PDA

View Full Version : The 06 Brass Monkey Thread

dangerous
2nd June 2006, 16:43
Ok, so figered I'd crank this thread up as the origanal http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=28176
is getting a tad longish and is more about the pre amp getting there side of things.

Post up ya photos and write up a line or two of ya thoughts and adventurs of the 06 Brass.
I'll start... shit it was cold, ohh hang on havnt gone yet ;)

Kickaha
2nd June 2006, 18:29
I'll start... shit it was cold, ohh hang on havnt gone yet ;)

Don't you mean " it was to cold so I didn't go"?

sAsLEX
2nd June 2006, 18:31
Don't you mean " it was to cold so I didn't go"?

he is a bit of a blouse but the excuse more likely will be his bike breaking down!

k14
2nd June 2006, 18:43
Yeah i was just going to put up a quote of his report "I'll start... shit it was cold...sitting on the side of the road trying to fix the dodgy italian electrics, then this guy called earl offered me a ride to the servo, i don't remember what happened next but i woke up in a public toilet with my belt undone, not sure how that happpened."

Jantar
4th June 2006, 13:12
I arrived home a couple of hours ago. It was a mild BM this year, with overnight rain. It was quite entertaining this morning watching riders trying to negotiate a wet grassy slope.

There were a few suspicious looking characters hanging around as the attached photos show.

Jantar
4th June 2006, 14:01
During the afternoon there was a display of freestyle motocross. One guy attempted to do the jump on a mountain bike. He succeeded on his second attempt, buth the photo shows what happenend on his firat attempt.

T.W.R
4th June 2006, 16:45
Well another who's made it back to home base after the Brass 06 (Mild Monkey). Plenty of KBers in attendance, good to meet all :yes:

Well won't go into detail to much but, from latching on to the KB freight train at Chertsey the trip was a pleasant one, good pace & no mishaps.
Diddle came along for the ride through till Oamaru :niceone:
But top effort of the saturday morning has to go to Smokin for his pre dawn departure from the coast to meet up with the KB freight train (something like a 4am departure) :first:

A certain Ginga had a minor hiccup on the trip down to Palmerston with his Radar detector (in helmet display unit) throwing a wobbly or two, then again it may have had something to do with the hand covers he'd swiped of some farmers trx 300 quad :nya:

Then FDM showing us where the rev limiter cuts in on his CBR whilst trying workout a odd noise coming from the engine:gob:

More soon just got to sort some pxts:yes:

dangerous
4th June 2006, 17:51
Wicked w/e people... T.I.E & Patoura turned out to be a pair of typical north Is wankers... but bloody awesome pair of wankers tho :first:

T.I.E, Patoura, Rashika and myself left at 6;30 am so we saw the sun rise in the mirrors as we headed south. picked up FlyingDutchMan and Thunder then further up the rd Smokin all the way from the coast that morning... then a little further up the rd T.W.R and Diddle climbed aboard.

With the sun rising it was bloody cold but hey with all the fancy shit gears we have these days (including me old 1980 CX gauntlets, fuk yas all that laughed) its nothing like 21yrs ago when I went for the 1st time.
great ride south with a few coppers trying there best to notch up their belts for the day but thanks to my bikes accessories we avoided all, although there was one prick that we had to follow that left his radar on and my helmet was lit up like an airport landing strip, so I pulled over and shut the system down, and played tail end Charlie for the rest of that leg.

Turned inland At Palmy after assuring FDM that his bike wasn't about to blow its load all over the ground, sweet rd the Pigroot no ice and only a few damp/gritted patches.

Arrived at the rally and soon had the KB site set up, over the rest of the night we met heaps of KBer's and drank a bit, as well as socalised with old mates, band was average and the bonfire great.
At camp KB the 'men' were trying to get our own wee bonfire lit but were struggling so Rashika stepped in and showed them how things were done :wait:

Sunday morn and the rain was pelting down so after a wee lie in it eased and we packed up camp... now this was the interesting bit... we had to ride up hill in the mud to get out, very tricky and every bastard lining up to watch, after a ST4 fell to the ground it was my turn to give the Buell a wind up.
bloody big thumper idled its way up the hill but started slowing still at idle in 1st it then started sliding backwards... and a group of guys I knew watching just yelled 'WTF ya going to do now' fuk em swore at the pricks and eventually one came over for a push just about as I slid to the bottom again... made it after that so gave the Guzzy a spin... that was easier but what a bloody heavy pig to hold up talk about tricky shit.

Good return ride home with the rain getting heavy by Ashburton... some what rather wet but not too cold we arrived home.
Waved the dorklanders with the birdy as they departed KB HQ and went in for a shower.

Thanks all was a great w/e not an easy one but all adds to the experience of the sport we love the most, fuk knows why I did it but it was my 11th and no doubt not my last.

Only those that have been to the Brass can appreciate the terrain and surroundings, altho this year was a mild year its still a mission so reps too all those that went :first: :first: :first:

T.W.R
4th June 2006, 18:06
After consuming various forms of lunch at Palmerston we took-off towards the pig route leaving Smokin to wait for his mate who'd flown to Dunedin to purchase a bike & was making his way to Palmy.

Upon hitting the Pig route proper our fearless Camp Leader was setting a comfy pace & the KB freight train ticked over the rolling/twisting road to Ranfurly filtering our way through other bikes & cars (the road itself was quite clean with only damp areas & grit on where ice had been).

About 2/3 of the way through we had to pass a van most of us got past OK till T.I.E's duvet decided it was going to part company with the bike as he was passing the van; being a small distance behind & allowing T.I.E to get in front of the van I hadn't noticed this duvet attempting to go awol & went to pass the van also, next thing said van is coming out to see me:gob: , so give it handful to get clear only to see T.I.E coming to a stop on the side of the road wrestling the duvet. So up the road I stop & let the van go past & return to see whats up & find T.I.E cursing "there's no friggin way I was going to loose that" and Paturoa standing on the roadside looking at a ditch going "OOH look ICE!" at the frozen trickle of water in the bottom.

Off again & a few Kms up the road the rest of the crew were waiting & wondering where we'd got too, a quick inform then the final rip through Ranfurly and off to the Rally site, couple of KMs out of Ranfurly Camp Leader had a wee moment thinking he might take the KBers for a tiki tour to Naseby, but decided not to at the last moment & returned to the designated path to get to the rally.

upon arrival we went through the due processes & ventured to what was to be camp KB, setting tents, sorting the fire out, collecting wood, meeting new faces & absorbing the atmosphere etc.

Though 2 things were learnt fairly quickly people nth of the bombay's & from cromwell have trouble with naked flames & wood :shit: and it's amazing how many people like giving Dangerous shit :rofl:

few pics from my ph
1) Timaru fuel stop Sat morning
2) Post duvet incident pig route
3) KB HQ, a various KBers
4) Another view of camp KB
5) shot of temp at 1.54am (-4.1) peaked at -5.2 (blurry pic sorry)
6) Timaru fuel stop on the return today ( it was colder there than on the bikes!)

Rashika
4th June 2006, 19:46
yegads i'm knackered...

well after an early start on Sat morning... fkn early considering I kept waking up every hour since about 2am, somehow managed to actually get up at 5am, shower and cook some lovely bacan and eggs for the Kb crew... and NO! that does NOT mean I do it for everyone, only very special people. ;)

Pic 1: the Kb flag at southern Kb headquarters.
pic 2: the group getting ready to depart...at 6.30am...see still DARK outside!

So we blatted off down state highway 1...got 200 metres only to have to stop and wait while Dangerous went back for his thermals...which he had forgotton to put on...afterall it was only about 2 degrees, not THAT cold really!?

Another 500 metres down the road and we stop AGAIN! only to find he had forgotton his beanie... so he got sent home and we carried on to Rolleston to meet up with FDM, Beemer89, and Thunder.

Oh yeah and my hot grips WORK! Damn are they HOT and lovely to ride with.
Anyway, Dangerous arrives and we head off into the sunrise...no wait, away from the sunrise and what an incredible one it was. :gob: it kept grabbing my eyes to the mirrors to check it out all the time...fantastic. Shoulda stopped for a photo op... oh well.
Picked up a few strays along the way, as mentioned by the others...and arrived at timaru for a fuelstop, and then Oamaru for a pitstop of the other variety. Brilliant weather the further south we got, tho it helped that we could actually see the view and road by the time we hit Timaru, so off came the clear (and fogged up) visors and on came to tinted ones.
The pigroot (and i must admit i thought it was spelled "route" but i checked the signs on the way down and they all say "root"...learn something new everyday!) was pretty damn good, just a bit of grit. Thought we may get a bit of spitty stuff, but nothing eventuated thankfully, so we had a nice steady trip apart from the wee stop for the Aucklanders to get their shit together... :shutup: At least i got a chance to pic take that time.

pic 6: ashburton, sun still coming up
Pic 3&4: Oamaru for a pitstop
Pic 5: The Buell on the pigroot...note the snow on the hills, luckily thats where it stayed...

Rashika
4th June 2006, 20:05
and so we arrived at the Brass. Now this is my 2nd one, tho it was 10 years ago I had my first and i kinda hoped it would be a little warmer, as the last one was horrendous (very cold and snowy, we arrived fri arvo, & they closed the road till 2pm sat arvo...i did survive tho!) ....luckily i was not dissapointed.
We arrived to a starting to get warm afternoon, and by the time we had got tents up, the sun was out full force....I had to hunt out the Buell cap and my sunnies, IT WAS THAT GOOD! So I meandered off for some piccie taking...
Found a bit of a manmade hill to take some pics of the whole rally site, and if you look carefully in pic 4 you will see a certain KB flag waving along the fence..."yoooohoooo, here we are!"

Lots of snow all round us, and THIS time I was actually able to see it...what a glorious view!

Rashika
4th June 2006, 20:08
and there was some entertainment in the afternoon...fkn great stuff guys!!!
Didnt get any names, but i think they were from Dunedin, they did a show a bit later as well, and as Jantar mentioned they got a guy on a pushie to do a couple of jumps as well. Glad he DID get over eventually, timing is everything they say ;)

Rashika
4th June 2006, 20:17
and some more kbers ATTEMPTING to light a fire...*head shaking*... just what do they teach kids these days?
Pics 1-3: firelighting 101 for beginners...how to kill a fire

And camp Kb alive with kbers of all types.... with a piccie of all the ones we could grab as the sun was setting, there were a few we missed trapping into a photo, you lucky buggers
...aint the flag purdy? :innocent:

Rashika
4th June 2006, 20:30
and thats about it for me
had a few drinks and i forget the rest...
No it wasn't that bad, went to visit the bonfire a few times, so purdy..
Had a boogie with flying dutchie, yagads now that boy can move, esp when he has had a few :blip: Talked some shit over the campfire, and then crashed...pretty normal rally stuff really.

a few misc pics of stuff
Pic 1: how an Aucklander does the brass, blowup bed, duvet and all
Pic 2: monkey man, handing out perky nanas, yum!
Pic 3: El dorado guzzi....actually was quite taken with this one, very nice!
Pic 4: this morning, packing up
Pic 4: Girls bike... awesome chicky! :rockon:

To all of you who made it, congrats! It was great to catch us with lots of people, Le Mans and Serow Down under amongst all the others like T.W.R, K14, Jantar, IDB....phew the list goes on. I really enjoyed the rally, maybe there will be a few more Brasses to come now?
Catch you all up again at the Magpie, if not sooner...

paturoa
4th June 2006, 22:30
T.I.E & me are tucked up in a motel at Kaikoura at the moment, separate beds! (duvets too). The trip noth was interrupted by a visit to a friend of ties north of Waimate, bacon eggs and crayfish for lunch... mmmmm..., but no latte!. Waved to Dangerous as went past this arvo.The rain just started to pelt down south of Cheviot as it got dark. There was a big stock truck that just sprayed shit everywhere and the inside of my visor got coverred even though it was closed! When we got to the coast it just got worse so we stpped here for the night.
Booked for the 10am ferry tomorrow & are looking at snow for the trip north. Go figure, go all the way to the brass and have to go home for snow.

Full report pending but having a whale of a time.

T.W.R
4th June 2006, 22:47
Glad we're not down there now :yes: Its colder outside now than it was at the rally!
Hope T.I.E & Paturoa make it home safely tomorrow as the forecast is looking real shite, predicted 6m swells on the cook straight & upto 10-15cm (edt : Snow ) on the desert road.

Well the nights events went down in usual fashion plenty of woffle & shite, Though FDM had alcoholically inspire hopes of abducting the chic behind the counter at the beer tent, and with words of incouragement ,he ventured forth into the dark ( results unknown ??).
The night went down with various bikes being cranked up & used to ignite fires.Rain started to fall in the early hours & upon dawn had almost gone so that was a relief, though the main passage through the site had turned into a muddy skating rink. The fire that had raised some sarcastic comments was a bed of glowing embers and was quickly brought back to life then a friendly camp neighbour donated a leaking air-mattress to it (think he might have just got a bit too lonely overnight:shutup: ), so it became the envy of surrounding area.

Camp was disbanded & we ventured forth into the cool morning back to Ranfurly, a quick re-group & off onto the pig root (mmm sounds dubious now ? otago people are a bit odd that way, cold nights & a good swine :sick: ).
Filtering our way through the clusters of bikes, we managed to get spread out a bit, watching the odd Hardley doing the 3 chop approach to corners isn't to nice to watch. So D & I managed to get some clear ground & set a nice wee pace heading to Palmerston.
Where we had another re-group, T.I.E & Paturoa along with Beamer89 carried on to St Andrew's to a mates place for a freshen up & prep for their trip further north whilst it was Kai - time for the rest of us.

A couple of brief stops heading home including a bloody cold stop at Timaru, with a few patches of light rain it wasn't too bad, apart from getting caught behind a stock truck & sprayed with @#$% mixing that with a semi wet visor the old wipe the visor on the move trick didn't work too well on the move:angry:

Well to all that were met at the rally & on the journey there and back :first: :rockon: cheers all
even though the monkey's plums are still in the hammock

Rashika
5th June 2006, 10:27
Just took muttles for a quick walk and OMG theres snow on them there hills! :gob:
Yup, just up the end of the road, on the port hills there is snow, just a bit of a dusting, but I suspect the hilltop road to Akaroa will look rather awesome today... from a car ;)

Ghost_Bullet
5th June 2006, 10:39
http://www.odt.co.nz/article.php?refid=2006,06,05,17,01700,d2f38084f974 76f56fb8df253de16efd&sect=2

far queue
5th June 2006, 10:43
Here you go, this was my Mild Monkey, I mean Brass Monkey ...

Friday
My mate (KLR650) and I left Chch at around 1200 and slowly worked our way out of town in the drizzle and stop start traffic and slowly overheating inside our wet weather gear. Once we cleared Chch and got up to a decent speed temperatures returned to normal and the drizzle stopped around Hornby. A quick stop at Ashburton for lunch and fuel then continued down to Temuka then inland to Albury where we met up with Transalper and Co – this made us 7 in the group. I had a thermometer attached to the bike and the temperature had varied between 11 and 8 deg to this point. We all headed off to Mackenzie Pass from here, the 1st part of which had new deep gravel recently laid, which made for an interesting ride. There was ice in the roadside ditches and one bridge was white with frost but the road itself was fine. The 2nd half of Mackenzie Pass was fogged in so it was visor up to see properly which got a bit chilly as the temp had dropped to 0.3 deg through here. Out of the fog and onto Hakataramea Pass which didn’t have new gravel and was in good condition and so with time getting on and wanting to get as far as possible before dark the pace was picked up – yee ha. Only one gate to open this time and the fords were all low so was able to keep up a good pace and made it off the gravel in failing light then the last 40km to Kurow in the dark where we stayed at the motor camp for the night. Overnight low here was 5deg.

Saturday
Left Kurow and met up with Lemans and SDU to go over Dansey’s Pass. Uneventful ride in great conditions, plenty of other bikes on the road including some nice road bikes, big cleaning job coming up for those guys I imagine. Spotted a nice looking Indian at the top - well done that man. On to the compulsory stop at the Dansey’s Pass pub – lots of bikes there and nice and warm inside. The ride over the hill was at about 6 deg, and no sign of any bad weather on this day. Continue off the pass, through Naseby and on to the rally site to find the KB flag and set up camp. Warm on site, no sign of ice, sunglasses needed but no jacket, temp was 12 deg. Temp dropped to around 5 deg when the sun went down.

Sunday
It rained during the night so I figured that would put an end to any ice, and sure enough, I checked the thermometer in the morning to find the overnight low had only been 3.1 deg outside the tent. The lack of ice/frost and the soft ground conditions confirm the warm temp (warm for the Brass that is). The road bikes were having some trouble leaving the site on the slippery conditions but the adventurers were fine. Left the site and headed back to Dansey’s Pass in patchy drizzle which turned to rain as the altitude increased and became fairly heavy at times approaching the top of the pass, then stopped completely once over the top. About halfway back down we came across a chap on a BMW F650 whose spring had popped off the side stand causing the stand to drag on the ground. Stopped to give him a hand and then my mate on the KLR noticed he had lost a bag off his bike, so got the BMW going while the KLR back tracked looking for the bag. Eventually the KLR returned with the soaked bag – it had landed in a small steam to make a dam of itself. Continued on to Kurow for lunch and fuel, then back onto Hakataramea Pass, where it was raining off and on. Started raining properly about 20km before Fairlie. Lots of bare tar patches which I was quite cautious of in the wet conditions with knobblies on the bike, also the visor was fogging up so had to stay partially open – this was the worst part of the trip in the cold and wet conditions, then the last stop at Gelraldine for more fuel and apply more Rainex and Fog Off to the visor – that cured the fogging problems. From there it was a straight forward ride home down Thompson’s track to Rakaia and home to Chch, hot shower and hot food at 6pm.

Highlights for me …
MacKenzie Pass, Haka Pass, Dansey's Pass, Dansey’s Pass again, Haka Pass again … mmm all the dirt road stuff. Not much in the way of photos here – I was having too much fun to stop.

Lowlights …
Only one – the road 20km before Fairlie through to Geraldine on the way home – cold, wet, fogging visor, poor road conditions.

Photo’s
1. Group of us at the top of Dansey's Pass on Friday
2. The Indian at the top of the Pass
3. Dansey’s Pass pub
4. Camped at the rally
5. Dansey’s on the way home while waiting for the KLR to get back

Smokin
5th June 2006, 10:56
Well, what more can I say, Bloody fantastic time, And all you guys and girls are a real credit to KB, Absolute top bunch :first:
Well pretty uneventfull trip home via Rakaia gorge, The more inland we ventured the colder and wetter it became, the gloves and boots gave up being water proof when the rain really nailed us past winchester.
The only dodgy moment i had was violently wheelspinning in 5th gear while overtaking, damn they can drift sideways fairly quick at that pace.
After some advice from guys on bikes at Springfield servo we shot the gap pretty quick coz the grit trucks were on the move.
We saw the last of the rain around lake Lyndon and they had manned grit trucks parked on the dodgier sections so we knew the cold was comming.
Well I'm a starter for next years Brass after i get a pair of those hand protector thingies that Dangerous flogged off that farmers quad, They must have made a hell of a difference.
Oh yea, A big thanks to Dangerous for the PM's and a major thanks to T.W.R for directions and tips, You guys are legends :rockon:

krash69
5th June 2006, 11:40
T.I.E & me are tucked up in a motel at Kaikoura at the moment, separate beds! (duvets too). The trip noth was interrupted by a visit to a friend of ties north of Waimate, bacon eggs and crayfish for lunch... mmmmm..., but no latte!. Waved to Dangerous as went past this arvo.The rain just started to pelt down south of Cheviot as it got dark. There was a big stock truck that just sprayed shit everywhere and the inside of my visor got coverred even though it was closed! When we got to the coast it just got worse so we stpped here for the night.
Booked for the 10am ferry tomorrow & are looking at snow for the trip north. Go figure, go all the way to the brass and have to go home for snow.

Full report pending but having a whale of a time.

hey there about how many days wood u reconmend to have for that trip plz.....i hope to do it mayb next yr

laRIKin
5th June 2006, 12:33
Well at the start (Friday 9:45am) we thought that we would be lucky and have a dry ride.
Wrong as when we were about to leave it started to rain.

As you can see in pic 1, so we had rain luckily only to Rolleston and was cold to Ashburton and then fine and warm and had a great ride to the back blocks of Oamaru where we spent the night.

In the morning we meet up with Far Que and Flocker to ride over the Danseys Pass, (pic2) to get to the rally site.
One of the warmest at night.
But during the night when the wind was right (wrong) it got bloody cold away from the fire (pic3) and as you can see when the fire was lit, no one was close, good fire that.

Rain a bit over night but did not drown out the champion snorer from a tent near or not so nearby.
The rain stopped long enough for breakfast and pack up.
Got wet going over the Pig Route and was cold as a witches tit to Palmerston and after wards.
No rain with wet roads in parts.
Until Timaru where it got colder and started to rain as we left.
Absolutely pissed down from Dunsandel.
Home by 4:45 shower Pizza beer warm bed, no snoring, apart from SDU cutting a cord of timber as she was knackered from from the longest ride she has ever done and did not get much sleep because of the mystery camp snorer, life's good.

It was good to put some faces to names.
And because Green Meanie could not make it, I/we are going next year with him.
So hopefully will meet you lot again and some new faces.

Rashika
5th June 2006, 12:45
Bloody good to catch up with you guys! And that is one damn funny shot of SDU on her tippy toes on the DR...HA! :yes:
Great going for your longest trip SDU, but damn wasn't it cold on that last homeward stretch?! Not surprised to see snow on the hills this morning after listening to the howling wind and rain last night.
Wet weathers worked pretty good... Jacket was good, must invest in some matching trousers at some point. Th leathers/polypro and overtrou were good but not really warm enough. The new gloves were good: wet on the outside but almost completely dry on the inside. Must look at some waterproof boots for me next... be nice to get some ladies shaped ones this time, must be something out there by now?
And as for the hot grips...well...have I mentioned just how good they were???? :shutup: :)

Jantar
5th June 2006, 12:49
..., no snoring, apart from SDU cutting a cord of timber as she was knackered from from the longest ride she has ever done and did not get much sleep because of the mystery camp snorer, life's good.

Normally I would raise my hand and own up to being the snorer....:innocent: But NOT this time. I know it wasn't me because I was kept awake all night by the loudest snoring I've heard in many a year.

The mystery snorer was in a yellow tent almost directly in front of and slightly to the right of my tent. Young K14 made a half assed attempt to snore, but his effort only lasted about 5 minutes and was so quiet it wouldn't have been heard any more than 2 or 3 tents away.

dangerous
5th June 2006, 18:53
A group of guys I know had a special reason for heading to the Brass this year, it was 3yrs to the day that their good mate Troy died on the way to the Brass.
I knew Troy, and often had a beer with him at the rallys, he rode a ZX12 and rode it bloody well and with only one good leg and an prosthetic 1/2 leg

Troys close mates (KBer OB) decided that it was time to cremate Troys 12, so what better place to do it than the Brass.
Believe it or not but IIRC Troy was doing 97k when a car pulled out in front of him... yes as you see the bike is how it ended up, 97k isn't all that fast so lets think about it for a sec and then give Troy and his family and mates a thought.

Rock on Man.:scooter:

laRIKin
5th June 2006, 19:00
SDU did well on the ride home, we were keeping up with most road bikes.
And some that caught us up were happy to just tag along.
Even though SDU was slowing down to give a gap so they could over take easily in the hills.
They just backed off to let her know that she was doing fine as she was.
Thanks guys who ever you are.

She adapted well to doing along haul with luggage.
She is pretty sore now and will pay the price for a while (RSI/OOS).
We did a couple of full tank runs which is not fun with our seats.
But it was best to press on to get home before it got darker and we got wet and colder.

SDU just got off the phone to our mate in the back blocks off Oamaru where we stayed Friday night, we are grateful we didn't take up the offer off crashing there last night as they got a bit of snow.
Another mate of theirs that stayed last night had to wait awhile for the snow to thaw enough on the drive this morning before being able to leave on her bike.

Jantar we will see you next year and with two that did not make it this year through health or finances.

far queue
5th June 2006, 19:39
SDU did well on the ride home, we were keeping up with most road bikes.

She adapted well to doing along haul with luggage.

She did well on the dirt and the seal, keep it up SDU :rockon:
Glad you both got home OK.

orangeback
5th June 2006, 21:14
A group of guys I know had a special reason for heading to the Brass this year, it was 3yrs to the day that their good mate Troy died on the way to the Brass.
I knew Troy, and often had a beer with him at the rallys, he rode a ZX12 and rode it bloody well and with only one good leg and an prosthetic 1/2 leg

Troys close mates (KBer OB) decided that it was time to cremate Troys 12, so what better place to do it than the Brass.
Believe it or not but IIRC Troy was doing 97k when a car pulled out in front of him... yes as you see the bike is how it ended up, 97k isn't all that fast so lets think about it for a sec and then give Troy and his family and mates a thought.

Rock on Man.:scooter:
Yes it was time, one ove the first rallys he ever went 2 and the last one he leaft home for (and now he is there)

warewolf
5th June 2006, 22:07
Friday dinner time left Nelson, had one of the best runs through the Upper Buller; clean and dry. Hit the cold fog after Murchison, was freezing my arse off before Greymouth. Tented it in a motor camp (practice for Sat night), hot shower in the morning!

Saturday was freezing and it started drizzling/raining south of Hokitika. Pretty uneventful run through to SH8A; cold, wet and misty the whole way. Move along, nothing to see here. Shoulda come down the east coast. :crybaby: Got to the rally site and the KB flag about 4:30pm, just in time for brief giddays before the group photo. It was good to meet more of the crew, drink and talk bikes 'round the fire, as one does. The rally was really cool, well organised and a great place to chill out. Someone remember to pack a grinder to make some holes in the fire drum next year, OK?!

Sunday morning I left with Plug to see the Falls Dam near St Bathans. Nice track in, particularly around the gorge. Had a close look at the spillway in action. Brunched at the Vulcan Hotel, St Bathans, to rendevous with Jules, Paul and transalper. Back-tracked to Danseys Pass then refueled body & bike in Kurow. The road around Aviemore Dam is great, sinuous and open. From Benmore Dam we scooted up the Black Forest track...now there's ripper of a road. Just don't spend too long looking at the scenery and have an off-track excursion: it's a lo-o-ong way down! Once back down to the stream it gets a bit faster, except for the fords. North of Black Forest Station the road is, um, quite fast. We were losing light as we headed up Mackenzie Pass, only one bike got stuck in the ford, but like the freestyle mountain biker, only the back wheel didn't make it. From there we headed out Burkes Pass to SH8, and a brief scoot in the drizzle took us to Fairlie. It was nice to spend the night in a warm house, thanks Malcolm. Thanks gents, for a top day's riding. transalper's videos were a bonus.

This morning took my time to pack up and get going, to give the roads a chance to clear. Any standing water in the yard was iced up. SH79 was pretty icy and SH72 was frosty in parts, particularly through the gorges. Did I mention it was really cold? My heated grips on high felt...well, like they were switched off. That was the situation for most of the day. I followed SH72 through to Oxford, cursing the cold and Canterbury's ruler-drawn roads, all the while trying to convince myself that I should be enjoying the views of the snow-clad mountains. From there I headed north onto the Ashley Gorge road, the first corners in ages; I can really recommend that stretch. I warmed up a little with the extra effort cornering. After that it was just a drone home up SH1 then SH6. The only excitement was the grit-turned-greasy-clay on the Rai Saddle climb...glad I was on the adventure bike for that bit.

All in all a pretty good long weekend of motorcycling, 1900km, even if I was bloody cold most of the time - except at the Brass!!!

Ghost_Bullet
5th June 2006, 22:57
He did not make it
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34119&d=1149497057
He made it
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34120&d=1149497057

So I have,
The push bike tried hard, finally making the jump.

Reading this thread took me back those 3 years, I am guessing by the image this was at the intersection of Main-south and Halswell Junction, I lived just down the road, it was a terrible morning that one to hear the events and that this guy lived so close.
So sad, I used to use that intersection every day to got to work, after that I avoided it.

I saw bike surrounded by flame on Saturday night, "at rest"

idb
6th June 2006, 12:56
I headed through to Dunedin on Thursday,

I left Arrowtown at 8am on what has been the hardest frost so far this year.
About 10ks down the road (at the Nevis Bluff) I struck fog which froze to my visor and clothing, I then realised I didn't have a neck warmer on - ahhh, good!
I decided not to turn back but carry on to Cromwell and get a new neck warmer there but by the time I got there I needed more glove inners too - and a cup of coffee.
So after buying a cuppa, a new warmer and another set of glove inners, meaning that I had three layers of gloves on, I set off into the fog again.
I only got as far as Tarras before I had to stop for another coffee and some cheese rolls.

Luckily the fog ended about there and it was clear over the Lindis but I had to stop in Omarama again for more coffee and cheese rolls.
It was a beautiful clear day and very, very cold - but boy does a bike sing when the air is so cold and dry!

Stopped at Otematata where OldRider and Lady OldRider werer kind enough to feed and water me - no cheese rolls this time but real food.

OldRider then came with me and showed me a back road to Oamaru which will be great fun in summer if I could ever find it again!

On to Dunedin and met up with some mates the following day where I proceeded to erase my memory - note to self, sake in little cups still contains alcohol!

Off to the site the next day over the road through Middlemarch and after a few stops.
Met up briefly with the KB guys but kind of got lost in the night after that - sorry about the snub everyone. I must admit I still wasn't on top of my game after the night before.

It was a shame because I was keen to try the Aucklanders' latte machine.

Good ride home from there and here I am.

Next year for sure as always!

FlyingDutchMan
6th June 2006, 14:01
Well I too had a great time. I was certainly warmer and dryer than last year. I did have a scare or two with the cibby - somewhere between Oamaru and Palmerston it started making loud noises, but we decided by committee in Palmerston that the noise was due to a leaky header. Sounded quite neat actually, though a little loud on the ears - especially at 9000rpm (100km/h in top). But keeping it around 11,000 kept it nice and quiet. At the rally it was quite warm and sunny, a pleasant relief after last years rain. Had a few beers, collected my pre-entry prize of a cool Black T-shirt with a maniac looking monkey holding onto a snow covered tyre with the writing "Brass Monkey Rally - Do You Dare?". Watched the bike show (highlight of a push bike failing the jump the first time). Good time all in all.

The way back wasn't too bad either. About 30km short of Pamly, my bike started making more loud and unpleasant sounds. Some of them sounding like a shot gun going off between my legs. So I stopped to check it out. The engine prompty stopped and I could smell burning rubber :eek5: But guessed it was due to a lack of petrol, flipped the tank over to reserve and started it again (eventually) and took off to Palmy. Got there and couldn't smell burning rubber any more, so either I'd fixed the problem, or it had run out of rubber to burn. Open the tank to fill it up, and could see the very bottom - I doubt it would have made it another k.

Coming back to Chch was pretty good - it didn't start raining until Ash vegas, and for a change I didn't find riding in the rain all that bad. The visibility at times wasn't that great, but I stayed dry as a bone until Hornby where my lack of speed caused water to run down my jacket and into my gloves. Can't win everything I suppose.

far queue
6th June 2006, 14:09
And that is one damn funny shot of SDU on her tippy toes on the DR...HA! :yes:
You'll love this one then - I think Lemans realised quite early that he'd forgotten to pack the stepladder.

The other pic is Transalper, Plug and some non KB'ers on the way down on Friday.

T.W.R
6th June 2006, 16:22
Just got some 35mm developed today & chucked onto disc so heres a few more pics from the rally :niceone:

1) Bikes making their way to the rally from Otaruhua
2) Looking towards main area from camp KB
3) KB misfits socialising at main area
4) Warewolf,Paturoa, & T.I.E
5) Everyone back at camp KB spinning woffle
6) Camp KB fire doing it's job early Sunday morning

SDU
6th June 2006, 16:50
You'll love this one then - I think Lemans realised quite early that he'd forgotten to pack the stepladder.

Ok I know I'm short but my feet do touch the ground- When I'm walking!
I think I provided entertainment for quite a few people on the trip.
It sounds like everyone enjoyed their trips.
It was good to meet everyone & to catch up with some old friends, Sorry that I didn't get to meet/ chat with everyone but hope to see you next year if not before.
Well being my first weekend off for over a year I proceeded to get rather fuzzy very quickly in the night (before dark:gob: ) but managed to survive past midnight before trying to catch some:zzzz: .
But the Mystery Camp Snorer (anyone here owning that one?) put an end to that. But I somehow managed to snatch enough sleep to get me through the trip home.
Love the roads down Sth, I'll be back next year for some more. It would be neat to try out a few more inland roads. (more dirt)
Warewolf & Transalp & Plug would love to see some pics of your trip home.

Hope all who went had a safe trip home.

paturoa
6th June 2006, 22:14
I'm now officially not a virgin. What a blast, for me the ride only came second to meeting you KBers in person.

I spent the 2 weeks leading up to the ride getting my gear together and getting nervous, got a bunch of new stuff including panniers, heated grip, wets, rear tyre, chain etc etc. The people at work were getting bored with me talking about the trip all the time.

Got up early on Thursday morning, after waking up about 2 hours b4 the alarm went off, isn't that always the way. I was extra careful wheeling the bike out of the garage cos of all of the gear on it. Well I was finally off, yee har!, first stop the meeting point at the autobahn on the southern motorway. T.I.E (CBR1000F) was there ready and waiting and his bike looked like it had even more gear than mine. When he pointed to the duvet I was especially happy as there was just no room for the espresso maker for me, and we had to keep up appearances. The new soft panniers have these little rain covers and one was already gone - duh!

Shayne was a few minutes late and we headed off close to 6:30. The first challenge was just over the Bombays (I hear you say "who cares, its south of ...") where we dropped into a fog that was trying to be a frost, so it was a wet & cold zero degrees for the first 30ks. Everyone had visor problems. We stopped at Tirau for breakfast and to thaw out. I was just about bursting and went for a leak There was an old GPZ900 parked by the loos and the door was locked, bugger, and I was already in the mood for a leak so the walk to the next loo was a challenge - wets are supposed to keep the wet out, not in!. Bacon & eggs in the sun and by this stage it was blue sky and warming up so the riding was looking good.

The next section was a right turn at Tokaroa and the back road to Wakamaru. I had a brief moment on a steep down hill section where I came around the corner and there was Shayne behind a large truck & trailer that was in a low gear down hill crawl doing about 20ks and I was doing about 100, threw out the anchors and lined up an escape route and stopped in time. More fog for a while, gassed up at Wakamaru, and then had a couple of icy sections thru to Turangi. What a stunning view over Taupo where we stopped for a few minutes. We then had a fantastic ride over the desert road.

Just north of Taihape I could see Shayne leaning right down on both sides of his bike and wobbling all over the road. Oh crap, not a break down already, he chucks on his indicator and coasts to a stop, no motor … dead. Anyway his new Katie M has one of those huge tanks and the reserve tap is at the bottom can’t be reached while sitting so he’d just run out of gas. On with the tap and a few cranks and we were off again.

We stopped for gas and a human refuel at Taihape but when checking the clock we would be on the edge for the ride via the Wairarapa with Maximusdemeritus which was a real piss off. I gave him a call to let him know that he could stay at work on a stunning day rather than go for a fun ride with us! So we did the direct route which ended up being a bit of a yawn. The amusing part was that T.I.E would lie on his tank bag and put his feet on his pillion pegs for a relaxed ride. We would cruise into towns and start slowing down, and down, and I’d be thinking that surely he has to take his feet off the pillion pegs and change down soon, but no, a couple of times I could see his bike do the stuttering thing as we got to about 40ks but the old Honda just kept going in top gear.

We got into Wellington with enough time to have a latte and go to the ferry terminal, so it ended up being a good call not to do the taka route with Max. Meet up with a few people at the ferry terminal and here was the GPZ900 from Tirau, and it was a mate of Shaynes.

The ferry trip was uneventful and we stayed at the Picton Lodge Backpackers. Not recommended, but biker friendly, as he was happy to lock our bikes in his garage.

Friday was a quiet trip to chch down the coast. Breakfast in Blenheim (bacon & eggs) was testing the limit of my stomach after a plate of fried stuff that was as tall as it was wide topped off with a flat white. I couldn’t eat it all but it was a mighty effort that was applauded and cheered on by Shayne and T.I.E.

Just south of Blenheim is a steep windy hill that has the most amazing amount of cow shite on it ever! T.I.E had a bit of pent up adrenaline and disappeared off into the distance at a high rate of knots. Stunning views down the coast. Lunch at Kaikoura was seafood chowder and was amazing.

After lunch T.I.E and I carved up a few twisties for ages and eventually met with light rain. Shayne wasn’t staying in chch and just kept on going. The rest of the trip to chch in the rain was quiet with several HPs giving us the look as we were cruising at 115 but didn’t do any revenue gathering for head girl Helen.

Arrived at the Dangerous residence and he told me over the phone where the key was and to help ourselves to his fridge. Wow is all I could think – you’re a good dude Dangerous! Dangerous knocked off work early and came home to meet us to which we informed him that we were then off again as T.I.Es rear tyre was shot. It was a very slow ride into town and he got a new rear at a reasonable price. Cycletreads have some powerful bike hoists as it managed to lift his bike with all of the gear still on it. Back to the Dangerous shack and Rashika was there and, D was taking her bike for a “test” ride – yeah right.

Wicked hosts took us to their local for a few and dinner. There were a bunch of KBers there and a fun session was had with the highlight being Speedygirl’s stories about body piercing.

Up early on Sat morning after more bacon & eggs…mmmmm…., and off we head, T.I.E, myself, Rashika and Dangerous. We get about 100 meters down the road and Dangerous pulls over, forgot something so he races back. Off we go again and this time we only got a couple of ks further and same again, I’m thinking it wasn’t that early and he didn’t have too many ales last night. So we head off to Rolly BP and meet up with FDM and others there. Next was a quick blast down the road to Rakaia where we stopped for a brief warm up and more people. Up pulls a ratty old XJ750 with a guy who was obviously heading to the brass with just jeans! I don’t know if he had anything on under the jeans but it didn’t look like it, either way he didn’t look very warm.

Several more stops but the pace was fun with lots between 130-140ks thru to Palmerston. Just for a change I didn’t have bacon & eggs and joined the long queue for petrol. The Pig Root was fun too and was getting noticeably colder as we headed inland. I followed FDM for a while and he was peddling on his gear lever as fast as Sarah Ulmer does on her peddly! He was keeping the pace well but I was in nanna mode for a few of the corners that looked like grit or were wet. The excitement was building as we turned left for the final run to the site. When we got there it was clear, sunny and warm WTF???

paturoa
6th June 2006, 22:14
Set up the tent, blew up the air mattress etc and then had a walk around. Bloody impressive. I met a whole bunch of KBers of note was Oldrider and Mrs OR who came for a day trip – pleasure meeting you. Lighting the fire was the next challenge but with lots of advice, abuse and lighter fluid we accidentally got it going.

I caught up with Shayne who wasn’t staying at the site overnight (blouse) and a good friend of mine, Bob, who’s tent was only about 20 meters from mine. Bob’s beemer won the Best Modern bike prize.

Checked out the sights, lamb shanks, FMX, bon-fire, beers, lake, bikes, and generally shot the shit with a whole bunch of wicked KBers.. I don’t think I made a dork of myself other than saying “yes?” whenever the words wanker, jafa, or dorklander were said out loud.

I was a bit shagged and hit the sack early into my 3 sleeping bags (no duvet!) and had a toasty sleep. Got up in the small hours for a leak and it was freezing brrrrr. About 2 seconds after getting back into my tent it started to rain. The next thing I know I can hear people milling about outside, checked the time and it was time to get up already, nah, I’ll just lie here for a few more minutes as I could hear the drizzle on the tent.

The pack and leave the site was fun? too with a guy dropping a K75 and busting off his pannier on the now slippery hill. I had and easy exit up the hill and we were off into Palmy to gas up, say good bye, and head off to T.I.E’s mate just south of Timaru. Shower, Bacon & Eggs and crayfish, bit of a chat and we were off again. I had another moment just north of Timaru when overtaking a couple of cars, I wound on the throttle in top gear and pulled out, on the other side of the road was a big tar sweat and the rear spun up and broke loose. When we got to chch we beeped and waved as we went past D’d house and got a “wave” back.

It started pissing down and got very dark and very windy as we got further north and finally gave up at Kaikoura where we found a warm place to kip. It was getting dangerous and we were soaked, cold and the rain just kept getting heavier. At one stage the wind was blowing so hard from behind that the steam from my exhaust was blowing up into the headlight beam in front of me.

Got up early Monday and went thru to Blenheim for breaky. The road was dry … WTF. It was a good blast. When we got to B, I had a B&E McMuffin, and while sitting there noticed oil drops / splatter on my wets. The look on T.I.E’s face said it all ...oh shite! I went all over the bike and can only conclude that I got the oil from somewhere else as there were no leaks or oil splatter on the bike.

Got to the ferry with plenty of time to spare only to find out it was delayed as the crossing was very rough. We eventually got on the ferry and were off, fantastic cruise up the sound that turned to shit as soon as we left Tory Channel. The boat kept slowing down as the waves just got bigger and bigger. There were people chundering everywhere. T.I.E went for a piss but couldn’t because the toilets were full of people chundering. There was lots of chat about the weather on the central plateau and the go was deemed to be Wanganui, Ratahei, Nat Park, Tauramaruni thru to AK.

We headed off north from WN at 3pm and had a slow and booring trip thru to Wanganui. T.I.E decided to kip there but I had people flying from WN to see me at work the next day so had to push on. It was dark by now and I just froze either side of Nat Park. Well it was a boring ride thru to AK and all tucked up safely at the homestead at midnight.

Memorable moments:
- watching FDM wrap himself around his bike, knees up by his ears and elbows near his pegs and peddling like crazy
- bacon & eggs everywhere.
- shooting the shite with KBers.
- FDM heading off in a pissed state to “see” the chic in the beer tent.
- KB hospitality and friendly people.
- Lake Taupo on Thursday morning
- not getting too sore riding my wizz bang
- T.I.E’s relaxed / lying down riding style in his 1 gear bike

Photos to follow

warewolf
7th June 2006, 09:43
Warewolf & Transalp & Plug would love to see some pics of your trip home.Well I traveled sans-camera, so I'm no good to you there.

warewolf
7th June 2006, 09:52
Just north of Taihape I could see Shayne leaning right down on both sides of his bike and wobbling all over the road. Oh crap, not a break down already, he chucks on his indicator and coasts to a stop, no motor … dead. Anyway his new Katie M has one of those huge tanks and the reserve tap is at the bottom can’t be reached while sitting so he’d just run out of gas. On with the tap and a few cranks and we were off again. Is that the Shayne I met up with at Hislop's Cafe, Kaikoura, having a seafood chowder on Monday afternoon? He has an '06 640 Adventure? He just needs to practice reaching the fuel tap; he's a bigger lad than me, and I can reach mine reasonably easily. That, or I've got a good 'ape factor'.

scumdog
7th June 2006, 10:46
Good write-up all you guys, wish I HAD been there, sounded like you all had a blast! - and the weather not TOO bad either.

Saw a few heading north on Monday near Kaikoura - never got any loony bikers waving this time!

Loved the 'screen' on one bike that I saw going the other way - very creative use of a dunny seat for sure!:gob:

BTW Got drenched (and I mean DRENCHED) by a large rogue wave that reared up and crashed onto me in my F100 (CB near shat herself) while near the road tunnels on the Kaikoura section of SH1, any of you guys get a little wet from that too? The on-shore wind was very strong and moved the F100 at times.

The only blessing for north-bound traffic was that they were on the 'safer' side of the road away from the sea.

idb
7th June 2006, 12:16
This is a BIKER forum SD!!!

scumdog
7th June 2006, 13:59
This is a BIKER forum SD!!!

Fair point, it IS for bikers I suppose - even for those with a bike with the reliability of a jelly hour-glass.:whistle: :shutup:

paturoa
7th June 2006, 14:37
Is that the Shanye I met up with at Hislop's Cafe, Kaikoura, having a seafood chowder on Monday afternoon? He has an '06 640 Adventure? He just needs to practice reaching the fuel tap; he's a bigger lad than me, and I can reach mine reasonably easily. That, or I've got a good 'ape factor'.

Bound to be, he only had 600ks on the bike b4 we set off. Talish guy, mo and goatee, with flip front lid?

paturoa
7th June 2006, 14:41
Saw a few heading north on Monday near Kaikoura - never got any loony bikers waving this time!

Nope we stayed at kaikoura on Sunday night so didn't get to wave.

warewolf
7th June 2006, 19:20
Bound to be, he only had 600ks on the bike b4 we set off. Talish guy, mo and goatee, with flip front lid?Sounds like him. He's got a gloss black Shoei Syncrotech II; I've got the matt black. Just too sad...

T.I.E
7th June 2006, 19:31
i have to say a huge thanks to the chch crowd "dangerous and rashika" for putting us up for the night and showing us the way. you guys rock.
also Paturoa "brian" thanks heaps for letting me tag along. and holding ya up.
was a fantastic ride through.
i just can't get over the whole trip i'm still buzzing metting southern KBr's and the ride.
most memorable moments:

1:south of chch heading in land and all i could see was the sunrise in my rear view mirriors.
2:meeting chch kbr's and bloody piercings maybe not so memorable.
3:Brians ability to keep warm. what was your trick????
4:scenery wasso dam impressive.

i will be back.

but it was wicked to meet you all have a laugh and talk crap.

paturoa
7th June 2006, 19:32
3:Brians ability to keep warm. what was your trick????

bacon & eggs!

k14
7th June 2006, 19:37
great time, good to hear these adventureous stories of getting to the brass. pity i dont have anything as exciting to add.

Met jantar at his house at about 10am on sat morning. He had kindly leant me his gs1200 for the weekend while he was going to take the re5. Sadly the re5 was not a runner so he had to take it on the trailor but he was still keen for me to take the gs.

arrived around 12 and sorted out a spot (after towing jantar and the re5 in through the gate) and pitched the tent. watched the motox guys and mountain biker (still can't stop laughing when i think about his crash). had a bit of food and then stood around the bon fire all night talking shit. had a few dodgy moments when associated with fdm but it was all good.

all in all a cool rally, good to meet lots of other kbers and good to see some dorklanders ride so far without having a crash.

untill next time guys.

paturoa
7th June 2006, 19:43
1) taupo from south west looking east on thurs morning
2) taupo stop with T.I.E digging out a cig
3) taupo shayne on left and T.I.E on right
4) wizz bang with too much luggage - but no duvet or espreso maker!
5) T.I.E at Levin after rubbing the numb out of his rs
6) kaikoura on Friday T.I.E sitting before the seafood chowder, dont know who the old chick was, Shayne speechless on right.

paturoa
7th June 2006, 19:59
1) bikes at kaikoura
2) at KB BM site T.I.E & Dangerous
3) My tent
4) looking up the small hill from the KB site with snow in background. Later in the arvo the whole area was covered in tents right up to the edge of the track in the middle. It was this track that claimed several victims on departure on Sun morning.
5) More hills and snow
6) KB flag on fence with setting sun - it got cold soon after!

Bonez
7th June 2006, 20:03
hey there about how many days wood u reconmend to have for that trip plz.....i hope to do it mayb next yrDid the whole round trip in three days from Ohakea, near Bulls in the North Island a while back without much bother. Mind you I was a bit younger and fitter then.

paturoa
7th June 2006, 20:09
1) Assorted KBers around accidental fire honing their talking shit skills. Note the wood stacked around the drum trying to dry it.
2) excessive shit talk with good hand movement to emphasise key points
3) T.I.E wishing he had more B&E for breaky waiting for the ferry at picton
4) Bikes waiting at picton
5) tory channel in calm weather - didnt get a pic of cook straight - duh!
6) T.I.E doing photos at BM

T.I.E
8th June 2006, 12:39
i passed so many ice/grit signs on the way down expecting there to be either or both, never saw any change in the road, so after passing 30+ signs and nothing happening i thought nothing of them untill some bloody road worker north or wanganui decided to put some grit down. well didn't i half shit myself.
false advertising i say.
and that was the only scary bit thankfully i had.
except the thought of losing my presious duvet.

paturoa
8th June 2006, 13:03
T.I.E - have u got some photos to post?

T.I.E
8th June 2006, 19:22
but the problem is i am short of a PC to download them onto. the work pc's wont let me load up a programme to do so. so unfortunately i am stuck untill i get one.
bloody IT dept lol.
or else it's one big paper trail to get it sorted etc.
but soon as i do they will be on.
hopefully this year would be nice.

Transalper
10th June 2006, 21:46
Love the roads down Sth, I'll be back next year for some more. It would be neat to try out a few more inland roads. (more dirt)
Warewolf & Transalp & Plug would love to see some pics of your trip home.
Some of our pict you say... ok... sorted some of them. The actual rally ones are just more of the above so i'll just post some on road ones.
1-Jules dropped the TT in a ford in the Haka on the way to Kurow on Friday.
2-Latter in the Haka.
3-Saturday in the Dansys where Plug had an oopsey on ice. Nothing broken, just bent.
4-Sunday after the Rally at St Bathans for a late breakfast.
5-Kurow and Pauls got Dansys dirt on himself after a syncronised spin with him and bike sliding infront of me. No damage.
6-Aviemore Dam view

Transalper
10th June 2006, 21:54
1-Sunday, top of Black forrest looking back towards Lake Benmore
2-Haldon for a 'rest'
3-Monday, climbing out of Fairlie
4-Road got a little mushy further on
5-A little icy too in places
6-Icy here but not as tricky as i expected

Transalper
10th June 2006, 21:59
1-Still above Fairlie kind of heading to Gearldene, some more good views
2-Jules got a flat. We wipped the tube out, stuck a patch on it and pumped it up, no drama.
3-Gearldiene for late lunch at Subway.
4-A rest stop at the rangitata river.

It was a straight run home after that.

paturoa
10th June 2006, 22:20
The actual rally ones are just more of the above so i'll just post some on road ones.

Would be good to see your site photos too

ldnz
10th June 2006, 22:21
Bloody hell thats a lot of gear on some of those bikes! Hopefully next year i'll see if I can whip the KR down there - then you'll see what travelling light really means.

Sounds like some really good rides.

laRIKin
11th June 2006, 10:45
but the problem is i am short of a PC to download them onto. the work pc's wont let me load up a programme to do so. so unfortunately i am stuck untill i get one.
bloody IT dept lol.

We are still waiting for your pic's buddy, their must be more than one PC up there in JAFFA land to use, come on mate lift your game.:nya:

I'm in rally mode and want to do it again, even went out and got a slightly bigger tent, so we do not have to sleep under some of our gear.
And smacking each other around when we are trying to get dressed.
But smacking good right?:blip:

For the CH.CH lot, Fairydown are having a half price sell out at Dress-Smart Hornby Mall.
Tent's good one's alpine grade for under $300 and clothing for the next Brass Monkey Rally.
I think that there is one more 3 man tent, but there are a lot of 2 mans tent still left.

It was all so great to hear that you Northerners had a great time down here at the rally.
See you lot next year?

T.W.R
11th June 2006, 11:49
T.I.E ? are you talking about this fella Lemans?:sherlock: :rolleyes:

note this was Saturday arvo :yes:

Good heads-up on the Camping equipment too, there's bound to be a few takers on getting new/extra gear.

laRIKin
11th June 2006, 17:29
T.I.E ? are you talking about this fella Lemans?:sherlock: :rolleyes:
note this was Saturday arvo :yes:
I do not know him well enough to recognise the feet T.W.R.
You say it T.I.E, I'll believe you, the poor tired young chap.

Good heads-up on the Camping equipment too, there's bound to be a few takers on getting new/extra gear.
And were silly enough and went back to look again and come away with more stuff.
O well it's good gear and it is cheap.

paturoa
11th June 2006, 19:02
We are still waiting for your pic's buddy, their must be more than one PC up there in JAFFA land to use, come on mate lift your game

Well sad news guys, T.I.E is no longer a JAFFA. He's moved up north of Whangarei to run a cafe.

Guess he will be needing the extra thermals next year as will be from the winter less north.

paturoa
11th June 2006, 19:13
Well, the bike got a clean this arvo, 3 hours!!!! There was this black sticky stuff stuck to the cans that only WD40 would remove. The cow shite was caked all over everything. There was even a suspicious layer of green stuff on the speedo!

Of all of rides I've done over the years that would have to be the dirtiest.:puke:

T.I.E took his wax chain lube with him and was very generous, the fling was all over the rear.

On the bad news front the clutch slave is leaking fluid. I'm seriously considerring a fully faired shaft drive for next year!

SDU
12th June 2006, 11:46
Glad everyone had great trips & enjoyed the rally.
Bet we are all glad we aren't there now! Naseby had a foot of snow early this morning I wonder how our tents would have held up if that fell on site Sat nite. :cold: Hell it's still snowing here in ChCh now.:cold: :cold:
TWR are you snowed in yet?
Love seeing the pics everyone & look forward to seeing T.I.E's too & anyone else who have some to add.
The ones off the Passes look tempting (mud is good) I might have to look into going that way next year.

Hey T.I.E good luck for your venture. :rockon:

PS Thanks for the reps people!

magg
12th June 2006, 17:00
My first Monkey! YEY! Got frozen on the way up thru Middlemarch on Saturday, but thankfully no ice etc..on the roads, as i am not that experienced with riding yet. By the time we got to Ranfurly the weather turned to be beautiful. Loved it, and lots of sun at the rally site too. Nite was pretty warm, so i was more than happy.

Coming back to Dunnas was cold again, but got back just before it started pissing down with the rain, and snowing later on Sunday nite.

festus
12th June 2006, 17:08
All been said, but want to mention the pitiful attempt the boyz did lighting a fire..........pic attached.......good meeting you all.......

paturoa
12th June 2006, 21:27
All been said, but want to mention the pitiful attempt the boyz did lighting a fire..........pic attached.......good meeting you all.......

oh site, i recognise those legs and that fire

.. like the old saying???? "Where there is smoke, there is fire!"

festus
12th June 2006, 21:52
oh site, i recognise those legs and that fire

.. like the old saying???? "Where there is smoke, there is fire!"

Well there was a lot of smoke dude!.........:blip:

festus
12th June 2006, 21:56
Oh forgot....few drama's in our group, had 4 off's all low speed, 3 on the Sunday and 1 on Monday.........2 by the same guy ....... doh! No injuries except for bruised pride............

Ice grit claimed 3 and 1 too quick into a corner........

Smokin
12th June 2006, 21:57
Well there was a lot of smoke dude!.........:blip:

So much infact it could have been mistaken for one of Cheech and Chong's partys. :doobey:

dangerous
13th June 2006, 05:54
Oh forgot....few drama's in our group, had 4 off's all low speed, 3 on the Sunday and 1 on Monday.........2 by the same guy ....... doh! No injuries except for bruised pride............

North Islanders right? thats ok we expect it :blip:
Just passed back through the aera on the way home from racing at Teratonga and the root is closed and the site snowed in, we all dun good :first:

festus
13th June 2006, 09:33
North Islanders right? thats ok we expect it :blip:
Just passed back through the aera on the way home from racing at Teratonga and the root is closed and the site snowed in, we all dun good :first:

Ha ha...........those involved have been reprimanded
Looking at the weather down there bloody lucky the Brass was not on the weekend just gone!..........

scumdog
13th June 2006, 10:55

Ahh! You forgot the 'essentials' - an old tyre, beer carton and 4 litres of waste oil, THAT would have got it going!!

Rashika
13th June 2006, 11:37
Ha ha...........those involved have been reprimanded
Looking at the weather down there bloody lucky the Brass was not on the weekend just gone!..........
Hell yeah, heres a taster of what is was like travelling back up yesterday

Pic 1: The Dangerous crew heading back from Teretonga
Pic 2: Winchester... not the way I normally see it at the Magpie Madness rally

scumdog
13th June 2006, 12:01
Hell yeah, heres a taster of what is was like travelling back up yesterday

Pic 1: The Dangerous crew heading back from Teretonga
Pic 2: Winchester... not the way I normally see it at the Magpie Madness rally

You negelected to mention that Chez Scumdog and its environs were bereft of any of the white stuff.....as befitting its title of Riviera of the South.

And we had electricity courtesy of Mr Jantar.:laugh:

Rashika
13th June 2006, 13:13
You negelected to mention that Chez Scumdog and its environs were bereft of any of the white stuff.....as befitting its title of Riviera of the South.

oh yeah...woops!
Actually had a very lovely warm couple of nights at Chez Scumdog, altho i think Dangerous was getting a wee bit frozen by the time we managed to get around all the lovely sights of Balclutha, namely Scumdogs many vehicle containing sheds ;)

Thanks heaps for the hospitality SD and ChrissieB ...I'll be back!

scumdog
13th June 2006, 13:17
altho i think Dangerous was getting a wee bit frozen by the time we managed to get around all the lovely sights of Balclutha, namely Scumdogs many vehicle containing sheds ;)

Thanks heaps for the hospitality SD and ChrissieB ...I'll be back!

If Dangerous had remembered to wring-out his wet beanie before putting it on he might not have been QUITE so cold!!:nya:

festus
13th June 2006, 18:55

Did I mention 3 speeding tickets? one of the boy's was clocked at 156kph, they threatened to take his bike and licence, after much grovelling they issued him with $400 fine for 139!........

To boot, Monday decided to take the Westport/Buller Gorge route from Greymouth, pressed for time with a 115pm ferry as it was, go to Westport to be told the gorge was out!, missed the bloody ferry too.........

The Wanganui boy's had a bit of a shocker when you think about it!........

paturoa
13th June 2006, 20:00
North Islanders right?

surely not!

If Dangerous had remembered to wring-out his wet beanie before putting it on he might not have been QUITE so cold!!

well at least he remembered it! did he have his thermals or forgot those too?

Dangerous - saw K14s write up of the weekend, where is yours?

Did you let the Kat out of the bag?

Jantar
13th June 2006, 21:46

No snow here either. In fact yesterday I was boxing up our patio extension ready for the concrete. The mixer arrived today for the big pour, so today has been concreting in fine but chilly weather. And we had power on as well. :yes:

paturoa
14th June 2006, 20:19
No snow here either. In fact yesterday I was boxing up our patio extension ready for the concrete. The mixer arrived today for the big pour, so today has been concreting in fine but chilly weather. And we had power on as well. :yes:

must have been a big concrete pour! or is the white stuff in the attached photo the snow u lot reckon you didn't get?

far queue
14th June 2006, 21:06
I was looking at this pic earlier today and thought the same, but one of the guys at work who's into this sort of stuff explained it to me.

Apparently the weather satelite that produces these pictures actually shows temperatures only, and in monochrome with lighter being colder and darker being warmer. When the newspapers, TV stations, etc get hold of the pictures they enhance them with photoshop or some such to add colour and make it look like a colour photo. So, while it looks like we've all disappeared under a layer of snow, 'tis not the case. There is plenty of snow about, but not that much, certainly not here. Mind you, it has been bloody cold, as the pic shows. It was -3.2 when I went to work at 7.30 this morning and it's 0.6 outside right now.

k14
14th June 2006, 21:13
must have been a big concrete pour! or is the white stuff in the attached photo the snow u lot reckon you didn't get?
He's right, no snow in cromwell, alexandra, roxburgh and even further east. Wanaka and queenstown did get some though. The surrounding hills have a spattering aswell. Seems as though it stopped probably around 50m above cromwell.

Jantar
14th June 2006, 22:09
Still no snow here. But I am more hopeful for some on friday.

The concrete pour was only 18 square meters, so its unlikely to show up on a satelite image.

Highlander
17th June 2006, 14:39
Weather missed the brass monkey buy a week. Get you order in early for next year.

Bit cool a tad further north than you guys Jantar / K14.

I was in Adelaide wearing a T shirt and they were complaining about the cold.
Concreting is fun in cold weather specially when the water freezes...

Highlander
17th June 2006, 14:41
Weather missed the brass monkey buy a week. Get you order in early for next year.

Bit cool a tad further north than you guys Jantar / K14.

I was in Adelaide wearing a T shirt and they were complaining about the cold.
Concreting is fun in cold weather specially when the water freezes...

Picture added.

paturoa
17th June 2006, 16:05
Jantar - whats the news with the RE5?

Jantar
17th June 2006, 16:25
Jantar - whats the news with the RE5?

I've ordered parts for a complete engine overhaul. Should be her near the end of winter.

Transalper
19th June 2006, 00:35
Here's one for Oldrider, it's a frame from my video camera on the way into Dansys on the Saturday.

oldrider
19th June 2006, 21:54
Here's one for Oldrider, it's a frame from my video camera on the way into Dansys on the Saturday.
Thank you Karl that was very nice of you.
We certainly look better with the helmets on.
Mrs O/rider really enjoyed the ride over to the monkey and back and was even talking about camping over next year!
That was until the snow storm this week! lol. :blip: Cheers John.

Rashika
25th October 2006, 11:25
Thought this is a good place to post this link, thanks to CoolcrazyQ ;)

http://www.kolourcare.co.nz/4.htm

Found a few of the southern Kbers on page 11 :rockon:

paturoa
25th October 2006, 12:11
and a dorklander doing his best impression of a blimp!

Rashika
25th October 2006, 13:45
yeah thought there was one of you there ;)

dig the mitt warmers on Dangerous ...hehehehe

paturoa
25th October 2006, 16:33
dig the mitt warmers on Dangerous

didn't he leave those at home too?

Smokin
25th October 2006, 16:48

yeah he didn't seem to get as far as normal on that first tank of fuel.

laRIKin
25th October 2006, 16:50
bloody IT dept lol.

We are matey, still waiting for those nice pic's that you took, so be a nice chap and please post them for us.

Thanks
Rik

MyGSXF
25th October 2006, 17:07

Now THAT'S one wicked photo!!!!! :Punk:

dangerous
25th October 2006, 18:54
dig the mitt warmers on Dangerous ...hehehehe

yeah he didn't seem to get as far as normal on that first tank of fuel.

Didnt relise it was national pick on the ginga day... again
them mitt warmers were mint, may have made me look dorky... dorker, but I was a warm mitted dork ok.
No i didnt leave them at home everything else but... or did I go back for them
I'll deal with you later Smokin :scooter:

MyGSXF
25th October 2006, 19:04
I'll deal with you later Smokin :scooter:

Sounds kinda kinky.. can I watch......??? :drool:

Smokin
25th October 2006, 19:09
Sounds kinda kinky.. can I watch......??? :drool:

Ewwww, Didnt you know I'm a lesbian?

MyGSXF
25th October 2006, 19:27
Ewwww, Didnt you know I'm a lesbian?

Goodness.. :shifty: it gets kinkier by the minute....

MyGSXF
25th October 2006, 19:37
them mitt warmers were mint,

Hey Dangerous.. can I borrow ya sexy mitt warmers dude..??? was a bloody mission ridin home from Greymouth.. tryin to get me gloves on me bent finger!!! :doh:

paturoa
25th October 2006, 20:05
Didnt relise it was national pick on the ginga day

you got that backwards, 29 Feb is the offical don't pick on gingas day

Transalper
31st December 2006, 13:30
Video Video video....
It's been 6 months i know, just finished cutting the 5 hours of video i had down to 1 hour. It's mostly our 4 day back roads trip there and back, with a glimpse of the rally in the midle.
Here is a 6 minute short to give an impression of our trip... DivX 25Mb Video Here (http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/9/8/208927/2006BrassSHORT192xQ50.avi). (Might have to 'save link as' or save target as')

The YouTube version is comming, but they are taking their sweet time processing my upload.

Smokin
31st December 2006, 15:39
Great effort there mate and top marks for the editing also.:rockon:

Transalper
1st January 2007, 09:47
Finally YouTube have finished processing so here is the YouTube version... and it's come out better than some for full screen playback.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/75aWrcUw-YU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/75aWrcUw-YU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

paturoa
1st January 2007, 10:01
Excellent vid T!

PLUG
8th January 2007, 19:46
Nice work TA & I still have the tail ... nicely dried now ... bit wiffy for a while though.

dangerous
8th January 2007, 20:13
yeah I seen the vid, but tell me who are the two clowns that arsed off in the begining :gob:

PLUG
8th January 2007, 20:27
yeah I seen the vid, but tell me who are the two clowns that arsed off in the begining :gob:

I was the 2nd one ... fanging through Dansy's ... hit some ice & yeee haarrr.

Transalper
8th January 2007, 20:49
...but tell me who are the two clowns that arsed off in the begining :gob:
The first one was Jules of the Plains Club. I think he was trying to scoot around the big puddle to keep his feet dry. Yea right, good one...:doh: he landed himself completely wet down one side.

dangerous
8th January 2007, 21:01

:clap: :killingme :clap: :killingme :clap:

The first one was Jules of the Plains Club. .

Gwen says 'that dosnt suprise me' :shit: :Punk:

Lteejay
8th January 2007, 21:34
Awesome vid - felt like I was there with ya shouting 'get out of it ya cows'

Rashika
9th January 2007, 04:45
ah well guess that'll teach ya.... :innocent:

The first one was Jules of the Plains Club. I think he was trying to scoot around the big puddle to keep his feet dry. Yea right, good one...:doh: he landed himself completely wet down one side.

oh poor Jules ;) ...and now its on display for all to see :shutup:
and no I DIDN'T make that comment Dangerous :nono: weeeeelll not Quite like that anyway

Damn good video thos Transalper, very impressive, I felt every bump!

MyGSXF
9th January 2007, 22:10
Good vid. Looks like you all had a good trip!! :yes:

Go Jules... :Punk:

NighthawkNZ
9th January 2007, 22:13
just some triva the OMCC had the first Brass Monkey 2007 Commitee Meeting tonight... ;)