PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Prices

SPman
8th April 2003, 19:43
Lets face it. most helmets, in NZ, are an outrageous price!

Whilst talking to a shop owner in AK last weekend, he said that the importers are up for a 40% tax on the landed cost of the helmet, before the usual GST, margins etc go on.!!! He was adamant that a helmet that sells for $1000 - $1100 should be selling for around $7-750, without the tax!! This dates back to the "protect NZ industry" law,which taxed all helmets not made in NZ and has not been recinded in this "open economic climate"

Does anybody know for sure, if this is indeed the case? (I'm too lazy to actually do my own research, although, on this one, I think, a bit of effort could be in order)

The ACC (god bless em),are keen to put up our costs because of the perceived danger of motorcycling- surely, cheaper, quality helmets, would be a major safety benefit to all road users.

Quite frankly, if this is the case, it stinks!

MikeL
8th April 2003, 21:38
I was under the impression that N.Z. had over the last decade or so progressively dismantled almost the whole protectionist import duty/sales tax structure that used to penalize us so heavily. If it is true that helmets still get hit with 40% import duty, that must surely be an anomaly that has been simply overlooked because of the relatively small market.
I would have to say, cynically, that the authorities are probably in no hurry to rescind the duty and bring us cheaper helmets because it's not really going to have a major effect on ACC payouts - helmets are compulsory and I think even the basic $200 types provide sufficient protection so that the economic benefit of reducing the cost of more expensive models is marginal. Now if they were to subsidize leather gear and body armour...
BTW anybody browse U.S. bike forums and read about all the squids riding around in T-shirts, shorts, jandals and of course no helmet because it's unconstitutional to force people to protect themselves?:brick:

Kiwi
8th April 2003, 22:25
40%???? Is not true, the Customs Charges - Imported Goods is for helmets 17%

see ya

Kiwi

Coldkiwi
9th April 2003, 12:32
is this part of the reason buying online gear and getting it shipped is potentially a bit cheaper?

bikerboy
9th April 2003, 17:55
Buying over the net is generally cheaper as the stores are doing greater volumes and happy to make lower volumes, also any local taxes are deducted to out bound goods,

There is a fair amount of duty to protect the local leather industry. However the customs people often can't be bothered to collect it unless it is around $100.00. the rules are bizzare: a fuul leather suit gets no duty, but just a jacket or pants alone do.

Just for everyone's info, It isn't the constitution that makes helmets etc not compulsory but the right of each state to decide what laws they want or don't want. States without Helmet laws generally have a population (majority) that feels personal safety is up to the individual not the state. Therefore it is difficult to get laws passed. Also there is a very large and vocal contingent in the US that believes helmets actually cause more harm. There are lots of sites on the net, interesting arguments.:done:

NhuanH
9th April 2003, 20:24
KBers,

There are 2 tariff exemptions that help us NZ riders with regards to buying gear from overseas:

Code 987531L is for something like "leather safety clothing for racing with hard plastic armour".

Code 994269G is for motorcycle boots.

I am going through the exercise of replacing my gear from *THE* crash right now, is how I know (I have only been out of the cast since last week).

I used the first exemption code successfully when getting my Dainese 2 piece suit originally.  You are still up for the GST of course, but don't let some muppet at the inbound freight company/customs office lazily slap undue duties on your precious goodies.

I did question the reason for the 17% duty still remaining on helmets and "apparently" we have a thriving helmet making industry!  Can someone please direct me to these cats so I can get a cheap lid?  Even minus outbound Euro VAT, after everything is done and dusted, helmets are still mucho expenso to get across the net.  Also look out 'cos the tariff/GST is applied to the COST of the goods AND the FREIGHT.  Is anyone here in the employ of NZ Customs who can straighten me out?

Kwaka-Kid
9th April 2003, 22:57
Dunno, but i do know that there is somwhere that custom makes helmets,  A dude i know got one done because his head was a little big even for the biggest helment in all shop windows.  But that is the only occasion ive ever heard of where the helmet has to have been made in NZ.

Good to hear your buying new gear dude :) Its really great, if you can afford it.

750Y
14th April 2003, 15:02
yeah good to hear you're getting new gear. whats it gonna be? another jacket of the same type? and what of the suomy bayliss replica?

bikerboy
14th April 2003, 16:44
it's been my experience that people tend to "afford" what theyt want and can't "afford "what to them is not essential.

In KK's case he "chooses to afford" four bikes and one car but "can't afford " new gear.

It's all a matter of priorities. For me its the best gear I can "afford" before I'd ever consider another bike.:cool:

SPman
14th April 2003, 17:32
There is /was a helmet factory in Waihi. Buggered if I can remember what they are called though.......

Pickle
14th April 2003, 18:50
For cheap quality helmets & visors try searching the bike shops in Oz

My wife & I both wear the latest top of the range AGV X vent (mines a Rossi) & had them in the country for less than half what you pay here, including an Iridium visor for each. Yes I know we should be supporting the local shops but when you save shit loads by buying off-shore what choice do you have. It also helps to buy when you go to the Superbikes Or Moto GP as the savings off-set the cost of the trip.:bigthumb:

What?
15th April 2003, 19:58
Originally posted by SPman
There is /was a helmet factory in Waihi. Buggered if I can remember what they are called though.......

FFM.

I understand that they are now an asembly plant - shells are imported. They used to make their own glass lids (anyone remeber the old FFM Mach 1?)

750Y
17th April 2003, 05:31
anyone remeber the old FFM Mach 1?

sorry but I am currently restoring my first ever helmet which is a 60's Daytona roadracing helmet (openface with the sticking out ears)

NhuanH
17th April 2003, 06:06
Originally posted by 750Y
yeah good to hear you're getting new gear. whats it gonna be? another jacket of the same type? and what of the suomy bayliss replica?

Yeah thanks Dave.  I am trying to scam another jacket that is similar, definitely a Dainese anyway so I can zip to the pants which I didn't wear during the crash (naughty naughty!).

I am looking at an Arai RX7 Corsair at the moment - maybe the Roberts double eagle - go the Suzukis!  The Suomy Spec 1R, which is the flash new one as worn by Biaggi, Bayliss, Capirossi, Hodgson this year doesn't fit as nicely (for my coconut anyways).  Also, being flash and new it has a flash Arai like price, + or - $100 or so.  The Gunwind was very good - crash tested!  But was a bit noisy for extended highway use, but maybe that ear plugs threat might help me...

By the way, were you riding down Te Irirangi Drive last night (Tuesday) towards Gt South Rd?

750Y
17th April 2003, 06:17
I got off the m/way & was on the bridge on Te irirangi about 10:30pm-ish looking for a feed on my way home from work.
how's it all coming along? I see the cbr600rr's(?) are due in 4 weeks or so. Have a good Easter buddy I'm outa akld for a couple weeks (driving the holden unfortunately).