PDA

View Full Version : Great place

merv
17th May 2004, 19:36
I went here on Saturday but unfortunately didn't have time to do the Motu Rd through to Opotiki. Just went in and out at the Matawai end - all sealed road. Checked out the Matawai pub and figured they hadn't heard of customer service so ate at the nearby cafe instead.

Big Dog
17th May 2004, 19:40
another motu rd on whanga peninsula

LB
18th May 2004, 05:46
And here was silly me thinking you were going to recommend a great cafe/eaterie........

(and welcome back BTW!!)

toads
18th May 2004, 08:59
you weren't with a whole bunch of other bikers perchance, we encountered a whole lot of guys on bikes on sunday morning in the waioeka gorge, ( just before matawai) three of them had their heads and torso's on our side of the road on a blind corner, very very scary, if it was you, please be careful on the twisties, that road has taken the lives of quite a few of people I've known. :doctor:

Devil
18th May 2004, 09:04
I found a great place to get the knee down...

merv
18th May 2004, 12:43
you weren't with a whole bunch of other bikers perchance, we encountered a whole lot of guys on bikes on sunday morning in the waioeka gorge, ( just before matawai) three of them had their heads and torso's on our side of the road on a blind corner, very very scary, if it was you, please be careful on the twisties, that road has taken the lives of quite a few of people I've known. :doctor:

Nah weather was so shitty down Opoutama way we left our gear drying at the camp and did a cruise in my Landcruiser on Saturday.

merv
18th May 2004, 12:43
Beautiful!!

toads
18th May 2004, 14:13
we live 1/2 an hour approx from there! I see the weather was typical LOL!, it has to be one of the coldest places in the north island short of waiouru I reckon. :)

Motu
18th May 2004, 14:37
Looks like I hafta come down for a photo shoot under a road sign.Might even enjoy myself too by the looks of it.

pete376403
18th May 2004, 16:31
There's a great road sign down Otago to get photographed by - Shag Point

Big Dog
18th May 2004, 18:01
:lol:
Obvious fake though, no one is admiring your skill and adept comprehension of balance :killingme

Big Dog
18th May 2004, 18:03
Are you in asia or howick for that pic?

Ghost Lemur
18th May 2004, 18:12

Sweet.

It's good to see i'm not the only one who takes advantage of their local GP race simulator for training. :killingme

Ogri
18th May 2004, 19:01
Hey Merv

C'mon you wuss - I've done the Motu Road in my Subaru 2WD 1600cc - scary shit - you should see the dents in the exhaust shields on the underside of the car. "Watch that feckin' rock" says Hubby - :eyepoke: "What rock" says I
:Oops: Not as scary as the Wanganui River Road to Pipiriki in a Maui Campervan tho :yeah:

merv
18th May 2004, 21:35
Hey Merv

C'mon you wuss - I've done the Motu Road in my Subaru 2WD 1600cc

Was a time problem but don't worry I will do the Motu Road sometime. It was legendary when they used to use it for Rally NZ, but I guess I'd need to stay in Opotiki or somewhere and do the round trip.

LB
19th May 2004, 05:35
There's a great road sign down Otago to get photographed by - Shag Point
Or on the West Coast - Cape Foulwind

(sorry Merv, hijacked your thread here!!)

merv
19th May 2004, 07:47
Or on the West Coast - Cape Foulwind

(sorry Merv, hijacked your thread here!!)

I haven't been around there for a while so don't know if its still there but I used to like the "Pig Island" sign on the road to Glenorchy from Queenstown too!

Devil
19th May 2004, 08:27
Are you in asia or howick for that pic?
Hah, wondering if anyone would notice.
I guess ill have to own up, shameless rip from the net somewhere.
But its tempting though. I remember when every McDonalds had those sort of toys...do they still have them? or are they too "dangerous".

:ride:

marty
19th May 2004, 09:06
Hah, wondering if anyone would notice.
I guess ill have to own up, shameless rip from the net somewhere.
But its tempting though. I remember when every McDonalds had those sort of toys...do they still have them? or are they too "dangerous".

:ride:
i thought it was chowick.....

marty
19th May 2004, 09:16
how about this road sign? any clues?

Big Dog
19th May 2004, 16:20
how about this road sign? any clues?
That sign has been posted before....... But mymemory is not that good. :moon: