PDA

View Full Version : KR 150 fuel/oil economy

ldnz
4th June 2006, 20:47
Hey,
I've been getting an average of 160km's per tank (9litre) and a best ever nana town driver result of 210km's, and im currently burning 2 stroke at the rate of a litre per 1000km, maybe slightly less. Is this average for a KR, or a 2 stroke in general? What are others getting? Its a 2003 model, i've put 23000 of its 24000kms on it in the past year and it still seems to be running pretty much as well as ever. It doesn't smoke except when ice cold, as expected. I used to burn about half as much oil.

How is the oil feed adjusted? What is the reference for it? Is there a service manual for these bikes available?

Cheers,
Ben

Str8 Jacket
4th June 2006, 20:52
I get around 140-160 k's per tank, though I think i'd get another 200+ k's out of my oil. This may be cause I mainly commute on mine.... When I was out riding every weekend and during the week and thrashing the bike a bit more it did burn through the oil alot faster.

sefer
4th June 2006, 21:33
Are you guys using your gauge? Sounds like it cause I get more like 220 to a tank, usually before hitting the reserve (though not always), I think 260 with 99% of my reserve was the best number so far.

Oil at about 1000k to the litre sounds about right thou, maybe slinghtly less.

On the topic of the Krr and gas I suggest all krr owners check out their fuel gauge senders next time you do a service, as they seem to have a tendancy to leak. Mine has been, and while there is a catcher/overflow hose provided for the issue (obviously a know problem from the factory) mine had obviously leaked enough to bypass this onto the top of my air cleaner box. Nothing major, we're talking drops here, not torrents, but any leak is a pain in my book :)

ldnz
4th June 2006, 23:13
I consider the gauge to be a waste of weight. I always run onto reserve. I was talking to RG100 today about it and he said he was consistantly getting 220+ as well, and about half as much oil. I'll pop the tank off tomorrow and have a look for leaks.

Im not too worried about the oil consumption, but if there is anyway I could improve the fuel economy that would be a major plus. Its not just about driving quieter, as with 150cc's we don't have much room for that.

Does everybodies temp gauge consistently read zero? I know that some of the KR's (mine included I think) didn't have thermostats, and if the engine was always running cold surely that would hinder efficiency? Im thinking of taping half of the radiater over and seeing if I can run a tank or two through with the temp reading half way, and see if that makes any difference.

Jamezo
5th June 2006, 11:09
that's bugger all oil consumption. KRs must be set up differently, I use at least twice that.

I also get the temp gauge hardly ever poking it's head above the white line during commuting etc. Don't worry about what it's reading, it doesn't have any kind of active cooling, and it won't be cold enough to hinder efficiency.

To get it to see higher up on the gauge, ring it out through some low speed twisties. You'll see some higher readings soon enough. If you don't, it might be bung....

ldnz
5th June 2006, 13:04
Na I can't get it to move at all. The only time its ever come up was when I got completely boxed in in auckland once. Sat idling for about 10 mins and it came up half way.

The radiator is pretty bloody large on the KR's, it catches lots of air at any speed.

Sketchy_Racer
5th June 2006, 14:43
I've got 1/3 of my radiator blanked off.

It keeps fouling the plugs because it is running too cold otherwise.

Oh and the temp guage still don't move a bit!

ldnz
5th June 2006, 16:06
Ahh! go figure. I just blanked off about that on mine and fed it more herbs than the typical italian meal. It seemed to run quite differently - It idled higher, had a lot less vibration in the higher revs, and the 6500/7000 rpm transition that used to be quite hesitant in low revs was pretty much gone.

The temp gauge visibly moved, coming up to the edge of the white when at max rpm and dropping only a mm or two when it wasn't revving. It was good to see that it does actually work.

sefer
5th June 2006, 18:22
I consider the gauge to be a waste of weight. I always run onto reserve.

Yeah if I was to rely on my gauge I'd be filling up every 100k or so...

Does everybodies temp gauge consistently read zero? I know that some of the KR's (mine included I think) didn't have thermostats, and if the engine was always running cold surely that would hinder efficiency? Im thinking of taping half of the radiater over and seeing if I can run a tank or two through with the temp reading half way, and see if that makes any difference.

I've only seen my gauge move more than the very bottom of the scale once, and that was going pretty hard out in some twisties.

I've tried blocking off over half my radiator for around town use and it made very little diference. Let me know how you get on with blocking yours :)

Str8 Jacket
5th June 2006, 18:26
I had some duc tape over one side of my radiator for awhile over summer and the temp gauge worked ok I suppose.... Funny thing is it now seems to work without the ductape on it as well. In the mornings when I warm up the bike it shoots up a little and by the time im at work its moved up a little bit more. When I end up stuck in traffic the temp guage can shoot right up almost to the top and go right back down once I start moving. Dont know if what its reading is particuarly accurate though?

ldnz
5th June 2006, 20:36
Na im more worried about how it moves rather than what its pointing at. I've noticed it shoots down really quickly, and to my thinking thats a sign that the cooling system is way too efficient. Certainly today things felt a lot different, but thats pretty subjective and who knows I could have imagined it. I'll let you know once i've run a few tanks through it.

Rosie
6th June 2006, 08:38
I hit reserve after about 180k's. I've run out of reserve at 220. 1 litre of oil every 1000k's sounds about right, but I don't take much notice of how much it's using, I just top it up every now and then.

The fuel gauge is pretty crappy, mine reads empty after I've only used 4l of fuel, so I've given up on it and only go off the tripmeter.

I've had a reading off the temperature gauge once - it was a nice hot day in March, and I was riding along about a kilometer of gravel in first, slipping the clutch a lot and generally being nervous, and the gauge only just got out of the blue zone.

Sketchy_Racer
6th June 2006, 14:07
`lol,

It sounds like i got the good one.

Heres a trick,

the fuel guage only is accurate when it is on the side stand.

but i also use the Kms to rely on too.

Rosie
6th June 2006, 14:50
the fuel guage only is accurate when it is on the side stand.

When the bike is on the side stand, it's just as easy to open the cap and peer inside to see how much fuel it has. I'm of a nervous disposition, so I fill it up fairly frequently anyway.

I think my bike was assembled on a Friday afternoon, it seems to have no end of funny little problems. At least I'm learning about bike maintenance while I'm learning to ride.

Str8 Jacket
6th June 2006, 14:53
I think my bike was assembled on a Friday afternoon, it seems to have no end of funny little problems.

No no, its a 2 stroke. Those "problems" are really your bikes personality, cause dont you know all 2 strokes have personalities... When they're in a good mood there fine, but when there shitty they wont start! Hmmm, just like us females really! :blah:

Ixion
6th June 2006, 14:58
And when they're in a REALLY bad mood, they won't stop!.
Seriously , this can happen with a two stroke! Motor just revs and revs and revs, won't stop even if you turn the key off!.

Str8 Jacket
6th June 2006, 15:02
And when they're in a REALLY bad mood, they won't stop!.
Seriously , this can happen with a two stroke! Motor just revs and revs and revs, won't stop even if you turn the key off!.

Really? I have mine do this when its been raining but switching it of usually just kills it. Why does it do that?

Rosie
6th June 2006, 15:03
No no, its a 2 stroke. Those "problems" are really your bikes personality, cause dont you know all 2 strokes have personalities... When they're in a good mood there fine, but when there shitty they wont start! Hmmm, just like us females really! :blah:

Yeah, she's the teenage drama queen of bikes; petite, young, pretty, simple, but still a hell of a lot of trouble sometimes.

At first I was told that there was nothing wrong with the bike, and I would "just get used to it". But after various broken cables, fuel leaks, engine stopping at 60km/h etc, he-who-knows-more-than-me agrees that we should get someone to look at it.
It's got a murky past too. The bike shop says that it is a used import, because of where the VIN plate is attached etc, but the ownership papers say it was NZ new.

Ixion
6th June 2006, 15:08
,, Why does it do that?

Well, if you had ANY sensitivity AT ALL, you wouldn't need to ask that! No , there's NOTHING wrong, it's FINE, just FINE.

(Seems to happen once a month on some two strokes ! :rofl:)

Str8 Jacket
6th June 2006, 15:09
Yeah, she's the teenage drama queen of bikes; petite, young, pretty, simple, but still a hell of a lot of trouble sometimes.

At first I was told that there was nothing wrong with the bike, and I would "just get used to it". But after various broken cables, fuel leaks, engine stopping at 60km/h etc, he-who-knows-more-than-me agrees that we should get someone to look at it.
It's got a murky past too. The bike shop says that it is a used import, because of where the VIN plate is attached etc, but the ownership papers say it was NZ new.

lol!
hmm, sounds like I was really lucky with my bike. Only had one (lady) owner who only used it for communting - she only did 20 000 k's in the 4 years she had it!! Ive had no major problems with mine, doesnt want to start sometimes but will crash start fine. All other problems have been cosmetic and caused by myself, DOH!

Str8 Jacket
6th June 2006, 15:09
(Seems to happen once a month on some two strokes ! :rofl:)

LMAO! Cheeky sod, bling gained and awarded! :blip:

Rosie
6th June 2006, 15:46
Well, if you had ANY sensitivity AT ALL, you wouldn't need to ask that! No , there's NOTHING wrong, it's FINE, just FINE.

So it might run better if I bought it some flowers and took it to an expensive restaurant for dinner?

imdying
6th June 2006, 15:57
You could get a white singlet and beat it up if it doesn't behave... cheaper than dinner and a movie :lol:

Sketchy_Racer
6th June 2006, 16:08
I think my bike was assembled on a Friday afternoon, it seems to have no end of funny little problems. At least I'm learning about bike maintenance while I'm learning to ride.

hahaha.

Yeah i think mine is the same!.. Nuts and bolts rattle loose, chain has a HUGE tightspot

IRC tyres dont offer much grip, and don't last long either.

My back will be lucky to see 9000!!

Rosie
6th June 2006, 16:18
IRC tyres dont offer much grip, and don't last long either.

My back will be lucky to see 9000!!

Oh. Mine have done about 13k and are ok. And the outermost 20mm each side is as good as new. :blip:

But I'm not young and male, so I probably have a slightly different riding style to you.

Apparently I should get some new tyres anyway. I've been told which ones, but I forget. Might get the rims powdercoated dark grey while I am at it. White is too hard to keep clean.

sefer
6th June 2006, 16:27
Meh, I've given up cleaning my rims, bar when I get oil from the chain on the rear, just too much of a pain in the arse, perticularly since last time I did it I had the brilliant idea of lubing my chain after cleaning the rims... :sweatdrop

Rosie
6th June 2006, 16:29
You could get a white singlet and beat it up if it doesn't behave... cheaper than dinner and a movie :lol:

And tell people that it got scratched when it walked into a doorframe?
But seriously, I probably do need to thrash it more than I do now.

Sketchy_Racer
6th June 2006, 16:31
Oh. Mine have done about 13k and are ok. And the outermost 20mm each side is as good as new.

But I'm not young and male, so I probably have a slightly different riding style to you.

Apparently I should get some new tyres anyway. I've been told which ones, but I forget. Might get the rims powdercoated dark grey while I am at it. White is too hard to keep clean.

Yes i believe that we 'may' have slightly different riding styles :lol: ;)

Definatly do the rims!! Look better and are easier to keep clean (well they hide the shit )

Meh, I've given up cleaning my rims, bar when I get oil from the chain on the rear, just too much of a pain in the arse, perticularly since last time I did it I had the brilliant idea of lubing my chain after cleaning the rims...

Yep go dark charcoal, MUCH much better. ( I may be biased )

imdying
6th June 2006, 16:41
Yah, 2 strokes respond well to being caned. You don't necessarily have to go ape on it, but defnitely get some full throttle near redline action on a regular basis.

ldnz
6th June 2006, 17:40
Really? Mines been fine. I've never had a problem starting it, nor any random problems/breakdowns. Its done quite a few k's in the past year (24000) but been serviced every 5000.

Rosie
7th June 2006, 09:18
Really? Mines been fine. I've never had a problem starting it, nor any random problems/breakdowns. Its done quite a few k's in the past year (24000) but been serviced every 5000.

Mine has been an absolute nightmare of late. So I was going to take it to a mechanic friend after work to get it checked (and it's due for a 12k service anyway), but it stopped and wouldn't start again on the way to work. I left it at the motel it stopped outside, and, if previous experience is anything to go by, I'll go back later this morning and it will start fine.

Why can't Toyota make motorbikes?

Str8 Jacket
7th June 2006, 09:22
Checked your spark plug lately Rosie? Mines only a bitch when the spark plug needs replacing...

Ixion
7th June 2006, 09:33
Yes, first rule if a two smoker is sulking, new spark plug. Even it the old one looks perfect. Also, no disrespect, but newish rider, female, maybe you are being too nice to it. You gotta treat them rough, wring its neck (I am serious here - two smokers need to be ridden hard, really thrashed, every so ofte).

ldnz
7th June 2006, 10:19
Having seen the black rims on RG100's, i'm quite happy with the white. Even dirty they looked better! My bike gets caned all the time. I've taken it to auckland about 5 times, and at one stage I was doing a daily commute between tauranga and auckland. Only problems I ever had was when there was wind... pegs hitting the ground while travelling in a straight line across the desert road...

Sketchy_Racer
7th June 2006, 16:03
i'm quite happy with the white. Even dirty they looked better!

Naaaaa

NO WAY !

Racey Rider
7th June 2006, 19:02
Yes Way! :yes:

White wheels are cool. Keeping them clean is all part of appreciating your machine.
a Speical 'Bonding' time that allows you to cast an eye over all aspects of your bike to check all is well. :love:

I got 136km from full to res on the one road run I did, traveling @ ave 110km/h.

ldnz
7th June 2006, 19:23
Fully agree. And you can hardly get into a "my bike looks better than yours" Mr Cabletie fairings!

Sketchy_Racer
7th June 2006, 20:36
lol funny you mention that,

My friends nick named the bike 'Zippy' after all its zip ties!!

Now im gonna have a raffel and see who can guess how many Zip ties are holding it together!!

Sketchy_Racer
7th June 2006, 20:37
THE WHITE STILL SUCKS....!! lol