PDA

View Full Version : Mutter f**kin reg/reg Honda mutter

sAsLEX
4th June 2006, 18:02
Yes I too have won the lottery that is a failing Honda Reg/Rec, will post pics soon but the gist

Three wires enter the rec from the alt. Two dont anymore evidence of high temp on the dangling wires and further investigation shows that the plug into the rec has melting in the same spot and so does the rec itself in that spot.

Rec fails the Haynes test but my Multimeter is dubious.

So...... will post pics soon, but a few questions

Is it possible to test the Alternator ouput? Or will i need a oscilloscope?

Pretty sure its new rec time but dont want to fork out for one of those and have it blow a week later due to faulty alt!

sAsLEX
4th June 2006, 19:05
Red lines indicate the heat damage.

Is this a factroy part? As the wiring on the bike suggests that this is not the original rec/reg, if they are going to be too expensive will get one of the power guys at uni to build me one for doz.

Motu
4th June 2006, 19:14
Scopes good,but you could look at AC volts or Hz on a multimetre?

sAsLEX
4th June 2006, 19:23

ok three lines out of the alt, do I look to ground or line to line? and any ideas on a rough voltage to expect?

sAsLEX
4th June 2006, 20:53
Oh and anyone know if there is a Showa Denso distributor here in little old NZ?

WINJA
4th June 2006, 21:06
YUP ,ABOUT 50 VOLTS AC BETWEEN PHASES OR SOMETHING JUST ABOVE IDLE AND DO AN OHMS TEST WITH MOTOR OFF FROM ALL 3 PHASE TO EARTH SHOULD BE INFININTE

sAsLEX
4th June 2006, 21:13
YUP ,ABOUT 50 VOLTS AC BETWEEN PHASES OR SOMETHING JUST ABOVE IDLE AND DO AN OHMS TEST WITH MOTOR OFF FROM ALL 3 PHASE TO EARTH SHOULD BE INFININTE

Cheers. .

sAsLEX
5th June 2006, 00:00
well the new one is going back on like this, and might move it from the stock position which is closeish to the rear cylinders and place it in the boot

Motu
5th June 2006, 10:03
Ha,ha - that'll give it some cooling.The reg in my XLV750 was jammed in so tight next to the battery there was no way it could get air,I was going to mount it at the rear with the CDI units if it gave trouble again.

sAsLEX
5th June 2006, 12:35
132.854 NZD
New Zealand Dollars
1 USD = 1.58159 NZD

Shipped from Germany! Now to see if anyone in NZ can get close to that price!

R6_kid
8th June 2006, 11:34
winja bet me to it. Cost me $255 to get one coil of my stator rewound :gob: So was thankful that it didnt fuck the reg/rec too or i would be poor til the end of the year.

vifferman
8th June 2006, 11:42
Red lines indicate the heat damage.

Is this a factroy part? As the wiring on the bike suggests that this is not the original rec/reg, if they are going to be too expensive will get one of the power guys at uni to build me one for doz.
Yes.
"SH" is Shindengen, who make R/Rs for Honda (and Ducati, and some other brands).
Output from Stator (alternator) should be 50-65V about 5k rpm from each wire, with the neg lead of the multimeter grounded to the frame of the bike.

EDIT: Oh - I see you've got it sorted.
The first heavy duty R/R I bought cost ~$200 (from Spectrum, via Eurobike), the second about $300 from Mt Eden MC.

The fan won't help much, but moving the R/R is a good idea.

bungbung
8th June 2006, 11:55
Have alook at this page. I replaced my VTR reg/rec with one from a GSXR600 for AUD$120 from Victorian Mcycle wreckers.

http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/bikes/honda/reg_replace.html

vifferman
8th June 2006, 12:18
Here's a link to the work I did on my VFR750's R/R and wiring:
http://community.webshots.com/album/35458602cOCSNv

And here's a pic of my VTR's old R/R:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34263&d=1149725401

And the replacement:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10026&d=1115352302

klyong82
10th June 2006, 21:14
Did you buy it from an ebay seller called Lichtmaschinenregler_de? I bought one off him a month ago for US$61.95 including postage. Works out to be just about NZ$100. Still it is cheaper than Honda NZ charging $362.50 for a brand new one.

sAsLEX
10th June 2006, 22:21
winja bet me to it. Cost me $255 to get one coil of my stator rewound :gob: So was thankful that it didnt fuck the reg/rec too or i would be poor til the end of the year.

lazy barstard the wire is about 20 bucks to do the whole thing. ITs only a few thousand turns on each pole!