PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wana ride? wellington 5th,6th,7th,8th June

knight rider
28th May 2006, 23:30
I have 3 days off work beginning of june 6th 7th & 8th (tues-thurs) I wana go for a long ride somewhere. Was thinking piecook hill road out this way near Porirua. I haven't riden it yet but on the map it looks good. Anyone riden this yet? hows the ride? I'm on a cbr250rr so am not a fast rider but I can keep up with most riders

James Deuce
29th May 2006, 07:09
That's not a long trip! That's a half hour dawdle from Porirua.

skelstar
29th May 2006, 08:39
Paekakariki Hill road is quite tight and twisty. LIkely to be damp, speed limited to 80km/h and have cagers crossing the centreline. Take it easy on that road eh.

Oh yeah...short trip, like Jim2 said.

knight rider
29th May 2006, 12:30
I also like the ride over the takas to martinborough & back so if someone wants to go there I'm keen. There hasn't been any newbie rides lately that I've seen so I wana go for a long ride if someone don't mind my tagging along

madboy
29th May 2006, 12:46
Both Paekak and Takas have corners that are downright scary at this time of year, due to dampness, moss, etc. Paekak will literally take a few minutes and the fun will be over before you know it. And don't forget what Skels has said - people cutting corners. That road in particular is known for it.

I can't join ya, but recommend Takas on a day when it's dry and not too windy. Not that you can't ride it in other weathers, but don't want ya to have a bad experience put you off.

Also I take it you've been around long enough to realise what diesel looks like on the road? Takas is good for it in the wet.

knight rider
30th May 2006, 00:52
Both Paekak and Takas have corners that are downright scary at this time of year, due to dampness, moss, etc. Paekak will literally take a few minutes and the fun will be over before you know it. And don't forget what Skels has said - people cutting corners. That road in particular is known for it.

I can't join ya, but recommend Takas on a day when it's dry and not too windy. Not that you can't ride it in other weathers, but don't want ya to have a bad experience put you off.

Also I take it you've been around long enough to realise what diesel looks like on the road? Takas is good for it in the wet.

is diesel kinda like a rainbow colour in the middle of the road? only been riding 5 months so am still learning these things so any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

Str8 Jacket
30th May 2006, 07:06
is diesel kinda like a rainbow colour in the middle of the road? only been riding 5 months so am still learning these things so any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

Yep, except it can be anywhere on the road. Usually right where you'd have the bike cranked over while going around the corner... But yes, look out for these patches everywhere...

sugilite
30th May 2006, 08:56
And why your at it, use your nose, it's amazing how many hazzards you can smell, diesel, grass cutting tractor, cow poos (he really should invest in a shower) and such.

NC
30th May 2006, 09:00
Castel point would be a good ride for you :)

Hawkeye
30th May 2006, 21:23
I have 4 days off work beginning of june 5th 6th 7th & 8th (mon-thurs) I wana go for a long ride somewhere. Was thinking piecook hill road out this way near Porirua. I haven't riden it yet but on the map it looks good. Anyone riden this yet? hows the ride? I'm on a cbr250rr so am not a fast rider but I can keep up with most riders

Hi Knight,

I may be up for a ride on the Monday (back to work Tuesday). I've got a mate who has just got himself a 250 bandit. He is also looking to get out. I'll know nearer the time and want keep an eye on the weather. Neither hill is good in the wet. Haven't tackled P'kak on the bike yet. Not comfortable on that road even in the cage due to the number of cages that cross the centre line. Been almost taken out a few times along there.
I'll PM you nearer the time once I know what I'm doing.

Madness
30th May 2006, 21:32
Paekakariki Hill road is quite tight and twisty. LIkely to be damp, speed limited to 80km/h and have cagers crossing the centreline.

That road has a centreline??? Hard to imagine that once it was the main route in and out of Wellington, back in the Bullock days, but still.... I've gone right off the Paekakariki Hill, just plain aint much fun anymore.

poorbastard
30th May 2006, 23:10
I may be in for a ride or two. Uni study leave and all.

Sparky Bills
30th May 2006, 23:15
Piekok hill is a great road!
It will only hurt you if you let it.

knight rider
31st May 2006, 00:49
Hi Knight,

I may be up for a ride on the Monday (back to work Tuesday). I've got a mate who has just got himself a 250 bandit. He is also looking to get out. I'll know nearer the time and want keep an eye on the weather. Neither hill is good in the wet. Haven't tackled P'kak on the bike yet. Not comfortable on that road even in the cage due to the number of cages that cross the centre line. Been almost taken out a few times along there.

Thanks swift sounds good

knight rider
31st May 2006, 00:49
Castel point would be a good ride for you :)

Hi NC where is castle point?

knight rider
31st May 2006, 00:51
I may be in for a ride or two. Uni study leave and all.

cool sounds good. everyones welcome

knight rider
1st June 2006, 01:01
Hi Knight,

sorry dude can't do Monday something has come up that will require my time on monday

sels1
1st June 2006, 13:37
I've gone right off the Paekakariki Hill, just plain aint much fun anymore.

Pshhh - its a most entertaining bit of road - with lots of little things to keep you awake :)

Pickle
1st June 2006, 13:57
I am off work all next week as well & weather permitting and all other jobs around the house done(packing the house ready for big move) will be in for a ride, prefer something that will take a bit longer than piecock hill tho. If you are keen pm me. there will be myself & the wife so would like to take both 636's:scooter: Castle point is a nice day ride if you add in a few back roads

Sketchy_Racer
1st June 2006, 16:13
Piekok hill is a great road!
It will only hurt you if you let it.

What that man said.

Just leave yourself plenty of room. Seriously

knight rider
2nd June 2006, 00:52
I am off work all next week as well & weather permitting and all other jobs around the house done(packing the house ready for big move) will be in for a ride, prefer something that will take a bit longer than piecock hill tho. If you are keen pm me. there will be myself & the wife so would like to take both 636's:scooter: Castle point is a nice day ride if you add in a few back roads

yep sounds like a great idea. I have no idea where to go so will just follow you 2 hopefully I can keep up with yous. what about Tuesday?

madboy
2nd June 2006, 14:04
So did you figure out where castlepoint is? Cos if you didn't it's up to Masterton and turn right. There's the fun way to get there, and there's also the really long, straight, boring and ticketable way to get there.

Str8 Jacket
2nd June 2006, 14:21
there's also the really long, straight, boring and ticketable way to get there.

Ah but its not that boring when your bike weighs 100kilos and there's high winds...

poorbastard
2nd June 2006, 22:37

Mite join in for a ride if you don't mind me taging along?

Madness
2nd June 2006, 22:46
Ah but its not that boring when your bike weighs 100kilos and there's high winds...

Just like how the Paekak Hill gets boring when yer bike weighs 233kg dry. Wind or no wind, it's like threading a needle with anchor rope.

knight rider
3rd June 2006, 00:39
so what day would suit people? I prefer Tuesday but also have Wednesday & Thursday off aswell also a meeting place as I'm in Porirua so if anyone out this ways wants to ride in together to meet up with the rest of the group that would be good

poorbastard
3rd June 2006, 00:48
Tuesday sounds good dont have work that nite but can work around other days as well.

knight rider
3rd June 2006, 11:21
where do people wana meet & when? & where lol

blacksheep
4th June 2006, 22:17
aye your right about that and watch out on roundabouts especially after a long period of dry weather,it brings all of that sort of crap to the surface

knight rider
5th June 2006, 12:49
I'm going up pie cook hill at 2pm so if anyone wants to jon in I'll be at mobil paramata at 2pm leaving at 2:10pm. If someone wants to go for a ride somewhere else after that then I'm keen. didn't need to work today after all wooho

James Deuce
5th June 2006, 12:59
Ice and slush on the takas, and they are expecting snow this afternoon, so you may not want to go that way. The Paekak hill will be dodgy too. Bits of it will have ice.

knight rider
5th June 2006, 13:04
Ice and slush on the takas, and they are expecting snow this afternoon, so you may not want to go that way. The Paekak hill will be dodgy too. Bits of it will have ice.

ohhh but it's such a nice day. i'm gonna go pie cook at 2pm but will just take it easy on the road

Hawkeye
5th June 2006, 13:09
I'm going up pie cook hill at 2pm so if anyone wants to jon in I'll be at mobil paramata at 2pm leaving at 2:10pm. If someone wants to go for a ride somewhere else after that then I'm keen. didn't need to work today after all wooho

Bugger,
Just promised her indoors that I'd clear the garden. Don't think I can get out of it now. Enjoy the ride.

knight rider
5th June 2006, 13:10
Bugger,
Just promised her indoors that I'd clear the garden. Don't think I can get out of it now. Enjoy the ride.

won't be a llong ride just do the gardens when you come back home

knight rider
5th June 2006, 13:13
so does anyone wana head over the takas tomorrow?

hopefully there will be no ice or snow tomorrow.

if your keen let me know as I don't wana make a trip to kaiwharawhara for nothing. Thanks

James Deuce
5th June 2006, 13:15
Tomorrow's going to be fine.

James Deuce
5th June 2006, 13:25
ohhh but it's such a nice day. i'm gonna go pie cook at 2pm but will just take it easy on the road

Ever hit a patch of ice on a bike? I'd seriously reconsider.

knight rider
5th June 2006, 13:32
nah I havent yet

Pickle
5th June 2006, 14:46
Just got back from Hawkes Bay for the weekend, sorry cant go for a ride tomorrow as have to see real estate people at 1pm, also have to go to see brother in hospital so might have to be Weds or Thurs. PM me if still interested

knight rider
5th June 2006, 19:44
OK the plans tomorrow are to go over the rimutakas & around lake ferry so if you have time meet at the truck stop kaiwharawhara (Caltex) at 11am me & poor basted are going on our 250s so everyones welcome along

knight rider
6th June 2006, 15:25
no more rides planned for the rest of the week as I have a sore bum & sore legs. Had an awesome 2 days of riding with Poor Basted & his mate that came along. There were no crashes & we had alot of fun

Str8 Jacket
6th June 2006, 15:28
arrgh im so jealous! I didnt get a ride in all weekend as I was hung over all day on the only good riding day! Glad you's fulla's had fun, wish I couldve made it, beauty day out there today!!

knight rider
6th June 2006, 15:35
yep it is a beutiful day & we sure made the most of it. Maybe next time

poorbastard
6th June 2006, 15:37
Argh you soft bastard Knight Rider im probably going to go for another cruize over the hill on thurs around the same time. Got to be back for work in the afternoon.

knight rider
6th June 2006, 15:42
Argh you soft bastard Knight Rider im probably going to go for another cruize over the hill on thurs around the same time. Got to be back for work in the afternoon.

I might be able to join you on Thursday will let you know on Wednesday night

poorbastard
6th June 2006, 15:47
I might be able to join you on Thursday will let you know on Wednesday night

Sounds good. Let me know then. Will prob leave a little earlier tho, around 10 ish from wellys.

Includes anyone else that wants to go for a ride if they can get out of work.

knight rider
7th June 2006, 18:33
Sounds good. Let me know then. Will prob leave a little earlier tho, around 10 ish from wellys.

Includes anyone else that wants to go for a ride if they can get out of work.

sorry Poor Basted won't be able to join you tomorrow