PDA

View Full Version : Tyre advice please

FROSTY
12th May 2004, 12:20
Im at a loss as to what tyres to fit on my ZXR400 race bike.
Its fitted with a set of slicks at the moment -the rear is only good for one more meeting.
Im thinking my options are either to fit a good set of sticky road tyres,a new rear slick or buy spare rims and a set of wets on the rims.
I'd really apreciate feedback here guys n gals
Ohh and what tyres you are running and what experience you are having with em
Im leaning towards a set of Michellin road tyres for the winter racing

Slim
12th May 2004, 12:41
You could call Gary at GP Trading in The Mount. He races Formula 3 himself and might be able to sort you out with some second hand tyres and/or rims too.

My man races a 400 and has a spare set of rims with wets on them that he got from Gary, and I think he races slicks in the dry. I believe Mitch uses Bridgestone 010s which she's found good.

http://www.gptrading.co.nz or 07-5746688

FROSTY
12th May 2004, 13:19
great idea--Ill call gary :Punk:

Two Smoker
12th May 2004, 13:29
KK likes his BT090's..... But if you want really sticky, go for the Rennspots :niceone: http://www.metzelermoto.com/product_info/catalogo/scheda.asp?ID=184&idCat=14

they make 150's and 160's which will fit the ZXR....

Then there is also the ME Z slicks and rain tyres.......

Don't know if they Micilin make Pilot H2 sports in the 150-160 size?????

Could also try Super Corsa's....

Motoracer
12th May 2004, 13:46
KK likes his BT090's..... But if you want really sticky, go for the Rennspots :niceone: http://www.metzelermoto.com/product_info/catalogo/scheda.asp?ID=184&idCat=14

they make 150's and 160's which will fit the ZXR....

Then there is also the ME Z slicks and rain tyres.......

Don't know if they Micilin make Pilot H2 sports in the 150-160 size?????

Could also try Super Corsa's....

With the winter comming up I would have rather gotten myself some good ole GPR 70s (race version). They say that you can't get better tyers for the wet other than race wets than the GPR 70s (just as long as money is not a problem). They'r bloody good in the dry too.

White trash
12th May 2004, 13:54
With the winter comming up I would have rather gotten myself some good ole GPR 70s (race version). They say that you can't get better tyers for the wet other than race wets than the GPR 70s (just as long as money is not a problem). They'r bloody good in the dry too.

What he said.

RiderInBlack
12th May 2004, 14:47
What about Tyre Pressures? How do you guys workout what is best for you?
Have set this up as a new thread: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2953

FROSTY
12th May 2004, 15:47
for want of sounding really stupid--WTF are gpr70's --sorry guys last time i was buying performance rubber the hi sports were cutting edge

Motoracer
12th May 2004, 15:52
for want of sounding really stupid--WTF are gpr70's --sorry guys last time i was buying performance rubber the hi sports were cutting edge

They are Dunlops. I don't like Dunlops for bigger bikes with the likes of the D207 range but for 400cc or smaller, Dunlop GPR70 is the stuff!

FROSTY
12th May 2004, 16:02
thanks mate Ill check em out ohh btw those crash knobs are only 60 a pair ex mt edens

Motoracer
12th May 2004, 16:12
thanks mate Ill check em out ohh btw those crash knobs are only 60 a pair ex mt edens

No worries man. Thanx for letting me know about the price.

Kickaha
12th May 2004, 17:46
A slick will out perform any sticky road tyre in the dry and shouldn't cost anymore than the road tyre.

The downside being you really will need the spare set of wheels with treaded tyres for when it rains,the treaded tyres are a good compromise.

Motoracer
12th May 2004, 18:16
A slick will out perform any sticky road tyre in the dry and shouldn't cost anymore than the road tyre.

The downside being you really will need the spare set of wheels with treaded tyres for when it rains,the treaded tyres are a good compromise.

Not to mention the huge disadvantage of the lack of grip in the first lap at least, if you don't happen to have a set of tire warmers handy. Slicks with no warmers specially for sprint races wouldn't be too good.

FROSTY
12th May 2004, 20:14
yep Im thinking that at taupo or manfeild i aint gonna get much chance to warm em up

Kickaha
13th May 2004, 22:55
Tyre warmers would be good,but you don't really need them unless you're real serious and I still think a cold slick is better than a cold road tyre.

FROSTY
13th May 2004, 23:06
decision is made --Im going to go with the michellen race compound road tyres. Im working on the theory its gonna be cold and damp
I'm thinking Im a long way from needing the level of grip a slick in the dry or a full wet will offer--and realisticly at this stage I'm not going to notice the difference The advice i got was that with the michellens although they let go a fraction earlier than the other brands they give me lots of warning they are going to let go

FROSTY
13th May 2004, 23:09
Thanks for the feedback guys n gals -it was much apreciated

FROSTY
16th May 2004, 12:04
jeysus --tyres are harder to choose than clothes --I thought Yep Ill stick with wot I know--the michellens.
Ive swayed to the common advice given and Im going for the gpr70's
so if I end up on my arse cos the tyres let go Ill blame you guys lol
well Ill have a blooody excuse anyways

Racey Rider
31st May 2004, 22:31
Could someone who knows create a new thread: a sticky maybe with the links to all the bike tire manufaturers catalogs?

Thanks.
Racey.

http://www.metzelermoto.com/product_info/catalogo/index.asp
http://www.shinkotire.co.kr/emain.htm
http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/products/index.html
http://motous.webmichelin.com/home.htm
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com
http://www.pirellimoto.com/tires/catalogo/index.asp

Don't worry, I found them MYSELF!

Hoon
31st May 2004, 23:59
Last year was my first season and even though I had 3 sets of rims with slicks/intermediates/wets fitted I only ever used the slicks, even in the rain. However when my rear slick went bald I replaced it with a nice sticky road tyre (I bent one of my rear rims in an unrelated crash so was down to 2 rims and kept one of them with wets) because racing slicks in the wet was hurting my confidence.

Having spare rims and tyres are definately a bonus if the weather turns to shit but to make any use of them you have to learn how to race in the wet to utilize the advantage it gives you. My confidence in the wet was so bad that I wasn't even pushing my slicks past the limit and was 10 secs off my dry pace (at Puke) where others were only a few secs off.
I'm getting better now but this year I plan to do some focused wet training to learn my wet limits i.e. going to track days in the rain.

But I'm in the same situation as you with my new bike too (ZXR400 L1) and have to source new rubber and spare rims but fortunately I've still got the RGV for now so no major rush - looking at Sep/Oct before it hits the track. I'll probably just buy 2nd hand race tyres too - then I can try more brands for cheaper!

Racey Rider
1st June 2004, 09:50
Ok, Here we go again!

I've finally come round to the thinking that my family needs to go without food for a week, and buy New/Fresh tyres for my race bike. Have read all the tyre threads here again. and are looking for input from you guys riding/riden similiar size Track bikes

So, a KR1 250 two stroke. Race use only. Riden short races, by beginner racer.
I have two 18" rims for the rear. One has a good Dunlop GPR80 on, which I will use for dry tracks untill it's used up. The other rim, I'ld like to put a Wet tyre on. 18" limits the choice, but thinking a GPR70.
Going back to Manufactures recommended size. 140/60 18"

Trying to find a spare 3.00 17" front rim, but my immediate need is a tyre for the front.
With a GPR 80 on the back, should I put a Dunlop (GPR70?) on the front as well, or not a big deal unless it was for a top level racer?
Manufactures recommended size: 110/70 17"

You still like your BT090's KK?

Racey Rider
2nd June 2004, 19:20
:blink:
Well let me rephrase that then! <_<

Obviously, you don't want me pick'n a tyre thats gunner put me in front of you!
You don't want to help me find the right tyre,, and then not see it,, cause all you can see is my BACK tyre!! ;)

Anyone think I shouldn't put a GPR70 on the front of the 250?

Speak now or forever hold your peace! :calm: :calm: :beer:-coffee

Racey Rider
2nd June 2004, 19:21
Anyone think I shouldn't put a GPR70 on the front of the 250?

I thought not!
So I'll order it tomorrow. Hopefully be here (with my repaired wheel), on Friday. Good to Go for Saturday! :2thumbsup

Dunlop GPR 70 - $225 Hopefully will go well with the GPR 80 rear I have. Although,,
the BT 090 is $25 cheaper!
Here I go,,, talking to meself again :wacko:

Racey Rider
2nd June 2004, 19:22
Speak now or forever hold your peace!

No Jimbo!,,,,, Peace!
Not Piece! :stupid:

Hold your Peace!,,, It's a expression!
Means, Keep it to youself!

You don't actually have too forever hold your .......

Mind you! Keep THAT to yourself as well!! :whistle:

Racey Rider
2nd June 2004, 20:48
Here I go,,, talking to meself again

nothing wrong with talking to your self Racey! Some of the worlds great minds did talk to themselves.
Leave him alone! he's a fool!
Out! OUT DAM SPOTS!!

(Slap!)
and your very funny!

Racey Rider
2nd June 2004, 20:49
AI,, nice of you to say!

But what do you mean "Funny"?
Do you mean Funny :lol:
or Funny?? :wacko:

Racey Rider
2nd June 2004, 20:51
There'll be NO funny business going on here till "the Trash" is back at work!
WORK! HA! is that what he call's it! :bash:

Racey Rider
2nd June 2004, 20:52
Nooo!,,,,FUNNY!

Yor a very witt'e man Racey!
And with the face of an angel. :innocent:

Racey Rider
2nd June 2004, 20:53
No :o ,,, your too kind. :love:
Now, How do I put you on my buddy list? :hug:

Kickaha
2nd June 2004, 21:26
nothing wrong with talking to your self Racey!

Sometimes it's the only way to have a intelligent conversation! ;)

wkid_one
2nd June 2004, 21:44
9 posts in a row by the same person - great effort

Racey Rider
2nd June 2004, 23:41

Nope! Can't get much past you can we Wkid :Police:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It called Humor!

H U M O R !
Look it up!

It'll properly say something like: Humor :- Monty Pythoy, Rowan Atkinson, Racey Rider, etc, etc,

At least you'll be able to tell your grandkids you have heard of ONE of them! :doobey:

Racey Rider
3rd June 2004, 17:59
O my Goodness!
I just re read what I wrote yesterday. What was I on??

(fossics under the computer,, pulls up empty bottel.),,

Super Cheap, Super Diet, Super Cola, that tastes,,
Super

(reads fine print)

This product contains 3x the caffine of a normal cola.
0.0% alcahol, but keep it away from a flame anyway!
Not to be injested by children under 18 years of age, pregnant or breast feeding women.
Not to be used in conjunction with heavy machinery, and definitly don't use a computer within 12 hours of this product.

Well there you go then.
I wish they'ld make these warning lables bigger! :o

Racey Rider
3rd June 2004, 18:27

Just as well I didn't do more then 10 posts ha Wkid.

You would have had to take your socks off! :kick:

To Count the posts!! :stupid:

O, and just to finish this thread off on topic,,,

Thanks for all the good input on TYRES! :done: