PDA

View Full Version : Korea Ride Report May 06

Korea
29th May 2006, 03:23
May nearly over and another month crossed off the calendar as the countdown to NZ continues. This month has been a mixed-bag of new places, favourite old haunts, and practicing with the usual suspects.

Seems as though summer has officially started and the weather is steadily getting hotter. Last weekend had a high of about 30 degrees and mid-summer will probably average around 35 degrees. Which would explain why the CBR spent most of it’s time with the rad fan going when pottering through the city. Stop-go-stop-go with traffic lights every 50 metres, Grrr…

In the east part of Daegu, just a short ride from the stadium, I discovered the city’s ancient east gate at the ‘Mang-Woo’ Gardens. This was one of the original entrances that used to guard the city in ancient times. Now it has been restored and looks very impressive illuminated at night – all it really needs is a bike parked under the soft lights to complete the scene; past and present. Obligatory photos were taken, of course.

Following weekend, joined a group of riders from Daegu city for a tour east, past the dam and into the middle of nowhere to a little temple nestled in between the mountains called ‘Unmun-sa’. The temple goes back at least as far as 937AD when it got it's current name by the King of the Koryo dynasty. It is frequented by dozens of shaven lady-monks (er… I can confirm that their heads were definitely shaven). More photos taken next to stone turtles, temple gates, and guys in full riding gear in a monastery…?

Took the Hyosung Exiv 125cc meagre-beast for a carpark practice session, but possibly thanks to a torrential downpour the week before, carbies seemed to be stuttering really badly. Dropped said Exiv at my local bike shop for a carb cleaning and new sparkplug. Total cost of parts and labour = about $20. Gotta love that. Situation is reversed for the CBR though, looked into the price of tyres and a set of Michelin Pilot Powers would run nearly $800NZ! Ripoff?

At the practice session, someone brought along roller-blader’s road cones and a makeshift short track was plotted out in the carpark. 10-lap time trials were (stupidly) proposed and we set down to going round and round as fast as the Exiv would allow. My first attempt took 75 seconds, and during my second attempt I tried to go faster, rode rougher and had the back and front pushing and sliding all over the place. Result: 78 seconds – proof enough for me that smooth is faster.
Of course it must be noted that blasting around at silly speeds in a carpark is asking for trouble and soon enough someone low-sided my Exiv, breaking the handlebar, clutch lever, and left footpeg in the process. Yeah, cheers – that’s gonna cost me about another $10 right there. :blah:

Went to Palgongsan just north of Daegu city where a giant statue of Buddha can be seen on top of the mountain. The road leading up to it is steep and twisty, great fun going up. However, the road surface going down is 'striped' with alternating textured road surfaces all the way - every 2 metres or so. I guess it's supposed to slow drivers down but it's more like going over a million judder bars and really ruins the fun.

Finally went out for a blast to Unmun dam again Sunday and once again there were multitudes of crazy riders from all over the country. Guys doing wheel-stands into oncoming traffic, another doing stand-up wheelies on his race-base CBR600, and one super-smooth 1000RR rider getting impossible angles of lean on 'The Corner'. It's getting pretty silly out there and it won't be long before it ends in tragedy. Let's not ride like the Koreans...

Stay safe.

sAsLEX
29th May 2006, 06:42
Nice first pic, nearly puts old BD to shame :gob:

bobsmith
29th May 2006, 08:19
Total cost of parts and labour = about $20. Gotta love that. Situation is reversed for the CBR though, looked into the price of tyres and a set of Michelin Pilot Powers would run nearly $800NZ! Ripoff?

that’s gonna cost me about another $10 right there. :blah:

Gotta love the prices of Korean vehicle parts in korea, oh and the labour prices too. Hehe, anything imported can carry a huge price tag there though. How long have you been over there? Do you speak much Korean?

Flyingpony
29th May 2006, 08:38
Why you going to NZ?
Seems like you are having a party in Korea.

Korea
29th May 2006, 13:26
First pic was probably just lucky - I'm just using a poxy casio digital snappy cam.

Gotta love the prices of Korean vehicle parts in korea, oh and the labour prices too. Hehe, anything imported can carry a huge price tag there though. How long have you been over there? Do you speak much Korean?
Oh yeah! An oil change at my local only costs the price of the oil (1 litre for the exiv), about $7NZ. The guy drops whatever he's doing when I walk in and checks the bike all over; chain, tyre pressure, brakes all get a look at.
I've been studying Korean off and on since I arrived about 3 years ago. I guess my ability is 'conversational' with a lot of grammar mistakes.

My fiancee is Korean but her English is fluent - so we don't really speak Korean with each other. Plans are to give life in NZ a shot at the end of the year and if it all goes pear-shaped, I can always come back to Korea with my tail between my legs.

Random
29th May 2006, 13:29
nice one dude, would like to come over there sometime, whats it like getting work ?

Ricky

Korea
29th May 2006, 13:45
:gob: Lots of riders out at Unmun...
Sorry for the poor quality - one day I'll take the video camera...
Check the sound of the Hyosung 650 (red) Bwwahhhh...
...and then the lean angle on the RVF?400.
:rockon:

Korea
29th May 2006, 13:55
nice one dude, would like to come over there sometime, whats it like getting work ?
Ricky
There are a lot of foreigners/Ex-pats in Korea and the majority (of the westerners) are English teachers (surprise surprise).
I have met a couple of engineers and guys with other jobs but they're generally with some big company. There may be more opportunities in the capital, Seoul.
Anyway, coming over and teaching for a year is a doddle. The exchange rate is seriously in the Won's favor right now: 600 won = $1NZ.
However, you will need a university degree (in anything) for the working visa.

Flyingpony
29th May 2006, 17:18
There are a lot of foreigners/Ex-pats in Korea and the majority (of the westerners) are English teachers (surprise surprise).
However, you will need a university degree (in anything) for the working visa.
Not sure about Korea requirements, but many other countries also require a perfectly clean criminal record.

SPman
29th May 2006, 17:32
Not sure about Korea requirements, but many other countries also require a perfectly clean criminal record.
As opposed to a perfect criminal record????

Korea
3rd June 2006, 13:47
a couple more UnMun Dam pix from last Wednesday~ voting day, public holiday or something.
31 degrees and blue sky. A few bikes out... another crazy RVF400...
All fun'n'games...

bobsmith
3rd June 2006, 22:29
That's pretty cool... I went a bit otherway with Korean... Living with a kiwi girlfriend and not talking to relatives much (I speak to my sister in english since we're both more comfortable with it), I've gotten very rusty with my Korean, doesn't help that I spent my teenage years here as well.

Oh well at least I can count on going to a bike shop and getting ignored and being overcharged for everything here...

Sketchy_Racer
10th June 2006, 19:42
Wow thats a pretty busy corner for the bikes aint it!!