PDA

View Full Version : Airbox for 2001 Bandit 1200S

Patrick
22nd May 2006, 21:04
Could be after one... having carbs etc looked at as we speak, but if needed, anyone able to get me an airbox if I have to return her to standard????:bye:

Lou Girardin
23rd May 2006, 08:39
Could be after one... having carbs etc looked at as we speak, but if needed, anyone able to get me an airbox if I have to return her to standard????:bye:

It sounds like it's had the air box mod. Is there a 50mm hole in the top?
If so, a dyno tune is needed, I can give you the Dynojet settings I had on my last bike.
If you want to go back to standard, just block the hole off. Fit 110 main jets and shim the needles .020". It'll pay to clean the carbs thoroughly and check float levels etc.

Patrick
24th May 2006, 09:37
Thanks Lou... since I am mechanically illiterate, I will try to repeat what I've been told...

Here goes...

She has had Pod filters put in and the "main jets have been done to 150, the lower end are standard. It is running very rich and it may just need rejetting and some minor adjusting/tuning, but without knowing exactly what has been done to the carbs, diagnosingit could be costly. An option could be returning it to standard, getting an airbox and perhaps a K & N filter installed..."

Or summit like that (but fairly sure it was wot woz sed).

What do you reckon??????????

Lou Girardin
24th May 2006, 11:10
Dump the pods, take it back to stock, use a stock air filter. But run the 110 mains and shimmed needles to suit the aftermarket can.
If you want more power, drill a 50mm hole in the top of the airbox and run 150 mains to start, then get it dyno'd.
The airbox on the 1200's is one of the restrictions Suzuki designed in.
Mine made 111hp (corrected) at the wheel on a conservative dyno.

roogazza
24th May 2006, 14:42

Suzuki changed the airbox from the 1G to the 2G . I have the earlier model. I know the mod on mine as Lou has said is to put an extra 2in hole in the box cover . 127 mains are used . Would have thought with pods you have go larger ? Has it got a jet kit or just big mains ? Log onto Bandit .com or Maximum Suzuki and there is a wealth of info on all topics... G.

Patrick
24th May 2006, 21:43
Hey Roogazza, do you know this bike? It came from Paraparam....

Patrick
24th May 2006, 21:48
Dump the pods, take it back to stock, use a stock air filter. But run the 110 mains and shimmed needles to suit the aftermarket can.
If you want more power, drill a 50mm hole in the top of the airbox and run 150 mains to start, then get it dyno'd.
The airbox on the 1200's is one of the restrictions Suzuki designed in.
Mine made 111hp (corrected) at the wheel on a conservative dyno.

Any known ballpark costs involved in this? Sounds expensive...pods appear OK and need a tune only?

Lou Girardin
25th May 2006, 08:52
Any known ballpark costs involved in this? Sounds expensive...pods appear OK and need a tune only?

Pixie and I did it ourselves, it's not difficult if you have some mech knowledge.
But with yours I think the carbs may need a thorough going over, setting float levels, strip and clean etc.
I'd guess at about 4 - 5 hours plus parts to take it back to stock.
It may work out more to get the pod sustem running right as the mechanic won't have base settings to work from. And it may never run correctly even then. Plus a modded standard airbox flows all the air a stock engine needs, pods are overkill.