PDA

View Full Version : Practical Defensive Riding Course Information for those on Restricted License

Gremlin
2nd June 2006, 18:44
OK, so I have done 6 months on my restricted, so I can go and do the course that will wipe 6 months off the restricted period. So during the course of my investigations, I came across some information, that I thought I would pass on.

First, LTNZ, in all their fantastic wisdom has surprised us by actually doing something we wanted. Apparently all defensive driving courses are being overhauled, possibly from the last month or so. There is now a practical component at the end of 8 hours.

Some really smart training schools (aka AA Driver Training) say they cater for motorcycles... you sit your theory stuff... and they then take you out in a car to assess your learning :weird: Brilliant idea for those of us that don't have cage licenses :no:

Passrite will allow you to do the practical on a motorbike. If you need one supplied, its extra. The motorcycle will obviously have to match what you are allowed to ride legally. The instructor will then follow you as you ride, on their own bike. Apparently you stop after 20 minutes, get a debrief, ride, debrief, etc. IIRC, the practical is 1 hour or something.

Passrite courses are 4 nights, with a duration of 2 hours a night. 2x Monday, 2x Wednesday. Information is here, and from links on the same page (http://www.passrite.co.nz/streettalk.asp). Cost is $145.

For those of you outside the main centres that Passrite can cater for (Auckland is good for something :bleh:) you would probably have to check with LTNZ or AA or something.

Personally, I think BRONZ would be even better.... but hey, that will probably be along in a few years, when LTNZ once again thinks they are revolutionary. But if this weird thing will drop 6 months off the restricted, then thats what we have to do. Will let you know how it goes, as I start on 12 June.

Sounds like a waste of time... why not just have a full licence in the first place :p

Ixion
2nd June 2006, 19:05
Have you priced a return ticket to the UK lately?

Yeh, not pleasant really...

boomer
2nd June 2006, 19:38
So where's your 'L' plate Noob?:bye:

Me? full license man... car and bike.

texmo
2nd June 2006, 21:00
just booked myself in.

John Banks
11th June 2006, 16:34
Heh, and here I was looking forward to one hour per night per week sitting in a classroom with spotty 15 year old boy racer wannabes and listening how to drive a car.

Gremlin
11th June 2006, 17:09
Heh, and here I was looking forward to one hour per night per week sitting in a classroom with spotty 15 year old boy racer wannabes and listening how to drive a car.
No, its 2 hours...

And you may not be far wrong with the car thing... the passrite application form only mentioned cars, but further questions to them, they said bikes were fine (they have a bike instructor as well - rides a tl1000s I suspect).

AA Driver Training or something wanted to send me out for the last 1 hour practical assessment (to see how much you learnt) in a ..... car :no:

danb
12th June 2006, 00:29
Ok im a bit confused... :wait:
I have done the defensive driving course for my car full licence, now I would presume that I automatically apply for the 6 months of my restricted bike licence as well rite? :blip:

I have been to the AA when I last got my bike registered and asked them if the above^ was the case. They told me that I had to do a separate course for bike defensive driving to get the 6 months off. They also mentioned passrite for the people to speak to.

On the passrite website, there is no information if there any difference in the courses for bikes and cars.

I have also sent the LTSA and passrite and email about this with all my details and hopefully will get a reply soon and see what my situation is. But if any other members can shed some light that would be helpful.

Gremlin
12th June 2006, 01:21
The theory component is the same as it used to be... Now LTNZ has finally got their a into g, and added a practical component. Naturally, you don't want to be doing the motorbike defensive one, and the practical is conducted in a car...

As for them being classed differently, I have no idea, that thought never occurred to me (as I don't have another license class anyway :doobey: ). As for Passrite, it offers the course. You pay $145. They give you 4 nights of theory, 2 hours a session. Then you apparently get homework. You complete said homework. You are then able to book your practical session. It is my belief, that the practical is the only thing different, after all, road hazzards are road hazzards.

Remember tho, a DD course has a period as such, that it is in effect, something like 6 months or so. This is an old rule, ie, if you did the course this time last year, it would never have cut time off for you this time (bit of a pisser... but its their rules)

Your other issue is the time frame of the restricted license. You have to have held it for at least 6 months, before commencement. Do it before that, it doesn't apply.

As for being strictly separate courses for cars and bikes, if I remember, I'll ask tonight, as I have the first class.

danb
12th June 2006, 19:26
Hmm..

So much for me getting ANY emails today as the Mailserver was down with the fricken power cut. :gob: Hopefully they re send the emails.

Gremlin
12th June 2006, 21:34
OK, here we go. First up, I was under the impression that all courses' certificates had a lifetime as such, say 6 months. This is apparently not true. Can't remember who, but someone tried to decline it since it was over 12 months old, apparently they have no legal ground on this. One of the people at Passrite obviously phoned up a contact to find this out...

Second. Apparently there is a portion at the bottom of the form, this is taken when you use it. As such, it then becomes "loaded" against a license, be it Class 1 or 6. Since there is a portion that is taken, this certificate is a one time use only. Also, if you went and did the course, but never "loaded" onto a license, and you obviously have the whole certificate, you may use it for another license.

This may come back to how long you have had the certificate, and you may run into troubles there, but from a legal view, I was told there was not an expiry for the certificate.

Third. There is no such thing as a Defensive Riding course and a Defensive Driving course. It is one course. You can choose how to take the practical option.

Did I get you the answer you needed??

edit: for searching.... street talk streettalk

danb
12th June 2006, 21:49
Yep thanks mate.
I will still see what the LTSA have to say since they are looking up my actual records.

danb
14th June 2006, 21:00
Ok I have received an email back from the LTSA and here it is...

-----
Thank you for your reply dated 8 June 2006.

You cannot use your defensive driving certificate that was issued in 2004 as you must have held your class 6 restricted licence for at least 6 months before doing the course. You must complete the defensive driving course again.

-----

So it looks like I have to do it again but that doesn’t matter to much (Just the cost :doh: )
Have to get in contact with passrite and get me booked in for the second time and in July if slots are still free. Hope it is still and only the 2 hour x4 courses - that was the easy part - hard part is to remember to do the homework.

TwoShades
14th June 2006, 21:43
That sucks bigtime. I've had my full car license for 2 years and i've done the defensive driving course (in the course i dont remember there being anything specifically applicable to cars).
Now I have to do it again if i want to get my full faster... or... I could just ride around like I'm on my full anyway.
Wait... I do that already!

danb
14th June 2006, 21:52
That sucks bigtime. I've had my full car license for 2 years and i've done the defensive driving course (in the course i dont remember there being anything specifically applicable to cars).
Now I have to do it again if i want to get my full faster... or... I could just ride around like I'm on my full anyway.
Wait... I do that already!

Yep - welcome to New Zealand :bash:

boomer
14th June 2006, 22:39
did one of you guys do teh course this week? A mate of mine at work said he was talking to some one there on monday evening(?)

Gremlin
14th June 2006, 23:14
did one of you guys do teh course this week? A mate of mine at work said he was talking to some one there on monday evening(?)
Yes, I am doing it, can't miss a single class, I was talking to your workmate, as were some others.

The motorbike influence conquers all.... On Monday night, I was the only one on my bike, possibly due to the bad weather, which wasn't that bad.

Tonight, I get joined by boomer's workmate on his vtr1000, a cruiser of some sort, and a 954... awesomeness!!! And what are the odds of so many motorbikers on the course at the same time?

5 at my table, 4 of us are doing it for the restricted motorbike, and one from the other table, total of 9 people on course :ride:

5 at my table, 4 of us are doing it for the restricted motorbike

And one doing it for the pies?

WarlockNZ
1st November 2006, 17:45
Ok I have received an email back from the LTSA and here it is...

-----
Thank you for your reply dated 8 June 2006.

You cannot use your defensive driving certificate that was issued in 2004 as you must have held your class 6 restricted licence for at least 6 months before doing the course. You must complete the defensive driving course again.

-----

So it looks like I have to do it again but that doesn’t matter to much (Just the cost :doh: )
Have to get in contact with passrite and get me booked in for the second time and in July if slots are still free. Hope it is still and only the 2 hour x4 courses - that was the easy part - hard part is to remember to do the homework.

Can i assume that if you are over 25 you only have to hold your restricted for 3 months before you do the course?

Ixion
1st November 2006, 17:48
Can i assume that if you are over 25 you only have to hold your restricted for 3 months before you do the course?

Over 25 there is no time restriction, you just have to do the course

WarlockNZ
1st November 2006, 18:07

there is you know ... it's 3 months ... they changed it in 1999 .. or are you saying i can do the course as soon as i get my restricted?

danb
1st November 2006, 19:06
Hmm - Another Forum Digg I see....

Well I have my Full licence now and if you haven’t already noticed I have my new ride now....:scooter:
Edit - I ended up doing the Defensive Driving again as the emails I got back stated that I had to go through the program again etc.

Cheers

Ixion
1st November 2006, 20:49
there is you know ... it's 3 months ... they changed it in 1999 .. or are you saying i can do the course as soon as i get my restricted?

You can do the COURSE as soon as you have your restricted (in fact, you could probably do it on a learners, or even with no licence at all, though I suspect they'd argue about that). but you have to wait until 3 months AFTER the restricted to apply for the full test. i.e. after 25 you have to wait a minimum of 3 months on restricted, assuming you do a DD course somewhere in there. Under 25 you have to wait 6 months before you can start the DD course, and a total of 12 months on the restricted (ie you do the DD between 6 and 12 months)

If you successfully complete an approved course, the length of time you must hold your restricted licence for will be reduced to 12 months for those aged under 25 years, and three months for those 25 or older. You must present the course certificate to the driver licensing agent when you book the practical test. If you're under 25, you can only complete an approved course after you've had your restricted licence for at least six months.

WarlockNZ
2nd November 2006, 16:51
Nice!! ..

Thanks for clearing that up for me .. i called into the AA today and picked up the form i need to sit my restriced .. lol .. i'm only 19 days to early, but i understand there is a wait period before i can do the test due to a backlog .. so i'll be booking in early. :)

Hawkeye
4th November 2006, 18:38
So! just to put things into perpective.....
My 35 years of driving a cage without an accident does not class as a defensive driving course.... ? But if I pay $145 to do a DD course for a cage, I can reduce my bike restricted by 3 months. Is it just me or am I missing something here.:slap:

WarlockNZ
4th November 2006, 18:52
My 35 years of driving a cage without an accident does not class as a defensive driving course.... ? But if I pay $145 to do a DD course for a cage, I can reduce my bike restricted by 3 months. Is it just me or am I missing something here.:slap:

Nope. you have it right, crazy huh ??

Brett
10th November 2006, 09:16
Well i just rang AA and booked in for a DD class starting MOnday at 6pm. What an absolute crock of shite. I not have to waste four of my precious nights and 170 bucks to go and sit and listen to someone who probably has no idea on how to ride a bike propery...but with any luck i may actually get a biker!

McJim
10th November 2006, 09:37
I'm toying with the idea of these courses - but it's only 3 months difference. I won't be any richer in 3 months time but I might be a little richer in 6 so do I save my $145-$170 to pay for a bigger bike or go sit the test so I can get my full licence in 3 months only to be riding a 250cc for another 3 months on a full licence coz I can't afford a big bike.

Or should I do what everyone else in New Zealand does and buy a big cc bike on a restricted licence?

Gremlin
10th November 2006, 10:06
Or should I do what everyone else in New Zealand does and buy a big cc bike on a restricted licence?
I did that... legally :lol:

Brett: you will also have a 5th session, which is your practical assessment. This is where they will give you feedback on your riding etc. (assuming whoever it is, has the capacity to test by bike)

Whynot
10th November 2006, 10:11
just started my course this week ... almost half of the class were bikers and all thought it was a stupid idea that we can't do a bike specific course ....

and its boring :zzzz:

Brett
11th November 2006, 10:25
I did that... legally :lol:

Brett: you will also have a 5th session, which is your practical assessment. This is where they will give you feedback on your riding etc. (assuming whoever it is, has the capacity to test by bike)

Bugger, i have to go 5 times. i am using the AA cause passrite could only do early december, and i cant wait that long to take the 600 out for a decent ride. AA said i could do it on bike or in car.

lukelin250
15th November 2006, 22:55
oh fuck that shit. i got a full cage licence and did my restricted youd think id qualify to have that 6 months knocked off. but no i have to pay yet more money to be a road user doing a course ive already and done and one that is pretty much all geard towards being a cage driver. FUCK FUCK FUCK

Gremlin
15th November 2006, 22:59
...and one that is pretty much all geard towards being a cage driver...
not necessarily... while there is a practical component (which is more for testing what you have learnt), the main idea of the course is your thinking, and attitude, while on the road. I don't think they claim any skill improvement at all, instead focussing on hazard identification, and reaction.

However, we start from a higher base generally, due to the fact that we always get to be on the receiving end of ANY mistake :mellow:

CookMySock
2nd October 2008, 12:23

You can do the COURSE as soon as you have your restricted [....] but you have to wait until 3 months AFTER the restricted to apply for the full test. i.e. after 25 you have to wait a minimum of 3 months on restricted, assuming you do a DD course somewhere in there.

Can someone confirm this to be correct? I wanna sit my full after three months, but want the DDC out of the way early. (only had restricted for 3 weeks.)

My 35 years of driving a cage without an accident does not class as a defensive driving course.... ?I reckon. A piss-off isn't it. AND I'm a commercial driver with 20,000 hours and no accidents.

many thanks,
Steve

Tank
2nd October 2008, 12:26
AND I'm a commercial driver with 20,000 hours and no accidents.

But has seen many in his rear-vision mirrors :lol::lol:

Matt_TG
2nd October 2008, 17:57
Can someone confirm this to be correct? I wanna sit my full after three months, but want the DDC out of the way early. (only had restricted for 3 weeks.)

I reckon. A piss-off isn't it. AND I'm a commercial driver with 20,000 hours and no accidents.

many thanks,
Steve

Ixion's correct. I did my DD course before I reached the 3 month period on my 6R. When I reached the 3 months I presented my certificate to say I've done the course and away I went and sat the full.

CookMySock
2nd October 2008, 21:34
Many thanks, Matt.

DB