PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi Biker chat

SpankMe
13th May 2004, 20:53
<center><b>Kiwi Biker has chat</b></center>
Just installed ZZ FlashChat for all those who like to talk too much. :D

It's a simple chat app but it should serve it's purpose.

You will need Macromedia Flash to use it.

Zed
13th May 2004, 21:50
I like it! Good job SM :first:

Marknz
13th May 2004, 21:57
good on ya fella, now i have another excuse not to study

Hitcher
13th May 2004, 22:14
Bummer! I can't install Micromedia Flash on my home computer. Installing just hangs the browser. I'm running IE version 5.50.4807.2300. Any bright ideas from the propellor-heads?

Zed
13th May 2004, 22:35
Bummer! I can't install Micromedia Flash on my home computer. Installing just hangs the browser. I'm running IE version 5.50.4807.2300. Any bright ideas from the propellor-heads?
Upgrade to IE6.

matthewt
13th May 2004, 22:36
Nice, first two things on the config list

1) increase the inactivity timeout
2) correct the timezone

Nice feature !!

Ghost Lemur
13th May 2004, 22:38
Upgrade to IE6.

Don't do it. Please, don't do it.

Get either Firefox or Mozilla. Do a google you'll find them quick enough. Moz is your all in one, so has a mail client etc. Firefox is purely the browser.

Built in popup blocker, opensauce, less security holes, and it's based on the w3c standards.

Motoracer
13th May 2004, 22:50
Cool Idea Spank! :2thumbsup

Zed
13th May 2004, 23:05
Don't do it. Please, don't do it.

Get either Firefox or Mozilla. Do a google you'll find them quick enough. Moz is your all in one, so has a mail client etc. Firefox is purely the browser.

Built in popup blocker, opensauce, less security holes, and it's based on the w3c standards.
Cmon, he's already got IE5 integrated into his OS...upgrading to IE6 will be smoother than changing browsers to one that has significantly less features. There are pros & cons here!

FROSTY
13th May 2004, 23:18
ducking down below all this hibrow computer talk--red pill or blue pill???

Hitcher
14th May 2004, 09:04
Cmon, he's already got IE5 integrated into his OS...upgrading to IE6 will be smoother than changing browsers to one that has significantly less features. There are pros & cons here!

On 56.6k dial-up, how long is it going to take to download IE6 or Mozilla? Or does some kind person have a CD-ROM I could borrow?

SpankMe
14th May 2004, 09:14
Leave it downloading overnight. Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) is a good browser. I've dropped all MS office shite and replaced them with Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org) and the mozilla mail client thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/). Now things run much faster. MS office has become bloated with so many options you never use.

bungbung
14th May 2004, 10:15
If I go to the chat room, and it says bungbung entered at xyzpm, how do I chat? I tried randomly clicking and typing, but not much is happening...

White trash
14th May 2004, 10:23
Me too, but then I do know very little of such things..... :brick:

bungbung
14th May 2004, 10:28
I've worked it out -

You type your message on the brown bar at the bottom of the message window and push enter to submit it...

SpankMe
14th May 2004, 10:28
Click inside the bar at the bottom, left of the submit button, then type.

dss3
14th May 2004, 10:35
probably off topic here, but is there anyway to change your username? I have tried in vain myself to find anyway to do this but have failed!
-daryl :stupid:

Ms Piggy
14th May 2004, 11:45
I just went to log in (b/c I need something else to distract me from study!) and a message came up saying "you have been logged out due to inactivity" so does that mean no-one else was in there or something else?

Ghost Lemur
14th May 2004, 14:31
I just went to log in (b/c I need something else to distract me from study!) and a message came up saying "you have been logged out due to inactivity" so does that mean no-one else was in there or something else?

No. Just means you hadn't said anything for too long.

FROSTY
14th May 2004, 14:36
thats one thing that needs to be fixed for sure

Ms Piggy
14th May 2004, 15:36
No. Just means you hadn't said anything for too long.
Ummmm...I had only just logged in ie.1 second earlier. And I always have something to say :laugh:

MadDuck
14th May 2004, 23:07
Dont work SpankMe. Says I am in chat room but all I get is big green screen and nuffin else.
I wont talk it personally

Two Smoker
14th May 2004, 23:45
I think that the Chat thing has a limit to the amount of people that can be in it????

Posh Tourer :P
15th May 2004, 14:59
HTTP error 504
504 No response from server

Error connecting to 'www.kiwibikier.co.nz'.

A bug in the chat, when you are not logged in and you go to chat and click on the "Register" link. I think all that needs to be changed is to "kiwibiker"

Thanks

Deano
16th May 2004, 17:36
probably off topic here, but is there anyway to change your username? I have tried in vain myself to find anyway to do this but have failed!
-daryl :stupid:

You could pm spankme and he will prob do it for you.

PuppetMaster
18th May 2004, 09:12
Only Spakme or admins can change your name.

Posh Tourer. If you log into the forums, you will be logged into the chat. You cant be anomynous in chat.
The 504 No response from server basically means either the site is down or your internet connection sux so bad that it has timed out connecting.
Or more likely your ISP's DNS server is busy and cant resolve the domain name.

Hitcher. Macromedia flash will work with IE5.5
Goto this webpage and manually DL and install it -
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
Make sure you click "YES" to the security warning certificate.
If you decide you need a new browser, go for Opera. it is a better product than Mozilla. I wouldnt bother if ur using dialup.

MadDuck. Try deleting your cache.

Hitcher
18th May 2004, 10:45
Hitcher. Macromedia flash will work with IE5.5
Goto this webpage and manually DL and install it -
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
Make sure you click "YES" to the security warning certificate.
If you decide you need a new browser, go for Opera. it is a better product than Mozilla. I wouldnt bother if ur using dialup.

MadDuck. Try deleting your cache.

Installed Mozilla at the weekend. Runs very well, as does Flashplayer upon it.

Ghost Lemur
18th May 2004, 11:10

w00t..

Another one joins the force. :D

PuppetMaster
18th May 2004, 11:22

Whats your address....Some men in black suits from Microsoft want a word :shit:

riffer
18th May 2004, 12:32
w00t..

Another one joins the force. :D
Used mozilla for a while on my PC as I got sick of popups. I'm currently trying out Firefox 0.8.

Seems to work quite well, as does the latest Safari on MacOs X.3.4

dhunt
18th May 2004, 13:36
Looks great!

One problem I wasn't logged into kiwibiker when I clicked on the chat link so it came up with a box to register which when clicked on tries to go to

www.kiwibikier.co.nz

not www.kiwibiker.co.nz

Logging into kiwibiker first gets round this but ... :)

David

jrandom
27th May 2004, 19:50
Nobody uses the chat feature now, as far as I can tell.

I think the problem is that the chat app sucks so much CPU that it's not practical to leave it running, and you CAN'T leave it running anyway, because it logs you out too quickly. I assume that everyone does what I do - a quick occasional pop into the chat box to see if anyone else is in there, and closing it when we discover we're on our own.

Unfortunately, with everyone doing that, it's very unlikely that we'll ever run into each other and start, you know, *chatting*.

If SpankMe ran an IRC server that required, say, site member names and passwords to connect, that would be most marvellous as a replacement for the Flash app. Whaddaya reckon Spank?

In the meantime I'm going to open the chat window for a few minutes to see if anyone else turns up.

jrandom
27th May 2004, 20:05
Oh yeah, and it seems that you usually have to open and close the chat window once or twice before it figures you out and displays correctly. Good try Cajun, give it another crack eh?

MikeL
27th May 2004, 20:52
Have logged on 4 times so far (around this time of an evening) and found that I am alone in the universe. Enough to bring on another existential crisis!

Sk8r_Boi_
27th May 2004, 20:57
Im Finding The Chat Hard To Use And Its Also Very Slow........ :(

danb
29th May 2004, 20:27
Here is a good Idea..(Hopefully :) )

We need to set-up some time of when there is going to be a chat session every few days or so. This is so we can have a good proper chat to everyone at once at a certain time so we know when everyone is going to be online. Every time I have been logged in I haven’t been able to test out the chat thing as no one is in it. :angry2:

How about:
Monday 08:00pm - Discuss the week ahead
Wednesday 08:00pm - General Gossip
Friday 08:00pm - Discuss what’s happening over the weekend etc
Saturday 08:00pm - Saturday Gossip
Sunday 08:00pm - Discuss the weekend rides

Don't Know what the server is like at handling heaps of requests at once (From my website) but im sure it will handle it with the speed that its spitting out pages at the moment.

wkid_one
29th May 2004, 21:45

We need to set-up some time of when there is going to be a chat session every few days or so. This is so we can have a good proper chat to everyone at once at a certain time so we know when everyone is going to be online. Every time I have been logged in I haven’t been able to test out the chat thing as no one is in it. :angry2:

How about:

Don't Know what the server is like at handling heaps of requests at once (From my website) but im sure it will handle it with the speed that its spitting out pages at the moment.
Or how about we do what we are already doing and log on when we have time and talk about shit! Seems to be working thus far.

wkid_one
29th May 2004, 21:45
Have logged on 4 times so far (around this time of an evening) and found that I am alone in the universe. Enough to bring on another existential crisis!
Fuck Mike - this is definitely a Zed Baiting comment.....:lol: :2thumbsup

Ms Piggy
29th May 2004, 22:51

I find that sometimes if I login someone else will soon login to chat.

A major problem I had the other night though was that I couldn't login - and the people that were in that chat room said that I was showing up on the 'whose online list' as being there up to 25 times. :crazy: I ended up logging into chat under a different user name.

29th May 2004, 23:21
There is often enough a couple of people in there. Chatting during the day while at work doenst work very well though....

wari
30th May 2004, 07:09

How about:

You'ran ideas man dan ... b :yeah:

Hitcher
30th May 2004, 13:28
I ended up logging into chat under a different user name.

A name that doesn't do you justice!

Hitcher
30th May 2004, 13:29

How about:

And in between we can listen to the Klan members discussing religion...

wari
30th May 2004, 13:33
And in between we can listen to the Klan members discussing religion...

Groaaan ... now you've dunnit .. :kick: :spudwave:

Hitcher
30th May 2004, 13:36
Groaaan ... now you've dunnit .. :kick: :spudwave:

Coming soon to a web site near you... The God Botherers v The Atheists followed by The Evolutionists v The Creationists. Personally I'd rather watch paint dry -- especially that new stuff that goes on pink and goes white as it dries...

wkid_one
30th May 2004, 13:57
I find that sometimes if I login someone else will soon login to chat.

A major problem I had the other night though was that I couldn't login - and the people that were in that chat room said that I was showing up on the 'whose online list' as being there up to 25 times. :crazy: I ended up logging into chat under a different user name.
Ummm - you were showing up in my list 36 times!

erik
30th May 2004, 14:06
Nobody uses the chat feature now, as far as I can tell.

I think the problem is that the chat app sucks so much CPU that it's not practical to leave it running, and you CAN'T leave it running anyway, because it logs you out too quickly.

If SpankMe ran an IRC server that required, say, site member names and passwords to connect, that would be most marvellous as a replacement for the Flash app. Whaddaya reckon Spank?

Those problems are the main reasons I don't use the chat feature much. There is already an irc Kiwibiker channel on Dalnet set up by paco27zim, but it requires a pass word and registering a nick and downloading an irc client. I guess the problem with that is that it's too complicated for most people to bother trying.

I think it would be cool if SpankMe could put a web-based irc client on www.kiwibiker.co.nz and have it connect to some irc channel. That way, people that had their own irc clients could use them to join the channel and people that didn't have irc clients could just use the web-based version.
I know it's possible, but I don't know if there are any free web-based irc client program things, or how much work it would be.

Just an idea...

danb
30th May 2004, 23:31
Those problems are the main reasons I don't use the chat feature much. There is already an irc Kiwibiker channel on Dalnet set up by paco27zim, but it requires a pass word and registering a nick and downloading an irc client. I guess the problem with that is that it's too complicated for most people to bother trying.

I think it would be cool if SpankMe could put a web-based irc client on www.kiwibiker.co.nz and have it connect to some irc channel. That way, people that had their own irc clients could use them to join the channel and people that didn't have irc clients could just use the web-based version.
I know it's possible, but I don't know if there are any free web-based irc client program things, or how much work it would be.

Just an idea...

IRC used it once - wasn’t impressed... and to complicated to use.

BTW how many of you actually use it??

danb
30th May 2004, 23:40
There is often enough a couple of people in there. Chatting during the day while at work doenst work very well though....
From finally chatting to someone on the chat it worked very well.. It could very well be that your Internet connection is slow, especially it you are at work and the Internet is shared between users. I’m on a 256k Internet connection so maybe that’s why it was fast for me :rolleyes:

erik
31st May 2004, 17:55
IRC used it once - wasn’t impressed... and to complicated to use.

IRC is great, once you get used to using it. If all you want to do is chat with it, it isn't that complicated, and there are user guides on the net or in the help files. And it's not just for chatting! You can use it to get mp3's, videos, etc. too. I use mirc (www.mirc.com).

BTW how many of you actually use it??

Well, let me see now... There's paco27zim, and there's me, and... umm...
*goes and checks the kiwibiker chat window in which he's been idling since 8:38am*

2 people. :mellow:

But paco27zim hasn't actually been in there today, so today it's just been me. I'm not that sad that I hang around in an empty irc room in hope that someone will come and talk to me though, it's just that I set up mirc to open the room automatically, so when I use mirc to chat in other rooms, or download stuff, kiwibiker opens too. Honest... ;)

Ms Piggy
31st May 2004, 18:06
Ummm - you were showing up in my list 36 times!

Well I know I'm popular but that's ridiculous! Oh and humble of course :whistle:

Antallica
31st May 2004, 23:07
Get yo asses in the chatroom... I'm bored and drinking a Red....

bah

FROSTY
31st May 2004, 23:12
nope cant be bothered

jrandom
2nd June 2004, 23:51
Anyone else bored right now, log into chat. I'll be there for a few minutes. Otherwise I may just go to bed.

Ho hum.

PuppetMaster
3rd June 2004, 07:26
IRC is a good tool. Its free And its not hard to use at all, type-submit.
But people at work most likely wont be able to use it as most firewalls (if there smart) will block IRC traffic.
Also registering a IRC channel costs, who's gonna pay for it ?

erik
3rd June 2004, 11:15
Also registering a IRC channel costs, who's gonna pay for it ?

I thought it was free? I had a look on the Afternet website www.afternet.org, and it didn't mention anything about charging for registering a channel. Maybe other networks charge though?

danb
5th June 2004, 22:58
IRC is great, once you get used to using it. If all you want to do is chat with it, it isn't that complicated, and there are user guides on the net or in the help files. And it's not just for chatting! You can use it to get mp3's, videos, etc. too. I use mirc (www.mirc.com).

Well, let me see now... There's paco27zim, and there's me, and... umm...
*goes and checks the kiwibiker chat window in which he's been idling since 8:38am*

2 people. :mellow:

But paco27zim hasn't actually been in there today, so today it's just been me. I'm not that sad that I hang around in an empty irc room in hope that someone will come and talk to me though, it's just that I set up mirc to open the room automatically, so when I use mirc to chat in other rooms, or download stuff, kiwibiker opens too. Honest... ;)

AHH stuff it I cant be fu*ked RTFM :argh:

And 2 people in there LMAO.....

Ghost Lemur
5th June 2004, 23:35
as far as irc clients go...

I just came across this one (http://www.xchat.org/download/).

Even on Linux, it took 20 seconds to install. Another 20 to configure and I was away.

crazylittleshit
26th October 2004, 14:36
Is this working at all? :Playnice:

SpankMe
26th October 2004, 14:53
Seems to be working fine.

SpankMe
27th November 2004, 14:38
ok, I have gotten rid of the flash chat and have installed a much better PHP chat prog (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/vBChat.php). Should be much easier to use.

SpankMe
25th February 2005, 15:23
Upgraded Chat to a newer version.

bugjuice
25th February 2005, 15:34
I've been on there a few times, but hardly anyone uses it.. there a good time and bad time..??
I'm off there to waste the rest of the working day..

danb
25th February 2005, 15:37
What the...

Who dug up this old topic!! :confused:

OLD SCHOOL :banana:

bugjuice
25th February 2005, 15:52
What the...

Who dug up this old topic!! :confused:

OLD SCHOOL :banana:
errrrr.. spank?? :spudwhat:

カワサキキド
25th February 2005, 20:38
At around 1:00am a week or so ago there was only about 7 of us online but we all managed to find or way into the chat room at the same time. Busiest I have ever seen it.

Midnight 82
11th March 2005, 19:17
:spudwhat: Does anyone use VB chat I have not seen anyone on there.

bugjuice
11th March 2005, 20:05
used to, but hardly anyone uses it.. you can shout 'echo..' in there, and it goes on forever.. there's tumble weed rolling past too, if you watch carefully. I can imagine there are busy times, but haven't seen them yet

pyrocam
30th October 2005, 15:37
hey spankme. is there a way to either speed up the response time or get something like a irc client. you can get webased ones that work quite well and would probably look and work pretty similar.

eg this one:
http://www.chat4all.org/jirc252/eng_chat.html

1st November 2005, 22:33
hey spankme. is there a way to either speed up the response time or get something like a irc client. you can get webased ones that work quite well and would probably look and work pretty similar.

eg this one:
http://www.chat4all.org/jirc252/eng_chat.html

True... it is ok for high speed users, but for dial-up, pretty atrocious....

pyrocam
1st November 2005, 23:40
True... it is ok for high speed users, but for dial-up, pretty atrocious....
im on a pretty fast internet connection both at work and home and its still slow as crapola.

sorry. its one of those 'ill edit this when im sober posts'

SpankMe
2nd November 2005, 08:38
New chat coming with new vB version when conversion is complete.

inlinefour
7th November 2005, 19:43
can't use the chat room at work now that it has been upgraded. Oh well, my employer will be happy Im sure...

pyrocam
7th November 2005, 22:00
New chat coming with new vB version when conversion is complete.

fuck YEAUUUH