PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing plastic

Brian d marge
28th May 2006, 01:56
Now as you all may know I have a CR errr Fetish ...anyway this nafarious activity has left me with a lot of plastic.....

Now this plastic,, rad panels , fenders etc ,,is scratch free BUT has been been well and truely seen to by the sun ... faded , etc and the filler in the plastic ( or what ever plastic is ) has come out ,,, ie you can scrape it off and get a nice surface underneath but with a funky color ,,,,

Does anyone know a way of dyeing it ... Not painting but actually putting a unifor color back into the plastic

Seems a shame to throw it a way ,,,!!! and I have a lot of it

Stephen

GB-Canada
28th May 2006, 02:11
Here in Canada there is a product called Marhyde. It is used to dye automotive interiors (dash & door pannels) .It is sprayed like paint but it is as thin as water(viscosity).You get it where you buy automotive paints.....give it a try

crazyxr250rider
28th May 2006, 02:20
Plastics renewer is good

sAsLEX
28th May 2006, 08:54
crc or the like gives it a nice colour for around a day or so!

ZeroIndex
28th May 2006, 09:08
you could always chuck on plastic primer, paint it the desired color, and then ALWAYS REMEMBER, about 3-4 coats of clear-cote

crazyxr250rider
28th May 2006, 09:32
Its for a mx bike so when the plastic flexes the paint will stretch giving it a lovely wrinkled old lady look.
Painting plastics is pointless

ZeroIndex
28th May 2006, 09:33
Its for a mx bike so when the plastic flexes the pait will stretch giving it a lovely wrinkled old lady look.
Painting plastics is pointless
ahhhh.... ok..

Brian d marge
28th May 2006, 12:43
up been there tried that, Paint can be done , in fact the fork shrouds on my 250 are painted , as was the old fender and its lasted ok , but Rad shouds flex a bit ...

I would ideally like to replace the color of the plastic ..in a perfect world chuck it in a big pot add dye and bingo perfectly new looking plastic!!

but I dont know anything about the stuff.. That vynal spray looks interesting but its vynal spray ...not sure what this plastic is

happy days

Stephen

I have bought new plastic , it just seems a shame to throw this stuff out when all that has happened is it has faded

R1madness
28th May 2006, 15:33
Try heating it with a hot air piant stripper. It softens the plastic and lets it reobsorbe the waxes that leach out of the plastic (the major cause of fade or discolour). Keep the stripper gun moving and watch closely for the colour to begin to change. Its only a few seconds from colour change to melted and bubbled plastic. The girlfriends hair drier works just as well but it takes longer. Less chance of melting stuff tho.
Regards
Ian

crazyxr250rider
29th May 2006, 08:06
Hey B.D. how about some pictures of your 125 Pretty sure you said you have one.

Brian d marge
29th May 2006, 16:44
here you go .... not much to look at, at the moment ....will be finished this week ...

Stephen

and that the resident mechanic ...with the allen key in the mainshaft

grantman
1st June 2006, 20:55
your Cr must be about the 92 model
this colour was named Nuclear Red

(my brother had one and would get very angry when I called it pink!)

I cleaned up the plastics on my XR250 by using a Jiff type cleaning and buffing up the plastics......looks like new

you could try a buffing compound
But it sounds like you have new plastics

cheers
Grantman

crazyxr250rider
18th June 2006, 09:29
here you go .... not much to look at, at the moment ....will be finished this week ...

Stephen

and that the resident mechanic ...with the allen key in the mainshaft
Nice clean frame how long did that take? My frame could do with a "Touch up"
around the engine rails you get the odd chip here and there where I ride......

Brian d marge
18th June 2006, 12:51
Well USUALLY I leave the factory paint on then Just paint over, as the factory paint is a good base .

This time I used a wire brush ...( Not just any wire brush , I have this Dremel thats been smoking P ...The health and safety would have kittens if they saw it ,,,but it can strip a frame to bare metal in 1 hour ..it usally take 2 hours , cos if I use the big wire brush it over heats ,,needs water cooling !!!)

Then I Just spray it up using celulose ..

I ususally do it Once or twice a year, touching up frame rails when motor is out

here is a photo of a 125 ( 91) I have , same thing with this one , back to bare metal

Stephen

cheese
18th June 2006, 16:11
What about powder coating? worth it? I was going to strip my bike, get it dunked then powder coated.

Brian d marge
20th June 2006, 22:59
Time and expense , it costs me a couple of dollars to paint the bike and takes a few hours , I can have the whole bike done in the time it takes to come back from the enamellers.

BTW First impressions of NZ ...the road are WAYYY big and 50 km is STUPID ,,,but also 100km is IMHO a touch to fast ,,,I prefered 80 -90 km/h ...and the Women ....

BIG thumbs up to Scot at MD Motorcycles in pukekoe (sp) ..AT the mo the frame is done the suspension is reshimmed with new springs , front and rear Rocker bearings tomorrow and test on thursday ...

Just deciding what events to take part in

Oh ...and this tui beeer ...Hmmmmmmmm

Stephen

FRIGGEN BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY though , you lot DDont know how lucky you are ( said Mr Dagg )

The weather has been perfect for me ...couldnt ask for more

Stephen

oh and Lamb pies ....yum

jazbug5
20th June 2006, 23:22
I thought you were a Kiwi living overseas..?

cheese
21st June 2006, 08:56
get your ass out to woodhill on saturday.

Brian d marge
27th June 2006, 17:35
Sorry couldnt get out to Woodhill , due to 0.000003 mm of snow they closed the road to taupo, I did get to the Taupo trail ride on Sunday ..Ill write something later ..borrowed internet con and is 56k ..( I hate it , its doing me head in ...)

Yeas I am a Kiwi living overseas ,,,but Ive been over seas for 6 years now and a lot has changed .. ( its expensive ,,100 dollars in gas ..OUCH ...well I ride a 2 stroke and there WAS a lot of MUD )

BTW ...you farmers are a FRIGGEN FAST BUNCH.... these sheep over here must be jet propelled , I had cockys going past me left right and center ...

I had two fellas bail out in front , I binned it a few times ...) I should have won an oscar for the last one .. arms legs , no grace at all ...)

Anyway the bike is shipped to CHCH , napier to CHCH 183 dollars , via main frieght . cheap as.

All in all I had a ball , ,, Ill think of a whole bunch of poof type excuses and post later ...such as My suspension was to hard , and I had the wrong tyre etc ...

in the mean time ... If you see any of those farmer types ..let there tyres down so Ill have a chance on Sunday !!

Stephen

( Ill print a few co;or copies of a Corridale ,,,, and drop them on the start line ..that should give me a few min head start !)