PDA

View Full Version : Big Dog.

Motu
29th May 2006, 22:57
I rang a customer today to tell him his car was ready to pick up,and he said - ''Why don't you deliver it up to my place and I'll show you my Big Dog,I just got it a few days ago''

So I checked out the $65,000 Big Dog....I forget what model it is,but on the website looks like the Mastif,long and raked out.Huge 1900cc S&S motor,6 speed right drive gearbox,monster 240 rear tyre.A hand built custom the finish is excellent and quality detail is everywhere,the bike is so simple everything stands out.I find the frilligie a bit messy on such a clean looking bike,but they carry the theme througout the bike - billet cut mags,with the same design on mugguard stays etc.A super impressive bike,kinda daunting to see such a thing in some guys garage and not at a bike show.They sell them in Te Rapa next to some tyre shop.

Not really what I'd spend that sort of money on,but he's got a Fat Boy for a more relaxed ride.He hasn't done 500km yet - can't exceed 2000rpm!!!!:gob:

ezinnz
30th May 2006, 07:34
They're a nice bike but I can't help thinking what a guy could build himself for that kind of money when I see bikes like that for sale. That's a lot of scratch and would go a LOT further if you put something together yourself.

Hell, you could build 2 very impressive bikes for that.

Motu
30th May 2006, 07:52
But could you do as good a job yourself? It'd cost more than that for the CNC lathe to do the wheels....or would you bolt one together from parts other people made?

sels1
30th May 2006, 08:13
$65K for one bike? to me that would be $30K for a Triumph Rocket(or HD if you're that way inclined), +$20K for a Daytona, Sprint, or litre jap sports bike, and +$15K for dirt/adventure bikes. And thats new prices - I could fill a garage with bike toys for that sort of $ :)

Colapop
30th May 2006, 08:14
If you've got that sort of dosh, wouldn't you spend your money on getting the skills so you could build whatever you like? Nah probably if you've got that sort of money to throw around - you just buy whatever you feel like.

ezinnz
30th May 2006, 08:17
Personally, I think I could build a bike just as nice - finish and detail etc.

I meant sourcing my own parts like wheels, motor, gearbox etc and then fabricating others as I went.

The thing with all of these bikes is, they're still production bikes. Albeit on a smaller scale than the big factories but for that type of investment, I'd be wanting to ride something that no-one else has.

Different colours and wheel options etc wouldn't be enough of a contrast to make it different from the next one at the shop (for me) but everyone's different I guess.

Colapop
30th May 2006, 08:21
Just about all of them (TV show bikes that ya see) are made from bolt on bits. Am Chop went from doing most of the fabrication to bolt on bits as the series progressed and that was after they got a CNC machine etc. Building a bike to me seems to be a bout creating something individual not using someone else's ideas.

ezinnz
30th May 2006, 08:31
Agreed. I don't have the skills or equipment to build key parts of a bike like a motor, a front end or even a mag wheel but you can put a LOT of your own custom individuality into sheetmetal, the seat, bars and of course paint.

When it comes to parts you do buy, there is so much available that you could pretty much guarantee to put a frame, mill and front end combination together that no-one else has.

Like sels1 mentioned, you could have a lot of different toys by spreading the $$ and doing the time & effort yourself. At least give it a shot IMO.

Switch
30th May 2006, 11:28
Possibly he has always dreamed of owning one. Usually if you want something bad enough you ignore common sence :yes:

Motu
30th May 2006, 12:33
He has his Fat Boy and had a Buel a few years ago - I guess he likes a more relaxed riding style.He's also an engineer and the engineering and build quality he can see would influence his desire to own one as well.

vs04
30th May 2006, 16:00
Good on him,if he,s got the dosh why not,you might as well enjoy it while you can because you,re a long time looking at the lid.

Macktheknife
30th May 2006, 16:08
If you have the cash and not the time, why not just buy it. I would if I could, but then again, if I had that much extra cash I would be looking at a heap of things.
Still sounds like a nice thing tho

Bonez
30th May 2006, 17:53
Begs the question-IS IT ACTUALLY RIDEN?

Waylander
30th May 2006, 17:55
HD Cycles. On Te Rapa straight, in hamilton about Halfway between the Honda, Harley, Ducati shops and the Yamaha shop.

Impressive bikes but I still wouldn't buy one. More fun making it myself.

Motu
30th May 2006, 21:52
Begs the question-IS IT ACTUALLY RIDEN?

Yes.......