PDA

View Full Version : A small bike on a big adventure

phoenixgtr
5th June 2006, 17:12
My little Fixxer and I went on our biggest adventure yet this weekend. We travelled to Napier for the long weekend.

I went along with 2 car loads of mates, whom I met up with at points along the way (I had to leave them behind). Had a beautiful ride up on Saturday. It was fairly sunny all the way and not too cold. The ride back this morning, however, was a slightly different story. We had to be back in Welly by 12 for my mate to catch his flight, so we left Napier at 6.30 in the morning. Damn it was cold!! The road was wet all of the way, but not raining. Didn't hit rain until the Takas!! Damn it!! The best part of the ride. I can safely say I don't really want to ride the Takas in the wet on that bike again. Shes a bit slippery!!

I absolutely loved the ride though, both there and back. The fixxer went so well. It cost me about $50 in petrol. My biggest issue with it, though is the lack in top speed. Due to a fairly persistent head wind on the way back I couldn't get past 120, which is extremely frustrating, especially when trying to overtake. I'm pretty sore now too.

Never let anyone tell you your bikes too small!! But I have to admit, I can't wait til I get a bigger one and I'll be planning my next big ride for that day.

Madness
5th June 2006, 17:19
Good on ya Bud. I'm envious of your fuel bill.

Did you go up Highway 50 through Tikokino? Nice road that one. Any headwind on the Takapau Plains can cause a sore neck after a while as I found out on an old GSX a few years back.

I had thought about doing a similar ride this weekend too, alas I had too many bloody bills to pay. Settled for a run around the block on Saturday arvo, was a nice day to be out riding.

Maha
5th June 2006, 17:27
Excellent Pheonix, any ride is a good ride really aye?
Only managed a ride down to Auckland on Staurday to deliver a bike that we sold then spent the rest of the weekend up at the beach in our mobile beach house.....or caravan as some would put it.....:blip:

Ixion
5th June 2006, 17:38
,,! The road was wet all of the way, but not raining. ,, My biggest issue with it, though is the lack in top speed. Due to a fairly persistent head wind on the way back I couldn't get past 120, which is extremely frustrating, especially when trying to overtake. I'm pretty sore now too.

Never let anyone tell you your bikes too small!! But I have to admit, I can't wait til I get a bigger one and I'll be planning my next big ride for that day.

Ahem. Uh, the speed limit is, ah, um ? And on wet roads?

yungatart
5th June 2006, 18:11
Nice ride... yeah it was pretty cold here today... you shoud have looked us up.. there is always a warm welcome and hot coffee at the house of MSTRS, yungatart and hxc as many a kber can attest to ..

TonyB
5th June 2006, 18:15
I imagin the 'Takas would be a bit slippery- wasn't it snowing up there at times today? So did Paul make his flight or is he gonna owe us some pizza's at work tomorrow? Rep for good tales of drunken stupidity on his part ;-)

Str8 Jacket
5th June 2006, 18:32
Good on ya mate! Thats a loong ride on a tiny bike, kinda puts me to shame... You must be developing some good skills there now!

Sketchy_Racer
5th June 2006, 18:49
brave, brave man!!

diggydog
5th June 2006, 20:23
Hey well done mate, especially on a 150cc and going over the taka's, which i've done many times. The furthest ive been on a small bike (honda cl 175 cc semi trail) from welly to mt maunganui return trip. this bike did over heated only once, i let cool four about five minutes,but do'nt remember how much petrol took there and back,as you done very well on $50. so good luck for your next bike.:scooter: :bye:

OMG
5th June 2006, 20:30
Top stuff dude, I think that bike deserves a DB :apint:

Hitcher
6th June 2006, 09:59
The first of many expeditions, I suspect. You'll be doing a Grand Challenge before you know it!

phoenixgtr
6th June 2006, 10:40
Cheer guys.

I really loved it.

MAX - we just stuck to the main road. None of us had been past Masterton before so we thought it was safest and yeah, I had a pretty sore neck by the end of it.

Ixion - It's pretty hard to pass cars without going a little over the speed limit :D

yungatart - Sorry, I didn't think to look you guys up. Being the only biker in the group, I kinda had to stick with the others. Maybe next time.

Tony - Yeah, Paul made it, but you should have seen him by now. Sadly, there aren't really any drunken stories to be told. We were all a bit tame on this trip. The takas were very slippery. I had one scary moment. I obviously took a corner slightly too fast because as I leaned over my rear tyre lost grip and slid sideways a fair distance. Managed to keep it upright and rode the rest of the hills like a nana. Might have been diesel, but I didn't see any.

Hells - It doesn't put you to shame. You could do that!!

diggydog - Welly to the mount!! Thats a hell of a long way on a 150!!

OMG - Yep, it'll be getting the wash of it's lifetime this weekend

Hitch - I don't know about a Grand Challenge but I definately want to go on more of these rides.

Wasp
6th June 2006, 17:58
Top notch riding!

im sitting here wondering how sore my neck would be i had had come with you....... naked bike + my ego telling me to ride infront = VERY sore i imagine...