PDA

View Full Version : Flood evidence....

Motu
21st May 2006, 22:30
We had some big rain a few weeks back,I saw some evidence today.

I had a bit of a toodle around the Waikato West roads today,concentrating on the maze of roads between SH22 and Te Aku Coast Rd.Over the years I've been on every one,but placing them together in my mind is difficult....today I tried most,doubling back on myself,turning around and taking another road,once I even looped back onto the road I came off and didn't even know.I had been down this road many times,but never up it,so never recognised the intersection.

So I'm following a road next to a stream,and looking to my left I see a fenceline with the wires all filled in,so stop to check it out.The fence is about 30 mtrs from the bank,and say 3 mtrs above - and it is completely full of debri,grass,punga fronds etc.Wow I think,this stream overflowed so much it was above the fenceline...then I realise that sitting on my bike the fence is in my direct line of sight....and looking to my right I pick out debri in the trees and in a fence further along.Shit - where I am sitting on my bike,a few weeks ago I would be completely under water,the road would of been damn near 2 mtrs under water.Next big rain - I'll be back!

Coming back onto SH22 at Pepepe a couple of nice sidecars go past,so I slip in behind them as we head north to Naike.I'm keen on sidecars and I want to see them in action - they are a couple of old farts (ahem) and so only ride slow....certainly way slower than a dirt bike on knobs anyway.I pass one on a straight,it's an old school 1100 Suzuki,standard forks,the next I pass on a righthander,it's a yellow VMax with leading link forks.I stop at Heatherington Rd to watch them take the corners....then home,with a stop at Kimmy's Farm to jealously watch some real dirt bikes in action.

Always something interesting on a gravel road....

sAsLEX
21st May 2006, 23:26
The road next to the buller River goes through a gorge where it dips to one lane and you drive through a nearly enclosed section of rock, at this point the river is a good 60 feet below you and the valley a good few hundred feet across, but look up at the telephone pole when the road returns to two lanes and there is a small sign signifying the last decent flood.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8131&d=1110247241

Flyingpony
22nd May 2006, 00:49
The road next to the buller River goes through a gorge where it dips to one lane and you drive through a nearly enclosed section of rock
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8131&d=1110247241
Nice to see some old roads again.

When it rains, water can go up onto the road. I've known of locals trying to get into town when it floods only to make it part way through ... odd how engines don't like getting water sucked into their air intakes.

For those that don't know, it's one lane too :) and just high enough for a standard freight truck to pass under. Cattle trucks are too high.

sAsLEX
22nd May 2006, 03:57
When I took that photo is was a breif fine period the rest of the day it was bucketing down, lots of fun in a Commodore in need of new tires aquaplaning all over the place!