PDA

View Full Version : Advice/Charity needed :D

Ghost Lemur
11th May 2004, 02:03
Well I've got $1k saved so far towards getting me on two wheels, and yet I still feel so far from it.

So far I've been offered an '89 CBR250 Hurricane for $2400, well looked after etc. But what do you generous fellows have coming up. Some of you must be looking at upgrading in the very near future. I'm not above accepting charity, so feel free to offer me your beautiful baby at a rediculously low price. Sexual favours and vital organs are also available for partial payment. :D

Seriously though with the $1k saved so far and a brand new laptop just waiting to be ordered (and then promptly sold). I should have ~$2500. BTW if any of you know of someone in the market for a brand new Dell give me a hollar (nothing dodgy, I get it due to the course I'm studying and although I'd love to keep it - who doesn't like toys - I'd rather have a bike). The laptop I'm entitled to retails for ~$1900 so I figure $1500 is more than fair, but if I find someone willing before I can always order the necessary upgrades for them at their expense.

Am I being to wishful? Should I settle for a hack that I can't be proud of? The bug has bitten and the bite has got infected, ride I must.

Shawn
11th May 2004, 02:50
Wow…looks like another bum student like me…lol… :wavey: ...hey ghost, I tried for couple of months to save up some to buy a bike, but finally I gave up as it just takes too dame long (specially if you have super low/no income like me) and when it bites u , u simply don’t wanna wait….

i dunno if you are up for this, but as it seems like you are a student, thought this might help…if you are full time student and have a tertiary account in National , ASB bank you are entitled for a 5 grand loan…which u can use to buy a car or comp or stuff like that…if you receive student allowance or loan and if u at least work around 12h/week then it should be real easy for you to get that…(took me 2 days!!) and u don’t have to take whole 5 grand, whatever u need…and the best thing about it is the interest rate for this is only 8.25%, was 7.85% when I started (god damn it!!..)…still pretty competitive rate if you ask me…specially compare to all those bike shop HP…and u can pay it back in a fairly long time period, depending on your course length and graduation year…but if u can even manage to get 2 or 3 years…your payment will be only 31/week or around that figure…and I think that’s kinda affordable for almost all full time students..also at the end of ur loan period you only end up paying $500 on top of your loan (that includes everything)..thats if you take the whole amount (5 grand) for 3 years…what I did though , I paid off almost all of it during summer as I worked full time…if you can do that then it’s even better…dunno if it’s gonna soothe your situation, just wanted to inform ya, as I feel your need…good luck… :)
Shawn

FROSTY
11th May 2004, 10:35
hey dude --trw www.te.co.nz there were a couple of cheap bikes in there.
Um I saw a rgv150 in there for about a grand

Ms Piggy
11th May 2004, 12:09
Wow…looks like another bum student like me…lol… :wavey: ...hey ghost, I tried for couple of months to save up some to buy a bike, but finally I gave up as it just takes too dame long (specially if you have super low/no income like me) and when it bites u , u simply don’t wanna wait….

i dunno if you are up for this, but as it seems like you are a student, thought this might help…if you are full time student and have a tertiary account in National , ASB bank you are entitled for a 5 grand loan…which u can use to buy a car or comp or stuff like that…if you receive student allowance or loan and if u at least work around 12h/week then it should be real easy for you to get that…(took me 2 days!!) and u don’t have to take whole 5 grand, whatever u need…and the best thing about it is the interest rate for this is only 8.25%, was 7.85% when I started (god damn it!!..)…still pretty competitive rate if you ask me…specially compare to all those bike shop HP…and u can pay it back in a fairly long time period, depending on your course length and graduation year…but if u can even manage to get 2 or 3 years…your payment will be only 31/week or around that figure…and I think that’s kinda affordable for almost all full time students..also at the end of ur loan period you only end up paying $500 on top of your loan (that includes everything)..thats if you take the whole amount (5 grand) for 3 years…what I did though , I paid off almost all of it during summer as I worked full time…if you can do that then it’s even better…dunno if it’s gonna soothe your situation, just wanted to inform ya, as I feel your need…good luck… :)
Shawn

Thanks for the info Shawn! Now you've got me thinking that an upgrade might be possible sooner rather than later! :2thumbsup

Hey GL - I reckon you should get ahack to get ya going on then go for something better later. I guess it depends how much riding experience you have though. Keep us updated on what you decide to do :yes:

Ghost Lemur
11th May 2004, 14:25
Thanks for the advice so far. Unfortunately my ability to get any sort of loan is highly unlikely. I also promised my gf I wouldn't get one unless I could buy it outright, hense my willingness to sell things I'd otherwise love to keep. Hell I've even considered getting rid of my main computer/last remaining system (If you knew me you'd know just how shocking the thought of me without a computer is).

As far as I can see I have maybe 4 options.

1. Buy a ultra-cheap whatever. cb250 maybe?
pro's: gives me a bike right now. cheap to run, repair, replace.
con's: poor performance, not what I want (and so more likely to be abused),

2. Buy a 150.
pro's: better performance than (1.), cheaper than (3.),
con's: likely to have been thrashed abused by previous owner, light (can explain down further), lack of relsale value?

3. Buy a 250.
pro's: better performance than (1. and 2.), good value retention,
con's;likely to have been thrashed/abused by previous owner, high cost for bike itself (and parts?)

4. Do without. Keep saving/selling whatever I can and get a 400 or maybe 600 when I can afford it.
pro's: about the same price as a similar yr/condition 250, more likely to learn quality bike handling skills(*)
con's: longer before I'm on two wheels, increased likelyhood of getting into trouble (having a larger bike before I'm supposed to)

*= My comments on handling skills also relate to the con about 150 being light. I'm a skinny geek of a fellow, and as such I know my ability to control a larger bike will have more to do with my technical skills (throttle control etc) than anything else. I'm a little worried that getting a 150, I might get into the habit of being able to throw the bike around. I'd rather not have to try and break bad habits later. This may all be unfounded i'm not sure, but just something I've been very concious about.

All advice is appreciated.

FROSTY
11th May 2004, 14:31
I'd for sure be going for option 1 right now --Why? because its heading into winter and ye summer commuter types are thinking its sell bike time.
Keep it 6 months or so Learn your basic biker skills then sell it when commuters are gonna be in higher demand--just into summer
The advantage too is if ya bin it its cheap and easy to get fixed :Punk:

DEATH_INC.
11th May 2004, 15:08
I'd for sure be going for option 1 right now --Why? because its heading into winter and ye summer commuter types are thinking its sell bike time.
Keep it 6 months or so Learn your basic biker skills then sell it when commuters are gonna be in higher demand--just into summer
The advantage too is if ya bin it its cheap and easy to get fixed :Punk:

I second that!Just get the cheapie to get going.Look at it this way too,a cheapie doesn't lose much value (unless you wreck it...)so you can keep saving then sell it when you have some extra cash.....

Drunken Monkey
11th May 2004, 17:03
Dude, if you already have a car, do #4. It's not worth financing a toy - beleive me, I've spent many many months in debt getting myself out of the same trap - twice.

If it's going to be your one and only form of transport, then do as xjxjxj suggests.

I'm sure it's easy for all of us who are lucky enough to ride what we want now that we're old and working (!) to say, but as uncool as you may think a CB250 or GN250 is, they are the best thing you can get to learn on.

*ahem*
And before you say anything (DnT especially!), do as I say, and not as I do!

Big Dog
11th May 2004, 17:13
I second that!Just get the cheapie to get going.Look at it this way too,a cheapie doesn't lose much value (unless you wreck it...)so you can keep saving then sell it when you have some extra cash.....
I'll third that and add that you must not forget to get some quality gear.

The smart thing to do would be spend $1-1500 on gear and get a $500 or free for removal (as some bike shops will do for a keen learner who looks promising to buy a real bike in a year or so) they will be too dodgy to sell but will sign it over for disposal) make yourself look more serious promising by buying a quality helmet, jacket, boots, gloves.

You will lose the least money that way and stand to lose the least (skin that is) if you bin it.

As to a light bike teaching bad habits?
I found it real easy to get on a bigger bike afterward but appreciated the ability to throw the bike around when neccesary, like when I ran out of skill before I ran out of corner etc.

Sometimes you need to be able to bully your bike into submission.

Two Smoker
11th May 2004, 17:22
Definately go for number one, this is because it is winter, and you can use no where near the full performance of a bike due to the weather..... Spend the extra dollars on getting decent gear, that way you have a bike and decent gear, then keep saving and buy a better bike in 6 months time :niceone: KK had a CB250RS (and we all know how fast he is :crazy: ) and he said he never found the limits of the CB250RS like he has with his other bikes :niceone: also CB250RS has about 30HP which doesnt make it a slow mover :niceone:

Wenier
11th May 2004, 18:51
U can buy my ZXR250 for 3k its an awesome bike and i jus moved to blenheim. But you'll probably want something cheaper although 250s are real good to learn on and you can go pretty quick once you get good at riding.

Posh Tourer :P
11th May 2004, 21:52
I would buy a hack. You *will* bin a bike, and a hack is easy to fix. Plus you can get some good gear. Also, there is more to handling a bike than throttle control. A little light bike will teach you very well how to recognise the limits, when the tyres are sliding, how far over you can go etc etc. There are lots of applicable lessons. All you have to do when you get on a bigger bike is then tone down the throttle a little bit. A small bike is easier to learn on and easier to pick up. Dont underestimate the difficulty of riding a small bike to its limits (or any bike for that matter). Riding any bike to its limits is fun, just some bikes eg CB125s, are too stretched on most roads. Get a bike that can do 120kmh comfortably, and that will be all you need. Then you can try whatever you want to on some nice tight roads, and learn how to ride well on a bad machine. This is a common training technique BTW, kinda like a soccer goalie practicing in bad light to sharpen the reactions - make your conditions (in this case the bike) less than perfect, and it will teach you to use all your capabilities, and train you to improve faster.

Ghost Lemur
12th May 2004, 00:02
Well for once in my life I'm going to take some good advice when it's given to me and go with the majority of your opinions and get a hack.

BD - Do you have any places in particular in mind when it comes to getting a hack, or is it just a gerenality and I just ask all the local shops?

As for gear. To me, having quality gear is not an option... it is a necessity. I have two young sons to think about and a girl friend who is scared enough about the idea of me and a motorbike without adding to that by taking additional risks. Leathers etc, as far as I'm concerned are as important as tyres and brakes.

So can I get some recommendations on bikes and prices?

12th May 2004, 08:15
Honda CB250RS
Suzuki FXR150
Suzuki RG150 'E' for extra grunt!!:P
Suzuki GN250

riffer
12th May 2004, 09:05
How about the following:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/mcat-0001%2D0026%2D1255%2D/0001-0026-1255-1285-/auction-11432605.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/mcat-0001%2D0026%2D1255%2D/0001-0026-1255-1285-/auction-11417673.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/mcat-0001%2D0026%2D1255%2D/0001-0026-1255-1285-/auction-11391203.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/mcat-0001%2D0026%2D1255%2D/0001-0026-1255-1285-/auction-11437686.htm

12th May 2004, 11:49
Shit!! I'd do a buy now on that RG.... bloody cheap there's gotta be something wrong with it.... rego will only cost you the $270 to get it legal....

Big Dog
12th May 2004, 15:53
BD - Do you have any places in particular in mind when it comes to getting a hack, or is it just a gerenality and I just ask all the local shops?

You will need to ask around, build a relationship, explain what you want to achieve and how it will benifit them, buy all the gear you intend to buy through them (even if they have to order in something you tried at another store).

You should not need to give them a guarantee that you will buy your first decent bike of them but I only offered first chance. I had to buy it in the end but that was conditional on my getting 100% back when I upgraded in three months, that was warranted but with no rego. I bought two more bikes off him and referred at least three other buyers. If I still lived in NP I would still be buying off him and still spending 6-10k a year with him, that is what you are offering.

Because of the need to build a relationship I would reccommend you try the smaller dealers as the bigger ones would rather throw the things in a skip than take the time to move it on. Be prepared for the fact a freebie may need you to do a lot of work to make it rideable.

FROSTY
12th May 2004, 15:59
I might have an answer for you Ill know tonight-- I just got offered a 2002 fxr 150 as a trade in on a car-- Im workin in it but should be about 1500

Ghost Lemur
12th May 2004, 16:25
I might have an answer for you Ill know tonight-- I just got offered a 2002 fxr 150 as a trade in on a car-- Im workin in it but should be about 1500

*holds breath* :D

pete376403
12th May 2004, 17:11
talk to this guy - might be worth it
Originally Posted by Sk8r_Boi_
Hey, yeah i had a suzuki rg150 but someone hit me off it so may [B]dad[/B} bought me a kawasaki zxr250 but i still have my suzuki rg150 but its just abit broken and in parts if you know what i mean?...i dont use it anymore cause i have my kawasaki zxr250.......