PDA

View Full Version : Please concentrate when riding okay?

beyond
23rd May 2006, 19:36
I wasn't going to share the following as I feel like a right dick, BUT if it stops anyone else doing what I did, then it's worth passing on.

Please folks, when out riding concentrate, concentrate and concentrate all the time okay. Never take your eyes off the road, even for a split second.

I did a stupid thing Sunday, two weeks ago. Went for a ride with 10 other guys all riding the latest litre sports bikes, none that I know of from Kiwibikers. We covered around 350kms and stopped for lunch out Raglan and came back all the back roads North of the power station. On the way back, I'm sitting behind my mate on his R1 and we are both well out front on real twisty roads doing around 130-180kmh. I hadn't been on this particular road before but further to the West, was a property I used to hunt on regularly with a huge stand of pine trees that can be seen for long distance on the ridge line. They can be seen from the Bombay's and from the high points at Raglan, if you know where to look. I use these pines as a marker to tell roughly where I am.

Now this was a dumb thing to do and I know it, so no lectures please. :)
This is why I issue a warning about staying focused. We are heading over this hill and as we near the top at around 160kmh my mate disappears down the other side and just before I crest it, I take a quick look to the left to see if I can see my position marker ( the pines).

I'm over the rise and assumed the road went straight ahead, (dumb assumption) but taking my eyes off the road for a split second, meant I didn't realise it was a hard right hand corner over the other side. :( :shit:

With a GSX1400, when you take a corner real fast, you have to hang off the bike to stop the bits scratching the tarmac, but of course, there was now no time to get over the side.

On with the front binders real hard, bleed a hell of lot of speed off, release the brake a bit to stop front wheel wash out and throw my loverly bike into the corner. I Honestly thought I was going to make it, but I was riding the edge of the seal and gravel nearly all the way around. The tyres are right on the edge of the seal, but i was in too hot and couldn't brake any harder without losing it and was over as far as I could go while the pegs were scratching the ground hard. The tyres peel off the seal about three quarters of the way around the corner, I hit the gravel and go into a large side on slide, down towards the shallow drain, ripping through the black berries, grass and gravel. I'm still sitting on the bike, sort of, but it came down hard on my knee even though I'm wearing all the gears and armour.

With the adrenaline pumping, I felt nothing, picked the bike up quickly (all 250kgs wet) jumped on, fired her up while giving her a quick look over, rode out of the drain back onto the road and let her rip. I hit 100kmh before the other eight, litre bikes come around the corner. They were none the wiser till we caught number 1 rider waiting at an intersection and they all wondered why my whole right side was covered in crap.

After getting home my knee started to hurt like hell. On the Monday I'm at A & E getting Xrays. Just bad bruising in the knee joint but no breaks or chips. The knees been pretty sore the last couple of weeks and is only just starting to come right.

I normally tell my wife about my stupid off road excursions, but didn't want to worry her this time. You know how they go. So, it's been hell trying to walk normally around her when your leg feels like it's going to crack in half with every step. Then your daughter decides to sit on your knee while watching telly and you are in agony.

The knees nearly right now, but just want to say again, please concentrate.
This could have been a whole lot worse and usually is when you take a road bike off road.

The good thing about a naked bike is, there's hardly any damage. The right lower engine cover is scratched, the lower frame and a little under the exhaust, but I think my leg took most of the slide through the gravel and down into the drain.

So, stay totally focused, especially when riding hard. Nuff said.

SkOrM
23rd May 2006, 19:49
no wonder why you had a slight limp in Drury... sorry to here about that mate
hope you get well soon :rockon:

ZeroIndex
23rd May 2006, 19:55
damn that sucks.. thanks for the reminder of concentrating every second.. hope you manage to get everything sorted out

terbang
23rd May 2006, 19:58
Oooh there beyonce you are a lucky lad and hope you come right. It is also a hard thing to deal with between your ears for a while when you take a bin isnt it. You are right about the concentration thing and I suspect we all suffer from it a lot more than we realise.
Ive ridden with Beyond on a couple of occasions and he is clearly experienced, rides his machine well and knows a lot about it. I for one will take heed of his warning and review my riding accordingly.

MSTRS
23rd May 2006, 20:02
'Ordinary' vigilance is not enough at those speeds either. Gotta rack it all up a notch. Glad you are here to tell us about it.

Mumbles
23rd May 2006, 20:08
You need to buy a lotto ticket! lucky your still in the land of the living (just dont tell the wife). good to see you used your leg to protect your "pride and joy" Big :2thumbsup ups for the honesty.

Kendog
23rd May 2006, 20:12
Glad to hear you are ok! Amazing how quickly things can happen over a split second. And crest of hills are a hazard in themselves! Good recovery by the sounds of things though. Pride intact. Well done.:sunny:
I find it a problem to take eyes off road for a sec to focus on speedo then to re-focus back onto the road, bloody dangerous, but not a good enough excuse to be speeding apparantly! (Couldn't take my eyes off the road to check speedo Officer). Maybe I just need glasses.:shit:
Mrs KD

yungatart
23rd May 2006, 20:19
You are a lucky bunny all right. Thanks for sharing your "dickhead" moment. It could have very easily ended so differently - a timely warning, indeed. Top marks to you also, for taking full responsibility - bling awarded!

BarBender
23rd May 2006, 20:31
Appreciate the pearls of wisdom and experience.
Will be extra focused when the needle moves clockwise.

Glad to hear youre with us.

SPman
23rd May 2006, 20:34
As the speed ups, the concentration has to, even more. A slight lapse can lead to disaster, because the reaction times are cut by so much.
Glad to hear you came out reasonably OK - It scares the crap out of ya, doesnt it.

Flyingpony
23rd May 2006, 20:52
Thanks for posting that. Was a real eye opener wasn't it!

Have done the same as yourself on my dirt bike years ago, except at the end of this sliding crash I was high sided.

XTC
23rd May 2006, 20:53
Do you really need to use distant pine trees to know where you are?? I generally use road signs. :) Glad it wasn't more serious.

erik
23rd May 2006, 20:59
160km/h over a blind crest on an unfamiliar road? :crazy:

I've had one bin and a few near misses on corners due to momentary lapses of concentration.
Now when I ride I constantly make sure I'm focused on the road ahead, thinking about the next corner, stopping my thoughts when they start to wander a bit.

Glad you came out of that with just a sore knee, sounds like you were real lucky (and must've taken a fair bit of skill too. I can only hope I'd be able to do the same in that situation :not: ).

Sketchy_Racer
23rd May 2006, 21:52
Yep, you also gotta watch them blind corners. you just don't know what is around the bend. I learnt this the hard way on sunday. Keep focused guys.

Insanity_rules
24th May 2006, 07:49
Yep, you also gotta watch them blind corners. you just don't know what is around the bend. I learnt this the hard way on sunday. Keep focused guys.

Shit RG, what did you do mate? No damage I hope? Thanks for the wisdom beyond, your a top bloke for admitting stupidity in front of this many people.

Lou Girardin
24th May 2006, 08:25
So, were they the right bunch of pines?

beyond
24th May 2006, 08:59
So, were they the right bunch of pines?

:killingme :killingme

Never saw the pines mate. Too fast, not enough time for a good look and in the end it wasn't worth trying to find them really, was it? :)

Won't be bothering to look for them next time I'm out that way. Peepers on the road every second from here on in.

Mr. Peanut
24th May 2006, 09:42
I did the same thing on my scooter, didn't come off tho, kinda aqua planed in a massive water filled ditch and drove the bike out again (not before reasurring the alarmed motorists behind me (whaddya think the L plates for mind your own business!?) STUPID SJ125:angry: )

And yeah I didn't tell my close ones about that, I just resigned to never doing it AGAIN!

Hope you recover fully, it's just a shame that bikes don't work the same way...

thatHurt
24th May 2006, 09:56
Oooh there beyonce you are a lucky lad

Was that a Freudian slip or you always call him that?:blip: