PDA

View Full Version : Got cold fingies from ridin?

bugjuice
18th May 2006, 08:53
when you get to traffic lights and/or have to stop else where, shove your hands down the sides of the fairings (on those that have them), just above the engine on the inside of the frame. Most bikes can, and the warm engine will give you a couple of minutes of warmth to get the feeling back in your fingers.

Just be careful about where you stick your hands tho, don't want to be burning them on any pipes or pulling out any wires. Check when you next go to your bike to see where you can put them.

And if you have gloves with 'knuckle' protectors on etc, make sure they don't get trapped anywhere, when you try to retract, last thing you want is a biker stuck at the lights feeling up their bike!!!

James Deuce
18th May 2006, 09:00
Or you could buy a pair of winter gloves.

MSTRS
18th May 2006, 09:02
....or move to Darwin...

Squeak the Rat
18th May 2006, 09:41
Darwinian motorcyclists?

Eurodave
18th May 2006, 09:43
Wot about heated grips?.....Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm toastie digits!! :Punk:

WRT
18th May 2006, 12:01
Get a v-twin, you can just lean back and put your hands on the cans, warms them up a treat and you get to stretch you back. Plus you can even do it on the longer downhills without stopping . . . not that I would ever do something as dangerous as that, no siree . . .

sunhuntin
21st May 2006, 19:56
rode to wellington the other night....i hate getting to that bit with lights everywhere! my fingers were numb from the ride [and that was with my good gloves!] and my legs were cold and stiff....couldnt feel to grab the clutch and couldnt move to downshift, lol.

Shadows
21st May 2006, 21:14
On my last decent ride the other weekend I wore latex gloves under my usual ones. Welly to Hawke's Bay and back in the pissing rain and no cold fingers. The only problem was the cheap "are you a gynaecologist or something?" quips from the service station people.

N4CR
21st May 2006, 22:01
WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR PILLION IM SURE YOU COULD HIDE YOUR FINGERS SOMEWHERE WARM THAT WOULD BENEFIT BOTH OF YOU, WHILE RIDING THE BIKE IT MIGHT BE A LITTLE HARD THOUGH OKAy!?

Maha
21st May 2006, 22:13
Waiter comes to the table with his thumb in the soup
Diner says ''why is your thumb in my soup''?
Waiter says '' its sore,doctor said to keep it some place warm''
Diner said '' well why dont you stick it up your arse''?
Waiter said '' i do, when im in the kitchen''............:sick: just a thought.

Fishy
22nd May 2006, 08:38
Got cold fingies....HARDEN UP!

Biohazard
22nd May 2006, 09:39
ROFL - ya great big girls blouse, grow yourself a set and squeeze them :shake:

But, heated grips are a god send.

bugjuice
22nd May 2006, 09:53
contradictory post, if i ever did see one..

The_Dover
22nd May 2006, 10:06
But, heated grips are a god send.

Yes, god sent them for soft cocks with bad circulation.

vifferman
22nd May 2006, 10:13
Yes, god sent them [heated grips] for soft cocks with bad circulation.
Nah, even though mine's really huge, it doesn't reach quite that far, even when it's not soft. So I just use them for my hands. Plus my new Spidi pants are quite warm'n'toasty anyway, so my nether regions don't get cold.

Biohazard
22nd May 2006, 10:56
Yes, god sent them for soft cocks with bad circulation.

Hmmm, like to see you as a motorcycle courier in the British winter as 2am in the morning riding back from Leeds to Southampton...Thats cold, thats wet and friggin lonely....

So up ya bum :nya:

The_Dover
22nd May 2006, 11:30
Hmmm, like to see you as a motorcycle courier in the British winter as 2am in the morning riding back from Leeds to Southampton...Thats cold, thats wet and friggin lonely....

So up ya bum :nya:

I'm from the fucking Shetland Islands and it doesn't get any colder than that, I've been known to regularly trudge 18 miles home pissed as a newt, in nothing but a t-shirt, cos I spent my taxi money on booze.

So up your electrically heated bum :nya:

Biohazard
22nd May 2006, 13:33
I'm from the fucking Shetland Islands and it doesn't get any colder than that, I've been known to regularly trudge 18 miles home pissed as a newt, in nothing but a t-shirt, cos I spent my taxi money on booze.

So up your electrically heated bum :nya:

Yeah but the Shetland Islanders are a bunch of inbreeding weirdo's, lets face it, it maybe colder but 18 miles is nowt try an island larger than my arse :blip:

UrbanMyth
22nd May 2006, 13:38
Got cold fingies....HARDEN UP!

tough guy!

loosebruce
25th May 2006, 16:31
Last winter i found that by pulling wheelies you could keep the wind off you by using the bike to block it, worked a treat in the morning commute, and you got to work in a mighty hurry most days, some fellas with disco lights on there cars kept trying to run me me down, whats up with that, but i was never late!

raster
8th June 2006, 18:43
I was having trouble with my fingies not working when I got to work so I got myselft a pair of Oxford heated grips from Botany Honda, installed them last night, easy as!

Had to turn them down as they were getting too hot this morning, could feel the heat going up my arms, didn't want to get off the bike when I got to work though.

My hands were still warm an hour later. :yes:

_Gina_
8th June 2006, 18:59
$130.00 will get you some heated grips (plus install costs if you can't)

I ride to work 60kms and sometimes my fingers get so cold they hurt. You can spot me in traffic on the southern, waving my arm around pleading for my heart to pump more blood there STAT.

Fuck all the harden up crap, I say if you can afford it, why the fuck not??

raster
8th June 2006, 19:05
Mine were $99 took me an hour to install them and another hour pissing around trying to find a switched power supply.
Wanted to hook them to the headlight curcuit (doesn't come on till engine running) but didn't want to add any load to the headlight fuse so just used an ignition feed for now.

:rockon:

Flyingpony
9th June 2006, 12:42
Good idea but my engine doesn't emit enough heat radiation <_< So I simply put my gloved-hands on either side of the engine crank. It's the only place within easy reach that gives the perfect amount of heat. Now, if only there was a pillow on the tank, I could catch a few :zzzz: at the same time :whistle:

TonyB
9th June 2006, 12:59
bla bla bla preform some incredibly complicated procedure that can only be used while sitting at lights on a bike with fairings that allow you to get your hands into a warm spot bla bla bla

Or you could buy a pair of winter gloves.

Or move to Darwin

Or you could get some heated grips, have warm hands all the time, and only need one pair of summer weight gloves....
Meh- too easy. No one would ever go for it..

sunhuntin
10th June 2006, 15:02
$130.00 will get you some heated grips (plus install costs if you can't)

I ride to work 60kms and sometimes my fingers get so cold they hurt. You can spot me in traffic on the southern, waving my arm around pleading for my heart to pump more blood there STAT.

Fuck all the harden up crap, I say if you can afford it, why the fuck not??

yep, i hate when fingers get that cold! i couldnt feel to pull the clutch in coming back from welly last night, my fingers were so far gone. and that was with my thinsulate gloves! LOL.

btw, i can likely afford heated grips, but im a cheapskate and im not an old lady yet, so thats out. will just suffer in silence and pay the price when i am an old lady :yes:

Ulaa
10th June 2006, 15:22
Oxford Hot Grips, 95$, controllable heat levels with a dial. 2 hours to install (mainly cause I have no idea what Im doing) They rock.

raster
11th June 2006, 08:50
yep, i hate when fingers get that cold! i couldnt feel to pull the clutch in coming back from welly last night, my fingers were so far gone. and that was with my thinsulate gloves! LOL.

btw, i can likely afford heated grips, but im a cheapskate and im not an old lady yet, so thats out. will just suffer in silence and pay the price when i am an old lady :yes:

I thort you said silence:blip:

raster
11th June 2006, 08:52
Oxford Hot Grips, 95$, controllable heat levels with a dial. 2 hours to install (mainly cause I have no idea what Im doing) They rock.

Where'd you get yours from, my oxfords were $99, I could have saved $4....:angry:

But worth every penny. lowest setting is hot enough for AK.

sunhuntin
11th June 2006, 20:16
I thort you said silence:blip:

it is silence....once the keys on the board stop making noise, lol.

:innocent:

XTC
11th June 2006, 21:12
I've got the Daytona heated grips on my XT.... I travel the same route as girlygirl but at 5:45am and it's been f%$k&^g freezing a coule of time recently but my fingers are toasty warm. Nothing soft about being comfortable on your motorcycle. Cold fingers are just a distraction. I'm sure all these "hard" guys have the heaters on in their cars in the winter and their bikes tucked up safe and warm in the garage waiting for a sunny weekend when they'll venture out between 10am and 2pm so as not to get too cold in their race replica leathers and carbon knuckled gloves.

Oakie
12th June 2006, 19:31

If you can afford them, get them. The improvement they make to the riding experience is worth much more than the $100 they'll cost you. They really make THAT much of a difference.
Call me soft ... I don't care but they're the first thing that gets added to my next bike.

raster
12th June 2006, 19:46
I agree.
Went down to Tauranga yesterday and turned them on a couple of times and found the lowest setting good for a cool day but turned them up a bit going over the ranges.

Max setting gets a bit hot though.

XP@
13th June 2006, 10:08
Good gloves ain't bad but I MISS MY DAYTONA GRIPS!!!

I don't care if they are sissy, but warm hands are good ... very good!

Tricia1000
18th June 2006, 12:45
If you regularly ride long distances in:cold: chilly weather the best investment you can make is heated gloves. they are attached by a permanent lead to your battery, and they are very moasty-toasty.
they are better that heated grips, insofar as, with heated grips, each time you either apply the front brake, or used the clutch, alot of the previously built up heat is lost. With the heated gloves, that heat is continuous. Terrific investment.

tricia :nya:
when you get to traffic lights and/or have to stop else where, shove your hands down the sides of the fairings (on those that have them), just above the engine on the inside of the frame. Most bikes can, and the warm engine will give you a couple of minutes of warmth to get the feeling back in your fingers.

Just be careful about where you stick your hands tho, don't want to be burning them on any pipes or pulling out any wires. Check when you next go to your bike to see where you can put them.

And if you have gloves with 'knuckle' protectors on etc, make sure they don't get trapped anywhere, when you try to retract, last thing you want is a biker stuck at the lights feeling up their bike!!!