PDA

View Full Version : exhaust packing - what a bastard of a job. Help please!

cheese
16th May 2006, 23:23
Ok so When my crank seal blew my packing got full of oil. So I've just pulled it all out and I've noticed that the pipe that runs down teh center is looking a tad blocked. So I've soaked it in petrol overnight. Will I have to drill out the back end so I can remove the pipe thingy and clean it out with a wire brush or something????? It's rivited which makes it a tad more tricky as I don't have a rivit gun!!

Bah!!!!

any tips on how to fit exhaust packing?

twowheelz
17th May 2006, 00:30
Any way you do it it is a bitch.
main hint is to keep the packing extremely tight.
It helps to use several bits of tape to help hold it into place when trying to slide the cover of the exhaust back on.
check with your exhaust manufacturer, they usually have a kit that has the rivits etc...that you need.

clint640
17th May 2006, 08:54
To make it easier next time, get some nuts welded into the end cap & use cap screws instead of rivets. Use high temp anti seize.

Rivet guns are probably only about $9.95 at mitre 10 anyway.

Cheers
Clint

cheese
17th May 2006, 10:46
yeah apparently they are only $2 at the wharehouse!!!

I'll drill it out tonight and sort it out.

Another question, when you do it, should it cover the end over the pipe cap? Or should I cut it flush with the pipe end? I just can't really see how it make it quite with that hole open.....

cheese
17th May 2006, 21:35
Well it's got a ton of carbon in the inside that I couldn't get out, and I thought, fuck it, so I rammed it in like last time. LOL

Super rangi fulla.

Should be better than what it was anyway!

I think it needs to go to the shop and get heated up.....

I did see a nice second hand FMF pipe and muffler on eBay......

ZeroIndex
17th May 2006, 21:53
Well it's got a ton of carbon in the inside that I couldn't get out, and I thought, fuck it, so I rammed it in like last time. LOL

Super rangi fulla.

Should be better than what it was anyway!

I think it needs to go to the shop and get heated up.....

I did see a nice second hand FMF pipe and muffler on eBay......
my muffler is pretty munted (from my last bin).. my friend has almost finished my new muffler (which is going on my bike on Monday) pic: so far..
.. just needs the join on the left side of the pic sorted..

sorry for the minor thread hijack

Finn
17th May 2006, 21:54
Cheese's first post should be xxx rated...