PDA

View Full Version : C.A.M's Ruapuna Race write up

Kickaha
27th May 2006, 20:35
I’m loading the Bikes and the weather isn’t looking to good, it’s light rain and overcast, but I figure I’ll go racing no matter what, knowing Dangerous doesn’t like the wet I send him a txt “here pussy pussy pussy”:yes: hoping a healthy dose of peer pressure will shame him into turning up, but lo and behold as I pull up at his place he’s loaded and ready to go

Get to Ruapuna and I hear bikes on the track and I’m thinking shit they said 10am sign in, it turns out to be the 150 boys having a morning training session, sign in completed and a combined pre72/pre82 class grids up for practice, the tracks fairly wet but after a couple of laps I’ve worked my way to the front of the pack I pass James and he tucks in behind me, I do the same in the moderns class and then chase Tony Mac around in the bucket/150 class

Pre72/Pre82 Race 1

34 bikes line up and I’m up the front although not for long as the dragging LC clutch makes a getting a good start a problem and I hit turn one with 10 or so bikes in front of me including some slow guy on a Katana, James trying to make some places up around the outside is out on the grass but holds it together, we hit the fast kink and just as I tip in catch a glimpse of a wheel alongside and know I’m going to get hit, he smacks into the muffler and I run off the track and loose about 25 metres to the front bunch so it’s head down arse up and I set off after them, I get past the slow guy on the Katana and a couple of others to slot into 5th behind James (RD400) into the infield sweeper James takes the two guys in front of him and I knock off one then and go after the other, I get past him then he comes back at the next corner, another lap and I get him and I get right behind James for a lap working out where to make the pass, last lap and coming into the sweeper and James tips in a bit early and I hold it a bit wider for a sec before I turn in and gas it up harder and earlier and carry more speed and run him down before the flag for a 2nd place finish:second:

The slow guy on the Kat also got beaten by a CB250RS, how slows that?:blip:

Modern Race 1

Well compared to some bikes there 1980 is modern so I figure it’s eligible, but my main motivation was TonyB was out on his FZR1000 so I really wanted to try and do him over on the RD350LC, flag drops and I’m left for dead, but after a couple of laps I’m onto the back of TonyB, it takes a few laps and we pass and repass each other for two or three laps in a row but when I hit turn one without him passing me I know I’ve got him beat, fuck knows where I got in that one

Buckets/150

I end up in a hard out battle with James on “Hotdog” after getting past Dangerous and we’re swapping places each lap and end up side by side down the straight with neither of us having a speed advantage but James being a bit braver than me under brakes into turn 1, K14 is all over the back of Dangerous whose MT/MB100 is playing the game and going for a more than a lap at a time, but getting on the gas early K14 has a ripple strip moment when he just about highsides over a damp patch through the dipper and then he runs out of gas :lol:, I follow James onto the straight on the last lap and run him down before the flag with both of us beating a reasonable number of he RG150 crowd as well

Pre72/Pre82 Race 2

I get a better start and although I have a few bikes in front into turn 1 I pass most of them before the fast kink and end up 3rd after the hairpin, with James and a quick Triumph in front of us, I send the next few laps trying to get closer to James and while I gain in some areas I loose in others as he's a bit better under brakes than I am and the gaps stays about the same, pushing hard through turn 7 the front end is chattering and I can just about already taste the hospital food:doctor: and decide that 3rd will do me in that one

I flag going out in modern and give Diesel Pig the FXR for the bucket race and the bastard is riding it faster than I do

Pre72/Pre82

I’m 6th into turn 1 and 3rd by the hairpin with James on his Rd400 and the quick Triumph in front of us, the Triumph pulls off at the sweeper and then it’s only James to get by, I pass him down the straight and he come back up the inside into turn 1, I can see another shadow behind me and I’m guessing it’s Diesel Pig who’s on a enforced go slow today running Black Betty’s (CBX550) new motor in, I nail James earlier down the straight on the next lap and he’s not close enough by turn 1 to get me back, I keep pushing as hard as I can and take out my first race win :first:

Buckets/150

Both Dangerous and James beat me off the line (nothing unusual in that) and a whole heap of 150 riders get between us, I’m swearing at them and yelling “get the fuck out of the way” :mad: as James and Dangerous pull a gap, I stick the FXR under a couple at the hairpin and then make my way past Dangerous and set off after James, we swap places a bit then I make the pass stick and make it first bucket home, stopping to tow some guy riding a MT/MB100 back to the pits after he was dumb enough to run out of gas and making it to 49kmh down the return road with him hanging on

All in

Last race of the day, my memory is starting to fade by this time and my eyes are glazing over and all I can remember is that I beat TonyB on his FZR1000 “again“, and although I could see Diesel Pig not far in front of me there’s no way I can make up the gap, a bloody awesome day despite the weather looking a bit crappy and having a damp track at the start of the day, but by the end being dry and sunny

Roll on Teretonga in two weeks time:woohoo:

dangerous
27th May 2006, 21:14
Yeah, bloody good day considering the weather. 1st time out on the Kat and the track was as wet as, new unscrubbed tyres meant I was shitting bricks in practice and race1.
After a while I was starting to get the hang of the oll kat man its a heavy bitch, but bloody good value all the same.

well what ya know the MT100 ran all day with out a prob... well almost, for some reason the race order changed and as I came in from the pre82 race Rashika had the MT running, so I headed out thinking wonder how the fuel supply is holding out as its been a while since the POS MB has ran non stop... but what ya know, crap not enough.

This was the 1st CAMs meet I have done and I was impresed with the running of it, managed heaps of track time, the flag droper was great giving us the 'rev the shit out a ya bike cos im about to drop the flag' sign. Pitty the bar wasnt open after the meet.

well at the end of the day I'm not going to spend any more time/$ on the Kat so I'll have to learn how to ride it faster and as for the MT... same shit.
congrads to Kick for managing a :first:
And k14, ya new RS is hot :first:

1) Kat
2) K14
3) TonyB
4) Dangerous & K14
5) Dangerous
6) Kickaha

gav
27th May 2006, 22:36
LOL, nice write up boys, as per usual. In case youre wondering the slow Kat that hit Kickaha was a yellow GS650, and yeah think he was in front of some other Kat rider :blip:
Hey D, does that Kat rev above 6000rpm down the straights? Sure doesnt sound like it, sounds very "flat".

Switch
27th May 2006, 22:40
Nice write up guys :yes: i can't wait til i can get out and do stuff like that :doobey:

dangerous
28th May 2006, 08:59
LOL, nice write up boys, as per usual. In case youre wondering the slow Kat that hit Kickaha was a yellow GS650, and yeah think he was in front of some other Kat rider :blip:
Hey D, does that Kat rev above 6000rpm down the straights? Sure doesnt sound like it, sounds very "flat".
revs easy as, straight into the red (clutch slip) and the 650Kat beat me in the 1st race... but that was the last I seen of him.

TonyB
28th May 2006, 09:42
What a bloody awesome day!
As mentioned it started off damp and misty. I MSN'd Dangerous when he finally got out of bed, and Kirk popped up too. We managed to convince him that the weather was clearing.

Got out there and the track was wet. And covered in worms. Like Dangerous I had brand new unscrubbed tyres, so I was very nervous about heading out. Found out the Kickaha had put himself down in moderns just so he could beat me... he picks on old ladys and small children too... Of course fate would have it that I had to take the FZR out BEFORE the bucket:angry: I rode around like a complete nanna and managed to make it back in one piece. Straight back out on the bucket for practice - the bucket and the FZR couldn't be more different and I was riding along on the bucket looking down at the engine trying to figure out what was wrong... looked up and found that I was keeping up "oh... thats it then"

MODERNS race 1
Started from the second or third row. The flag dropped and everybody basically got in the way. Eventually found a few holes and made my way towards the front. The FZR definitely had an unfair power advantage (with the exception of the CBR1000RR), but this was amply balanced by the incompetent rider and massive weight, which kept me slow in the corners. Had a great dice with Kickaha on his LC. The dipper is still a major problem for me- I just can't get it right and I'll never be fast around Ruapuna until I do... or they fill it in. I could be right behind K heading in and miles behind coming out. I then used the FZRs HP to inhale the LC down the straights. Kickaha crossed the line ahead of me, but I was fairly happy with how it went.

BUCKETS 1
Hopped straight off the FZR and onto the bucket. Yikes what a difference! Funnily enough punting a 235kg wet 125+ HP battlecruiser around the track actually helped me with the bucket- it felt like a toy. Despite pushing hard enough to get front end chatter through some of the bends it just got left behind. MrsB reckons my bucket was visibly slower in a straight line throughout the day. Buggered if I know whats going on there. Still had fun though.

MODERNS 2
Got myself on the front row, and knowing I should win the drag race to the first corner, I took it fairly easy off the line. As soon as I hit second I blasted past the RS125 and KTM motard that were infront of me and actually lead the race till the hairpin, when about 4 bikes all whizzed by under braking... oh dear. Continued to make a nuisence of myself, tripping people up in the bends and then blasting off again. Had a fantastic dice with what ended up being Diesel Pig on Nippers CBR400 F3 bike. He won of course... bloody dipper. Fill it in I say!

BUCKETS 2
Same as the first race, pushing fairly hard but getting left behind. Oh well. Still had fun.

BUCKETS 3
Changed the bloody order didn't they! That caused some confusion LOL. Ended up well down the feild again. Had fun tho.

MODERNS 3
Started off the front row again. The guy on the KTM tried REAL hard to stay in front but I was first into turn 1 again. At turn 2 (kink/ Pothole) one of K14's mates on an RS125 rode around the outside of me. Two more got me at the hair pin, but I was getting better. No idea where I came but had a ball!

ALL IN
Bugger me, just done 2 races and now I find out theres an All In. Staggered back out onto the dummy grid. This looked like being fun, with all the crew lined up giving eachother shit. Pitty the warmup lap wasn't the whole race, came second LOL. Started off the front row and was first into turn 1 again, but I think I was taken around the outside. And again at the kink. T'was fair to say I was knackered. Tried to dice with Diesel Pig on Black Betty, but he just pulled too much of a gap around the dipper area, so I couldn't get infront of him and trip him up through the infield to even things up. He pulled away and then Kickaha turned up. We diced for a while until we came up on a dude on a Classic. I tried to go round the outside of him on the infeild right hand sweeper but he ran it wide and I had to damn near stop, swap to the inside and then take off again. K was nearly at the next righthander by the time I was underway again so it was all over.

Had an absolutely WICKED day. I would like to thank CAMS for putting on the best race day I have been to by far. Can't wait to hit the track again and keep exploring the grip available from the Racetechs. I'm sure the bike can safely corner 10 to 20% harder than I'm making it. I'm also going to get a 1 tooth smaller sprocket for the front. Would prefer to go 2 bigger on the rear but that would require a new chain. At the moment I'm not even getting into 5th, just topping out in 4th at 240k before I brake (too early). I'm pretty sure I'm down to 1st briefly for the hairpin, holding second all the way till after the dipper, into 3rd before and during the sweeper, and then upto fourth dwon the straight. Makes for a fairly lazy lap as far as gear changes go:scooter:

cowpoos
28th May 2006, 10:05
good to see you kiddies had a neat day...lollie pops all round!!!...also good to see danger is finally on a bike with the potential to win [ie: a suzuki gsx series bike...lmao]... :nya:

Kickaha
28th May 2006, 10:10
also good to see danger is finally on a bike with the potential to win [ie: a suzuki gsx series bike...lmao]... :nya:

The bike may have potential, the rider? well thats a whole different story :bleh:

Joni
28th May 2006, 12:30
Yeah was a good day! When we woke up and we saw the weather we were almost sure Dangerous would chicken out, so good for you D!

It was good to see Black Betty out there again - Pre 82 just does not seem complete without Diesel Pig and the beast...

Call me biased, but I would say the rider of the day was Kickaha - consistently riding well through out the day. Great stuff! :hug:

However if consistency was the criteria for the "rider of the day" it could also go to Dangerous, for consistently being bad :bleh: Kidding mate.. I reckon the kat will get better better!

ajturbo
28th May 2006, 14:21
sounds like you pussies need me to move down and show ya how to really race......:nya:

Kickaha
28th May 2006, 14:23
sounds like you pussies need me to move down and show ya how to really race......:nya:

Yeah, cause you really showed me the way at Taupo :finger:

gav
28th May 2006, 15:05
Hey K14, heres these photo's so you'll be able to ride the new scoot to work!
As spotted on a Yahoo Japanese Auction, an RS125 ridden on the road!! :gob:

babyB
28th May 2006, 16:11
way cool write ups guys. sounds like yaq had fun good on yas

ajturbo
28th May 2006, 20:24
Yeah, cause you really showed me the way at Taupo :finger:

just imagine the shit you would have got if i hadn't let you pass me....:innocent:

Rashika
30th May 2006, 08:07
Some piccies of the day.
K14 has already posted a few of him on another thread so i will try not to doubleup here.

pic 1: karts racing, cool to see them out there!
Pic 2: first race start, the smoke came from Nippers new bike...
Pic 3: down the straight, Dangerous leading Kickaha... at this point
Pic 4: Diesel Pig, kickaha and Dangerous
Pic 5: Nipper going great guns!
Pic 6: Diesel pig on Black betty

Rashika
30th May 2006, 08:13
Pic 1: Nipper again
Pic 2: Unknown
Pic 3: Unknown BSA
Pic 4: Unknown Guzzi
Pic 5: Nipper on ANOTHER bike
Pic 6: TonyB leading.... a girl

loosebruce
30th May 2006, 09:20
Hahaha looks like a mint day, great write up guys, good to see. Keep it coming :scooter:

diesel pig
30th May 2006, 17:04
Pic 6: TonyB leading.... a girl

Actually it's looks like with her superior line through that corner that shes about to pass TonyB:innocent:

Kickaha
30th May 2006, 17:48
Actually it's looks like with her superior line through that corner that shes about to pass TonyB:innocent:

Well if you could get past him then anyone can :bleh:

Hahaha looks like a mint day, great write up guys, good to see. Keep it coming :scooter:

When are you coming south so we can give you a kicking :yes:

TonyB
30th May 2006, 20:04
Actually I think I'm passing her on the inside. Damn 150's- once I'm past they just go straight by under power. Oh well.

diesel pig
30th May 2006, 22:15
Well if you could get past him then anyone can :bleh:

One day with you finishing in front of me cause I'm running in my motor and you become some kind of riding legend.:yes:

Rashika
31st May 2006, 07:04
One day with you finishing in front of me cause I'm running in my motor and you become some kind of riding legend.:yes:
...only in his own mind DP. :shutup:

diesel pig
31st May 2006, 17:29
...only in his own mind DP. :shutup:

Damn straight Rashika:yes:

Kickaha
31st May 2006, 17:55

running in? you're starting to sound like Dangerous with his excuses :bleh:

Here's hoping for it to piss down at Teretonga:blip:

diesel pig
31st May 2006, 20:15
running in? you're starting to sound like Dangerous with his excuses :bleh:

Here's hoping for it to piss down at Teretonga:blip:

Fucking A! I will put on my wets:finger:

dangerous
31st May 2006, 20:25
fucking B! I will too, gummies, yellow PVC's shower cap over the lid... ohhhh, you mean the other type a wets... screw that I'll run on slicks I'm not sceard of a little wet shit bring it on you county bumpkins :yawn:

disclaimer: should the temp drop below the double didgit then I'll remain in the truck :blip:

stanko
31st May 2006, 20:48
bugger the wets, probably be needing chains down there.

TonyB
1st June 2006, 08:02
Would've liked to go to that myself and do the Flying Quarter the day before. Can't justify the expense though.

Kickaha
1st June 2006, 18:38

Already got mine on :lol:

Would've liked to go to that myself and do the Flying Quarter the day before. Can't justify the expense though.

I can't justify either but I'm going anyway

gav
1st June 2006, 19:52
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel pig
Fucking A! I will put on my wets

Already got mine on :lol:

:gob: Hey, what happened to your tale about how great slicks were in the rain and the time you passed a ZXR400 around the outside at Greymouth and then.......(forget the rest, may've included a CX camshaft and fairing, or was that some other just as riveting tale?:nya: )

Kickaha
1st June 2006, 22:18
:gob: Hey, what happened to your tale about how great slicks were in the rain and the time you passed a ZXR400 around the outside at Greymouth and then.......(forget the rest, may've included a CX camshaft and fairing, or was that some other just as riveting tale?:nya: )

That was on the bucket at Levels, ask Spudracer about it, and then ask Spudracer what happened to him leading me and DP at B track in the rain :lol:

The LC will be on slicks as soon as I can do it

TonyB
2nd June 2006, 06:15
I reckon you'll need wets for it- much more power and weight than a bucket.

I've been wondering- is there really any point in using slicks? Slicks need to be warm/ hot to really work. Our races are only 6 laps long- do the slicks even get to their ideal operating temp by the end of the race?

Buddha#81
2nd June 2006, 12:58
That was on the bucket at Levels, ask Spudracer about it, and then ask Spudracer what happened to him leading me and DP at B track in the rain :lol:

The Ching Chin is a better tyre in the wet, its the rider thats the limiting factor. I didn't want to show you and DP up in my first season of racing, binning it seemed the right thing to do. A slick is OK untill you have standing water ,snow or black ice. In damp conditions a bucket on slicks will beat a muppet on road tyes any day.

gav
2nd June 2006, 18:27

You interested in some 17" FZR250 rims then? :blip:

I've been wondering- is there really any point in using slicks? Slicks need to be warm/ hot to really work. Our races are only 6 laps long- do the slicks even get to their ideal operating temp by the end of the race?
You thinking tyre warmers? Good idea....:yes:

Kickaha
2nd June 2006, 19:07
A slick is OK untill you have standing water ,snow or black ice. .

We're likely to get all three at Teretonga :yes:

diesel pig
2nd June 2006, 21:46

even cold slicks are way better than cold road tires and by the second lap they are as warm as they need to be. Part of the reason the top blokes use tire warmers is so they can get the best out of there slicks right off the start of the race.

TonyB
2nd June 2006, 21:50
Fair enough

Buddha#81
2nd June 2006, 22:20
Fair enough

Don't give up so easily, pussy!!!!!! DP is an over serious poofta, a real man would run road tyres on a classic bike, not 2006 tyre technology on a old shitter that carn't even keep up with a early 80's piece of shit RD350 with a gobby wanker rider. You all wait till Dangerous turns up the wick on the Kat, which by now will have its bright pink paint job, he will give us all "the learn".

gav
2nd June 2006, 23:47
You all wait till Dangerous turns up the wick on the Kat, which by now will have its bright pink paint job,
Is he away this weekend?? :innocent: What a great idea!! :yes: :blip:

Joni
3rd June 2006, 08:50
Is he away this weekend?? :innocent: What a great idea!! :yes: :blip:Yeah...and we know where the keys are... :doobey:

TonyB
3rd June 2006, 09:05
I thought he was taking the Kat?
Oh well- I guess we could paint the Guzzi pink instead. It'd go well with those rocker covers.

diesel pig
3rd June 2006, 16:29
I thought he was taking the Kat?
Oh well- I guess we could paint the Guzzi pink instead. It'd go well with those rocker covers.

Well if you really want to see a grown man you cry could.:blip:

Kickaha
3rd June 2006, 18:11
Well if you really want to see a grown man you cry could.:blip:

A grown man? hang on I thought we were talking about Dangerous :bleh:

Kickaha
3rd June 2006, 18:13
that carn't even keep up with a early 80's piece of shit RD350 with a gobby wanker rider.

The only gobby wanker out there is some cock on a CB250RS at the back of the field :finger: although according to the points he's beating me in SI cup Pre82, fuck he must be fast cause I didn't see him pass me :bleh:

Buddha#81
3rd June 2006, 22:24
The only gobby wanker out there is some cock on a CB250RS at the back of the field :finger: although according to the points he's beating me in SI cup Pre82, fuck he must be fast cause I didn't see him pass me :bleh:

Maybe they gave me extra points for the power to weight disadvantage?:blip:

stanko
3rd June 2006, 23:01

So is this a bit like the special olympics ?

Must work on my disabilities, like crap at riding 20 points , dnf 12 pts, raining 8 points, stayed in bed 10 pts. Finaly Ive got a chance at the big points

dangerous
4th June 2006, 17:00
Ya all a sad, mean, pack a c@#ts... but a funny sad, mean pack a c@#ts... and whats this shit about pink? *moves onto next thread*

Buddha#81
4th June 2006, 22:01
Ya all a sad, mean, pack a c@#ts... but a funny sad, mean pack a c@#ts... and whats this shit about pink? *moves onto next thread*

I should have said purple, the universal gay colour:yes:

gav
4th June 2006, 22:13
Fuck me, must check the rule book a bit close. :yes:
OK, so on the trophy its G...A...V...:first:

k14
5th June 2006, 10:45
I should have said purple, the universal gay colour:yes:
like the tail section on your bike?

Buddha#81
5th June 2006, 15:42
like the tail section on your bike?

Have you just worked it out. I suppose you have seen alot of the arse end of my bucket.:nya:

k14
5th June 2006, 15:57
Have you just worked it out. I suppose you have seen alot of the arse end of my bucket.:nya:
Yeah when I lap you :nya: