PDA

View Full Version : Two colour brake fluid?

Back Fire
17th May 2006, 22:14
ok... my bikes done about 13,000kms now and still on the origonal front brake pads... im pretty sure they are rooted so I'm getting them changed... BUT... my front brake fluid container thingy has gone 2-tone... the fluid used to be all orangey yellow, now its orangey on the bottom half but the top half has gone blackish... wtf is up with that?

Back Fire
17th May 2006, 22:15
forgot to mention its a K5 GSX-R 600

Madness
17th May 2006, 22:18
The pads have worn, allowing a larger volume of fliud in your brake piston cylinders. As more fluid goes into the caliper from the reservoir, the rubber follower diaphragm under the filling cap will be drawn down into the reservoir, giving the appearance of "blackish looking fluid"

Just a guess, what the feck do I know?

Back Fire
17th May 2006, 22:23
aaah.... oooooh.... aaaah.... maybe? ummm, should I take the cap off and have a gander then?

Madness
17th May 2006, 22:25
If I'm right, you might want this thread erased also. lol

bugjuice
18th May 2006, 08:43
I'd bleed those brakes as soon as you get the chance and stick some nice new stuff innit. The colour going off from a nice clear yellow means the fluid is past its best, so time for a change

Cajun
18th May 2006, 09:04
Rayza - i put ebc HH pads on front of my bike around the 10,000km mark, due to brake fade when on track.

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years or 24,000kms or so, i changed the fluid begining of this year at 20,000km mark, and what a HUGE difference, i just put some ebc dot 4.0 fluid in. i again went from 3 finger braking to being able to do 2.

So best bet, change your pads up front, and the fluid, front and rear(just check the rear pad, should be fine)

2much
18th May 2006, 11:51
The pads have worn, allowing a larger volume of fliud in your brake piston cylinders. As more fluid goes into the caliper from the reservoir, the rubber follower diaphragm under the filling cap will be drawn down into the reservoir, giving the appearance of "blackish looking fluid"

Just a guess, what the feck do I know?

Yep that's it.... take the cap off if you want to check it out but your brake fluid's fine. Oh, and take care not to spill any when you're removing the cap cause it's nasty shit.

Rayza - i put ebc HH pads on front of my bike around the 10,000km mark, due to brake fade when on track.

Yep, i use these pads too, and highly recommend them.

Cajun
18th May 2006, 12:03
Yeah 2much they good, also got ebc rear pad, put a new set of ebc hh pads in the busa made a big difference. and even the wifes old vtr stock pads stucked, changed fluid and put a set of ebc HH, it made the bike go from full hand braking to 2 finger in a matter of 1 hours worth of work

Back Fire
20th May 2006, 19:04
yip... its the black thingymawatsit inside the res. Getting new pads for it so I can use one finger again... rear is sweet cause I almost never use it

Cheers you guys for your help!

and I'll give that stuff a go Cajun

Cajun
20th May 2006, 20:00
Yup some ebc HH pads, and any good brand brake fluid.

not just and random brake fluid, i would suggust a good brand, i choose ebc since its was the only good brand i could find at the 3 bike stores i looked.

riffer
20th May 2006, 22:57
The brake fluid contains various small impurities in it, as well as the hydraulic system itself (there's no such thing as perfectly clean) and the brake lines themselves deteriorate.

The reason the brake fluid goes orangey is because of the heat that is transferred during the actual braking. The rotors and pads heat up due to the friction, and heat transfers to the pistons, which in time actually boils the brake fluid. When it boils it changes its chemical composition, turning sludgy and orange. It looks almost as though there's rust inside the system.

I completely replace my brake fluid every second oil change, just to be sure. At $10 a bottle of brake fluid, it's cheap insurance.