PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki XF650 "Freewind"

Posh Tourer :P
12th May 2004, 08:31
Has anybody ridden this? I have seen one at uni and thought it was a rip-off of the BMW F650. Certainly looks remarkably similar, even right down to the engine. It came out in 1997 (http://www.suzukicycles.org/Freewind/XF650-Freewind.shtml), which iirc is after the beemer. They also point out on this site is looks european and was designed to compete with the beemer. Is this an honest attempt to design a viable alternative, or is it a bad rip-off?
How does this handle on gravel/easy off-road, andd how does it compare to the beemer on both tarmac and gravel?

http://anzmtr.gotournz.com/rentals/xf650.htm ia another site with specs

Motu
12th May 2004, 09:03
I think it's a more street version of the DR650,tarted up with some plastic,say like a Dominator.The DR650 is more dirt,this one is more street - so yeah,if you were doing more street than dirt,but still wanted to do gravel and some easy farm type track it would be good.

Actualy from my point of view it would rock! Like my XLV750 it will hold it's own on a twisty road,and as it gets rougher,bumps,peagravel whatever - those sports bikes are just gunna fall away,get into gravel and you won't have too many worries.As far as compared to a f650? I think it would be lighter,those things weight a ton,and more simple,like,that's gotta be a good thing eh?

12th May 2004, 11:40
this bike is 162kg dry compared to 189 for a F650, with full oils and fuel tank... So I guess about 15kg lighter wet weight?
It is a plasticated version of the DR650, or thats what it says on that first link...
I was wondering whether they had improved on the F650 or just made something that looked a lot like it....
Power is 47hp vs 48hp
http://www.nzbike.com/bikes/06_f650fun_detail.html has the F650 specs

Motu
12th May 2004, 12:07
I don't think you can compare them - a DR650 is a real dirt bike,the F650 is just dirt capable - the dirt heritage will show when the going gets tuff.Air cooled motor will have it's weight lower down.An XT600E would be halfway between a DR650 and a Freewind.

Motoracer
12th May 2004, 12:14
If that thing can handel gravel roads good wouldn't my GSXR be even better with dirt tires? My bike is lighter than that XF650 btw with the weight being lower as well.

No I am not planing to make my bike a stunt/sports/race/dirt bike :p but I was just wondering...

Jackrat
12th May 2004, 12:27
This bike is one of those I have had a look at along with the Dominator.
Both of them would be right up my street I reckon.
As to just puting knoblies on a street bike I think things like suspension and wheight bias would make a huge difference.
If it is a copy of something else,,,Ummmm what isn't??

merv
12th May 2004, 13:37
Here we are on a ride into the Kaweka ranges in 1998 with a friend of my Bro's with the Freewind. Basically it wasn't a bad bike, but for me it would have been too heavy as an all round dirt bike. Great for gravel road blasting though, as it coped with the ride we did here which was pretty easy. Advantage over the F650 at the time is they were a hell of a lot cheaper as I remember it. I also found F650s of that vintage had a disgustingly badly shaped petrol tank right where you wanted to rest your knees which has been fixed on the new model, but then the weight of the new F650 - oh dear!!!

What?
12th May 2004, 19:20
Less weight (not much), less power (quite a bit), more vibration (a bit more) and cheaper (in EVERY sense) than the F650.
Probably nothing wrong with the freewind, as long as you have never ridden a BMW. Thats my threepence worth.

Jackrat
12th May 2004, 19:52
Less weight (not much), less power (quite a bit), more vibration (a bit more) and cheaper (in EVERY sense) than the F650.
Probably nothing wrong with the freewind, as long as you have never ridden a BMW. Thats my threepence worth.

Less wheight,That's 30lb,Less hp,that's 1HP,or sod all.
Time to buy BMW spares,if you can get them inside a week.$$$$$$$$$
Cost,your paying for the name on the wrapper.
BSA,Triumph,Norton,Honda,Suzuki,Yamaha,Ducati,Harl ey Davidson,MZ.
Never a BMW,and never will.

denill
4th July 2004, 13:06
On this topic - the writer is 'shopping' for an Adventure bike and it is sooooo confusing. :confused2 :confused2

The KLR650 is shaping up.
Dry weight 153kg
Fuel 23L
New Price $10,000 !!! :niceone: :niceone:

I know it is no off-roader and it will obviously be good on the seal and gravel. But does any one know what it's like on dirt and rougher dirt ?? :rolleyes:

Hitcher
4th July 2004, 14:53
I was going to say something along the lines of the Freewind being from the same Suzuki "ugly stick" design department as the GS1200SS, SV650/1000, TL1000, and Savage but decided not to, in case some people got upset...

merv
5th July 2004, 13:21
On this topic - the writer is 'shopping' for an Adventure bike and it is sooooo confusing. :confused2 :confused2

The KLR650 is shaping up.
Dry weight 153kg
Fuel 23L
New Price $10,000 !!! :niceone: :niceone:

I know it is no off-roader and it will obviously be good on the seal and gravel. But does any one know what it's like on dirt and rougher dirt ?? :rolleyes:

Can't tell you anything about the KLR Bill, but good to hear you are thinking "dirt" again. I would have thought the KLR would be more dirt oriented than say an F650 or Freewind. 153kg is no lightweight.

Motu
5th July 2004, 15:13
Adventure bikes are a huge compromise,I don't think you'd ever get it right - either too big and road biased,or too small and dirt biased.As far as the KLR650 goes - I'd rather go for a street legal KLX650 with electric start,fit an Acerbis tank - then you'd have a bike far better off road than the KLR,and although it'd be a bit ropey on the road you could live with it.Dealers are dumping the XT600E ready for the new model,about the same as a KLR650 but more simple,if you like simple.

What?
5th July 2004, 19:43
Less wheight,That's 30lb,Less hp,that's 1HP,or sod all.
Time to buy BMW spares,if you can get them inside a week.$$$$$$$$$
Cost,your paying for the name on the wrapper.
BSA,Triumph,Norton,Honda,Suzuki,Yamaha,Ducati,Harl ey Davidson,MZ.
Never a BMW,and never will.
Can't say I have ever found BMW parts to be expensive, Jackrat. Sometimes they are lots cheaper than jap stuff, but usually on a par.
Accessories are another matter, though. BMW accessories tend to be eye-wateringly expensive...

Badcat
5th July 2004, 20:05
I was going to say something along the lines of the Freewind being from the same Suzuki "ugly stick" design department as the GS1200SS, SV650/1000, TL1000, and Savage but decided not to, in case some people got upset...

i'm watching you Hitcher....

:)

Badcat
5th July 2004, 20:17
Has anybody ridden this? I have seen one at uni and thought it was a rip-off of the BMW F650. Certainly looks remarkably similar, even right down to the engine. It came out in 1997 (http://www.suzukicycles.org/Freewind/XF650-Freewind.shtml), which iirc is after the beemer. They also point out on this site is looks european and was designed to compete with the beemer. Is this an honest attempt to design a viable alternative, or is it a bad rip-off?
How does this handle on gravel/easy off-road, andd how does it compare to the beemer on both tarmac and gravel?

http://anzmtr.gotournz.com/rentals/xf650.htm ia another site with specs

i've ridden a couple of them - interestingly they still command high prices.

i really like the freewind - it's a wierd bike but the digital instuments are really good - the exhaust is stainless and the little fairing is quite effective.
it has a 19" front wheel - so steers sharper than a DR650 - and the rearward weight balance makes it much more confident on a bad surface.
i thought it was a much better bike to ride than the original F650 (really a dressed up aprilia pegaso)- but i think the new BMW would be a better bike again....

ken

moko
5th July 2004, 21:04
Dealers are dumping the XT600E ready for the new model,about the same as a KLR650 but more simple,if you like simple.

I had an XT and loved it,if you want something basic it`s about as basic as you`ll get these days.My only complaint was that ironically because I enjoyed riding it so much I was travelling further and further and the seat`s a real arse-killer.Got myself a Fazer,basically a Thundercat with higher bars ,half-fairing and different frame and it`s loads faster,handles well and a lot more comfortable,still miss the XT though,thing was slow and crude but great fun.Import was stopped here last year because of Euro-fascist rules and we now get the XT660 in trail and Supermoto versions.Road tests of that show it to be a really nice machine but even more road oriented than the old thumper.
The Freewind never sold well in Britain,the name and oddball colour schemes didnt help plus they`ve got a bad rep for corrossion,bear in mind though that the Brit solution to icy roads is to chuck salt all over them which eats bikes if you dont keep them clean.A workmate of mine has one and loves it,think of it as a poor man`s F650 and you`re about there.I suspect it was aimed at the German market as,un-like mainland Europe,trailies,or even wannabes,have never sold exceptionall well until the last couple of years.

6th July 2004, 17:05
Thanks for the replies, seems to be much the same as any bike, some like `em some dont....

Interesting nonetheless....

clint640
8th July 2004, 16:30
Talking to a bloke that hires them out last weekend ( coromoto.co.nz ) he really liked them. You could go and have a good thrash on one there if you're curious.

Cheers
Clint

Paul in NZ
8th July 2004, 16:38
Can't say I have ever found BMW parts to be expensive, Jackrat. Sometimes they are lots cheaper than jap stuff, but usually on a par.
Accessories are another matter, though. BMW accessories tend to be eye-wateringly expensive...

Yeah but at least you can BUY them...

I think the worst thing about the Freewind (apart from the looks) is the lack of accessories like racks, panniers and stuff...

Cheers

YellowDog
23rd April 2007, 19:08
I have one and I think it is an excellent bike. I have been thinking about a V-Twin and looking quite seriously however I can't seem to matcg the low speed versatility of the Freewind. Read this article (if you haven't already), which I think is great:
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcsuz/freewind.html

cheese
23rd April 2007, 20:54
Man I went riding with a guy in gissy that had his 170kg DR650 land on him after he went over an edge. Fucking scary, it smacked into him and he was ok!! They are freaking heavy to pick up in the sand though. He liked it on teh road though.

I've always thoguht you either get a dirt bike or a road bike, you get both and you get half pie.

Motard however breaks all the rules!!

YellowDog
25th April 2007, 12:02
Good point Cheese. Yes, they are big and heavy. Whilst this makes the Freewind very stable to ride, if you do put one down you will need a lot of strength to pick it up again. I don't want to say 'Not one for the ladies', but it would need to be a strong lady!

orange dog
1st May 2007, 22:59
Tried the f650 and the KLR650 back to back once and while it was probably a once-off for the f650, having the engine cut-out while on a sharp, steep uphill piece of road while two up with traffic up our arse made for an easy sell for the KLR.

Great adventure bike by the way, carried me, the wife and the dog on some tracks rough enough to stop the landcruiser, while still being comfortable enough to tour on-road.

just my 2 cents

nigelp
2nd May 2007, 07:37
I test rode a freewind that is for sale in the weekend, and was pretty pleased with it! Despite the fact that it was raining and was only wearing my kevlar jeans! All going well I will have purchased it by the end of the week! I must admit that the DL650 Vstorm had a better engine (test rode that too) but the Freewind felt nicer around town.:scooter:

SPman
2nd May 2007, 15:34
Good point Cheese. Yes, they are big and heavy. Whilst this makes the Freewind very stable to ride, if you do put one down you will need a lot of strength to pick it up again. I don't want to say 'Not one for the ladies', but it would need to be a strong lady!
Not necessarily. I knew a 5'2" Japanese lady who used to ride one - did both Islands a couple of times and seemed to handle it OK - except for traffic lights.......

Macktheknife
2nd May 2007, 16:10
I test rode a freewind that is for sale in the weekend, and was pretty pleased with it! Despite the fact that it was raining and was only wearing my kevlar jeans! All going well I will have purchased it by the end of the week! I must admit that the DL650 Vstrom had a better engine (test rode that too) but the Freewind felt nicer around town.:scooter:

If the model year was at all similar, they are the same bike now. Different plastics.

nigelp
2nd May 2007, 20:07
If the model year was at all similar, they are the same bike now. Different plastics.

Nah, was a 1997 Freewind and a 2007 DL. Worlds apart really, would love to have the DL, however it felt very big, and wouldnt be too fun to pick up after you drop it on a farm track! And the fact that the DL had the V-twin engine vs the DR650 powered Freewind.

YellowDog
19th May 2007, 09:40
Oh! That hurts more than telling me to go to the opticians, 'cos you think I have an ugly wife!