PDA

View Full Version : Grand old Motu.

Motu
18th May 2004, 08:30
OK,that's 1000 posts in one year - time for my report.

I don't know how I got here,but it was the time of the ''great exhaust debate'' parts one and two,then a couple of revisiteds.I wasn't too impressed,this was a totaly sportsbike forum and they were all involved in their heads down and up arse game,no interest for me at all.

Well,maybe I'll stay and shake em up a bit eh? I wanted to see a motorcycling site that truly reflected New Zealand and the hard case bunch of idiots we are.I had been on the ADV site for awhile and liked that no holds bared style.Something like a workshop lunchroom,a pub or a bunch of guys bullshitting at a barby - arguing about things they know nothing about,laughing at the guy who spilt sauce on his shirt and complaining that the steaks are too fucking thick.

We needed riders who didn't ride sports bikes,who had more experiance than going to a track day and thinking they were racers,motorcycling is much,much more than just going fast and the type of bikes out there reflects that.In the old days you bought a bike and bent it to your needs,now you can go out and choose between bikes that are specifically aimed at your particular branch of our ''sport''.I wanted people to talk about the great ride they had today,show some photos they took while they were out,to bring their enthusiasim for the rest of us to experiance - to me riding is a solitary experiance,but I need to talk about it to someone,my cat got run over....the keyboard is a poor substitute and doesn't purr,but it'll do.

I think we are getting there,slowly - still not many dirt riders,but there are people here who ride cruisers,BMWs,lot's of diferent bikes,we have learners...of all ages,women,religious cranks,cops,queers and a guy who wears a tigers suit.Social activities are being organised and members of the board are meeting each other in person - and being surprised that they are neat people too,hey amazing eh.

I gotta go to work now,but I've enjoyed my year and hitting the grand in posts,let's see if I can do it again.

Hitcher
18th May 2004, 08:42
Congratulations on your big X Motu. I hope you keep winding us all up for a while to come!

toads
18th May 2004, 08:55
congratulations Motu, you always post good sense and good humour, thankyou!

bungbung
18th May 2004, 09:31
Motu, It's interesting and entertaining to hear a different perspective on biking. Keep it up.

Milky
18th May 2004, 11:45
amen to that brother..... love your input to this site motu, hope you keep at it for days if not weeks to come :msn-wink:

merv
18th May 2004, 12:31
Well you've been here a month less than me and you've posted 200 more comments so you have gone OK.

I guess being of similar generation I was used to riding bikes anywhere and doing anything on them. I went 25 years before I bought the VFR to have a true road bike. Before that I just rode my dirt bikes anywhere including on the road and still insist on having a road legal dirt bike. When I was at Uni in ChCh I concerned some of the Uni Motor Club guys when I turned up to one of their race days at Ruapuna and promptly raced my Honda dirt bike around the track on knobblies. No worries eh! I've just got back from 4 days staying at Opoutama with my brother and we rode all over Mahia Peninsula and around there and I like to have a registered and warranted machine even if all the locals up there don't.

You said you wanted to see photos and I hope I've shown you a few of interest. I cheated on Saturday as the weather packed in bad so we went to Motu in my Landcruiser while our gear was still drying from Friday back at the camp.

I hope I catch up with you some day. Chances are if you did some of the earlier adventure rides we have met without knowing it then and besides you are riding Brian's bike (XLV) and he knows me so that must be good enough.

Congrats for your 1,000 posts.

Coldkiwi
18th May 2004, 12:59
on ya motu. Your input on WoF issues is most appreciated (well, at least by me anyway).

Oscar
18th May 2004, 14:08
Motu, ya grumpy old shit - are you too skeered to hang out at ADVRider anymore?

Whanga at the end of June?

Motu
18th May 2004, 14:32
Still go there - but JMs kinda weird now and moves too fast for me to keep track,4 page threads off the main page before I can see them.Enda Junes cold and wet - is this for tuff guys?

Oscar
18th May 2004, 16:15
Still go there - but JMs kinda weird now and moves too fast for me to keep track,4 page threads off the main page before I can see them.Enda Junes cold and wet - is this for tuff guys?

We'll keep a helicopter on stand by for you...

LB
19th May 2004, 05:40
Congrats on the 1000 postings Motu. Looking fwd to another 1000!

And yep, it's a great site. Just like life, and riding bikes.