluble, damn! I pulled into pit lane and quickly realized I had turned the fuel tap onto "on" and not "reserve" position like I thought! :doh:
I quiclky turned the tap on and shot back to the track, then got one more complete lap with traffic stopping any chance of said hot lap. :pinch:
Franky, I never got that comfortable with the 9 and felt I had ridden like a Nana. Imagine my surprise to find I'd made it to 6th on the grid just a little over a second behind pole. A second row start!

I'd noticed the brakes were not that hot and looking at them in the pits I saw the right hand fork seal was a gonna. I cleaned it up as best I could and decided to just factor in some safety area under brakes, ride for points and keep an eye on things on a corner by corner basis!

Race 1: It started to just spit a little on the dummy grid. I prayed since I was on slicks! I got a pretty good start, for sure I could have holeshotted but got pinched out by two bikes in front and had to back off. Came into turn one in 4th, and made that 3rd before the left hander in the esses. Coming out the hairpin, 2nd place got thrown out of his seat, so took a easy scalp there. I started to pressure 1st place and mad e pass. Up till then I'd been able to gauge how wet the track was by looking for the tell tale trails the people in front start to leave when the moisture starts to build up. The moisture level varied from corner to corner, so that made for some fun.
If course once I was in frount I had to constantly feel and monitor traction. When the track is like that, once the rear lets go, the water droplets join up and it can get past the point of no return in a blink of an eye! I managed to pull a gap and hold it. The fork seal issue made it self known so i was pretty conservitive on the down graded brakes. I took it real easy on the last lap to make sure I "bought her home". It's the old cliche, to finish first, first you must finish! :hitcher:

I raced into the pits knowing I only had 3 shortened races to change the tyres. I had just got it done (thanks to a KB'er who took the rear wheel off for me) just as i was ready to roll out (5 tyres changes for this day!) they called the meeting off. In prior years, they would not have called the meeting off, I guess after last years tragedy safety is right at the top of the list. Though I was disapointed not to go out, I understand and respect the decision to call the meeting off.

Current Position in Superbike Championship: 1ST

I'd like to thank Richard Leong (Dickytoo) We are a small team that runs on pure passion, because it sure ain't money! We do not run on a shoe string budget, we run on a smell of a shoe string budget!
I've not had a new set of tyres on the bike for 4 years now, I cannot even remember what they feel like. So it's all on 2nd hand tyres (the poor old 750 gets hand me downs off hand me downs lol). It has taken Richard 5 years of HARD work to turn the bike from a disaster into a race winner (time frame due to lack of $$$ on my part)
Richard owns the bike and the van I use to transport it. I could simply not do it without you bro.
I reflect with some irony that I win it's first race after you have moved to Aussie!
Anyways. I dedicate this win to you bro, I really missed you today, even more as a friend than as a bloody good mechanic and....tyre changer!:headbang:

A special thanks to BMW (Bloody Mad Woman) with her assistance in the pits today, your help was totally invaluable!

So all in all, A bloody awesome day at the office, I've come away with the lead in both championships.
Sure, I know next month will be a lot tougher, but the ZX9R is going pretty well, (this year we replaced the 7 race season old pistons!) so I do not plan to make it easy for the hordes of up and coming new riders.

I know this has been a long winded race report, it has been a hell of a week and I just wanted to get that lot of my chest!

I had a dude that works in the bike shop I support and he told me on friday, "This project (750) is doomed, why don't you call the Weekend off"

Quite often for me, the sweetest fruit of all is found upon conquering adversity. I call it "creating your own reality" :ride:
Cheers
Sugilite

PS: I'm going to sleep now, I may be some time! :zzzz:

Crasherfromwayback
15th May 2006, 00:15
As if you'd go ANYWHERE without vasiline.....

sugilite
15th May 2006, 00:24
Nice quote there mate. :laugh:

Crasherfromwayback
15th May 2006, 00:26
Yeah didn't mean to waste all that space...

dickytoo
15th May 2006, 02:30

I swear that the vaseline was only for use on the bike! and if any of you buggers think otherwise, it's not my fault your mama didn't raise you right!

Anyway, excellent report, anthony. I'd like to think it's a team effort with thanks to many people who have helped us along, not forgeting derek mcadam for his advise and help in doing the cam timing, and the brace bits, etc.

Keep it up buddy:Punk: . hopefully, i can arrange a trip back sometime soon.

skelstar
15th May 2006, 09:19
Awesome. Is that the ZXR750 that we saw on that ride up the coast and over the P-track 6 weeks ago Sugi?

DemonWolf
15th May 2006, 09:41
Great race report writeup. Keep 'em coming =)

cowpoos
15th May 2006, 09:42
bloody awesome stuff dude...you and bmw were working bloody hard in the pits...effort paid off in the end....awesome stuff anthony....and yer...friday was a bitch!!!!!!!

sugilite
15th May 2006, 15:19
Awesome. Is that the ZXR750 that we saw on that ride up the coast and over the P-track 6 weeks ago Sugi?

Yep, the very same. It has a Arrow exaust on it now. Other than that, the bike is stock. My next mod is a new airfilter :laugh:

sugilite
15th May 2006, 15:23
Cheers Poos.
I look forward to the day you get out there on ya pending project :woohoo:

When I get my shock back from Bruins, I may have to come to the Takas for a full moon test ride, Get up a bit earlier for the milking and join the fun mate :ride:

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
15th May 2006, 15:27
Great report. All the hard work and persistence was worth it! By the way - this pit crew person does not clean bikes normally - dickyto/Richard the 9 is clean cos I cleaned it!!!
Cheers

cowpoos
15th May 2006, 16:03
Cheers Poos.
I look forward to the day you get out there on ya pending project :woohoo:

I mite hav had a delusion of grandure....I'll keep ya posted.....mite happen sooner than planned....

Ps:anyone got some spare fairings for a gixxer 750?

dss3
15th May 2006, 16:19
Nice one mate, you sure smoked me thats for sure...

Daryl

loosebruce
15th May 2006, 17:07
Ps:anyone got some spare fairings for a gixxer 750?

As in spare race farings???

Hey Ant sorry not to catch up with you (in the pits anyway lol) you were looking smooth out there, i got a first class seat to sit and watch you guys from haha, wont always be that way i hope (for me).

See you at round 2, will swing over to say hi, great see the ZX9R on pace as well, up against more morden machinary, but as they say, it's not the tool...........

Wicked

Bert
15th May 2006, 18:00
Great writeup Sugilite

so I decided to rock up to the practice day on the Friday. I'd just unloaded the bikes and news came through that a car had just dropped oil around 80% of the track and as it was raining, was already 3 meters wide. They then closed the track for the day. :brick:
I'd not had a chance to even try my "guessed" jetting settings I had chosen. Great. I felt sorry for poos and othe rKB friend with him as they had ridden and driven up!

Bloody formula fords, what a way to waste a day of annual leave.

Current Position in Post Classic Senior Championship: 1ST

Current Position in Superbike Championship: 1ST

So all in all, A bloody awesome day at the office, I've come away with the lead in both championships.

best result that you could ask for :headbang:
Cheers for your advice and help for a newbe racer on friday and sunday. Catch you next month.

Bert

Mental Trousers
15th May 2006, 18:18
Fecken hell, I thought vtec liked to write novels.

Good on ya.

chanceyy
15th May 2006, 19:09
Hi sugi

great result after all that hard work :done:

enjoy your write ups bud,

look forward to the next episode .. :soon:

mikey
15th May 2006, 19:26
wish i could of been more help, but im dangerous around bikes with spanners, better at lightin ciggies an opening beers. congrats man, I wouldn dare ride push that hard in the rain on slicks!

cowpoos
15th May 2006, 19:43
As in spare race farings???

yup!.......I said it was a delusion of grandure......but might be a larf.

vtec
15th May 2006, 22:50
Can't ask for better than no.1 mate. There were some seriously talented rider's in that field. Great report.. I love to hear about the hardwork that goes into it behind the scenes for some reason. Makes me all emotional.:crybaby: Hearing about good results is always a buzz too. Respect in your direction.

Fecken hell, I thought vtec liked to write novels.

Good on ya.

All my novels are done in about an hour and a half. I can cut 'em to the chase if you like... Wasn't sure if there was too much waffle in 'em.

babyB
15th May 2006, 23:19
Can't ask for better than no.1 mate. There were some seriously talented rider's in that field. Great report.. I love to hear about the hardwork that goes into it behind the scenes for some reason. Makes me all emotional.:crybaby: Hearing about good results is always a buzz too. Respect in your direction.

All my novels are done in about an hour and a half. I can cut 'em to the chase if you like... Wasn't sure if there was too much waffle in 'em.

well said vtec i agree
well done Sugilite good to hear you out there again & doing well

VasalineWarrior
15th May 2006, 23:45

If only I had been there.....

Great report Sugilite, how the hell did you manage to RACE that 750? My grandmothers hip replacement has more rebound than that rear shock of yours! Will have to catch ya at the next one

Two Smoker
16th May 2006, 09:18
Wicked stuff ant :niceone: Awesome way to start the season :niceone:

dickytoo
16th May 2006, 20:53
Great report. All the hard work and persistence was worth it! By the way - this pit crew person does not clean bikes normally - dickyto/Richard the 9 is clean cos I cleaned it!!!
Cheers

hey bmw,

good to hear from you. anthony told me about your sterling efforts in the pits. can you do me a favour and yell at anthony once in awhile so he doesn't miss me?:laugh:

Uncle B
17th May 2006, 07:13
how the hell did you manage to RACE that 750? My grandmothers hip replacement has more rebound than that rear shock of yours!
I was thinking the same thing. When I rode the 750 I thought, HOW THE HELL DOES HE DO IT!........wicked skills Sugi :headbang:
With all the dramas, headaches and weather woes........you love it.

Well done that man :Punk:

Mental Trousers
17th May 2006, 09:47

Novels are great to read at work mate. Keep em coming, they're entertaining.

sugilite
18th May 2006, 11:57
Nice one mate, you sure smoked me thats for sure...

Daryl
cheers, next month with a dry clean track, i'm sure we will be having lots of good dices!

See you at round 2, will swing over to say hi, great see the ZX9R on pace as well, up against more morden machinary, but as they say, it's not the tool...........

Wicked
Cool bruce, will be cool to do the meet n greet thing...

Cheers for your advice and help for a newbe racer on friday and sunday. Catch you next month.

Bert

Cheers Bert, not sure I was that much help to you, but for sure will catch up with you next round...

wish i could of been more help, but im dangerous around bikes with spanners, better at lightin ciggies an opening beers. congrats man, I wouldn dare ride push that hard in the rain on slicks!
No worries man, I'll know who to come to when I need a beer opened :drinkup:
I only went that fast because BMW threatened to tell Richard the 9 was dirty :laugh:

I was thinking the same thing. When I rode the 750 I thought, HOW THE HELL DOES HE DO IT!........wicked skills Sugi :headbang:
With all the dramas, headaches and weather woes........you love it.

Well done that man :Punk:

Cheers Uncle, let me know when your ready for round 2 on the advanced road riding thing :ride:

Also, a big thanks to Chanceyy, cowpoos, Demonwolf, Babyb, Mental Trousers, Two smoker, VasalineWarrior, Vtec and the others for their supportive comments.:woohoo:

Motoracer
18th May 2006, 16:43
Good stuff man. I watched the whole race and I was very impressed with your smooth riding in the wet. Good stuff!

Catch you and BMW on the next round next month.

sugilite
18th May 2006, 20:03
Cheers Motoracer, was great to meet you last Sunday.

I'm really lucky my ZXR750 H1 consultant the HAWK eyed T.W.R. picked up she was really low in the back.
I myself had thought so, I also considered it steered like a barge and often ran wide. Having read a test where the tester had said Kawasaki had designed a bike for the type of person that has really short legs and really long arms, so I assumed that was just the way it was supposed to be!
Not only did T.W.R. point it out, he also told me about the eccentric cam ride height adjuster and sent me scanned photos from the manual, but a nice set of instructions!!! :woohoo:

Sure enough it was on it's lowest setting, so now it is on the tallest. I just tested it on the local test track, and wow!!! She steers soooooo much faster and goodbye ground clearance issues! I can hardly wait to get back to the track, there is 2+ seconds with that mod alone me thinks!

Thanks TWR, you the man and bling on the way!:first:

Crasherfromwayback
21st May 2006, 04:51
Tisk tisk....if you truly bleed green....you should've known that mate.
Sifter.

sugilite
26th May 2006, 01:13
Heres a piccie of me in qualifying. Just taken it easy, hmmm, whats for lunch? :scooter:

Crasherfromwayback
26th May 2006, 07:16
Nice one!
Good luck for round two mate!!

Steve_R6R
12th June 2006, 21:34
:first: Congradulations. Looks like some big guns coming out this weekend. Great write up and excellent tyre changing!

"I had a dude that works in the bike shop I support and he told me on friday, "This project (750) is doomed, why don't you call the Weekend off""
Who was that !?

Good front page on the vegas news too.

Uncle B
12th June 2006, 22:32
Sweet pic of you doing the bizz Sugi.
I'll be up to watch/support/cheer at the next round.

Gotta find some green face paint :nya:

Sparky Bills
12th June 2006, 23:05

Come see me, Ill chuck some spray paint on your account:blip:

Uncle B
12th June 2006, 23:20
Come see me, Ill chuck some spray paint on your account:blip:
I'll cheer for you too Martin.

Now I've got to find me some pink face paint to match the Honda. :nya: :nya:

MOTOXXX
13th June 2006, 09:03

oh thats burn!!

Sparky Bills
13th June 2006, 10:18

Na, its ok.
We Honda riders already have enough support:innocent:

cowpoos
13th June 2006, 15:21
Na, its ok.

its not support....hon-duh riders attract crowds coz its so bloody funny watching you guys try your arses off keeping up with the rest!!!

sugilite
14th June 2006, 23:35

Cheers for the support Uncle, I make my own green face paint every time I sneeze with a cold :shutup:

:first: Congratulations. Looks like some big guns coming out this weekend. Great write up and excellent tyre changing!

"I had a dude that works in the bike shop I support and he told me on Friday, "This project (750) is doomed, why don't you call the Weekend off""
Who was that !?

Good front page on the vegas news too.

Hey man, come and introduce ya self on Sat, I've seen your bike and your tyres in Hewitts, but never you lol

Hmmm, yes the big guns have certainly entered, I hope it's going to be dry, I'm a woose in the wet....really notice the extra weight of my bike too.
I'm just there to have fun, it's not like I'm on the latest and greatest bike and feel pressure to win. If I take a gun or twos scalp, all good, if not, I'm just happy to zoom around the track :yes:

I'll tell you who said "that" when you do, he actually goes out of his way to help me, so don't want to do a public name and shame lol.

Na, its ok.

I see you have entered the superbike class for round 2, another bloody 600 for me to try and beat! I'm quite sure I could lap at least as fast and most likely faster on a 600 if I had one. People prob think I'm way to tall, well I'd have news for them hehehe. I rode one for the 1st time on the street a while back and was well impressed.
I've counted like 36 entries in the class now, I've never seen that many entries in Superbike ever! Fark!!!

I'm taking this race really seriously now, I've even replaced the spark plugs in the 9 for the 1st time in 4 years! Naturally the bike is partially in bits. I had a slipping clutch at last Saturdays practice and have only been able to do a dodgy sand the metal plates as a fix since my new kevlar plates do not arrive from the States till next week, DOH!
I only got one full session in at the end, and it was hesitating out the corners, so I'm bloody hoping that fresh fuel instead of the 3 month old stuff I had in it and new plugs fixes that issue up.
My rebuilt forks are using heavier weight oil now, the ride is definitely harsh, but I was able to really push hard into the corners on my one session I got. That "should" help me keep some of the 600's in sight as I've always suffered in regards to mid corner speed due to a much heavier bike and last centuries chassis technology! :yes: