PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Petition Again

Skyryder
6th June 2006, 19:35
Just caught a glimpse on the news about a Nelson woman running a petition. Seems her partner was killed by an overseas driver who fell asleep at the wheel. Just heard the bit where he was fined I think it was $10,000 and walked. Can someone fill in the details of what she is on about or supply a link with further info.

Skyryder

Drum
6th June 2006, 19:57
Youve got it right. $10k fine and loss of license.
Charge was careless use resulting in injury.
Apparently the penalty is the same whether the victim dies or not.

A tough one this. Pretty rough losing a loved one this way - but the guy (a merkin) wasnt deliberately (i.e. recklessly) doing anything wrong - he fell asleep. Little consolation to the family of the victim though.

I doubt that stiffer penalties would make a tired driver pull over and rest.

Skyryder
6th June 2006, 20:23
Youve got it right. $10k fine and loss of license.
Charge was careless use resulting in injury.
Apparently the penalty is the same whether the victim dies or not.

A tough one this. Pretty rough losing a loved one this way - but the guy (a merkin) wasnt deliberately (i.e. recklessly) doing anything wrong - he fell asleep. Little consolation to the family of the victim though.

I doubt that stiffer penalties would make a tired driver pull over and rest.

Perhaps not but that could have been one of us. Do you know who the woman is...............and how does one get to sighn this. Just can not find anythin on the net about her. Any one else with any info on this.

Skyryder

Drum
6th June 2006, 20:44
Her name is Tameka Davies.

Heres the link.........

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411319/742312

Skyryder
6th June 2006, 21:07
Her name is Tameka Davies.

Heres the link.........

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411319/742312

Thanks Drum.

Skyryder

Sniper
6th June 2006, 21:14
I know the crash. It was one of our rental cars that was being driven by the american. Wasnt a great one. The American did fall asleep, but there were other factors that cannot be discussed.

Unfortunatly there is sweet FA that the NZ govt can do bar preventing the tourist from leaving the country and then dealing with it from then. Good on her for trying though

Skyryder
6th June 2006, 21:28
See NELSON PETITION AGAIN

Skyryder

Skyryder
6th June 2006, 21:31
Not too sure if anyone else saw the Item on TV One but this is the link that Drum supplied. http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411319/742312.

I'm not going into a long spiel on this but I'm going for ride up to Nelson to sighn this woman's petition. I know this is a bad time of the year weather wise etc and I'm too sure if anyone else is interested in this............ if so then post your intentions. The weekend of the 17 18 of June is out for me as the wife and daughter are off to Europe on the 19 June. At this stage I am thinking of the 24 / 25 June. Might give some North Islanders time for Ferry bookings. I'm sort of hoping this might lead to some serious biker numbers with this ..............but at the end of the day it's each and everyone's personal call. I'm going even if I go alone.

Skyryder

scracha
6th June 2006, 21:35
$hit I feel sorry for the woman and all but at the end of the day driving is dangerous and accidents happen. Now if the guy had been driving recklessley my tune would be different. Who knows why he fell asleep?

scumdog
6th June 2006, 21:36
Better if more time was spent dealing with home-grown road-idiots first.

The 'boy-racer' sent to jail in Auckland for being part of a fatal race was a good start. (he was driving one of the cars but it was not directly involved in the fatal crash).

sunhuntin
6th June 2006, 21:42
$hit I feel sorry for the woman and all but at the end of the day driving is dangerous and accidents happen. Now if the guy had been driving recklessley my tune would be different. Who knows why he fell asleep?

jetlag id bet. had an american priest and nun at work a few weeks ago...headed to taupo. they pulled off the forecourt on to the right hand side of the road, and proceeded around the roundabout backwards....:gob: amazing

sky...have a safe ride and sign for me while youre there eh?

Sniper
6th June 2006, 21:53
jetlag id bet. had an american priest and nun at work a few weeks ago...headed to taupo. they pulled off the forecourt on to the right hand side of the road, and proceeded around the roundabout backwards....:gob: amazing

sky...have a safe ride and sign for me while youre there eh?

You would be surprised at the shit I deal with. There are people who dont know how to give way, who turn in front of traffic at red lights and who even try run reds cause "thats what they do back home".

scracha
6th June 2006, 22:01
You would be surprised at the shit I deal with. There are people who dont know how to give way, who turn in front of traffic at red lights and who even try run reds cause "thats what they do back home".

When on the plane filling out the immigration cards, I don't know why they don't hand out "how we drive in NZ" cards*. I think most tourists would be happy to sit a scratch and sniff test when they arrive at the airport or at the car hire centre (not at the current fee though...mibby 20 bucks or something).

*OK, maybe "how we're supposed to drive in NZ" cards.

scracha
6th June 2006, 22:07
Woops..posted twice..

98tls
6th June 2006, 22:08
good for you,i would if i could but at the moment its just not possible..if you would care to put my name on that petition drop me a pm and i will give you my details.....

Sniper
6th June 2006, 22:13
Easy to say mate. Not easy to do. Most customers are shitty if you tend to argue with them over anything. Besides, most "have been driving for years!" and tend to know it all. I have even had one guy who "builts these cars" but didnt know how to use the wipers or indicators.

Hiring rental cars is a delicant balance becuase you can identify which ethnicticities are problems. Sounds racist I know, but when you are trying to tell an asian, german, israelie or any other country that we need a credit card or that we wont accept a drivers license we can read you get the idea quite quickly on how unsafe our roads can be

sunhuntin
6th June 2006, 23:06
sniper....i wouldnt do you job for all the money in the world! bugger that!
i work at a gas station, and theyre scary enough there!

im glad when i went to canada i couldnt ride, cos the habits over there would have been hard to shake here [turn right on a red if it is safe to do so [left for us]]

sAsLEX
6th June 2006, 23:07
The 'boy-racer' sent to jail in Auckland for being part of a fatal race was a good start. (he was driving one of the cars but it was not directly involved in the fatal crash).

hmm thats setting a dangerous precident, should all the bystanding watchers be jailed as well as they were "egging" him on, even though they had no direct involvement in the crash?

Lou Girardin
7th June 2006, 10:01
Strange that it was careless causing injury, not death. Perhaps the death was from other causes?
I also think the cops are drawing a long bow on some of these charges against people not directly involved in accidents.
I'm just waiting for the day when an overtaken driver gets accused of racing the overtaker.

scumdog
7th June 2006, 10:21
The difference is that this guy admitted racing "but only on the straight bits" - whatever that was meant to mean.

Lou Girardin
7th June 2006, 15:39
The difference is that this guy admitted racing "but only on the straight bits" - whatever that was meant to mean.

They always talk themselves into the shit, don't they.
How difficult would your job be if they had some clues?

Sniper
7th June 2006, 15:54
sniper....i wouldnt do you job for all the money in the world! bugger that!
i work at a gas station, and theyre scary enough there!

im glad when i went to canada i couldnt ride, cos the habits over there would have been hard to shake here [turn right on a red if it is safe to do so [left for us]]

Cheers mate. The job can get hard which is why I prefer to stay behind my computer, but once in a while I do need to deal with the difficult customers. Every once in a while you get a really good customer who compliments you are thanks you in some way. They are only 1 in 10 but those are the ones I tend to remember and next time go out of my way to help them. The others are branded as GOLDCARD CUSTOMERS :angry:

Skyryder
7th June 2006, 18:59
Better if more time was spent dealing with home-grown road-idiots first.

Can't disagee with that SD but I think the Davies petition has more to do with a lack of sufficient 'penalty' than being anti tourist drivers. I'm going to try and get in touch with the woman and find out a bit more on this. This is not the first time when some one has been killed and all that has happened is a 'stiff' fine. $10,000 is serious money to most of us here but a fine is a fine and carries less of a stigma than jail time.

Skyryder