PDA

View Full Version : Bike down and car just drives by..(WTF)..?

terbang
5th June 2006, 17:16
Rode down SH-22 from Puke to Ngaruawahia in company with Blairos (VTR-250) and a friend of ours (SV-1000) who is not a KBer. Had a great ride down with lots of little lessons on slippery roads ETC.. Anyway The return trip from Naggers up the western side of the river to Huntly and then Heatherington road to Join SH-22 planning to meet Blairos for lunch in Mercer. Blairos had had his share of demanding roads and wisely elected for SH-1 return (he's a smart boy that one and knows his limits).
After an assertive ride along Heatherington Road, with myself in front, I was slowing downhill towards the intersection of Heatherington and 22 (thru about 80 kays) when a barely perceptable nudge from behind and the awfull crashing sound of fairing and casings going down onto seal heralds my poor SV riding friends day being rapidly spoilt. looks like he had a little dreamy survey of the countryside and when he got is mind back on the job I was rapidly filling his visor as I slowed for the intersection that he wasn't yet aware of.
He hit the picks whilst fixating on me and his front wheel hit my rear and then he lowsided and his day was fucked. Turning around I am faced with his SV lying in the middle of the road (pissing fuel and oil) with him lying on his side obviously in some pain. The standard Q & A and inspection indicated that he wasn't going to die but was a bit bent and twisted with minor grazing and was rather freaked out by his experience. At this stage a station wagon comes down the hill and all 4 rubbernecking ocupants (oldies) are treated to a bright red bike lying on its side with a growing pool below it, bits of assorted glass littering the road and a fully clad rider still lying on the road with his mate tending to him. I had the Hazard warnings on my Busa going and they just drove around the SV and kept on going..! Fucking unbelievable, I just don't understand the mentality and where is NZ society heading..?
Cutting a longer story short, both the Rider and the Bike will live to ride another day and there have been a lot of lessons learned about group riding ETC.. As for that miserable bunch of low life, cock sucking wrinkleys, well I just hope they are not representative of other elderly people on our roads as, lucky for Mr SV, the scenario could have been a lot worse in an area with no cellphone coverage.

Mr. Peanut
5th June 2006, 17:19
FFS, what is this, America? Some people just have no idea... FFS :mad: :brick:

Pixie
5th June 2006, 17:35
I think you'd be more likely to get help in the US

Ixion
5th June 2006, 17:41
Isn't it an offence to fail to stop and render assistance?

Don't suppose you got their rego?

justsomeguy
5th June 2006, 17:41
Some people:wait:

Anyway, glad to know you guys are ok. Hope the damage is not too bad.

JSG

chanceyy
5th June 2006, 17:43
of our society, ppl these days do not want to get involved, unsure of what will happen if they do.

Can kinda understand elderly ppl from not wanting to assist. Know of a elderly couple to stopped to assist someone who had broken down and got a heap of abuse for it ..

I will always stop to help but i also admit that I will assess a situation within a heartbeat too ..

Mr. Peanut
5th June 2006, 17:44
I think you'd be more likely to get help in the US

I was waiting for that.:nya: Yeah you're probably right...

terbang
5th June 2006, 17:47

Dunno but it should be an offence and unfortunately I didnt get the Rego as I was stunned with total disbelief at what I was seeing..

kiwifruit
5th June 2006, 17:51
That sucks but doesn't surprise me unfortunatly
i hope your friend is feeling ok and gets the bike sorted asap

justsomeguy
5th June 2006, 17:53
Dunno but it should be an offence and unfortunately I didnt get the Rego as I was stunned with total disbelief at what I was seeing..

Oh come on now. You are stunned that people can be heartless??

How badly hurt is the SV rider?? Thank god you managed to keep it upright when he nudged you and good on you for keeping calm and attending to your friend. Otherwise things could have gotten a lot worse.

"Following distances and blind spots and decreasing radius corners,
Gravel and tar snakes and sunstrike and huge big egos,
These are a few of my favourite things......"

Eh... ignore that last bit please.

750Y
5th June 2006, 17:56
make ya sick huh. it's not necessarily a reflection of nz society going bad.. selfish assholes have been around forever. i hope they didn't breed.

yungatart
5th June 2006, 18:02
Its certainly not what I would have done but.... a couple of oldies, faced with leather clad, mean and angry bikers in an unpredictable accident scenario, maybe they were frightened of the way you looked.. hope your mate is going to be okay. Pays to pay attention ALL the time, eh?

terbang
5th June 2006, 18:03
Oh come on now. You are stunned that people can be heartless??

How badly hurt is the SV rider?? Thank god you managed to keep it upright when he nudged you and good on you for keeping calm and attending to your friend. Otherwise things could have gotten a lot worse.

"Following distances and blind spots and decreasing radius corners,
Gravel and tar snakes and sunstrike and huge big egos,
These are a few of my favourite things......"

Eh... ignore that last bit please.

Yeah well I sorta had other stuff on my mind as well.

He may have a broken hand or something and has lost a fair bit of bark from around his wrists, his gloves were shorties and his cordura sleeve rode up. He was also complaining about a really sore shoulder which is not surprising as he took a fair old downhill tumble. He went as white as a ghost and started sweating and was complaining that he was feeling a bit ill which I suspect was due to a double hit of adrenaline. The bikes right side has all its sticky out bits wiped off and his right pipe is trashed along with some repairable fairing damage.

sunhuntin
5th June 2006, 18:15
no doubt he was white! i know with my own bin, when i landed i had enough sense to get myself off the road to the footpath, then my body took over...shock, adrenalin, plus the pain from injuries. through it all, i was insisting i was ok to go to work.

not all that surprised about cagers keepin on going. they simply dont want to stop anymore...not for us, or for each other.
remember reading a couple of years back, a woman in canada lost control of her car on an icy road....she wound up in a ditch, crawled out the rear window, staggered along a well travelled road....even knocked on doors trying to get help. cars just kept on going, and people didnt open their doors. i remember from the photos, she was lucky to be alive.

good to know your mate and yourself are all going to be ok. was it due to inattention? group riding is tricky in the best of conditions, let alone likely slippery roads.

WINJA
5th June 2006, 18:23
id be more concerned about the halfwitt mate running into the back of your bike due to lack of attention , that sorta stuff pisses me off and is one of the reasons i enjoy riding alone

SwanTiger
5th June 2006, 18:24
Disgusting.

There is no excuse for being a fuckwitt, elderly or not.

Indiana_Jones
5th June 2006, 18:28
No one stopped to check if I was ok when I low sided in fucking Glenfield lol. Edit, maybe I was abit harsh, most people are cool, but some are rubber necking dicks.

-Indy

terbang
5th June 2006, 18:30
was it due to inattention? group riding is tricky in the best of conditions, let alone likely slippery roads.

Yup you hit the nail on the head.. He also admits to misinterperating the road and wasnt fully aware of the pending intersection. I tend to think that fixation played a part here as he was looking at my rear (well my bikes rear) and that is what he hit on a 2 lane road..!

stify
5th June 2006, 18:31
I think people get scared of what they might find at an accident sight, it's not right, but sometimes "self" takes over for some people

not sayin thats what happened but another view point

glad ya mates ok

terbang
5th June 2006, 18:32
id be more concerned about the halfwitt mate running into the back of your bike due to lack of attention , that sorta stuff pisses me off and is one of the reasons i enjoy riding alone

Good point and I reckon we all need to review our group riding technique from time to time.

justsomeguy
5th June 2006, 18:34
He may have a broken hand or something and has lost a fair bit of bark from around his wrists,

Owwww!!!

Damn, no one realises just how much they need their hands until they can't use them due to injury.

Give him all our best wishes. I'm sure Quasi can sort him out with some good replacement gear.

Best of luck dealing with those bastard insurance companies.

WINJA
5th June 2006, 18:38
No one stopped to check if I was ok when I low sided in fucking Glenfield lol. Cagers are dicks.

-Indy
IN MOST CASES I DONT LIKE MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC TO HELP ME , I BROKE 4 RIBS , TORE A TENDON IN MY SHOULDER AND FUCKD MY HAM STRING AND I STILL WAVED OFF THE PASSERSBY , ID PREFER TO HAVE AS LITTLE ATTENTION AS POS AS ATTENTION WILL SOON = PIGS TURNING UP ,THERES OBVIOUS TIMES WHEN YOULL NEED HELP ETC .

MAYBE PEOPLE IN GLENFIELD ARE HOMOPHOBIC INDY

justsomeguy
5th June 2006, 18:39
I BROKE 4 RIBS , TORE A TENDON IN MY SHOULDER AND FUCKD MY HAM STRING AND I STILL WAVED OFF THE PASSERSBY ,

*cough*Tui*cough*

Indiana_Jones
5th June 2006, 18:40
MAYBE PEOPLE IN GLENFIELD ARE HOMOPHOBIC INDY

Toshay $avemart

-Indy

WINJA
5th June 2006, 18:41
*cough*Tui*cough*
NOPE GOT THE XRAYS AND A CREDIBLE WITNESS , I ALSO WENT TO WORK THE NEXT DAY ,AND THOSE WERE BROKEN RIBS NOT JUST CRACKED THE BONE ENDS WERE CLICKING TOGETHER WHEN I BREATHED, FUCK IT REALLY HURT

WINJA
5th June 2006, 18:42
Toshay $avemart

-Indy
WHAT IS $AVEMART????????????

u4ea
5th June 2006, 18:51
.........i was fortunate when i came off ,back country road,was unconcious for a bit but before the other 10 riders had realised i was down a lady covered me in a red chekered blanket which i now carry in my car in case someone as unfortunate as myself may need it.dont know who she was but one in a million....glad to hear you and mr sv are both are ok.

John Banks
5th June 2006, 18:56
I just have this mental image of an entire motorway parking to the side of the road to help someone who binned... not everyone can stop, and quite a few will just get in the way if they tried to help. You'd be a prick if you didn't stop for someone alone, but he already had you looking after him, how much more could a bunch of wrinkly old farts have helped out?

SARGE
5th June 2006, 18:58
FFS, what is this, America? Some people just have no idea... FFS :mad: :brick:

BULLSHIT sparky.. get a fucking clue.. i bet youve never even been there.. we respect bikers in the States..where are all the anti-racist posts NOW?

terbang
5th June 2006, 19:05
I just have this mental image of an entire motorway parking to the side of the road to help someone who binned... not everyone can stop, and quite a few will just get in the way if they tried to help. You'd be a prick if you didn't stop for someone alone, but he already had you looking after him, how much more could a bunch of wrinkly old farts have helped out?

Well it wouldn't take much thought to figure, bear in mind we are out in the sticks here, that an injured rider may need a lift and also a prostrate motorcycle will eventually need to be moved to restore the road. A fair bit for one person to do I suspect.
In this case the next vehicle that came along was the local farmer who took the situation for the serious nature that it was and couldnt have been more helpful. Big ups to him and his missus..

RT527
5th June 2006, 19:11

um its only an offence if you are involved with the accident as i see it.
I could be wrong, Someone of the law care to enlighten us...?

Ixion
5th June 2006, 19:20
No, I think you are right. Which is rather silly, since all the parties involved in an accident (bike or car) might be unable to assist themselves, let alone others.

RT527
5th June 2006, 19:26
Also it doesnt surprise me either......some incidents we go to are real hard to find, specially as the ppl ringing 111 are still mobile and by the time the operator gets to asking the location , they are usually 5 to 6 kms further on so they just look at the nearest road sign and tell them that , which doesnt help much, was driving to a call one day in which we were just a pump truck backing up 2 rescue trucks and maramarua who are rural fire to a truck vrs van, accident was spose to be at maramarua golf club on hway 2, we got just north of the 2 and 27 turn off which also has a golf club on the corner and about 500 meters up the road we come across the accident, was a very serious crash so then we had to start calling for our rescue truck which turned up within 15 mins and b4 the other ones made it from mangatangi/maramarua and mercer.
upside of it was we then only had bout 10 mins left b4 the golden hour rule ran out,however they did survive and were choppered to hospital.other times we can almost make it to the castle at mangatawhiri b4 we find the accident...usually cause someone didnt want to stop cause the in a hurry then give the wrong info cause they forgot where the accident was....doh!!!!!!

fozz rock
5th June 2006, 19:35
Was out by myself when i drop my bike, was looking for something god know what?? and left bike on road, 4 cars go by it was only couse the 5 guy was a bike rider that he stop picked up my bike for me sat me down and got my shit together.
Was not right in the head still not come to think of it:blip:

beyond
5th June 2006, 19:59
Hell Terbang, sounds like you were real lucky. Not so your mate :(

That is the rough area where I decided to scan the scenery and disapeared off the road to have a closer look at the vegetation. :)

Old people get real scared and even when we have decent kit on, they do appear to get a little intimidated. Most people are pretty good, especially farmers. Most the rides all of us go on, seem to be country side anyway, so go farmers. :)

Hope your mate comes right quick. Lot to be said for wearing a full race suit, boots and gloves aye?

RT527
5th June 2006, 20:02
No, I think you are right. Which is rather silly, since all the parties involved in an accident (bike or car) might be unable to assist themselves, let alone others.
I happen to agree with you, ppl dont understand about shock.....might not even be affecting the patient, could be affecting anyone involved in the accident from a witness to the person who was hit from behind/side/front etc.
:So any form of help would be encouraged from me if you happen to be first on the scene, be it a simple phone call for an ambulance,you can only do what you think is right for the person, unlike in america you cannot be sued if it happens to be wrong.just keeping someone warm is often enough to keep them alive.just remember S.R.A.B.C.S which is
:Safety-Yours and Patients.
:Response-Check for Patient Response
:Airway- Check And Clear Airway in the 'As Found' posistion
:Breathing-Keeping airway clear...Use look listen and feel techniques-if breathing= Recovery Posistion if able too.
:Circulation-Consider CPR if needed
Severe Bleeding-Carry out rapid assesment of patient-if there is severe bleeding do every thing needed to stop blood flow.
Above is shortened version of what you should do....I do recomend Doing a First Aid course.
try convincing your boss that at your workplace that you all could benifit from a First Aid course, try to get them to pay for it, or at least half of the fees.Talk to your local motorcycle club see if they can orginise something.
Sometimes its the little things that can keep someone else alive.
http://www.stjohn.org.nz/tips/srabcs.aspx

sunhuntin
5th June 2006, 20:03
Yup you hit the nail on the head.. He also admits to misinterperating the road and wasnt fully aware of the pending intersection. I tend to think that fixation played a part here as he was looking at my rear (well my bikes rear) and that is what he hit on a 2 lane road..!

thought so....one thing i dislike about group riding, or following a car too close for that matter, is i cant properly see whats up ahead.
fixation would have not helped. first bin, i was staring at the car the pulled out, and so i hit it. second near miss, i was staring for a second at the car that overtook the other car, then i moved my vision to the ditch, so thats where i was pointing when i finally stopped. left a nice skid mark on the road.

better your rear wheel than oncoming traffic i suspect!

Dadpole
5th June 2006, 22:25
This "leave 'em and drive past" thing is not new. Way back in 1974, I highsided on the Wainui Hill and hit the ground hard. Nothing that required more than a quick trip to A&E, but the impact left me lying on the road for at least 3 minutes before I could move. A few cars drove around me before someone stopped. I was blocking the slow lane so they may have just cursed the inconvenience I caused. The bit that got me, was that less than 25 metres up the road, 2 guys were working under the bonnet of a broken down car.
When I stopped bouncing, I was facing up the road, and watched them standing looking at me for a minute or so before going back to work. All of this time I was just lying there without moving. Thanks Guys.

Perhaps it was their patch of oil/water that had started my adventure - Bastards.

Headbanger
5th June 2006, 23:33
meh, The rider was being attended to (by you) and you didn't wave em down, they were perfectly in the right.

Next time tell your riding buddies to ride in a staggered pattern, There is no need for the next bike behind to be following in your footstep.

Insanity_rules
6th June 2006, 07:08

I thought it was an offence, leaving the scene or something? Some people are such ass hats. I mean they could have at least diverted traffic or something.

Sniper
6th June 2006, 08:50
You should have found the nearest rock and thrown it at the. Regardless of what they felt, they should have stopped. What would have happened if he was alone? Or if you were not his real friend and was trying to steal his wallet? Good on you for stivking with your mate, I know I would have had a couple irrational thoughts and taken off after those dicks and shared a bit of knowledge.....

Lou Girardin
6th June 2006, 10:51

Only if you're a particpant in the accident.

Sniper
6th June 2006, 11:00
meh, The rider was being attended to (by you) and you didn't wave em down, they were perfectly in the right.
No they weren't. They are required to stop.

Next time tell your riding buddies to ride in a staggered pattern, There is no need for the next bike behind to be following in your footstep.

Take it you are a regular group rider? When I ride I like to be aware of the riders around me (if any) and I also like to see the sights. I understand your words, but I think them unfair in this situation as it could of happened to anyone else under the same circumstances.

Shaun
6th June 2006, 11:11
It does suck that a car just drove on by you guys BUT,
I wonder if this car was one that you guys had just blasted by? following each other far to close?
And the accident never would have happened if the guy that crashed had been using more good riding skills and not following your rear wheel as per the road code. I know I will probally get shot down for that one, but this hole thread is a true reflection of the NZ society now.

Something goes wrong, and every one looks for someone else to blaim, you all go on about bloody (cages) Try being just a cage driver, and then a bike blasts past you from no where with another 2 or so following really close! Bet you would shit yourself as well.

If you were not a bike rider, this kind of riding that some riders think is a ok really is -ucked riding skills, bike riders are not that well liked in the first place, and you guys go out riding in big groups thinking the road rules do not apply to us because we are bike riders.

Finally, well wishes to your mate, but please think about group riding habits in the future, you guys are just shitting in your own nests, and yes, I have been guilty of riding in the same way untill someone pointed out the points that I have just posted

Motu
6th June 2006, 11:41
Yes,there could been a bit of ''I told you he'd crash'' talk in the car - I too have an issue about flocks of bikes monstering cars on these back roads....and like Shaun I've been guilty of it myself....and still do the odd occassion.

What time was this? I saw a couple of sportbikes at the Huntly end of Heatherington Rd about 2.00 ish as I was heading home from a choice ride....they didn't wave of course.

Beemer
6th June 2006, 12:59

Have to second that! There's a guy in our club I avoid riding anywhere near as he has a bit of a problem stopping and staying upright.

Maybe those oldies had an experience like my dad - he was waved down by this pregnant woman standing beside what appeared to be a broken down car with its bonnet up. As he got out, her boyfriend ran out from behind some trees with their backpacks - they were hitching! Dad said he couldn't give them a lift (he had a car full already) and that he only stopped because he thought they needed assistance and he got a right earful for being such a wanker.

I stopped once after seeing a guy come off his bike going around a roundabout and got abused for my trouble. Told me to "fuck off" - obviously he was okay and a bit embarrassed, but it's situations like this that make people think twice about stopping to help.

Lou Girardin
6th June 2006, 15:38

No, they're not. So there.

Macktheknife
6th June 2006, 17:04
Good to hear you are ok, sorry about your mate but he took his mind off the job huh.... bet he wont do that again in a hurry. Hope he heals up well and you guys can get back to it.

Kickaha
6th June 2006, 17:59

No they aren't

but I think them unfair in this situation as it could of happened to anyone else under the same circumstances.

Not if they're paying attention

John Banks
6th June 2006, 18:28
Also, for everyone that's lambasting the guy for running into the back of terbang, not everyone's perfect and all it takes is half a second of inattention for it to happen. (Since he hit the bike in front without enough force to knock them over, half a second of braking is all it takes).

WINJA
6th June 2006, 18:41
Also, for everyone that's lambasting the guy for running into the back of terbang, not everyone's perfect and all it takes is half a second of inattention for it to happen. (Since he hit the bike in front without enough force to knock them over, half a second of braking is all it takes).
WHATEVER, I DONT TAKE EXCUSES WHEN IT COMES TO BEING REAR ENDED , IF YOUR GONNA THROW IT DOWN THE ROAD DONT THROW IT IN YOUR MATES DIRECTION , IVE DONE 1000'S OF KM AT VERY HIGH SPEED AND IN THE RAIN AND ON GRAVEL AND IVE NEVER RAN INTO THE BACK OF ANYONE

Finn
6th June 2006, 18:45
WHATEVER, I DONT TAKE EXCUSES WHEN IT COMES TO BEING REAR ENDED

Will you take flowers?

sunhuntin
6th June 2006, 20:05
Have to second that! There's a guy in our club I avoid riding anywhere near as he has a bit of a problem stopping and staying upright.

Maybe those oldies had an experience like my dad - he was waved down by this pregnant woman standing beside what appeared to be a broken down car with its bonnet up. As he got out, her boyfriend ran out from behind some trees with their backpacks - they were hitching! Dad said he couldn't give them a lift (he had a car full already) and that he only stopped because he thought they needed assistance and he got a right earful for being such a wanker.

I stopped once after seeing a guy come off his bike going around a roundabout and got abused for my trouble. Told me to "fuck off" - obviously he was okay and a bit embarrassed, but it's situations like this that make people think twice about stopping to help.

i havent ridden enough with the main group i will ride with to know whos good and whos not in groups....when riding, i make sure i ride within my ability, and try not to hinder anyone else whos around me. if i think im going too slow for the people behind, i pull off and let them go.
when group riding, i know a second is all it takes to ruin a ride, so i make sure it wont be me that ruins it.
i watch the wheel in front of me to the left, and also the wheel in front of him to his right. i depend on those behind me to watch my wheel.

ive seen a couple of bikes pulled off the side of the road, and have always slowed down til i saw a wave that all was ok.
i got passed by a guy the other day...had enough power to be able to ride with him....he pulled over on the open road, i overtook and waited up the road [too much traffic to u-turn and a dangerous corner.] didnt move till he went by waving.

terbang
6th June 2006, 20:12

Umm I did try to wave them down

And here we have another armchair rider expert..:

I wonder if this car was one that you guys had just blasted by? following each other far to close?
May have overtaken them but no close following.

Something goes wrong, and every one looks for someone else to blaim, you all go on about bloody (cages) Try being just a cage driver, and then a bike blasts past you from no where with another 2 or so following really close! Bet you would shit yourself as well.

Not blaming anybody just pissed they didnt offer assistance. You must be speaking for yourself there.

If you were not a bike rider, this kind of riding that some riders think is a ok really is -ucked riding skills, bike riders are not that well liked in the first place, and you guys go out riding in big groups thinking the road rules do not apply to us because we are bike riders.

2 Bikes a big group..?

Shadows
6th June 2006, 22:38

LOL I hope that wasn't at Paremata about 15 years ago! :innocent:

Shadows
6th June 2006, 22:39
No.. just realised you are a female. This dude was a bloke and wouldn't leave me alone. I think he was a wannabe cop.

Shadows
6th June 2006, 22:44
At this stage a station wagon comes down the hill and all 4 rubbernecking ocupants (oldies) are treated to a bright red bike lying on its side with a growing pool below it, bits of assorted glass littering the road and a fully clad rider still lying on the road with his mate tending to him. I had the Hazard warnings on my Busa going and they just drove around the SV and kept on going..! Fucking unbelievable, I just don't understand the mentality and where is NZ society heading..?

You mean to say that all of them actually saw you! Fuck, thats a first! And they still didn't stop for you!!!!
I bet if they were asked why they left the scene of an accident they would say "What accident? I didn't see them, honest!"

rok-the-boat
7th June 2006, 13:02
When younger I fell off many times but no one, except bikers, ever stopped to help. You had better be prepared to crawl ... basically. On the contrary, I always stop and help, whether it is a bike, car or whatever etc.

FROSTY
7th June 2006, 13:23
sorry guys I'm with shaun and winja on this one.
I'm really sorry your mate got hurt but half a seconds innatention isnt gonna put him IN your bike--if he was following correctly.

Beemer
7th June 2006, 22:45
No.. just realised you are a female. This dude was a bloke and wouldn't leave me alone. I think he was a wannabe cop.

Nope, it was about seven or eight years ago and it wasn't Paremata - but not too far away! The roundabout outside the northern end of Waterloo railway station in Lower Hutt. All I said was "are you okay, do you need any help?" and got a torrent of abuse!

Blairos
8th June 2006, 17:20
I have read some of the comments here with interest, and since I was with Terbang and our mate for all of the ride (up until they disappeared back up towards SH22) I made some observations...

1. It was the first time that our mate (lets give him a hypothetical name... Bob) had ridden with anyone but himself since owning his bike. He was pretty excited to be heading out onto a fairly unfamiliar road with his 2 mates on a ride

2. Whilst Bob and I were in transit to Terbangs place, I noticed while he was following me, that he was occupying the exact same "tyre track" as myself - I thought to myself "this wont be pretty if I have to stop in a hurry, for whatever reason" - One thing I have learnt from this site, and the other guys/gals I have been fortunate enough to ride with, is the the staggered formation approach, this gives you an out if you need it, by having that little bit of extra distance available in front. The "Group Riding" DVD from the ACC also pays particular attention to this as well.

3. In all honesty, and knowing Bob like I do, I think there was a small element of "having to prove something" to his mates. Now, given my relative lack of riding experience, its not really my place to tell him how he should or shouldnt ride... Bob has a fairly lively amount of experience, and I personally have trouble telling my "elders" how to do things when it comes to this motorcycling habit of mine...

Thats just a few things I noticed - the main thing, in my view, was the state of SH22, and given the sun position at this time of year, there are a heap of gullies that never see any sun, are damp, have mossy patches, pine needles etc ... and this required a lot more attention to my riding than the last time I rode it.
As Terbang pointed out in his first post, I decided I had had my fill of SH22 for one day, and my sensible side won out on the day, with a leisurely ride up SH1 to Mercer - and from there the story unfolded...

my 2c worth

:ride: