PDA

View Full Version : They get you twice !!

brit_vtr
12th May 2004, 17:44
The UK's latest money making scam, 2 Gatso camera's 20 metres apart, 1 looking at you and 1 looking from behind. Both carry independant fines !!!.
So in the space of 20 metres you could get 6 points and an 80 pound fine.

Nice Huh ?.
:argh:

Deano
12th May 2004, 17:57
Yeah, sounds like a good case for double jeopardy to me. You cannot be convicted of the same offence twice, and speeding within the space of 20m would surely constitute a single offence???

Big Dog
12th May 2004, 17:57
If you were going fast enough to lose your license in one hit (150 kms here in New Zealand) what would happen with the other points?

brit_vtr
12th May 2004, 18:01
Yeah, sounds like a good case for double jeopardy to me. You cannot be convicted of the same offence twice, and speeding within the space of 20m would surely constitute a single offence???

Double Jeopardy...wots that then, Jeopardy is what the 4 wheeled types put us two wheeled types in every day, as for the law they only recognise it when they feel like it !!!.
:crazy:

brit_vtr
12th May 2004, 18:09
If you were going fast enough to lose your license in one hit (150 kms here in New Zealand) what would happen with the other points?

Points stay on your license for 4 years, the judge will decide how long or short the ban will be, once the ban is over any other points previously earned stay for the 4 years.

Ms Piggy
12th May 2004, 18:11
Double Jeopardy...wots that then, Jeopardy is what the 4 wheeled types put us two wheeled types in every day, as for the law they only recognise it when they feel like it !!!.
From what I hear (being a newish rider) this isn't just a UK thing, it's a world wide problem :argh:

Deano
12th May 2004, 18:12

Why not query them on it ? NZ law is based on British law so should be relatively consistent.

I agree on the 4wd mentality - "Im safe in my big 4wd with bullbars - other road users ? :whocares: "

brit_vtr
12th May 2004, 18:17
A few years ago a mate of mine was taken out by a yank tank, it didn't have orange indicators but red flashing ones (sort of similar to putiing your foot on the brake), the judge threw the case out - apparently my mate on his bike should have been more careful and made allowances for a forieghn vehicle !!!!

Motoracer
12th May 2004, 18:22
Thats like adding houses to your property in "monopoly" the game and thats exactly what it is, monopoly... They might as well have 3 or no why not have 4 cameras 20 meters apart... cunts!

brit_vtr
12th May 2004, 18:27
Thats like adding houses to your property in "monopoly" the game and thats exactly what it is, monopoly... They might as well have 3 or no why not have 4 cameras 20 meters apart... cunts!

Why not just start with the full 12 points, then get 1 removed every year if you are good, oh and you would have to pay for the priviledge as well ....shit did I say that....its too early in the morning for me !!.

I hope there aint any politicians in this here forum, they'll nick my idea and make it law !!

bluninja
12th May 2004, 18:53
Remind me not to head into essex when my bike is on the road :bleh: There's loads of speed cameras around Portsmouth and Southampton....but they are painted bright yellow and there is a sign 200 yards ahead that it's coming up. If you get flashed by these you deserve it.

Quite a few placings are being challenged as there have been no serious injury or fatal accidents anywhere near the site of the cameras.

I guess 20m apart it would be hard to give 2 sets of points; but when gatsos where first put up there were loads along one road into London a few miles apart and people did get banned running through each one and building up enough points to get banned.

TTFN

jimbo600
12th May 2004, 18:54
The UK's latest money making scam, 2 Gatso camera's 20 metres apart, 1 looking at you and 1 looking from behind. Both carry independant fines !!!.

Nice Huh ?.

And that kind of crap is the reason I left that bike hating country.

Oh and the crap Winters too.

Miss the beer though.

brit_vtr
12th May 2004, 19:15
Remind me not to head into essex when my bike is on the road :bleh: There's loads of speed cameras around Portsmouth and Southampton....but they are painted bright yellow and there is a sign 200 yards ahead that it's coming up. If you get flashed by these you deserve it.

Quite a few placings are being challenged as there have been no serious injury or fatal accidents anywhere near the site of the cameras.

I guess 20m apart it would be hard to give 2 sets of points; but when gatsos where first put up there were loads along one road into London a few miles apart and people did get banned running through each one and building up enough points to get banned.

TTFN

Essex (or SX) has more Gatso's than any other county, on the southend arterial road (near me) there is even a camera 5 metres from an open road sign !!.But we do have some very nice country lanes and pubs.
:ride:

pete376403
13th May 2004, 09:19

Nice Huh ?.
Do bikes in the UK have front number plates?

BritStorm
13th May 2004, 10:03
I think you've more chance of getting nicked for speeding here in NZ than in the UK. UK cameras are bright colours with warning signs and the chance of getting caught by a car on the quiter B roads and most A roads is very slim. Here in NZ however, there are stacks of police cars and they can nick you as they drive towards you. There also seems to be a real disparity in what happens depending on how fast you're going. They seem not to even bother trying to get you if you're really going for it (150 kph+) where as they stop and fine for 110 Kph.

I left the UK for lots of reasons...but I miss the football.......

White trash
13th May 2004, 10:17

Nice Huh ?.

Watching an old series of "Top Gear" the other night I see that you can beat a speed camera providing you're travelling faster than 170mph.

Problem solved :D

matthewt
13th May 2004, 10:19
I left the UK for lots of reasons...but I miss the football.......

Football ?? Ohhh, you mean soccer ;)

riffer
13th May 2004, 11:03
Watching an old series of "Top Gear" the other night I see that you can beat a speed camera providing you're travelling faster than 170mph.

grrr. not for me WT. My bike won't go that fast.

White trash
13th May 2004, 11:05
grrr. not for me WT. My bike won't go that fast.

Mine niether! 161 mph is it.

Coldkiwi
13th May 2004, 12:26
sheesh, talk about another reason not to live in Britain (sorry guys!).
Its definitely Italy for me! they may be slightly crazy but its gotta be better than a bunch of crazy politicians thinking they sane and creating the road equivalent of thought crime!

marty
13th May 2004, 13:35

not here you can't. there is a photo of paul radisich in his telstar on the back str8 @ puke at 260ish k - clear as a clear thing it is

Big Dog
13th May 2004, 17:31
not here you can't. there is a photo of paul radisich in his telstar on the back str8 @ puke at 260ish k - clear as a clear thing it is
170 mph is roughly 297kmph.

Big Dog
13th May 2004, 17:35
170 mph is roughly 297kmph.
oops just checked the Math with a conversion table 272kmph :o

The issue was not clarity but wether the car would still be in frame.

brit_vtr
13th May 2004, 17:44

I think its closer to 155 mph. Theres a story of two RAF types travelling at night down the M4 (London To Wales), a police car was sitting on the side of the road and recorded something travelling in excess of 155 mph , but as the radar is not calibrated beyond that they couldn't get a accurate reading, nor could they identify what was going that fast !!. These RAF type where lights out on two wheels (bike unknown), but using night vision goggles......who needs expensive "stealth planes" when you can have a "stealth" bike ??.