PDA

View Full Version : Auckland: Pukekohe Open Day 26th April

wkid_one
2nd April 2003, 08:55
For those of you who forgot about last Saturday, there is another Pukekohe Open Day on the 26th April.......

$80 pay on the day........sessions mixed with cars and open wheelers....20 minutes each, usually get about 6-7 sessions for the day if you stay all day!

Great opportunity for learners and experienced riders alike to get in a controlled situation and not be worried about potholes, cow shit, cars, gravel (except PlayerX - sorry couldn't resist).....

Usually limited number of bikes on the track so you get a good chance to ride your own race.......

See You ALL there

Dan

MikeL
2nd April 2003, 11:39
Hey Dan
I've never been on a race track and I'm a bit apprehensive. At the same time I'm keen to explore my limits (and the bike's) in a traffic-free/cop-free environment. Exactly how feasible is it for a beginner to get on the track and puddle around at his own pace, flanked by seasoned racers doing 240 kph? Wouldn't I just get in everybody's way??:(

Coldkiwi
2nd April 2003, 12:33
Thats the cool thing about Track time. They split riders into different groups according to ability. Last time there was a novice slow, novice fast, intermediate and experienced group.

So small cc bikes can happily go around in the novice slow without having to worry too much about getting passed by guys on GSXR 1000's doing near 300kph! Its very well organised and there's no pressure to go faster than you want to. Also, the marshalls provide good advice and show you the good lines for the corners. Its more expensive thana  test day but well worth it if it's your first time on the track I think

wkid_one
2nd April 2003, 12:47
Yeah Cold is right - the track Time they split you in to groups based on skill - but you do get limited track time and it is a bit more expensive than the Open Days...but if you want the security of marshalling this is it.

I think you will be surprised by the open days tho, most people that went recently were from KiwiBiker and therefore there is an immediate comeraderie.  Also, as there is generally fewer people there, the pressure is down considerably - you get to ride your own ride. 

In essence, the fast go fast, the slow go slow.  You will be surprised how quickly you pace will come up tho - session on session.  It is well worth while - don't be put of 'coz you don't think you are quick enuf or experienced enuf as this is the perfect environment to improve both - plus you meet new people to talk and ride with.

My recommendation is come down on the 26th - and see if you are comfortable to go around.  You don't have to pay unless you ride, which is a bit better than the Track Times where you have to pay miles in advance to make it affordable.

So long as people know you are 'developing' you won't have any problems at all and remember confidence quickly outstrips capacity on the track.....ie ride for your right hand!

BigB
2nd April 2003, 20:33
Hi Guys

I went down to the open day but decided for my own reasons not to go on the track. I still had a great day with all the other guys from kiwibiker..

Just seeing the looks on there faces when they came in and all the different exprences they were having was worth it.

And where else can you get a bunch of guys & girls talking bikes and walking round with silly grins on there faces???:) :)

:done:

wkid_one
2nd April 2003, 20:50
The only reason you didn't ride B was Tracy would have tore strips off you for going around the track on her bike without her!  We know the truth!

Hoon
2nd April 2003, 22:23
Yep I've only done 2 track days at Pukekohe and this Sat will be my first TrackTime.

The first track day I did I was a little worried too with good reason, I was going out with a sick '89 rgv250 trackbike that I had just bought (specifically to learn track)and never ridden.  The guy next to me in the pits was a top NZ rider on a '02 Gix1K (ex-Andrew Stroud) and he was pulling 59s all day.

My main worry was getting in anyones way but after being passed like I was standing still you get use to guys whizzing by like you aren't even there.  The important thing to remember is to stay on your line and don't do anything unpredictable.

Of course the fear of crashing is another worry but you can only beat that through practice to build up your confidence...oh and also read some Keith Code books and learn how to pay "attention" and unlearn those bad habits.

Kwaka-Kid
3rd April 2003, 06:49
Yay, ive only done 1 tracktime b4, this sat will b my 2nd, hope to see you all there, my bikes an old blue/black (i got half the old racing fairing on it if i crash i dont care bout it) ZXR400.  Ill be in novice slow and slow is about all the bike is, it neeeds heaps of work, but i dont have the time atm, so im going to race anyways and see how slow it is.

wkid_one
3rd April 2003, 08:33
KK - please wait until someone is there with a camera!

moose
3rd April 2003, 13:14
I've only done 2 open days, haven't been able to get to a track time.  I found the open days the best way to seriously increase your riding skills while at the same time pace yourself against the other guys.

It's the perfect place for finding the limits of your machine and seeing how different race lines can increase cornering speeds.

Oh.... you also get to use those bits of your tyres that you wouldn't normally use (you know the bits way out on the edge)

:bigthumb:

wkid_one
3rd April 2003, 15:58
They are called CHICKEN STRIPS!

Kwaka-Kid
3rd April 2003, 23:31
strange that.. my tyres dont have those?
:P :D ahahah!

:bigthumb:

wkid_one
3rd April 2003, 23:34
Tires made before 1974 didn't have them!

Kwaka-Kid
3rd April 2003, 23:38
damnit they were bought in 75! i thought that ment they were made then! so u mean i bought the ones that were on the shelf for over a year? barsteds... yet economic for me :)

i still remember getting a tyre (the only tyre in my life ive bought new) for my old XL250, rear, and i asked for the oldest one, i spose theres a reason in the first place it had never sold, fuckt if i can be botherd thinking about it, but they had a 3yo tyre on the shelf! i was like, oh my god! just my luck! ill take it, and got good discount too :P hahah, and apparently my old mans done that with street tyres too, so like, i guess, he buys them new, or, old but new to him, then he passes them down to me as new, well, old and well used, but new to me :brick:

hmmm, a tree of good economy. yet its funny, because for the extra $$$ u pay for nice tyres, would sure as hell not pay for 2 indicators on a bike when u crash in the wet, or coz of ur hard tyres.

but ill let you all in on a little secret... the whole trick/idea, is to not crash ;) - keep that one quiet, the bike panel beaters will kill me for telling you all :P

wkid_one
3rd April 2003, 23:50
What - is KK finally admitting crashing isn't the plan!!

God forbid, next you will be putting proper tires on your bike and riding a 100% mechanically sound one.......pick me up off the ground!

Kwaka-Kid
4th April 2003, 06:07
hey hey! now i wouldnt go as far as saying that.

I am only talking about normally sane people here :P - not us "different" people :) hahaha

wkid_one
4th April 2003, 12:51
Just a question - you DO know that the idea is NOT to fall off don't you?

ManDownUnder
4th April 2003, 15:15
MikeL - don't worry about your first time... last time out was my first time, on a bike I have only owned for a couple of months, after an 8 year break from riding bikes... ANY bikes.

Things I learned if they are useful to you.

Keep your line - don't worry about what's in your mirrors, they can see you and go around you (and they do!). This was THE sinlg ebest piece of advice given on the day.

Learn the track. Find your line, watch the guys ahead of you and see where they go, and try it out. I learned truckloads from everyone around me.

Learn the track part II - find the part of the track you have most problems with and focus on that. Enjoy the rest of the track and work on it one piece at a time.

Do your own thing. I puttered around all damned day (ok... faster puttering towards the end there) and had a brilliant time. As mad as all the guys out there are, I think everyone takes safety very seriously and it was more fun than frightening.

Redline! I was a little reluctant to push my bike... my poor baby isn't used to that! Problem is it was DESIGNED for that, and I have to say it goes better now than it ever has in the past. I also am a lot more comfortable and capable throwing it around more too.

Hoon
4th April 2003, 16:12
Originally posted by ManDownUnder
Do your own thing. I puttered around all damned day (ok... faster puttering towards the end there) and had a brilliant time.

Ohh gee...and heres me feeling proud of myself for being able to keep up with a 900cc bike on my 250cc when you was just playin with me :)

MikeL
4th April 2003, 16:15
Thanks for all the advice. It's fairly reassuring (I think) :confused:
Sounds like Track Time would be a good way to start but I can't get there tomorrow as I'm out of town all day. Suppose the best thing would be to turn up on the 26th and have a good look before committing myself - at what stage do you pay? Any refund if I kill myself? Just my little joke...

wkid_one
4th April 2003, 20:19
No refund - but a free trip to the Morgue!

750Y
14th April 2003, 17:10
Hey MikeL,
You will be absolutely fine going at pace that You and Your bike are comfortable with. It's a whole lot of fun and it is fairly safe if You are feeling confident and riding with Your brains. Generally hardly anyone falls off and those that do usually get straight back up again. The place where You are most likely to go down will be the hairpin if You are pushing Your limits but that's cool because it just so happens to be the slowest part of the track also. Also the test days are less populated(than track time days) so much less pressure of photographers, people desperate to prove themselves in relation to others and others' bikes and having to watch out for every Thomas, Richard and Harold etc. who is pretending they are in the superbikes. Go along & have fun You'll enjoy yourself a whole lot. the $80 is well worth it.
I had the whole track to myself in February(the only bike out there). only had to share with one class of cars too for 20 minute on/off sessions. Pity I suffered a failure though and had to go home early with an out of action bike(I took the trailer luckily). Still had a great day. get in there You'll have a great day too.

bluninja
14th April 2003, 18:01
Hairpins, may be the slowest part of the track, but you can still get hurt if you fall off (speaking from experience). :eek5:

However if you go at what you feel is comfortable for you, you should be fine. After all you ride on the road with all it's different hazards don't you? It's all in your head. My first trip on a track since last year was nerve wracking, I rode slower than I do on the road and hated the first few laps. But hey I didn't fall off and I got faster and smoother. At no time on the day did I push the bike to it's or my limits, but I had lots of fun.

TTFN

750Y
14th April 2003, 18:14
Hairpins, may be the slowest part of the track, but you can still get hurt if you fall off (speaking from experience).

good point. falling off can hurt at any speed.

MikeL
14th April 2003, 21:15
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm almost convinced... I've been building up confidence on the road since I started back on a bike 6 months ago, riding every spare moment. Done over 10,000km since then, without serious incident. White knuckles now relatively rare, starting to feel over-confident, so perhaps the time is ripe...
Keep the positive comments coming, or I might start to waver...:eek5:

Coldkiwi
15th April 2003, 12:29
Streuth mate, I know teenage girls more decisive!!! Just get your butt out there and have a ball! :)

750Y
15th April 2003, 12:44
Just get your butt out there and have a ball

lmao

I bet You say that to all the decisive teenage girls You know.:D

wkid_one
15th April 2003, 12:54
What ---- did you say 'get your balls out and have a teenage butt'?????  - I like it

Kwaka-Kid
15th April 2003, 19:27
Bahahah! You sick sick men :P   Yeah and i bet u wish you could Wkidone :P haha

God love being young and able to play the field :P

Redstar
16th April 2003, 10:45
Short of a T shirt how shalt we know thee of the day? wilt thou all be resplendent in the wearing of a pair of soft orange ear plugs or green and the secret handshake and the the question art thou a member of the fraternity know as the kiwibiker?
or shalt we blend in with the crowd as if there is no special bond?
or not?:mad:

Kwaka-Kid
16th April 2003, 10:53
Maybe if you spoke in english i would bother to read that post..

:P kidding, but dont speak that language again, it reminds me of skool. :)

Redstar
16th April 2003, 11:03
upset now, sulking, not going!

Coldkiwi
17th April 2003, 01:32
Well... if you talk like that Redstar, we'll spot ya a mile off! :)

Kwaka-Kid
17th April 2003, 06:28
haha!

bluninja
23rd April 2003, 15:08
Provided it's there isn't persistent precipitation I expect I'll go. If I haven't sorted the RSVR key out it will be on the SV650 which is still stripped of lights for racing.

I have a trailer that will fit 3 road bikes and will be taking that with just the one bike, so if anyone wants to contact me to arrange a bit of transport from West Auckland you can ring me on 027 483 2030.

TTFN

Coldkiwi
23rd April 2003, 18:22
Ripper. I need to get back out there now and find another 3 seconds :) Here's praying for good weather!

who else is going?

wkid_one
23rd April 2003, 23:15
I'll be there again (third weekend in a row) - will be taking pics at the hairpins and corners as well!

SpankMe
23rd April 2003, 23:41
moose, PlayerX & myself will be there. See everyone at the Autobahn for a 9:45am departure.

Coldkiwi
24th April 2003, 12:15
sod it. Going away for the weekend now! GRRRRRRRRRRR!!

next time...

Redstar
24th April 2003, 19:47
Do they have a cover charge to get in?and I guess you need full leathers to take to the track? I am actually a virgin to the track:o
But I can borrow a set, I heard you can get away with two pairs of jeans? Do you have to take out track indemnity insurance? like at meremere? $50 whats the guts?

SpankMe
24th April 2003, 19:52
It's only $80 total. They're pretty lax when it comes to checking your leathers, if fact they don't check what your wearing.

bluninja
24th April 2003, 21:49
Hmmmm.....I think they would look twice if Kwaka Kid turned up in his 'Sunday' clothes:D Weather forecast at least looks dry for Saturday.

TTFN

Kwaka-Kid
25th April 2003, 00:03
Hey hey now dont you be mocking those Fishnets! Damnit they are the best proven saftey Features ever for a racetrack.   The logic being they offer none, therefore higher chance of dieing.. i.e no more KK :P hahaha i only wish.

There isnt enough time in the day to ride enough in life. it just sucks hard :(   All i want to do is ride.. ride ride ride ride ride... Nothing better then riding, apart from riding in a group.

Im sure in the after-life we could all spend like, every single second on bikes.. just riding... yeeehaaaw! cant wait :D

wkid_one
25th April 2003, 15:02
KK - can you please update your avatar to show us exactly what your bike looks like as is now?

Kwaka-Kid
25th April 2003, 18:12
no

as seeing pics of it this way makes me cry :( .  ahaha no. umm i just took a pic, ive taken off all rairing etc, and it looks normal, im soo lucky, headlights/instruments are all MINT, just the speedo etc are a little bent around as they hit the ground when it flipped a few times, but managed not to break? :D same as front brake resivoir, totally bent around bracket, and i just bent it back and shell be right :) oh and the key! hah the tiny little kawasaki key doesnt stick up much, but that was bent flat :S

ive taken a look as i took all the fairing off and everything, i havent stringlined yet, but the chassis kinda looks streight enough? donst look toobad, it was as i have said already tweaked here and there, but hey, ill stringline, and ill make the wheels streight this time, and leave it at that.  I couldnt get her to start today.. prolly just flooded it or somthing, and i damn well tried roll start down short and steep driveway.. not thinking that it may not start :P bahaha! damn, took me the last friggin 20mins just trying to get it up, inch by inch using front brake and trying to backbounce the front forks :S argh.

anyways ya''ll have fun tomorrow, think of me, so dont crash :P ill be @ home working on my plastics, or tonite b4 work i might get some plastic welding in.. and working on house, i just nailed off like hundreds of nails for the deck on the front of the house :) sore as hand/wrist/everything in right arm

Coldkiwi
25th April 2003, 23:03
KK, may I respectfully suggest that you get a professional bike mechanic to check your forks, wheels, chassis and brakes for dents/warps and bends before riding it again!? Small deviations in the geometry of the front end will have a large effect on the handling and could well put you on your arse again but maybe in the traffic next time if you have to brake hard.

Checks are cheap too! :)

Kwaka-Kid
25th April 2003, 23:49
Hey hey now i did check it! honest!

alrite alrite, i only did a 1/2check, i couldnt be botherd spending the extra 5 seconds and effort bending over to look if there are any dirt stains on the frame down under :P

Nah mate, cant afford that stuff, no mechanic has ever gone near any of my vechiles, nor will they ever :) ive taken out all maintanence and rebuilds etc.

It explains alot doesnt it?  but i think i deserve 10 points for trying. :D

bluninja
26th April 2003, 18:27
So where were these hordes of people that were coming today? It was great to meet Spankme, Slim, and Hoon from this site, and meet Dan a second time.

It was a nice warm day, very little breeze....ideal conditions. Personally I had a smashing time....smashing my front brake lever, smashing my footpeg....:eek: as I reaquainted myself with crashing at hairpins. Thanks to Hoon for not running me over, sorry if I spoiled your lap time:D and thanks to Slim for replacing my front brake lever. Decided I couldn't straighten the peg up enough to rest my foot on so made that my last session.

Apart from a bent bar end lever and a few scratches on the exhaust (and the above), that's all the damage done. The damage would have been less, but as I knew I was going down I gave the throttle a handful to spin the back wheel out and away from me....as I didn't want the bike attacking me as it did last time. No damage to me, just a scuff of the leathers, though I expect my back will be stiff in the morning......but it's better than having a sore wrist :D

TTFN

wkid_one
26th April 2003, 20:44
Oh bugger me - you didn't??......that's no good?!?!?!  What was I saying about confidence exceeding capacity?

As long as you are okay - that is the main thing - bikes can be repaired....bones etc are a little more difficult....Puke seems to be having its fair share of riders going down lately.  All I can say is I am glad I stopped early as I was getting to the point of pushing a little too far myself.

No doubt Si I will see you on the race circuit as well in the near future as today secured my desire to race......bring on the bike....

I had a blast today...(and a few scary moments!).....quicker times and even scraping exhaust pipes - nice!

Kwaka-Kid
26th April 2003, 23:32
bugger man! no good to hear

all the best for a fast and good recovery, and yes your lucky you didnt damage your wrist... where would you be without it :P

damn, now im thinking about it i wish i hada low sided :(   did lifting the bike back up - running off the track, and fully barrell rolling your bike ever cross your mind? or is it just me that chooses to do these things :)

cu

bluninja
27th April 2003, 11:25
KK, I was more thinking about your sore wrist:p For me it went more like...let's carry more speed and wind it on a bit earlier, whoops, there goes the front, a bit more gas, there goes the back, shut off a little, don't want to flip over the top, more gas, oh deary deary I'm going down, give it more throttle so the bike goes away from me cos I don't want it hurting me, not sliding much, better tuck in and roll, I'm stopped, is anyone coming from my left? stand up and step off track. Track clear, pick bike up and wheel to armco. Wave at the passing bikes, take a breather, check bike, ride back to pits.

Strange to say it, but I am much happier now about getting back on the track...would have preferred not to crash. I'd got to the stage where I was full throttle everywhere but the left before Castrol, Castrol, and the hairpin and the tyre grip was fine. So I was just working on some different lines and seeing if I could carry more speed.

A rap for the leathers Kerry from MSW made me. Tha't's twice down the race tarmac in the leathers and only a few scuffs to show.

TTFN

Kwaka-Kid
27th April 2003, 13:15
good stuff good stuff :D

so what times were u running? what bike was this on? the RSVR? :)

bluninja
27th April 2003, 17:34
Times???? My pit crew were planning the pull down on the engine, the suspension specialist was preparing new shims, my personal trainer was off somehwere with my brolly babe, and my manager had flown out to Sugo to see if he could secure me a ride in WSBK; so nobody left to man the data aquisition units :D :D

A guy (Williams) on his Kawasaki was lapping in 63 seconds and he lapped me about every 4 th lap, so I guess that would be 80-90 second laps. I was riding the SV650 as I don't have a key for the RSVR at the moment, I could start the bike, but I can't refuel it :eek:

Still, maybe I'll get out there on the Mille when my keys sorted, it was good fun.

TTFN

Kwaka-Kid
27th April 2003, 18:34
SIXTY THREE SECONDS?!

Glen williams is it?

Hoon
27th April 2003, 20:04
Good to see you're alright Bluninja, you gave me a right fright falling over right in front of me!  I saw you lean in, take the turn then all of a suddenly the bike fell on its side then you pushed it away mid spin with the gas (rather nicely I might add.... lots of practice huh:)).  Luckily it happened at the slowest part of the track!

Kwaka-Kid
27th April 2003, 23:48
Just be thanklful it wasnt me Chasing you... MY ZXR400 has no rear brakepads and a massive thick groove in the rear disc to proove it, aswell as a front tyre that cant handle hard braking... You would have felt the bike pile over you for sure :)

bluninja
28th April 2003, 07:46
Thanks for that Hoon..hmmm so I made the turn, so why did it all go pear shaped? As for practice that's now twice I've lost it at a hairpin, but this is the first right hander. I guess cos it was slow I had time to think about what to do as I went down (but not enough time to work out how to pick it up).

KK, you would have smacked into Hoon first before you got to me:p

TTFN

Slim
1st May 2003, 17:33
Despite several attempts to talk me into having a play myself, I just had fun watching everyone else on the track and taking pictures (how did those turn out, btw???)

Was nice to see Dan again (whose mobile # has changed, if he's being rude & not replying to any of you ;) ) and meet new peeps too, including Hoon, who felt his 2-stroke was too obnoxious to park anywhere near the rest of us. :p Lucky I'm not backwards about coming forward, eh? :)