PDA

View Full Version : Humphry and Co. go east...

Bonez
6th June 2006, 19:38
Queens B'day weekend ride-

Humphry, Bonez and Combo Man left Palmy Nth Friday arvo. Havelock North then on to Wairoa staying the night at one of the cleanest, most well appointed cabins and facilities I've seen in a motor camp.

Off to the Gisbourne via Tiniroto on Saturday. Whilst having a late brekky met up with a young chap on a Suzuki 8 hundy cruiser. He tag along with us to the East Cape. Climbed the 700 odd steps to have a gander at the light house. Then off to Hicks Bay departing company with the youngen. Stopped at Te Kaha for a stretch and pie. Then off to Opotiki for the night.

On Sunday it pissed down nearly all the way to Taupo via Whakatane, Murapara, Waiotapo. Lunch at Taupo. Stayed Sunday night at Mangakino at a freind of Combo Man's after he kindly invited us via a text message to Combo Man whilst in Taupo. Hmmmmm apple crumble and rocky road ice cream for desert yummmmmmmmmmmmmm. Slept the night on the couch in the lounge in front of a Kent woodburning heater-toasty warm. It dried most of our gear overnight-YES.

On Monday it was a chilly to Tamarunui ,no rain at all, where we had a hot chocalate drink to warm our insides. Then off to Whangamomona we went. My GB had a flat front tire about 35 ks from Whanga's. Tried a tire pando, which seemed to do the job ok till the temperature dropped through the gorge. Limping along at around 50-60kph, well what else was one to do in the middle of the back of beyond, on the flat tire. We met up with a cocky moving a flock of sheep. Asked if he had an 18" tube lying about, but no luck. He did inform me though that Mert at Whangamomona 9kms futher on would be able to help. So onwards and upwards we went. Sure enough he was correct. Mert, who was having lunch when we showed up, had TWO new 18" m/c tubes. I bought one, which we fitted. Shouted Mert a jug of beer for his troubles. Had a natter with him in the pub along with a freind of his. Then off home via Straford, Wanganui, Bulls etc arriving home at around 7.00pm just in time for dinner. Then a long shower then nighty night night..................

All in all a bloody good weekend. Picks and further commentary to follow. The two GBs ran without a hitch, apart from the flatty btw.:scooter:

Hitcher
6th June 2006, 19:46
What a great trip! I'm waiting anxiously for the photos...

Bonez
6th June 2006, 20:03
What a great trip! Yip. Certainly better than staying at home ;). Some burly gents at the pub in Taupo made the comment that we were certainly "tougher than them" :blip: To be honest everyone we spoke to was quite impressed with our efforts and all where very freindly and helpfull. Well almost all.................

phantom
6th June 2006, 20:15
Sounds like a great ride Bonez, hopefully it won't be too long before I can get yet another GB out there amongst it. Unfortunately got visitors EVERY weekend this month, they all seem to want to make sure I am still alive. Mum's just gone back to the west island, got the mother in law to go plus two sets of friends. Always wanted to do that trip on the push bike but older and wiser now.

combo man
6th June 2006, 20:27
Yeah man, was 100% good 4 days! Gb's the way! Where we garn next Bonzy? I'm tryin ta talk free to ride into a blast this Sunday. We ended up doing 1520ks, and that takes my bike to a grand total of 4382km's in the last 7 weeks! Not too bad for $600 bucks!

combo man
6th June 2006, 20:29
Sounds like a great ride Bonez, hopefully it won't be too long before I can get yet another GB out there amongst it. Unfortunately got visitors EVERY weekend this month, they all seem to want to make sure I am still alive. Mum's just gone back to the west island, got the mother in law to go plus two sets of friends. Always wanted to do that trip on the push bike but older and wiser now.

Would be good ta go ridein with ya phantom! Never underestimate the raw power of 400 cc!

Bonez
6th June 2006, 20:31
Yeah man, was 100% good 4 days! Gb's the way! Where we garn next Bonzy? I'm tryin ta talk free to ride into a blast this Sunday. We ended up doing 1520ks, and that takes my bike to a grand total of 4382km's in the last 7 weeks! Not too bad for $600 bucks!Fucken cheaper than those new fangle XBox thingamegigs aint it?

combo man
6th June 2006, 20:37
Fucken cheaper than those new fangle XBox thingamegigs aint it?
More fun, too! I've tryed to do those car raceing game thingies and they don't handle anywhere near as good as da bike! Mind you, no flatties on Xbox!

Bonez
6th June 2006, 20:43
More fun, too! I've tryed to do those car raceing game thingies and they don't handle anywhere near as good as da bike! Mind you, no flatties on Xbox!Hey it added a bit of entertainment, didn't it? ;)

Bonez
7th June 2006, 19:31
Just worked out the all up cost of the trip to be around $280. This includeds gas, food, drinky poos-alcoholic/non-alcoholic-, accomodation and puncture fix. Not bad really, considering. Never had to adjust the chain either. Just a daily check and lub with hypoid gear oil. Adjusted the chain at work yesterday though. Just needed 1/4 of a turn on the adjusting bolts.

Time for a filter and oil change too I notice. But will do that this weekend. I'll give the ol gal a good clean and check over all the nuts, bolts etc also, ready for it's next escapade.

Combo Man will pop in home sometime so I can upload the pics.

Edit- Shit, it's well overdue for an oil change according to this-
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=255991&page=4&highlight=gb400tt

NUTBAR
7th June 2006, 21:49
Hey Bonez

was good to meet & ride with you guys. I should have kept riding as the camping spot at hicks bay was booked out, oh well. at least we had a good days ride. shame about the roller coaster, I mean road between Gisbourne & TeAraroa.

Bonez
8th June 2006, 19:02
Hey Bonez

was good to meet & ride with you guys. I should have kept riding as the camping spot at hicks bay was booked out, oh well. at least we had a good days ride. shame about the roller coaster, I mean road between Gisbourne & TeAraroa.Welcome to KB. Yes it was an "interesting" stretch wasn't it?
How did the pics you took turn out?

Hitcher
8th June 2006, 19:18
Waiting patiently for posted pics...

phantom
8th June 2006, 19:20
Perhaps they never went, just like the americans on the moon:blip:

Hitcher
8th June 2006, 19:28
But the at least the Americans who "went" to the moon posted pics.

Ixion
8th June 2006, 19:31
They did go to the moon. They just never came back! It's a conspiracy!

NUTBAR
8th June 2006, 22:34
pics turned out good. will put them on as soon as i figure out how & where to put them.

combo man
9th June 2006, 06:27
Perhaps they never went, just like the americans on the moon:blip:
Corse we went! I just fotta get me shit together and take the camera round to bonzy's place so he can do this down load thing!

Bonez
9th June 2006, 16:02
Corse we went! I just fotta get me shit together and take the camera round to bonzy's place so he can do this down load thing!I do like the moon theory though :innocent: Damn big craters at our fuel stop prior to Taupo.:gob:

Bonez
10th June 2006, 14:15
Waiting patiently for posted pics...Here ya go........

Bonez
10th June 2006, 14:56
Tra la la la.........

Bonez
10th June 2006, 15:09
Some more..............

Bonez
10th June 2006, 15:19
Lucky last.

phantom
10th June 2006, 15:54
Jeeze that was a fair load you were carrying on the GB no wonder you got a flat tire and supplying spiritous liquor to an under age giraffe no wonder it couldn't stand. Nah I'm only jealous:bye:

Bonez
10th June 2006, 17:13
Jeeze that was a fair load you were carrying on the GB When preparing for a journey to the moon you have to cater for every eventuality you know............... Except for flat tires :wait:

Bonez
11th June 2006, 18:24
Highlights of the trip-

Getting of the main drag onto Middle Road.
Being advised by a Harley owning dude on the joys of riding an old Triumph trident in cool weather-
"Fewwww day hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm ay bro!!":blip:
Wairoa motor camp. Never ring the office bell ;).
Meeting Bravo1, obviously.
Meeting some bros on the climb to the lighthouse and hearing about their antics on motorcycles. Seems some folk out east still don't have electricity in their homes.
Getting to the lighthouse puff puff puff!!!
Deciding not to do the Waikaromoana Rd this time.
Meeting Roydons family at Mangakino- have I mentioned apple crumble and rocky road icecream?
Veiw of the snow from that lookout.
Flat tire-yes it was a highlight, providing a giggle or two and the oppurtunity to meet some folk I never would have met otherwise.
Relieving myself on the way to Stratford- them bourbons and cokes went straight though me. Mentle note to self-get hold of a 10 speed inner tube for the next trip...............

Lowlights- only one really-putting up with combo man the whole way ;).(p/t)
Nice pics btw Big Falla.

combo man
12th June 2006, 17:45
Highlights of the trip-

Getting of the main drag onto Middle Road.
Being advised by a Harley owning dude on the joys of riding an old Triumph trident in cool weather-
"Fewwww day hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm ay bro!!":blip:
Wairoa motor camp. Never ring the office bell ;).
Meeting Bravo1, obviously.
Meeting some bros on the climb to the lighthouse and hearing about their antics on motorcycles. Seems some folk out east still don't have electricity in their homes.
Getting to the lighthouse puff puff puff!!!
Deciding not to do the Waikaromoana Rd this time.
Meeting Roydons family at Mangakino- have I mentioned apple crumble and rocky road icecream?
Veiw of the snow from that lookout.
Flat tire-yes it was a highlight, providing a giggle or two and the oppurtunity to meet some folk I never would have met otherwise.
Relieving myself on the way to Stratford- them bourbons and cokes went straight though me. Mentle note to self-get hold of a 10 speed inner tube for the next trip...............

Lowlights- only one really-putting up with combo man the whole way ;).(p/t)
Nice pics btw Big Falla.
OHHHHHHHHHH now that's harsh bonzy! I was a model motorcyclest on the trip! Well, most of the time anyway! Hay ya bravo1. Did ya get ya bike clean after that tad of gravel? I just did the numbers thing and find that since I bought the Gb 6 weeks ago that I've done 5250kms. Ya just can't beat im!

Bonez
13th June 2006, 18:14
Ya just can't beat im!Certainly the long and short of it, if you know what I mean :blip:

NUTBAR
14th June 2006, 21:11
yes got it washed & polished,