PDA

View Full Version : How to: painting or dyeing leather

feral1
26th May 2006, 21:07
There must be some crafty type of people out there that have had a go at painting leather.

What sort of paints/dye did you use?
Did it work? i.e. is it a tough and durable result?

Have had a quick search on the web, but couldn't really come up with any leads. So any hints, tips or leads are appreciatted.

Was hoping to fill in a few colour panels on my leathers, so it can't be a process that relies on being able to dye individual panels before they are assembeld, but most likely painting the bits would be the better method.

let us know if you have tried this.

El Dopa
26th May 2006, 22:00
There must be some crafty type of people out there that have had a go at painting leather.

What sort of paints/dye did you use?
Did it work? i.e. is it a tough and durable result?

Have had a quick search on the web, but couldn't really come up with any leads. So any hints, tips or leads are appreciatted.

Was hoping to fill in a few colour panels on my leathers, so it can't be a process that relies on being able to dye individual panels before they are assembeld, but most likely painting the bits would be the better method.

let us know if you have tried this.

Haven't tried it, so I can't tell you what paint to use. Sorry.

However, I had a 'metal' style bikers jacket a few years ago when I was fully into thrash. A mates girlfriend painted a skull on the back. Dunno what she used, but it was really, really hard wearing and durable. Fully water, beer, sweat and moshpit proof.

So yeah, its very much doable.

RiderInBlack
27th May 2006, 06:04
PM babyB. She's the one in the know for this kind of thing. She recolours, cleans and conditions Leathers. She's bloody good at it too.

DingDong
27th May 2006, 08:30
BabyB, she's a nice lady... PM her

feral1
27th May 2006, 09:25
PM babyB. She's the one in the know for this kind of thing. She recolours, cleans and conditions Leathers. She's bloody good at it too.

Cheers for the lead guys.
Will PM her and see how it goes.

ta
Feral

Toast
27th May 2006, 16:55
Hmmm, yeah I'm pretty keen on this right now actually. Seen my fave Dainese jacket in my size but the wrong colour, and real cheap. The one I like is red/black, but the one for sale is yellow/black. Would be mint if I could recolour it. Not sure if possible though.

ajturbo
27th May 2006, 19:28
yer babyb has the leather thing all sorted!!!
even told me how to wear my pants the other day:blah: ..lol

fitted my waist and not my legs...
have to get my NEW leathers taken in...

babyB
27th May 2006, 20:41
Toast; well to be honest um if ya want a major color change like that i suggest u go get a professional quote. no offense to ya but IMHO spend the extra few dollars & get the suit ya really want. good leathers well looked after will out-live you.

one of the many tanning processes....The leather is put into a large rotating drum of chemicals which include oils for lubricating and softening, and other chemicals for adding firmness, tear strength and fastness. Dye is also added to stain the leather to a color that is related to the finished colour........therefore eventually your scuff may show yellow through, of course this depends on the underlying pigment. and how well the re-dye was

full dyes ain't that enjoyable. i prefer to fix up the the ones that have been literally down the road. ya could say its a Passion

babyB
27th May 2006, 20:55
Feral1 has contacted me, thank you

sorry no offence intended

feral1
27th May 2006, 21:42
Feral1 has contacted me, thank you

sorry no offence intended

Hi BabyB,

Thanks for the reply - sweet.
Feral1

ajturbo
28th May 2006, 08:41
fitted my waist and not my legs...
have to get my NEW leathers taken in...

on that note... is there anyone in palmy that could do this ???????

ZeroIndex
28th May 2006, 09:07
Hmmm, yeah I'm pretty keen on this right now actually. Seen my fave Dainese jacket in my size but the wrong colour, and real cheap. The one I like is red/black, but the one for sale is yellow/black. Would be mint if I could recolour it. Not sure if possible though.
just get a yellow bike :D P/T

inlinefour
28th May 2006, 09:43
Used to tidy it up with black nuggett and then treat the gear with meted snow seal and paint it on with a small brush. Then it would need to be kept somewhere fairly warm to help the leather absorb the sea. BabyB, be good to get some tips on other methods to look after leathers would be a go? Good thread started IMO, or an extenson of this one.

thehollowmen
28th May 2006, 09:58
use acrylic if you're wanting to paint it, but then again I don't recomend it, It will stain the leather and will need touching up.

Works for a "special occassions" jacket but cracks and rubs off in time. If you look after it, it will last a good few years
All paints come off, unless you dye it properly.

Which then you've got to seal or it will leak dye on you when you sweat, and you can't get the detail you'd get with paint.

I'm not artistic, I have a pet artist who paints leather on occassion for me.

Toast
28th May 2006, 10:16
Toast; well to be honest um if ya want a major color change like that i suggest u go get a professional quote. no offense to ya but IMHO spend the extra few dollars & get the suit ya really want. good leathers well looked after will out-live you.

Hmm, yeah, I hear ya, but the only thing is that the few extra dollars in this case is about US$270...oh well, the yellow ain't so bad :)

babyB
28th May 2006, 10:36
AJ sorry mate, closest & best recomendation i can give you is ;
Jeffery Chandel. Nelson crescent, Carterton. pH 06)379 8927
this is the guy that made my red jacket in the 1990's. there work is absulity premo. mind you hes is internationaly reconized in the leather fashon trade, & knowen as "the NZ leather knig"
any way thats the best i can do

ajturbo
28th May 2006, 14:25
AJ sorry mate, closest & best recomendation i can give you is ;
Jeffery Chandel. Nelson crescent, Carterton. pH 06)379 8927
this is the guy that made my red jacket in the 1990's. there work is absulity premo. mind you hes is internationaly reconized in the leather fashon trade, & knowen as "the NZ leather knig"
any way thats the best i can do

cheers for that matey!!!

hmmmm .. sounds like a ride coming up.....

babyB
28th May 2006, 15:59
IL4 i have a few posts around refuring to leathers, some back in 2003
:laugh:thinks either LeeRusty or CuriousGeorge were gona put them in the washing machine to clean them :eek5: :eyepoke:
have a search round & see wot ya find. but am willing to help out when i can. but mayb i should update things...well see
things some have chaged sinse then & so have the products i use.

thehollowmen
28th May 2006, 19:30
Actually, just noticed something on my leather pants.

If you try not to get acrylic paint on you, it never comes off :-P

crazefox
28th May 2006, 19:44
send me a pm and i can help you out painting it:rockon:

Skunk
28th May 2006, 19:55
A friend of mine paints them with Resene house paint and moisturizer. Not the best idea, but cheap for small bits.

And yeah, it's not durable but that suits her.