PDA

View Full Version : Far Out Petrol Has Gone Up, Like HEAPS!

Sk8r_Boi_
11th May 2004, 22:42
Can belivie it man petrol just keeps going up and up, it cost so much to just fill my motobikes tank up now its just not funny so expenisive :argh:

I wonder if it will go up more in the next month or two........or hopefully go back down :brick:

marty
11th May 2004, 23:09
yes well, if it goes up, like, it will get more expensive, but if it goes down it'll be, like, cheaper....

Shawn
11th May 2004, 23:17
yes well, if it goes up, like, it will get more expensive, but if it goes down it'll be, like, cheaper....

lol...hey skt...how much does it cost to fill ur ZXR up?...

wkid_one
12th May 2004, 07:50
Read the other thread Friggin Oil Companies - this has all been covered

Skyryder
12th May 2004, 17:46
And it is going to keep on keeping on going up. :mad: Heard today that price has got to $40 a barrel. :argh: Think that this is US $$$s. :beer:

Skyryder

PuppetMaster
12th May 2004, 18:00
Its not just the cost of gas that is the problem. When oil prices rise everything else rises with it. And ofcourse the NZ Dolloar is dipping. Now I see Air NZ are putting in place a surcharge to cover the extra price of fuel.

Wenier
13th May 2004, 17:23
Yea its getting feckin ridiculous

moko
21st May 2004, 07:24
Filled up this morning and can tell you that in the U.K. unleaded(95 grade) is 81p per litre,that works out to about $2.20,still think yours is dear?

James Deuce
21st May 2004, 08:07
Filled up this morning and can tell you that in the U.K. unleaded(95 grade) is 81p per litre,that works out to about $2.20,still think yours is dear?

It doesn't work quite like that. You are earning the currency you are buying in, so the conversion model doesn't work. A pound, is a dollar, is a pound.

Holy Roller
21st May 2004, 08:38
Used to get change out of $10 to fill up not any more.
But still had a good ride up to Auckland last night despite the extra cost

Sk8r_Boi_
27th May 2004, 11:13
Hey I Think Petrol Prices Are Going Down Not To Shall Tho

Joe Blogs
19th July 2005, 14:12
Whats the story with this new fuel, BP Ultimate? Any good? Can you notice a difference? What does it cost per litre?

Im from a small town (NELSON) and it hasn't arrived here yet :no:

sAsLEX
19th July 2005, 14:19
Whats the story with this new fuel, BP Ultimate? Any good? Can you notice a difference? What does it cost per litre?

Im from a small town (NELSON) and it hasn't arrived here yet :no:

good god dredging up an old thread here, but I dont have 96 round anymore at the local stations, ultimate is around the same price as 96 maybe a cent or two more, difference in performance?? well on a ride where I fill up at different stations with 96 and ultimate I cant really notice a differance

Hitcher
19th July 2005, 15:49
That got my blood pumping, seeing Sk8r_boi's name back on a thread. The creator of the gargre. The utter illiterate prat.

Who are these people who insist on exhuming long-dead threads?

Motu
19th July 2005, 17:00
Ahhh,he had a way with words did our Sk8r_boi....like people who screw a 5/16 wWitworth bolt into an M8 nut,or a PK screw into an M6 hole....

Racey Rider
19th July 2005, 17:09
Ah yes,, a trip down memory lane to be sure!

One can only wonder where or what forum young sk8r is infecting with chaos as we speak. To his credit, there was no, "I leaving! and I'm never coming back! (except to check on the responce to my 'I'm leaving' thread a few 100 times)" Thread, that I know off. He left with the certain amount of Dignity that come from a slamming door!

One can only hope that those of us smugg enough to believe that we didn't need such input into the KB commuity, aren't subtly overrun by hydrocillator (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=3386) clones in the distant future.

And If my warning courses me to disappear over the next few days,,,
Somebody keep a eye on WINJA! Definite hydrocillator overtones there if you ask me! :raghead:

Artifice
19th July 2005, 17:17
whilst onthe topic of fuel. I heard on the t.v. the other night that the government are planning on bringing in ethanol(methanol?) fuel within the next year. its my guess that this'll come from oz. there was a maximum reccomended ethanol level in fuel of 10%. but of course since the oz government were subsidizing it(not sure if they still do with the high fuel prices) they were putting in as much as 30%. this could be a big deal in the same way as when we went to unleaded a few years back. ethanol destroys seals and hoses made of rubber thats not made of the right stuff.

TonyB
19th July 2005, 17:39
good god dredging up an old thread here, but I dont have 96 round anymore at the local stations, ultimate is around the same price as 96 maybe a cent or two more, difference in performance?? well on a ride where I fill up at different stations with 96 and ultimate I cant really notice a differance
Doubt if you would in a bike as it can't adjust its timing etc to suit. I've tried some in the car and it is definitely running better.

TriumphMan
25th July 2005, 13:32
It doesn't work quite like that. You are earning the currency you are buying in, so the conversion model doesn't work. A pound, is a dollar, is a pound.

It doesn't work like that either, salaries in the uk are higher than the NZ counterparts, but not by that much. The real difference is in higher end salaries. Someone earning NZ$130k here would probably earn the equivalent of NZ$200k in the UK, someone earning 38k here would probably earn the eqivalent of NZ$45k in the UK.

Fart
25th July 2005, 13:54
Dont expect oil prices to come down in the near future. The world is running out of natural resources and oil is most important resource to run out first. Why do you think the Americans are in Iraq? America is one of the largest comsumers of oil. High oil prices will high the American economy hard.

vifferman
25th July 2005, 14:01
Doubt if you would in a bike as it can't adjust its timing etc to suit. I've tried some [BP Ultimate 98] in the car and it is definitely running better.
The big thing with 98 vs. 96 in a bike is that with some bikes that need to run higher octane, the 96 will often soot up injectors and/or sparkplug electrodes, whereas 98 doesn't.
It's blardy expensive though - I put in less than half a tank of 98 this morning, and it cost me nearly $15!
I've been running mostly 91 over the winter (i.e., alternating filling up on 91 and 98) as the 98 makes the bike harder to start when it's cold. In the summer, the 91 makes the engine pink a bit when it's hot.

pete376403
25th July 2005, 14:06
Following months (years) of pressure from the US, China revalued the Yuan last week. For the rest of the world it makes Chinese stuff a little more expensive. For China it means their currency is worth more overseas. Ergo, the price of imported oil just went down for China. One reason oil is getting so expensive for us is the soaring demand for oil in China (and India). Oil just got cheaper for China - so they're probably going to buy even more. Which can only make it more expensive for us. The next decade could be "interesting". One thing that wouldn't surprise me is another US adventure into a country with lots of oil, but no real military power, eg Venezuala. Anything so the good ol' boys can keep driving their 7 litre SUVs.

And for those who think ethanol will be the answer, read this:
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/072005A.shtml

quote: "... but the big accounting scandal here is the energy accounting. A study by Cornell ecologist David Pimentel and UC Berkeley engineer Tad Patzek found that when all the inputs to farming and ethanol production are accounted for, ethanol uses 29 percent more fossil fuel energy to produce than it yields in your gas tank."

unhingedlizard
25th July 2005, 16:02
i love this complaining about fuel prices. The UK is appantly a oil producing nation and yet $2.50 a litre.
And people complain that is costs $15 to fill up. Used to cst $100 a week my falcon.

vifferman
25th July 2005, 16:35
And people complain that is costs $15 to fill up. Used to cst $100 a week my falcon.
The $15 I was mentioning (not complaining about) was to top up my tank, which was more than half full already.
The car (which doesn't have a HUGE tank) costs over $80 to pour 98 into.
And you've got to realise (or maybe you don't) that I can remember when petroleum distillates could be purchased from the Europa station on my street for a mere $0.40 per gallon (whatever the hell one of those is). My mount of the time cost all of $0.80 to fill up, and this allowed me to thrash it for 85 miles (whatever one of those is) before a few more shekels of fuel needed to be purchased.

avgas
25th July 2005, 16:48
Ahhh,he had a way with words did our Sk8r_boi....like people who screw a 5/16 wWitworth bolt into an M8 nut,or a PK screw into an M6 hole....
Or the guys that mangle a posi-drive screwhead with a philips, angle 'sand' aluminium and dyna-bolt gib-board.

Ixion
25th July 2005, 16:51
The $15 I was mentioning (not complaining about) was to top up my tank, which was more than half full already.
The car (which doesn't have a HUGE tank) costs over $80 to pour 98 into.
And you've got to realise (or maybe you don't) that I can remember when petroleum distillates could be purchased from the Europa station on my street for a mere $0.40 per gallon (whatever the hell one of those is). My mount of the time cost all of $0.80 to fill up, and this allowed me to thrash it for 85 miles (whatever one of those is) before a few more shekels of fuel needed to be purchased.

3s 4d per imperial gallon. Was that for years and years. About 9c per litre.

Lou Girardin
25th July 2005, 16:52
Back in '73, all the same things were being said about oil pricing and supply. We haven't run out yet.
Any oil company conspiracy theorists care to comment?

MikeL
25th July 2005, 16:54
And you've got to realise (or maybe you don't) that I can remember when petroleum distillates could be purchased from the Europa station on my street for a mere $0.40 per gallon (whatever the hell one of those is).

That would have been late 60s. I know that it cost $2 to fill up my Ford Prefect tank (5 and a quarter gallons). When I went to live in France in the early 70s the cost of petrol horrified me. It was I think 3 times the equivalent N.Z. price. I doubt that the same differential applies now. It will be interesting to see whether with the world-wide price rises the gap narrows further. Poor old low-wage N.Z. is in for a radical readjustment of attitudes towards vehicle use, methinks...
If I were dictator the first step would be to ban SUVs...

TriumphMan
25th July 2005, 17:04
i love this complaining about fuel prices. The UK is appantly a oil producing nation and yet $2.50 a litre.

The worst part about oil in the Uk is that they produce more than they consume, and it's still expensive.

myvice
25th July 2005, 19:00
If fuel was that expensive the compensation type cars, e.g. V8's & 4x4's would diminish, but there not, so either its not that bad or there is a LOT of people trying to make up for a lacking something.
Why do we care? My fuel bill has risen by about $2 a week in the last year, and 1/2 of that is my own doing!
It's hit the auto trades tho, not as busy as we where last year, could just be a slump but every one I know is quieter than they where.

Hitcher
25th July 2005, 19:28
3s 4d per imperial gallon. Was that for years and years. About 9c per litre.
I can't remember life before dismal guernsey. Never had any pocket money...

Zed
25th July 2005, 19:35
Ha, just like Sk8r_Boi_ to create a poll that closed with only 2 votes!

On this rotten subject of petrol prices, I am angry having to fork out so many hard earned dollars to the petroleum companies and our misguided government...I'll have to ask for a pay rise shortly! :yes:

Roll on water-powered engines!! :yeah:

scumdog
25th July 2005, 19:43
Can belivie it man petrol just keeps going up and up, it cost so much to just fill my motobikes tank up now its just not funny so expenisive :argh:

I wonder if it will go up more in the next month or two........or hopefully go back down :brick:

Yeah, and try running a fleet of a combined capacity of 14+ litres!!