PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing front brake

Wasp
17th May 2006, 22:32
while riding tonight i noticed that when i apply my front brake it "buzzes", its not vibrating, sorta sounds like its sizziling bacon.

anyway while hooning around the local streets by my house with insanity rules i actually pulled over cos something just didnt feel right, ill look at it in the morning before i goto work..

also my chain is fairly loose, was wondering how easy it is to tighten? insanity has offered me a link remover kit thingy, but i dont want to void any sort of warrenty i may still have on it. (gonna goto the bike shop tommorow and ask)

ZeroIndex
17th May 2006, 22:37
DON'T REMOVE LINKS OUT OF THE CHAIN!!!!!! check the bike manual on tightening the chain.. normally some bolts near the back of the bike (i'm not gonna pretend to know what i'm talking about right now, cause i'm in a rush and tired)

Motu
17th May 2006, 22:38
Wasp nest in front wheel?

Wasp
17th May 2006, 22:41
bahahah, good one! :first:

dont worry zi, im not as stupid as i used to be, just never done it before. pretty ovbious to me to look for the adjusters first.

Madness
17th May 2006, 22:44
If your chain has stretched to the point of no further adjustment.... It usually means it's time for a new chain, and possibly sprockets. Have a look for the adjustment marks on your swingarm in the daylight, you'll soon see if it's got life left in it.

As for the brakes.... PASS

N4CR
17th May 2006, 23:26
Check the thickness of your front pads, mine do it breifly when they start to wear low. Few hundy km left in it before you hit metal. Well with the pads I run anyway. Ask the shop to check it for you when you get chain looked at.

R6_kid
18th May 2006, 00:00
how do you mean loose? If it is loose in terms of up and down travel it can be tightend by raising the back wheel off the ground, loosening the rear axle and tightening the chain adjusters(pretty simple job). Should be abou 1inch of total vertical travel (from bottom to top).

Grab your sproket from the rear (see pic.) and give it a pull between your thumb and finger, if it comes away from the sproket then your sproket is gone and you probably could do with a new chain too.

For the pic:
Red line shows 'normal' line of chain (how it would be if you over tightened it), the blue arrow shows the 'slackness' which should be about 1inch, 2 inches is too much.

Bottom line is, if you arent comfortable with doing any of this then go into a shop when you have time and ask them to do it, and watch what they do. Ask questions if you aren't sure what they are doing. They are there to help and you dont pay them money for nothing!

Wasp
18th May 2006, 08:42
yea it definately moves far enough up to just hit something so thats probably the buzzing while riding, ill check the brakes during lunch.

DEATH_INC.
18th May 2006, 08:46
My brakes buzz too, they've done it since new, I wouldn't worry too much...it's just the holes in the disc......at least that's what it is on mine....