PDA

View Full Version : Wellington: Basic Motorcycle Maintenance Course

LB
13th May 2004, 10:42
Stewart Rodwell from TSS Motorcycles has arranged for the head Motorcycle Mechanic Tutor from Weltec to give a basic motorcycle maintenance course this coming Saturday (15th May). It starts at 10.00am, and finishes at 1.00pm. The course will be held at TSS.Motorcycles (see below for address).

BYO bike (to work on) if possible (though not compulsory).

The course will be basic, covering such things as tyre pressures, chain adjustment, oil changes etc.

The cost for this is $10.00 per head.

The course is limited to 25 persons, and you need to book a place. Celtic Sea Lily, Hamish and I have all booked to go along.

TSS Motorcycles are at 421 Cuba Street, Alicetown (sort of at the south end of the shopping centre).

For more information, or to register, give Stewart Rodwell a call on 569 3989.

Ghost Lemur
13th May 2004, 10:45
*wonders if Stewart has been reading the forums* :D

Hitcher
13th May 2004, 12:43
Stewart was talking about this a couple of weeks' ago -- although he didn't mention a cost!! TSS has a nice roomy workshop, so there should be plenty of space for a large turn-out!

Don't forget to admire the red Zeal!

FROSTY
13th May 2004, 12:46
glad to see a good idea has been taken up elsewhere
--christchurch --ure slacking off guys :ride:

James Deuce
13th May 2004, 13:01
*wonders if Stewart has been reading the forums* :D

Stew can read??

James Deuce
13th May 2004, 13:03
Stewart was talking about this a couple of weeks' ago -- although he didn't mention a cost!! .....

Retail and free are not comfy bedmates - anyway good on him!! He'll need the $10 to pay for the coffee everyone will drink.

k14
13th May 2004, 13:03
glad to see a good idea has been taken up elsewhere
--christchurch --ure slacking off guys :ride:

I would be keen, but I don't have a garage or anything to stage it. If anyone wants to im sure we can get a few people out.

LB
14th May 2004, 04:50
The $10 is basically to cover the ads he put in the Hutt News.

Mr Hitcher, he mentioned something about stripping down a red Zeal...... (just kidding!)

Hitcher
14th May 2004, 09:02
The $10 is basically to cover the ads he put in the Hutt News.

Mr Hitcher, he mentioned something about stripping down a red Zeal...... (just kidding!)

His workshop is fitting a new cam chain to the Zeal (annoying rattle at idle), so I guess there will be some undoing of nuts and removal of engine components involved...

LB
16th May 2004, 08:46
Report on the Maintenance Course

Yes indeed Mr Hitcher, your Zeal was the star :first: of the show (or the "patient" if you prefer!!)

About 20 of us turned up for this course. I found it really useful. It was pretty basic, but that's what I wanted.

There were a few KBers there (Celtic SL, MarkNZ, me).

Barry Gilbert (head Tutor at Weltec m/cycle mechanic school) is a great guy, explained stuff to us without making us feel like idiots. We got notes to take away as well, which I must say is a bonus, I wasn't expecting that. We were invited to ask questions as we went along, which some of us did.

Mr Hitcher: your chain is now lubed and adjusted correctly (though you do have rather a tight spot, so it's adjusted to be right at the tight spot and a bit loose in the non-tight spots), you have enough brake pads left, you have no visible oil leaks, your nuts and bolts are generally tight, your tyre pressures are okay, and your electrics all seem to work.

Stewart from TSS will be organising another of these basic courses, probably in a couple of month's time. I'll post details on KB, and I'd encourage anyone who wanted to do the one yesterday but was unable to, to try to get along. The best $10 I've spent in a while.

Added bonus: there's a bakery just across the road from TSS that does lovely sausage rolls (eh MarkNZ!!)

Ms Piggy
16th May 2004, 10:21
Yeah thanks Stewart for organising the event. :niceone: It was good to meet a few of you from KBers (HerB4) and some WIMA members.

I went straight home & put my ride on the centre stand (finally mastered that!) and lubed the chain! Woooooooooo!!

Hitcher
16th May 2004, 13:15

Yes indeed Mr Hitcher, your Zeal was the star :first: of the show (or the "patient" if you prefer!!)

Mr Hitcher: your chain is now lubed and adjusted correctly (though you do have rather a tight spot, so it's adjusted to be right at the tight spot and a bit loose in the non-tight spots), you have enough brake pads left, you have no visible oil leaks, your nuts and bolts are generally tight, your tyre pressures are okay, and your electrics all seem to work.

You didn't happen to notice if it had had its new cam chain fitted? I was going to call out and see Stewart on Saturday but got busy doing other things... Any prospective 250 buyers drooling over it?

Ghost Lemur
16th May 2004, 13:56
You didn't happen to notice if it had had its new cam chain fitted? I was going to call out and see Stewart on Saturday but got busy doing other things... Any prospective 250 buyers drooling over it?

Of course...

Right before I cry over how far it is out of my current price range. :disapint:

FROSTY
16th May 2004, 14:44
did anybody keep a copy of the notes--I'd apreciatew them for the spanner night here in auckland :not:

LB
17th May 2004, 05:45
did anybody keep a copy of the notes--I'd apreciatew them for the spanner night here in auckland :not:
yep, I've got mine. I'll get a copy to you (will talk with Barry (the tutor) first as a courtesy, but I'm sure he won't have a problem)

PM me your postal address.

FROSTY
17th May 2004, 11:35
yep, I've got mine. I'll get a copy to you (will talk with Barry (the tutor) first as a courtesy, but I'm sure he won't have a problem)

PM me your postal address.+
will do--actually celtic sea liy has it

Marknz
17th May 2004, 18:31

Added bonus: there's a bakery just across the road from TSS that does lovely sausage rolls (eh MarkNZ!!)

oh yea, there were alright I suppose

// trying to play it down so there's plenty left for me next Saturday morning ;-) //

LB
18th May 2004, 05:40
+
will do--actually celtic sea liy has it
I'll be posting the notes to you today

Groins_NZ
19th November 2004, 13:57
Hello - any update on a second course?

Cheers