PDA

View Full Version : Brass Monkey rally

dangerous
16th May 2004, 18:56
Anyone mad enough to be going there this year?..... myself i will be seeing what the weather is going to be doing on the day :yes:

k14
16th May 2004, 19:48
Whats the deal? What dates is it?

pete376403
16th May 2004, 19:51
Oh yes, I'll be there again (this will be the thirteenth) Have a look at www.brassmonkeyrally.org.nz for everything you need to know.

FROSTY
16th May 2004, 19:57
ya gotta be mad to freeze ya butt of for fun--I did it when i was younger and maybee my blood was thicker

pete376403
16th May 2004, 20:04
Actually for the past few years it hasn't been that cold. Old timers will tell you about the time the lake froze and they could ride on the ice, I've never seen ice more than about three metres from the shore, and it's never been thick enough to safely stand on.
'sides a good dose of green ginger wine helps keep the cold out, there's the huge bonfire plus all the drum fires around the site, and its a good few days riding to and from.

k14
16th May 2004, 20:11
Hmmm, I think I'll give it a miss, just quietly. Don't know how the CBR would handle it.

dangerous
16th May 2004, 20:39
Hmmm, I think I'll give it a miss, just quietly. Don't know how the CBR would handle it.

Ohh.... no worries we used to light a fire under some of the bikes to warm the oil up so as the motors would turn over, mind you we dident have the pretty fairings that your bike has aye.

one year it was -22* and there were side car races on the lake this was in the 80's through the 90's the lake hasent even frozen.

Eddieb
16th May 2004, 20:58
Yea last time I went (1995) it was 14 degrees below apparently, bloody cold anyway.

1 of the guys I was with rebuilt his bike the day before we left, and forgot to put anti freeze in it. We ended up putting it over a fire and chipping ice out of all the hoses with screwdrivers so we could pour warm water in to warm things up.

Didn't seem to do any noticeable damage to the bike.

LB
17th May 2004, 05:55
Hi D.

I have to say a resounding "no" to this one (which won't surprise anyone who knows me - I'm a motel/hotel girl me)

Hope you all have a great time.

PS: just to let you know I wasn't always this wimpy - I've been to 7 Cold Kiwis in my earlier days

Slim
17th May 2004, 09:45
I'm not going, but a Welsh friend of ours is. Look out for Phil, the large Welshman, long hair & usually wearing one of those Aussie leather hats. I have no idea how many jokes that guy knows, but he's the best free entertainment I've come across in a looong time. :killingme

scumdog
17th May 2004, 11:21
Oh yes, I'll be there again (this will be the thirteenth) Have a look at www.brassmonkeyrally.org.nz for everything you need to know.

If you look at the pics for the Brass Monkey rally on that site you will see a dude with coloured hair and a Drizabone - it is moi :shifty:

pete376403
17th May 2004, 14:10
what year - otherwise there's a lot of pics to browse through

F5 Dave
17th May 2004, 18:22
Yeah I’ll be heading down to chch Wednesday lynx (check out the deals they are trying to compete with air, cost me $100 return inc bike!! :spudbooge ).

If you want company to ride down weds midday sailing, but I’ll be staying with friends that night then weather dependant we’ll probably go over a pass & stay somewhere & continue to the site sat.

Kickaha
17th May 2004, 18:37
Not going myself but I can offer accomodation just out of Christchurch for anyone from the North who's heading down and wants somewhere to stay on the way down and back.

scumdog
17th May 2004, 22:12
what year - otherwise there's a lot of pics to browse through

I would say'94 or '95, I last saw it in the general pictures on the Bras monkey site

festus
19th May 2004, 13:50
Yep another Brass Monkey coming up.
We have a group of about 8 this year from WangaFlorida.
The weather has been good these last few years, last year we wore Hawaiian shirts and shorts. BTW we were the group wearing only Hawaiian shirts and shorts :cold: , there was another group wearing there shirts over the leathers?? :baby:

White trash
19th May 2004, 13:56
Hi D.

I have to say a resounding "no" to this one (which won't surprise anyone who knows me - I'm a motel/hotel girl me)

Hope you all have a great time.

PS: just to let you know I wasn't always this wimpy - I've been to 7 Cold Kiwis in my earlier days

what's that, washing your hair again?

Must be the best washed bloody hair in motorcycling ya blouse! :D

Holy Roller
27th May 2004, 07:31
I was only toying with the idea of doing the brass monkey not really expecting to actually be able to go. BUT....
Here I am in Mosgiel, what a trip it has been so far.

Life had not been too good at home recently over tired and stressed from working two jobs and having five kids who appeared to be pushing the limits all the time. Well I lost it big time resulting in the Mrs booking me into seeing the doctor. This resulted in three weeks stress leave, the doc asked where I would like to go to give my family some time without me, so I said Dunedin.

No time to really plan the trip as my lovely wife wanted me out NOW. :bash:
Went to Auckland to my mum's picked up a tent from a mate. headed south great ride appart from the fog and rain and an accident at rainbow mountain that resulted in a detour around Waikite Valley a great dry, day time ride but a shocker in the fog following other cars.

Froze my but off going through the desert Rd at sunrise but what a fantastic view.
Heading through Fielding on Saturday I rode over a railway track and lost all forward motion. Stripped the driveshaft pinion :doh: Well thats the trip over I thought.
The guys at Ride Yamaha in Fielding are tops. Got the bike fixed ( welded the driveshaft up) Stayed in Masterton for a few days untill the bike was fixed. I got to go for a ride in a 2003 911 Turbo Porsche, not been that fast in a long long time :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

What a ride the Rimatukas would be in the dry. Boy am I jelous of you Wellington types. caught the ferry over and hooked up with a guy on a 1100 Guzzi californian stone. A sedate ride to Christchurch in the dark. The ferry had mechanical probs so a slow trip over.

:2thumbsup :2thumbsup a Big bthanks to kickaha for putting me up for the night :2thumbsup :rockon:

Fantastic roads down to Dunedin but shockers in Dunedin. Heading down to Winton next week catch a trip to Bluff then up to Brass monkey

More L8R
Gordon

pete376403
27th May 2004, 09:45
It is going to be a bit nippy :D

Ms Piggy
27th May 2004, 14:56
Heading down to Winton next week catch a trip to Bluff then up to Brass monkey

More L8R
Gordon

Great to hear all has turned out good for ya Gordo! I guess you'll be catching up with Peter in Winton - say a big "Gidday!" from me and ride safe! :yes:

Ms Piggy
27th May 2004, 14:59
It is going to be a bit nippy :D
Nice one! Where is that exactly?

pete376403
28th May 2004, 09:40
Don't know, it was sent to me as a reminder of what to expect. Somewhere in the McKenzie Country I expect. The whole area as absolutley stunning.

duckman
28th May 2004, 11:30
Nothing relieves stress like freezing ya nads off eh ? :cold:

F5 Dave
28th May 2004, 11:39
Oh I wish I could post this picture now. Duckman I'll send you a PM.

Holy Roller
1st June 2004, 19:56
A couple of days in Dunedin gib fixing payed for the repairs to the bike and enabled me to carry on. One meets fellow KBers in the strangest places :wavey:
I had stopped at Balclutha to get a photo of the bike infront of the sign, had to wait a bit for the traffic to pass before I could take the photo. Then pulled into the Mobile station to refuel when a fellow KBer came over to see if I or the bike were ok. It turned out to be Scumdog :2thumbsup its good to see there are folks out there looking out for us bikers, UR doing a great job SD keep it up :rockon:

A fantastic day, fine weather all the way to bluff but a tad windy south of Balclutha I hit reserve 30km earlier than usual. A bit of a front was rolling in from the southern sea so I could not see Stewart Island but got a pix of the bluff sign pointing to various parts of the world.

Pete says hi CSL. So far the trip has been fantastic must be close to be the one who has travelled the greatest distance to the rally, A quick trip up to Queenstown and back may put me in the lead maybe. looking forward to the rally and going home. :yeah:

merv
2nd June 2004, 07:56
Good to hear about your trip Holy.

LB
4th June 2004, 06:05
Jeez, from looking at the weather forecast you guys/guyesses are going to freeze your bollocks off!!

Take care on them there snow covered roads......

I'd like a full report from at least one of you when you get back please.

dangerous
7th June 2004, 12:54
HR, I take it that it was you that called in on Sun on your way north? My nabour told me a some one stoped by so sorry I missed you, cant of been by much.

So far out of the 2 of my crew that went, one has made it back and the other is missing in action. The mate that got back said that by Sun morn the snow was comming in horozontal and all the passes were closed but the pig rout. He had to walk the bike down hill as cars had made such a mess of things that it wasent realy possible to ride he had already droped it once cos of a d/h jumping out in frount of him yelling 'stop' The same d/h had stopped a line of traffic and now none could get going again.

Milky
7th June 2004, 15:35
I saw some brief shots of the rally on tv3 news and i can say whole heartedly that I have absolutley no wish to ever do something that crazy.... sleeping in tents when it is snowing?? trying to ride in those conditions must be impossible too...

laRIKin
7th June 2004, 18:20
A mate of mine and his friend got though the Hast Pass before it got closed.
And found that they could not get up one hill, that is until the grit truck came.
(remembered the R this time :blah: )
And then they both crash on a 300M long bit of ice (they could only just
stand up) and noticed that some one had gone down before them.
And while they where picking up their bikes. Three more guys went down,
they where trying to wave them down, but it was to late.
My mate went down twice on the way home. He is all right and so is his mate.
My mate (a X cop) said that someone should be held responsible for the
shit condition on the roads down there.
Not the ice, the condition of the roads, as they need resealing, lots of shiny
bear tar-seal. So they where slipping on that as well as the ice.

Mongoose
7th June 2004, 19:14
A mate of mine and his friend got though the Hast Pass before it got closed.
He is all right and so is his mate.

My mate (a X cop) said that someone should be held responsible for the
shit condition on the roads down there.
Not the ice, the condition of the roads, as they need resealing, lots of shiny
bear tar-seal. So they where slipping on that as well as the ice.

I guess it all depends on what you are used to, although I never went this year I have been to several,not sure how many, Brass Monkeys before. It amounts to slowing down, sitting upright and steering with the handlebars, ie no lean into the corner. This has saved me on moe than one ocassion, managed to get a full figure *S* in on one corner but both bike me and pillion stayed upright and on the road. :shit: < Was the only damage done to clothing :laugh:

dangerous
7th June 2004, 19:47
I saw some brief shots of the rally on tv3 news and i can say whole heartedly that I have absolutley no wish to ever do something that crazy.... sleeping in tents when it is snowing?? trying to ride in those conditions must be impossible too...

Well its funny but the year that I was there when it snowed was one of the warmer (snow kinda insulats you from the ground which is whats realy cold) and I've done 10 odd starting in 85. As for riding in snow its actually sticky (when fresh) and traction isent normaly a problem, however once the snow has been squeshsd to mush and then it frezzes then its bloody hard work and I'd sooner be at home

laRIKin
7th June 2004, 20:54
I guess it all depends on what you are used to, although I never went this year I have been to several,not sure how many, Brass Monkeys before. It amounts to slowing down, sitting upright and steering with the handlebars, ie no lean into the corner. This has saved me on moe than one ocassion, managed to get a full figure *S* in on one corner but both bike me and pillion stayed upright and on the road. :shit: < Was the only damage done to clothing :laugh:

I may have not been as clear as I could of been in the previous post. :D
But they were being very careful. But they hit a patch of ice, 300M long.
They where riding with their feet down.
And when they tryed to pick up their bikes they could not, as the wheels would slip away from them. And they could only just keep their feet as they were falling down alot as well.
So it took two of them to pick up one bike.
When one of the bikes was leaning up against the railing, the wheels, still on some of the ice, slipped and the bike went down again. :shit:
And at one point they could not get up the hill, as the wheels where just spinning.
One of the guys let down this tyre to try to get up the hill and still couldn't.
Until the grit truck came and helped them across the road and on to the grit.
So they could get under way again. :Punk:

Mongoose
7th June 2004, 21:05
I may have not been as clear as I could of been in the previous post. :D
But they were being very careful. But they hit a patch of ice, 300M long.
They where riding with their feet down.One of the guys let down this tyre to try to get up the hill and still couldn't.
Until the grit truck came and helped them across the road and on to the grit.
So they could get under way again. :Punk:

Apologies, sounds like they were doing everything the right way alrighty. But, it is a mid-winter rally, so I guess you have to expect the unexpected.
Was there one year the damn was frozen over and dudes were racing around on the ice on four-wheeler farm bike thingies.

dangerous
7th June 2004, 21:41
Was there one year the damn was frozen over and dudes were racing around on the ice on four-wheeler farm bike thingies.

All the time in the 80's I cant remember when it last was frozen from one side to the other.... I remember one year they were racing side cars on it I was a some what pissed out of my teenage tree and thougt it was the awesomest thing to watch.

laRIKin
7th June 2004, 22:40
Apologies, sounds like they were doing everything the right way alrighty. But, it is a mid-winter rally, so I guess you have to expect the unexpected.

No apology needed I just thought that I would clear it up mate.

I was at that rally when the lake was frozen over.
I can't remember the quads, but did see guys on bikes doing donuts on the lake.
And some guys sliding down one of the hill on a sheet of corrugated iron
across the lake.
We went to look as we could hear a funny noise and could not make it out.
Fark it was cold, I stayed most of the night by the fire. Or should I say,
Standing in the fire.
We had a tarp over our bikes and we still got a frost on our bikes.

scumdog
8th June 2004, 10:30
Yep, you have to "steer" and not lean over, makes it tricky to wipe your visor to get the snow off, if you turn your head to one side the wind generally blows most of it off.
Went over the Lindis after the B.M. about 1995, snow was about 10" deep (250mm) for a lot of it, felt glad to get through alive and in one piece.

You couldn't tell where the edge or centre of the road was, all the road signs were just white and if you followed ruts left by truck tyres half the time you found out they were actually from a truck going in the opposite direction and you were trapped in ruts on the wrong side of the road. :eek:

pete376403
8th June 2004, 12:29
It was great! We made a week of it, wednesday night at St Arnaud, thurs at Mercer, Fri at Wyndham, sat at the rally (natch) sunday night at Chch.
Weather was mostly good for the week, a bit of rain here and there. Rally nite was good, nice young girl on stage must have been feeling the heat and found it necessary to disrobe, ah well. Not too sure about those three or four guys walking around starkers, must have been the heat as well. I thought someone had fallen on to my tent when the wind came up, as it nearly collapsed. Looked out at the pretty snow and went back to sleep. Got away ok in the morning, police breath testing everyone. Was going to go via Lindis pass but that was closed, pigroot was the only way out. A slow trip with the snow and so-on, no dramas except I'm sure a lot of people made it hard on themselves by trying to go too slow. On the steepest downhills I killed the engine and left it in gear, used the clutch to control progress with both feet as outriggers. Sunday and monday were quiet rides, went via inland Kaikoura for a change and thats a good ride. Put the bike, my pillion (daughter) and I on the weighbridge at Picton ferry - 506 kgs all up. Must leave the microwave and kitchen sink at home next time.

k14
8th June 2004, 12:46
I read in the paper this morning that 2 guys got stuck in the middle of nowhere because their fuel lines froze. They both had mild hypothermia and one guy had broken ribs after he slipped on some ice and his bike fell on him. Lucky they made it out alright.

Think i will cross the brass monkey off my list of things to do.

Coldkiwi
8th June 2004, 13:18
Think i will cross the brass monkey off my list of things to do.

you and me both dude! The cold kiwi is fine because the weather is just damn cold and a little unpleasent... as opposed to downright dangerous!
For some reason my mother and mother-in-law-to-be both think that just because I'm getting married I won't be wanting to sod off down to Tangiwai for the rally this year??? Go figure.

Respect to all you who did go to the monkey then! verifiably hard people! :niceone:

festus
8th June 2004, 17:03
It's all been said above really, but yes we made it back in one piece, however I had a spill on Friday morning just past chch side of Arthurs Pass, heading to Oamaru, just a low speed into a barrier, cosmetic damage only. We made it up thru the West Coast Sunday luckily, didn't know the roads where closed later, they were shocking alright, snow & ice in Haast Pass to Frans J, one area just before FJ one corner must have claimed heaps of bikes, patches of oil everywhere. Luckily someone waved us down before the corner, good work!. We returned the favour for a while but had to go..........
Got off the ferry at 430pm, traffic build up as far as Foxton!, now that sucked after a long days riding.....otherwise another 'character building ride'.

Holy Roller
8th June 2004, 17:22
What a trip :eek:
Left Invercargil on friday morning at 8am headed up to queenstown just before Lumsden the rain came down in bucket loads, got stuck behind a truck and did not know the road so stayed at 80kph most of the way to queenstown. The rain and mist was so thick that one couldnot see the other side of the lake :bye: would have been a great ride in the dry. The sun came out at queenstown a dry ride to Alexandera KFC for lunch. Arrived at the rally site about 2.30pm nothing was ready but being prepaid got given my badge. Set up the tent. The guys next door who had just finished setting up their tent were from Rotorua and Tokoroa. A fantastic day reasonably warm untill the sun went down then decided to go to the pub for dinner.... flat battery :mad: :mad: :mad:

Saturday the rally began to fill up heaps of bikes. at the prize giving I just missed out on the furtherest travelled(only had done 2697km) to a guy from Hikurangi. Should of gone up to Te Anau and loop back would have done it, next time may be.

12.30am the snow came in hard and fast horizontal. The next morning a good covering of snow every where. Packed up , got a jump start and headed out. Others were going to wait for better weather but seeing a big snow cloud rolling in necessitated a rather imeadiate start. (Glad I went when I did)
ice all the way to Ranfurly then good roads for about 10km untill the snow started again. It got quite heavy but the bike handeled it fine. Passed others who had stopped by the road side but was not willing to stop as it would have been dangerous on the ice. My tires inspired confidence and passed through the snow with no incidence. Palmerston to Blenheim only stopped to fuel. At Blenheim a guy who had been following pulled alongside and invited me home for a coffee. This turned into steak eggs and chips. Soutern hospitality is tops.

Caught the ferry at 9.30pm got in at 1am rode up to waiouru at 4.30am where the snow was falling again. Warmed up my feet using the hand air dryer, Hung around for a bit and saw cars that had come across dropping lumps of snow and ice from the wheel arches. I was going to rest up until it was better going but the snow plough driver said the road was ok.... famous last words aye.

Snow falling icy roads battery cutting out( problem was a loose battery terminal in the battery) a slow trip took an hour to get over the desert road. Only lost traction twice and one downhill side but no offs :calm:
Got to Turangi had an hours kip at the shell shop, heck I must be crazy to do the trip so to curl up in a corner seemed normal, to me anyway.

Rotorua by 9am got the photos developed crashed at my mates place for acouple of hours before attending my daughters birthday party. It was the best present for my girl, to be there. Still not welcome home so went back to my mates place for the night. It was too much for the Mrs seeing me when she thought I was still down south.
Good news I'm now home after a day in the shop with the mrs and plan to keep it that way :niceone:

laRIKin
8th June 2004, 17:48
they were shocking alright, snow & ice in Haast Pass to Frans J, one area just before FJ one corner must have claimed heaps of bikes, patches of oil everywhere. Luckily someone waved us down before the corner, good work!.

Sounds like the same corner that my mate went down.
He also said that there was a lot of oil about, some of it was from his bike as
he holed his rocker cover on his Guzzi. Thank goodness for that knead it metal.
And BMW total his cover and he was not going any where.
If you heard a real loud Guzzi (cracked or broken pipes just after the headers
after the crash) that was my silly mate. He thought it sounded real good in
the hills.

Mongoose
8th June 2004, 18:18
you and me both dude! The cold kiwi is fine because the weather is just damn cold and a little unpleasent... as opposed to downright dangerous!
people! :niceone:

The Cold Kiwi losr respect with some of the Mainlanders a few years back, the big softies canceled it because it was too cold!!! :rolleyes: It is a Mid-wnter rally after all.
Mongoose

merv
8th June 2004, 19:46
Great trip man. Not my thing that tent though, with no queen size bed, electric blanket or spa bath.

Slim
9th June 2004, 08:44
The photo's are fantastic HR. Talk about "before" & "after". :cold: :D

F5 Dave
10th June 2004, 09:24
The Cold Kiwi losr respect with some of the Mainlanders a few years back, the big softies canceled it because it was too cold!!! :rolleyes: It is a Mid-wnter rally after all.
Mongoose

yeah I went to that one, went through the desert road on thursday night as they closed it behind us. Stayed in Turangi till they opened it & saw the site, or at least the entrance. Couldn't have walked in there :shit: Several foot of snow.

Just got back from the Brass last night. Man I love this electric vest! Roads were scary though, esp the Haast, out of Fox (saw a van down the bank) & Springs + on the friday we stayed at Mt Cook we got several inches of snow & had to push to get out the carpark.

About midnight at the site the snow came in big clumps weighing the tents & then the wind blew several down. Not fun. Uncharacteristically I was sober & in bed by then. Glad of that.

pete376403
10th June 2004, 09:52
As I said before, a great trip, but the rally was spoiled the tiniest bit for me by some of the early arrivals, who stockpiled large amounts of firewood and wouldn't share. On Sunday morning to see them packing up and leaving plenty of wood behind was a bummer. Oh well, next year when I have the sidecar (assuming it gets built) the ballast will be sacks of coal.

Slim
10th June 2004, 16:49
Do they make chains for bikes? :confused:

F5 Dave
10th June 2004, 16:57
spikes would have been better :blink:

Ms Piggy
10th June 2004, 17:06
Great pics Gordo! Brrrrrrrrrr!! :cold:

laRIKin
10th June 2004, 19:28
As I said before, a great trip, but the rally was spoiled the tiniest bit for me by some of the early arrivals, who stockpiled large amounts of firewood and wouldn't share. On Sunday morning to see them packing up and leaving plenty of wood behind was a bummer. Oh well, next year when I have the sidecar (assuming it gets built) the ballast will be sacks of coal.

I know what you mean. It happens every year.
And if you stand by their fire, you get funny looks.
Well with a few beers, the cold, they can just keep giving me the looks.
Fark em I say, the closes fire to my tent is mine to. I even thank them for
collecting the wood for a great fire. :niceone:

If you can't beat them, join them. :apint:

NordieBoy
10th June 2004, 20:07
A mate from Nelson (Dave - VX800) went down and had some fun stories about getting back :blink:

festus
11th June 2004, 13:29
but the rally was spoiled the tiniest bit for me by some of the early arrivals, who stockpiled large amounts of firewood and wouldn't share. On Sunday morning to see them packing up and leaving plenty of wood behind was a bummer.

I agree, the old rule first in first served is fair enough, but seeing some of the stockpiles, there was no bloody way they were going to burn all that wood overnight........