PDA

View Full Version : Going racing? Here's what you need.

FROSTY
17th May 2004, 21:55
Ok so you ride pretty fast on the road and you've done a couple of track days --but thats not enough -well comeon why not go racing?
HERES WHAT YOU NEED TO GET OUT ON THE RACETRACK IN NZ AND RACE.
This isn't by any means the whole rulebook just the basic stuff. But if you do this you will pass scrutineering and be allowed on the track to have some race time fun :ride:
:first: First --THE PAPERWORK.
If this racing thing is something you're not sure of then a DAY licence MAY be an option
A day licence is just that--rock up with all your bike gear and bike ( as below)
Buy a licence for the day and race but word of warning -
Automatic availablity of DAY licences ceased in 2002
SO - call the club running the event. and confirm they do do day licences

OTHERWISE-- You need to join a Motorcycling New Zealand (MNZ) affiliated club.
Here in Auckland its AMCC. contact details are at their web site-http//www.amcc.co.nz Membership costs vary from club to club but to give you an idea -senior membership at AMCC costs $40.00
Once you have your club membership you need to apply for a MNZ race licence. they can be contacted on http//www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz
You can get an application form from your bike club or on the MNZ website A single club race licence will cost you $80.00 for a year.
Once you have your licence then you can enter a race meeting.
Again pick up the paperwoork from your bike club.

---YOUR RIDING GEAR---
You will need a pair of decent leather gloves,propper motorcycle leather boots,A one piece or two piece zip together set of leathers with no holes in them (damaged bits through the leather)You must wear a back protector of approved type--most modern back protectors are fine.
They are fussy about helmets -Your helmet must fit you correctly , Must have one of the curent internationally standards approved stickers in or on it.
COMPETITION HELMET STANDARDS:
All new helmets available in New Zealand are manufactured overseas. These are made to various standards. The following standards acceptable for helmets for use in RACE events.Road & Off Road AS/NZS 1698:2006,
Road
Europe ECE 22-04 or 22-05, ‘P’
Japan JIS T 8133 : 2000
USA SNELL M 2000 or M 2005
Only helmets of single shell construction are permitted for road racing events. Two piece or flip top helmets may be used for have-a-go or track introduction days.
Must be totally undamaged-Some minor scuffing on the paint is ok but no chips through the jellcoat will be accepted.
----YOUR BIKE-----
Racetrack preperation-what you NEED to do to be allowed on the track.
Keeping in mind the rule book is about 10mm thick with some specific rules that need to be followed for certain classes.
1) your sump plug needs to be drilled (2mm ish hole) and a lock wire passed through it secureing it by the wire to part of the bike.
2) If you have an external oil filter either the housing must be drilled and wired to a secure point on the bike. or If you have a cartridge type filter it is acceptable to put a big hose clip round the filter and wire the hose clip to the bike.
3) All coolant needs to be drained from the bike and be replaced with water or a NON GLYCOL BASED coolant -(I suggest the latter-its better for water pump seals)
4) Radiator cap should be drilled and wired to the bike.(not compulsury)
5) All main overflow pipes must drain into a catch bottle attached to the bike -that being - carbs , coolant overflow bottles , crankcase breather,fuel tank breathers and any other fluid breathers.
6) handle bars must have the bar end weights fitted or similar plugs on /in the end of the bars.
7) brake and clutch lever must have the ball end still on them.
8) Chain guard should be fitted (not compulsury)
9) 3 number boards 285wide x 235mm high must be fitted they can be rectangular or oval -one each side at the rear and one on the front of the bike -the different classes use different color number boards and numbers. It is acceptable to apply paint /stickers directly to front fairings and rear tailpiece provided the painted area is minimum size or larger and is not obscured by the rider whilst riding the bike and also uses flat paint.
You may only use 2 or 3 digit numbers --No letters. A suggestion here is to take a spare set of numbers with you in case you get someone else with your number on race day.
10) mirrors,and external hanging indicators must be removed.if flush fitting then disconnect them so they can't work
Headlights,taillights and the horn must as a minimum be disconnected.Headlight should be removed but taping it over with duct tape would be the minimum.(I would remove the headlight as most clubs insist on it anyway)
the main stand must be removed. and the sidestand must either be removed or wired into the up position during racing.
A suggestion only here --Id remove as much breakable stuff from the bike as possible. Indicators /headlights/taillights rear footpegs and the speedo.
11) treaded type tyres must be up to WOF standard --slicks must be above the wear limit marks.
A little note here- riding on slicks gives a totally different feel to the bike and in all honesty unless you are used to slicks you are better off sticking with a good quality set of road tyres especially in colder weather or possible rain.
12) your bike must have an operational kill switch and for street races (using public roads) you must also have fitted a tether kill switch attached to the rider.-You WON'T be street racing anyway if you need to read this-- you must have raced at least 3 track meetings before you can do a street race
13) the Fuel you are allowed to use varies depending what class you race in but usually is limited to comercially available petrol ie pump gas.
14) wheel bearings .swing arm bearings,steering head bearings must be up to scratch as does the chain.
15)all factory fitted split pins must be in place on axles,brake components etc-no bent nails
16) exhaust system must not direct exhaust gasses to the ground and must be of an acceptable noise level.If your bike has removable baffles secured by a bolt then the baffle must also be wired into place.
16) There are other specific rules but basicly the bike must otherwise be up to warrant of fitness standard.
There are other specific rules and Im open to correction here but this should cover the basics you must do to get out there .
For more specifics regarding your race class or possible extra setups required
go to http//www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/competitionrules/rules.aspx
Or you can message me -Ive got a copy of the latest rule book so I can tell ya what ya need to know.

That was what you LEGALLY need
Below is what I'd suggest you should have with you on your first race day.

Ok dude heres the truth--forget all the racer bullshit.
Unless ya names Foggarty or similar You are totally wasting your time spending money on the bike to start with.
There is no limit to the money you can spend on a race bike . Ie If ya have a million dollars you could spend that much.
In ascending order heres what I suggest.
1)Full engine service -Use quality lubricants. Best insurance you can invest in.Get the motor compression and leakdown tested to ensure its all kosher.
Get the rev/speed limiter removed or suckered into not working if you have one (usually if you have a 180km/h speedo you have one)
2)get the suspension front and rear serviced and set for your weight.
Theres a few guys who have a few clues on how to set ya bike suspension up for you. This is the second biggest go fast job you can do -no amount of HP is gonna help ya if your wobbling topwards the fence at 150km/h
3) a set of quality sticky road tyres -
Trust me here the whole slicks/wets thing tyre warmers is more head damage than you need at this stage--later on if you're still keen then go for it.
4) THE BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT TO LAP TIMES /RACE FINISHES YOU CAN MAKE IS ---TUNE UP THE LOOSE NUT ON TOP
Im really serious here -There is nothing gonna carve ya lap times down more than just plain doing laps and listening to feedback.
From there the skys the limit.
Hot Cams,porting,ohlins suspension.steering dampers,crash bungs,race wiring loom,big bore kit, race fairings,slicks,tyre warmers,spare wheels -lightweight wheels. -The list goes on and on.
Look in a nutshell folks first time out there is just so much you NEED to think about adding extra worries just isnt worth the hassle
Just get ya ass out there first off and have some fun going round and round.

Stuff that will be usefull

a roll of duct tape/race tape
fuel can 20l full of fuel
lockwire
spare brake lever,clutch lever,gear lever,footpegs
spare pair of gloves
spare helmet
clipboard
pens normal and felt.
tools to remove the parts above
QUALITY tyre pressure gauge
air pump

You should already have
Changed your oil, checked /replaced your brake pads,tyres in good condition ,chain in good condition
Bike is overall in good nick.

Now lets get out there racing--where there are no speed limits. No cars to avoid and no traffic cops to worry about

:rockon:

SPECIAL NOTE --When you sighn up for a race meeting you are stating you have read and understood the rules. Its Important that you know as a VERY MINIMUM the position and meaning of all of the flags
And the basic raceday conduct required.

MY PERSONAL OPINION --I would strongly suggest you do a couple of trackdays before actually racing. Theres a few reasons for this. 1)most trackdays nowadays aren't far off a race meeting in the way they are run. 2)You get to experience the whole racetrack thing with no pressure. 3) people will be freeer offering setup advice and assistance

Ms Piggy
17th May 2004, 23:06
Cheers for the info - maybe one day I'll get to this level :scooter:

Ghost Lemur
17th May 2004, 23:21
Just one question, I know the answer wont be a simple one, but just a general idea would be good.

How difficult is it to have a dual bike? Road and race. The sort which you can ride to the track, unclip mirrors/indicators, throw on the slicks and numbers and ride. Or is there so many mods etc that it's just not worth trying to have a dual bike?

FROSTY
17th May 2004, 23:30
It isnt all that difficult to have a road/race bike.Its just a pain in the backside.
Depends on the class you're wanting to race in but there is no reason you couldn't have the bike set up -wired etc -ride your bike to the track remove mirrors -disconnect horn etc throw on the number boards. and go race all day then ride home--A lot of 250 proddy guys used to do just that.
The only real problem is if you bin the bike.

FROSTY
18th May 2004, 09:33
hey lemur --all I can really say is--check out motoracers bike--its a road/racer

FzerozeroT
18th May 2004, 10:32
is what my KR is going to be, only sad part will be carrying a sack of tools to manfield :(

Thanks xjxjxj, looks like i've got some work to do before the 6th!

FROSTY
18th May 2004, 10:38
dude it aint all that hard to be honest,
Ive got a wiring tool if ya wanna come up here I cad do the t\drill and tie wiring.

FROSTY
18th May 2004, 10:39
say would it be worth having this thread as a sticky in the racing section??

FzerozeroT
18th May 2004, 10:53
i just got the competition licence application form, it expires 30th june so is that just the taupo round left? and is it on the 5th not the 6th? I work on saturdays

FROSTY
18th May 2004, 11:02
sheesh yep it is on the 5th --bloody eejut me
dont sweat the comp licence--I cut a deal for $100 I got remains of this year and all next year

FzerozeroT
18th May 2004, 11:05
xjxjxj, better edit the requirements, you also need a tethered kill switch in addition to the standard one.

I'll give them a ring then

FROSTY
18th May 2004, 11:09
Thanks for the heads up but im pretty sure you dont need tether type kill switches for track racing -its a specific for street races -public road races only and is covered under suplimentry rules
But hey Im open to correction on that one :Punk:

FzerozeroT
18th May 2004, 11:22
:not: correct you be.

looking at the rules for streetstock - 22-12-3 "in standard specification, except for carburetor jetting and external gearing" does that mean my rearsets are out? :cry:

FzerozeroT
18th May 2004, 11:25
i can't find the rules on 125gp's either

FROSTY
18th May 2004, 12:05
:not: correct you be.

looking at the rules for streetstock - 22-12-3 "in standard specification, except for carburetor jetting and external gearing" does that mean my rearsets are out? :cry:
sorry dude but yep.
That said copys of origonal peg hanger brackets and pegs is still deemed to be in the spirit of the class.
As to 125gp they run under the same rules as the other gp classes

FROSTY
19th May 2004, 12:29
If anybody can corrrect me on any of this --PLEASE DO
Im working from memory here

Hoon
19th May 2004, 13:45
does that mean my rearsets are out? :cry:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Lots of racers run questionable mods like rearsets and fairings/parts off other bikes.

It will only become a problem if you start coming in the top 5 and someone makes a protest.

FROSTY
19th May 2004, 13:51
yea i agree With HQ -
Im only quoting the rules . There can be a fair bit of difference in how its policed from sctutineer to scrutineer and track to track.
That said It'd be a bummer to rock up at scrutineering and have some officious bugger say --nope ya cant race 150 class cos its modified :argh:

White trash
19th May 2004, 13:54
Thanks for the heads up but im pretty sure you dont need tether type kill switches for track racing -its a specific for street races -public road races only and is covered under suplimentry rules
But hey Im open to correction on that one :Punk:

Nope, you're right.

FzerozeroT
20th May 2004, 06:50
the other option I have been looking at (lap times) is mod the fuck out of it and race in F3?

where are the top speeds taken at manfield?

White trash
20th May 2004, 07:35
the other option I have been looking at (lap times) is mod the fuck out of it and race in F3?

They don't take top speeds, they're average speeds.

Sorry if you thought the fastest an F3 bike did was 160kph.

svs
20th May 2004, 10:27

Why not clubmans? That's an anything goes class. I race sv650 and last time out there was a couple of 400's, 750's and 1100's and TK on his rs250. OK, so I'm not going to beat all the faster bikes, but you're still out there.

Only proviso is that if you get too fast, then you might be asked to step up a class :)

FzerozeroT
20th May 2004, 13:24
They don't take top speeds, they're average speeds.

Sorry if you thought the fastest an F3 bike did was 160kph.

No, i saw the 120kph for 150SS and thought "Fuck! I'll annihilate them" :first:

Why not clubmans? That's an anything goes class. I race sv650 and last time out there was a couple of 400's, 750's and 1100's and TK on his rs250. OK, so I'm not going to beat all the faster bikes, but you're still out there.

Only proviso is that if you get too fast, then you might be asked to step up a class

Very good idea, I've sent an e-mail to Mortorcycling NZ asking about classes and such, Clubman sounds faster than F3 though? I don't mind coming last (someone has to) But I don't want to be a hazard for faster riders.

FROSTY
20th May 2004, 15:44
dude clubmans is the class speciflicly for newbee racers
you will find that corners are the great leveller
For example--now Im FAR from fast But at pukie I had a huge battle with a guy on a suzuki 1000 and I was on a borrowed bandit 600. Sure he had me on the straights but I was able to carry higher cornering speeds.
For the record 125's carry the highest speed through corners of any class.
and the 125 race bikes are pretty darn competative in f3.
The other thing you'll find is that taupo is a rider track far motre than a power track

White trash
20th May 2004, 15:57
But I don't want to be a hazard for faster riders.

Well thought out, the speed diferential in Clubmans can be frightening. Some of these GSXR Thou pilots are closing on the straights at almost twice the speed of slowe bikes. :crazy:

Marknz
20th May 2004, 21:32
Clubman sounds faster than F3 though? I don't mind coming last (someone has to) But I don't want to be a hazard for faster riders.

Clubman can be faster than F3 given the broader variety of bikes that can enter. I'm planning on picking up something soon and racing with VMC towards the end of the season.

You should never be worried about being a hazard to faster riders. One of the very first things I was tought when starting racing in Aussie is that it's your prerogative to hold your line and speed anywhere on the track even if you are being shown the blue flag. It is the job of the faster and usually more experienced rider to assess the situation correctly and make a safe pass on you. The worst thing you can do on seeing a blue flag is something unpredictable like braking and going off the race line, 'cause 9 times out of 10, that will be where the quicker bike will be heading to get past you. Another great thing in Aussie was that for the whole of your first season of racing, regardless of whatever class you were racing in, you had to wear a orange dayglo bib over your leathers.

tz tony
20th May 2004, 21:55
While your all talking about racing dont forget about the pacific club round 3 30th May 04 at Taupo!, they have a great clubman class, also if you race in club mans you can not enter other classes.

Two Smoker
20th May 2004, 23:13
Well ive got my Membership too AMCC now all i need is my licence, ive got my forms for SS150 for the 5th of may, i will probably go down early sunday morning (very early) instead of staying the night..... Now i just need to sort my shit out with my bike :doh: (where did i put that drill......)

FROSTY
20th May 2004, 23:53
ts you mean saturday dont ya --5th is a sat Im sure
Ya can always come down crash with us in the motel room

FzerozeroT
21st May 2004, 06:35
XJXJXJ: thats what I thought about TS asking me bout the 6th as well, but there is racing on (Bay of Plenty?) so you could enter both and get two days of racing with one trip :)

svs
21st May 2004, 12:43
Although the speed differential in clubmans can be quite high, a lot of the passing is a bit more polite than the F* classes. Clubmans you're less likely to be barged out the way. I wouldn't worry about going slow - getting out there is what counts.

FROSTY
21st May 2004, 14:15
I totally agree. --Everybody is in the same boat --otherwisew they wouldn't be in clubmans.

Kwaka-Kid
21st May 2004, 18:07
I totally agree. --Everybody is in the same boat --otherwisew they wouldn't be in clubmans.
I dont. you have these 40 year old "i havnt raced in 20 years" Demons on GSXR1000's just out there to burgle clubmans!

I enterd 1 Clubmans event on my VFR400 and then thought sod that and went to F3. Spose clubmans is alright often and it is there for the very reason of getting newbies on the track safe(r) etc but man its questionable as to why half the field are in there!

FROSTY
21st May 2004, 20:56
I thought theyd sorted that out--Like if they post times within coowee of an apropriate class speed they would get politely asked to move up.
Ohh and OYY you --enuff of the 40 year olds bit. I was gonna go out clubmans at taupo. :killingme

RiderInBlack
22nd May 2004, 06:28
Need few more options in this poll. I have been on the track (Puke & Mansfeild), but only on Open Days (no race days). I have enjoyed these, special when I find myself pitted against a rider of simalar skill. Not sure if I'd want to be in a real race. My skills would not be up to it and I'm not bold enough in the corners (I need to develope bigger balls). If I had started Open Days a bit younger and on a smaller bike, I probably have given racing a go.

PS: I do admire those of you that are giving racing a go, that's why I do the odd bit of Marselling

FROSTY
2nd June 2004, 13:06
dude if ya wanna dip ya toe in the watrer so to speak you could try bucket racing its cheap and heaps of fun

Motoracer
2nd June 2004, 16:52
I'll wait till after this weekend to answer the poll so I can pick the last one.

Question for y'all btw, Do you not need particular race numbers for clubmans? I have registered as #15 for both 600cc SP and SB but couldn't get the race numbers for clubmans.

Is it cool for me to slap on the #15s on my bike and not worry about numbers?

Racey Rider
2nd June 2004, 18:36
Most of the riders don't have official numbers as far as I know. Only the really serious "National champs" types riders paid for official numbers I thought.
For most club days, just pick a # between 11 & 99 (but not 41 :whistle: ). I was told, if I doubled up # with another rider, just have some tape with which to change the # on the day.
At Manfield with the electronic timers, it dosn't matter of bikes have the same # anyway.

Motoracer
2nd June 2004, 20:04
Cheers RR!

FROSTY
29th June 2004, 08:40
after taupo I noticed that the race number thing in club racing is pretty casual. The color of background etc wasnt really policed As long as the numbers are readable it seems to be fine

Eddieb
27th July 2004, 10:26
So can I change my vote from I want to but havent yet to already doing it now?

FROSTY
27th October 2004, 08:13
I;m sure all the race guys know about it but there may be changes to class elegability in the F classes

inlinefour
27th January 2005, 02:39
but as I cannot follow the required rules, not much point at it :angry:

That Guy
27th January 2005, 07:33
I;m sure all the race guys know about it but there may be changes to class elegability in the F classes

? nope.....what?

TwoSeven
27th January 2005, 09:51
I'd like to see the orange bib brought back in for new riders, until they have passed some kind of club training thing or something.

The number of times i've seen a rider taking totally bizare lines in a race because they havnt been shown how to corner, and watching slightly more experienced novices trying to take the suicide line round them because they dont know passing technique. I'm surprised there aint more collisions than their already are.

Also, teachning new riders about flags at some tracks is poor. Waving your hand and saying you need to stop when someone waves a flag at you is not good. I've seen this happen at a couple of events so far. I would expect the flag routine should be gone thru at the rider briefing - even for the experienced riders no matter what.

Brushing up the concrete dust after its been applied to an oil spill is a really really good idea. I've never figured out the logic of replacing one slippery substance with another. Perhaps some education needs to be given to the dust marshals on the correct method for cleaning the tracks. Note: There is a reason in SS, SBk, MotoGP, other race classes on tv, you see the marshalls with brushes sweeping up the dust. - this ones my pet hate - so i'm just bitchin here :)

Kickaha
27th January 2005, 20:07
I'd like to see the orange bib brought back in for new riders, until they have passed some kind of club training thing or something.

Not a bad idea as at the moment anyone irrespective of ability can front up with a R1 or something similar and go straight into the F1 class at club events

The karts have a graduated licence system where you have to be observed by a steward to progress through the ranks and depnding on what licence you hold depends on what events,National/Island/Club you can compete at.

RiderInBlack
31st January 2005, 07:45
Also, teachning new riders about flags at some tracks is poor. Waving your hand and saying you need to stop when someone waves a flag at you is not good. I've seen this happen at a couple of events so far. I would expect the flag routine should be gone thru at the rider briefing - even for the experienced riders no matter what.

Brushing up the concrete dust after its been applied to an oil spill is a really really good idea. I've never figured out the logic of replacing one slippery substance with another. Perhaps some education needs to be given to the dust marshals on the correct method for cleaning the tracks. Note: There is a reason in SS, SBk, MotoGP, other race classes on tv, you see the marshalls with brushes sweeping up the dust. - this ones my pet hate - so i'm just bitchin here :)No bitch ahead. Have marshalled at the odd race and am shocked at how poor rider and marshall briefing is at some races. Best briefing I had was last year at the Puke TT. Worst was at a Taupo MC race meeting (the riders' brief was lacking as well). Decided that there was enough marshalls that day, and keeped away from the track. It is up to MC racing club members (I am just a joe public) to push for better standards. I, for one, am not keen to marshall without proper guide lines, briefings, and adequite senior/experienced marshalls.

ZorsT
21st February 2005, 17:10
are these rules relevant to bucket racing?

do the leathers need to zip together??

I would like to try buckets to see if the racing thing is for me or not, does anyone know who to talk to about that???

thanks

Kickaha
21st February 2005, 17:32
are these rules relevant to bucket racing?

do the leathers need to zip together??

I would like to try buckets to see if the racing thing is for me or not, does anyone know who to talk to about that???

thanks

yes those rules are relevant to Buckets,find out when the next Kart club day is as the Buckets race at the Nelson Kart track with them

nsrpaul
4th April 2005, 09:40
if anybody wants info on buckets in nelson they can call me on 035470674

mono
7th April 2005, 21:53
Just brought a bike to race in F3, so thanks for the info. :niceone:

Steve_R6R
26th November 2005, 22:31
Does anybody know where I can get a thumb operated rear brake for my '03R6 ? Has anybody used one?

FROSTY
7th December 2005, 08:35
Steve--I'D talk to one of the overseas racing forums

branco
7th December 2005, 20:21
Do you need to take a medical for the license.

FROSTY
7th December 2005, 20:24
nope no medical--just a medical declairation

kcpies
29th January 2006, 20:20
thats some good information to knows cheers man just got to by a bike that i can aford to crash now, one day soon tho.:argh:

Brian d marge
29th January 2006, 20:48
Clubman can be faster than F3 given the broader variety of bikes that can enter. I'm planning on picking up something soon and racing with VMC towards the end of the season.

You should never be worried about being a hazard to faster riders. One of the very first things I was tought when starting racing in Aussie is that it's your prerogative to hold your line and speed anywhere on the track even if you are being shown the blue flag. It is the job of the faster and usually more experienced rider to assess the situation correctly and make a safe pass on you. The worst thing you can do on seeing a blue flag is something unpredictable like braking and going off the race line, 'cause 9 times out of 10, that will be where the quicker bike will be heading to get past you. Another great thing in Aussie was that for the whole of your first season of racing, regardless of whatever class you were racing in, you had to wear a orange dayglo bib over your leathers.

Aint that the truth.
Iwas so worried that I was holding people up that I kept on looking over my shoulder ,,must have made horrendous line changes ..
in the 4 hour Iron man events * MX a real mans sport !* thats a different story ,,dead man riding ,,does need to keep an eye out .

Stephen

kiwifruit
28th February 2006, 20:30
Thanks for the write up Frosty, food for thought

Indiana_Jones
27th June 2006, 21:04
That list seems long and expensive, But racing sounds fun :D

-Indy

Hellraiser
7th August 2006, 13:09
Ok i started reading the rules for road racing from MNZ ad got really really confused, so i thought i'd ask the questions here instead.

I already have a race licence as I sometime ride at the rodney MX club days so i would assume to be elligable to enter the AMCC clubman series i'd need to join there as well.

Currently i have a 06 636 sitting in the garage gathering dust which has had ohlins put on front and rear and set up for my fat bottom, i now find that i no longer have the desire to ride it on the road any more as it is not much fun only doing the speed limit so it crossed my mind to put it on the track instead. Now all the reading material i have seen keeps going on about homologating stuff, now i have no idea what this means.

Now when i took up MX i just joined a club sent away for my licence, bought a bike, safety gear and just showed up and raced, so the question is can i just rock up with my 636 and race it in the clubman series?

Quasievil
7th August 2006, 16:16
is can i just rock up with my 636 and race it in the clubman series?

Yeah you can, have to do the scrutineering thing though, ie wire up the sump plug, filter etc etc, take the mirrors off and all that stuff.
being a 636 you can race in clubmans or F1.
Get into it have fun

Hellraiser
7th August 2006, 17:23
Yeah you can, have to do the scrutineering thing though, ie wire up the sump plug, filter etc etc, take the mirrors off and all that stuff.
being a 636 you can race in clubmans or F1.
Get into it have fun

Thanks for that
but with mx you don't have to do the scrutineering thing at least not at club level. so can you just use number 8 wire or is it those special sealed ones? and where do you get them from?

also where can i get some race fairings from?

Kyle
17th August 2006, 17:25
The idea behind wiring up your sump plug/oil filter is to stop it unwinding totaly in a worst case scenario, thus dumping oil all over the track. In MX racing scrutineering isnt as big an issue because on a dirt track you cant mess the track up by droping oil on it or gouging a groove when you crash without bar end-caps for example. As a general idea for wire your looking for 0.8mm to 1.8mm non-coated wire, something that wont break when you twist it up tight (fuse wire will problery break) As for race fairings i recomend "just fairings" in hamilton. http://www.justfairings.co.nz/ he makes good strong fibreglass race fairings to suit most bikes new and old.

bumsex
13th September 2006, 17:40
hey, just wondering wether I have to lockwire my drivechain masterlink? will be racing in clubman's (B) at manfield on 23rd. Have heard whispers about this requirement though am not sure how to do it properly.

Racey Rider
13th September 2006, 17:46
No you do not have too lockwire the chain clip. And I've not yet seen it done ether. I presume to do it correctly, you use the lock wire instead of the clip.
Anyone seen it done?
You would think that if the clip was lockwired on, the wire would rub against the sprockets on every revolution, and eventually break?

bumsex
14th September 2006, 07:19
that's what I figured. Thanks all.

Shaun
9th November 2006, 07:57
No you do not have too lockwire the chain clip. And I've not yet seen it done ether. I presume to do it correctly, you use the lock wire instead of the clip.
Anyone seen it done?
You would think that if the clip was lockwired on, the wire would rub against the sprockets on every revolution, and eventually break?

What you do is use the C Clip, then lock wire the C-Clip to the joiner link through the middle of the link, then put a good dob of Silicone on the wire to stop the wire from breaking

SN4PD
17th November 2006, 17:14
Just filled out my AMCC Membership form & Faxed it off, now onto the MNZ Competition License form.

On page 3, Racing Number Request > Road Race, I need to chose a bike class, theres Formular 3, Sports Production and Production Superbike. I assume that my Daytona 675 comes under Sports Production?

Cheers

Liam

Cleve
17th November 2006, 18:18
Just filled out my AMCC Membership form & Faxed it off, now onto the MNZ Competition License form.

On page 3, Racing Number Request > Road Race, I need to chose a bike class, theres Formular 3, Sports Production and Production Superbike. I assume that my Daytona 675 comes under Sports Production?

Cheers

Liam

In NZ yes it does I believe. See ya on the track.

SN4PD
17th November 2006, 18:48
In NZ yes it does I believe. See ya on the track.

Cheers, slowly getting things sorted for the bike, Race exhaust is going on next week, after that its going to be fiberglass fairing and smaller front sprocket :D

I'm planning on doing the last two races of the PMC Taupo Summer Series in 07.

Blondini
18th May 2007, 20:11
Whats the post classic requirement???does mine fit????

Kickaha
18th May 2007, 22:06
Whats the post classic requirement???does mine fit????

Post Classic is any Bike manufactured up to the end of Decemeber 1982 (with a few exceptions)

In the North Island they do run a Pre 89 class (Club level only) which some people mistakenly call Post Classic

CM2005
18th May 2007, 22:15
would a "slow" 1984 kawasaki KR250 be allowed in pre '82 if i could prove that the racing version won the 1979-1982 world GP 250 title?

bert_is_evil
22nd May 2007, 16:08
Once you have all of your licenses etc sorted how much does it cost to race in clubmans (assuming you pay per race)?

Toast
24th May 2007, 16:37
Once you have all of your licenses etc sorted how much does it cost to race in clubmans (assuming you pay per race)?

VMCC for example, $75 for the day of racing.

Panther
24th May 2007, 16:49

if yo vic club member its $65 plus $30 for transponder hireage (thingy that gets your times, you have to have one, or buy for $500)
so $95 for the day

Reckless
18th June 2007, 11:12
Hey guys I've read quite a few threads in this racing forum like this..http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=51961.
Is this normal for your sport.
And is it the sort of camaraderie you can expect in the pits when you do your first meeting. I was thinking of having a go in pre 82.

Oh great write up frosty! That would have taken a bit of time as well.

GaZBur
18th July 2007, 20:01
...And is it the sort of camaraderie you can expect in the pits when you do your first meeting. I was thinking of having a go in pre 82.

I can tell you that I just got back into racing in Dunedin through the Otago Club. Didn't know anybody or how things worked these days. Just turned up to a few events and found everybody was so helpfull friendly and supportive. People just came over and helped me, lent me tools and offered advice. I gotta say I was really impressed by the attitude of competitors and officials alike! Anybody down here thinking of having a go - front up to one of the events and introduce yourself and hopefully you will find it as much fun as I have. Hope you have better luck staying upright than I do though!!!

FROSTY
9th November 2007, 22:00
hey folks this info is a coupleof years old--if there are changges ive missed please gimme a yell

FROSTY
5th February 2008, 21:42
ok can someone up to date just check this is still current?

rag
7th April 2008, 18:14
thanks for the help mate. this is exactly the info i was looking for. i am dead keen on racing. as speeding fines are crippling my bank account. the only other question i have is what is generally a good sized bike to start racing on, because I have been on a thou for a while now and don't really want to miss out on the horsepower?

littlegixxer
27th May 2008, 17:00
how much are trackdays at manfield? i live about a minute from the track which is pretty convenient, i think the ones my mate does are $40?
anyway the only problem would be the suspension on my gixxer, very squishy, very divey, think ill be putting some 15 or 20 weight in it.

Toast
2nd June 2008, 21:14
how much are trackdays at manfield? i live about a minute from the track which is pretty convenient, i think the ones my mate does are $40?
anyway the only problem would be the suspension on my gixxer, very squishy, very divey, think ill be putting some 15 or 20 weight in it.

The test days at Manfeild are $100. You get a HEAP of track time for that though. I think the first one I got about 8 20 minutre sessions, and I didn't do all of them.

Benk
24th September 2008, 12:09
Whats the current standard sticker/standard that helmets need to have for road racing?

Kickaha
24th September 2008, 12:55
Whats the current standard sticker/standard that helmets need to have for road racing?

from the MNZ rule book (http://www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/competitionrules.aspx)

8-2-2 COMPETITION HELMET STANDARDS:
All new helmets available in New Zealand are manufactured overseas. These are made to various standards. The following standards acceptable for helmets for use in MNZ events.

Road & Off Road AS/NZS 1698:2006

Road
Europe ECE 22-04 or 22-05, ‘P’

Only helmets of single shell construction are permitted for road racing events. Two piece or flip top helmets may be used for have-a-go or track introduction days.

Off Road
Europe ECE 22-04 or 22-05, ‘P’, ‘NP’ or ‘J’

For International events the following standards apply.

Road
Europe ECE 22-05, ‘P’
USA SNELL M 2005

Off Road
Europe ECE 22-05, ‘P’, ‘NP’ or ‘J’
USA SNELL M 2005

8-2-2-1 All helmets manufactured, as evidenced by the manufacturers date of manufacture labeling, more than 10 years prior to the date of an event may be impounded under the terms of rule 8-2-5. Where no date of manufacture is visible on the helmet the onus is on the competitor to prove that the helmet is less than 10 years old.

Benk
24th September 2008, 13:08
Legend, cheers

gatch
10th December 2008, 08:11
a while ago a friend of mine got into bikes after i did, now he has overtaken me in skill and opened my eyes to the world of club racing, hence ive decided that asap i shall rebuild my spada and give the 250 proddy racers something to be scared about..

ahahaha

FROSTY
18th May 2009, 15:57
wake up chaos--there ya go :jerry:

true-to-life
14th July 2009, 10:02
Awesome info. I'm definately getting out on the track when finances are a little more willing. thanks for the easy access to the info and making it a lot more simple to this wonderfully complicated brain.

Drumboy4468
26th July 2009, 16:12
I was about to start a thread asking all the questions coverd. I am thinking about entering at wanganui but now know I need three race track races under my belt first? ( if i read that corectly)
Do events like the cliff hanger count? as I have done that twice ( im thinking probably not)

FROSTY
14th October 2009, 10:03
I was about to start a thread asking all the questions coverd. I am thinking about entering at wanganui but now know I need three race track races under my belt first? ( if i read that corectly)
Do events like the cliff hanger count? as I have done that twice ( im thinking probably not)
i dunno if cliffhanger is mnz aproved---anybody??

wharfy
14th October 2009, 10:55

It has at times been given MNZ championship status but has never in the 3 years I've done it required any previous race experience.
I guess as it is a "TIME TRIAL" as opposed to "RACE" makes a difference.
The runs are done against the clock so you never see another competitor (there is usually more than 1 competitor on the course at a time but well spaced)

Give it a go it is great fun, only go as fast as you want.

sinfull
14th October 2009, 11:19

Wont count Tony, but If someone were on to it they could do a late entry into Vics final round in clubbies, round 1 of the summer series, and round 1 of the tri series at manfield ! Would give them the three stamps they need to enter a street race !

White trash
14th October 2009, 13:11
Cliffhanger IS MNZ approved.

However, most entrant purchase a "Day licence" which from memory will not work towards your minimum three stamps in a log book.

FROSTY
14th October 2009, 13:42
Wont count Tony, but If someone were on to it they could do a late entry into Vics final round in clubbies, round 1 of the summer series, and round 1 of the tri series at manfield ! Would give them the three stamps they need to enter a street race !
Yea but said er "someone" needs a bike otherwise he's walking round. :dodge:

OYYY SANTA WHERES ME FUCKING BIKE :baby::baby::baby:

Matt Bleck
13th January 2010, 12:11
So 3 stamps in your race licence log book is what you need to do a street race?

Does it matter over what period of time? My first one is from the 19/06/08.

Kornholio
17th January 2010, 20:39
So 3 stamps in your race licence log book is what you need to do a street race?

Does it matter over what period of time? My first one is from the 19/06/08.

And does the 3hr Endurance race count as one?

Matt Bleck
17th January 2010, 21:28
I read the MNZ rule book and it said 3 MNZ sanctioned races, of which the 3 hour is :yes:

Kornholio
18th January 2010, 16:21
I read the MNZ rule book and it said 3 MNZ sanctioned races, of which the 3 hour is :yes:

Thank you young man, would have loved to be at Paeroa this year but the funds police said no... Will be cheering on Timmay this year :D

Matt Bleck
18th January 2010, 19:27
Thank you young man, would have loved to be at Paeroa this year but the funds police said no... Will be cheering on Timmay this year :D

:love: .

twinfin
27th January 2010, 20:43
Hi guys,
I wouldnt mind having a crack at some racing,I know nothing about where to start apart from what I just read.
I have a gsxr1000. Can I go racing on that? What class would I go in?
I live near whangarei so the closet tracks are pukekohe and now Hampton downs, is there racing for newbies there?
Any help or info on in the a direction would be great

woodyracer
27th January 2010, 20:54
pukekohe, you'd be in clubmans. Go on www.amcc.co.nz

twinfin
28th January 2010, 04:29
Thanks woodyracer. Awsome

D-Meister
17th November 2010, 18:35
Hi Guys,

landing midyear in NZ and want to get straight into racing there. Been racing in the SV650 Class here in SA this year and was wondering about race fearings, bike trailer and that sort of thing.

Also who would be a good race machie in the Auckland area?

R2D2
21st September 2013, 14:09
What is generally accepted as the best class to start road racing in, for someone with a lot of MX/road riding, and occasional track day experience?

neil_cb125t
21st September 2013, 16:29
Hi guys,
I wouldnt mind having a crack at some racing,I know nothing about where to start apart from what I just read.
I have a gsxr1000. Can I go racing on that? What class would I go in?
I live near whangarei so the closet tracks are pukekohe and now Hampton downs, is there racing for newbies there?
Any help or info on in the a direction would be great

Clubmans does allow big bikes for sure - however starting racing on a GSXR1000 really is not ideal from both a learning angle and a safety angle.

If you wanted to try car racing would you buy a V8 supercar and head out? A modern stock 1000 is very close to the superbikes that are run in superbikes, power wise there is not much difference once you put a pipe on and tune it up. So necomers head out with 90% of the HP of a superbike with very little skills.

Track days are fantastic for you to get your speed fix, but for racing and learning smaller bikes are safer, easier, FARRRRRRR cheaper and you will have more fun.....this is a guarantee. Classes that are best suited are the 250 class, or pro twin. (SV650)

neil_cb125t
21st September 2013, 16:33
What is generally accepted as the best class to start road racing in, for someone with a lot of MX/road riding, and occasional track day experience?

See my last post fella, I heavily suggest a class such as 250 production or pro twin as a MAX - MX is very different to road racing. If your in woodvillle the manfeild based series is vmcc - link found here http://www.vicclub.co.nz/

R2D2
21st September 2013, 17:25
I'm keen on starting small, just couldn't find any info online on what actual classes are out there below F3. I suppose Mini Lite 250 is the relevant class than?

neil_cb125t
21st September 2013, 23:09
I'm keen on starting small, just couldn't find any info online on what actual classes are out there below F3. I suppose Mini Lite 250 is the relevant class than?

yep and there is 250 production

http://www.mnz.co.nz/docs/default-source/rules/appendix-i---250-production.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Kawasaki EX250s

mr bucketracer
22nd September 2013, 08:50
What is generally accepted as the best class to start road racing in, for someone with a lot of MX/road riding, and occasional track day experience?try bucket racing , learn good skills ,cheap racing , cheap bikes and on once a month

R2D2
22nd September 2013, 09:24
try bucket racing , learn good skills ,cheap racing , cheap bikes and on once a month

Have done a few laps at Mt Wellington. Is there a track they race at in Palmy?

mr bucketracer
22nd September 2013, 10:22
Have done a few laps at Mt Wellington. Is there a track they race at in Palmy?wish we could race back at the kart track here but have lost it for some years now , we go to Kaitoke Wellington kart track , possably one of the better tracks around . also the hasting one maybe up and going some time soon . think there looking at useing the back of manfeild track if it gets cut off as well

playerB
25th September 2013, 11:17
Slightly off-topic but no one knows who the Photographer is/was who was at pukekohe on the Controlled Testing day - 15/09/2013 do they?

Billy
25th September 2013, 14:30
Slightly off-topic but no one knows who the Photographer is/was who was at pukekohe on the Controlled Testing day - 15/09/2013 do they?

More than likely JDAS Photography