PDA

View Full Version : Totally useless mod but it does look good...

98tls
6th June 2006, 21:33
i recently installed a TLR clutch in my TLS,basically replaced the 5 spring with a 6 spring as comes standard in 99+ TLS,managed to buy a clear cover which looked ok but then went one step further and got a new pressure plate with anodized bolts and retainers,came out pretty good i reckon.

justsomeguy
6th June 2006, 21:38
Very nice. I have to respect the attention to detail.:first:

ZeroIndex
6th June 2006, 21:43
damn.. I WANT ONE!!

BurnCycle
7th June 2006, 01:13
Looks like crap... Tell you what... Send it to me and I'll spare you the embarrassment of having that on the bike. :nya:

er... fark that looks good. :rockon:

qldzxr250a
7th June 2006, 06:38
that looks sweet as :first:

tl_tub
7th June 2006, 06:49
Nice! How did you get your clear cover, did you make contact with someone in usa through tlzone?

WRT
7th June 2006, 08:29
I like it. BTW - did the TLS come with a slipper clutch? And if not, does this mean you now have one?

GR81
7th June 2006, 09:39
looks bloody top notch i rekon!
see through stuff is cool! ;)

Matt Bleck
7th June 2006, 09:41
shit yeah, thats looks the business!!

placidfemme
7th June 2006, 09:41
That looks awesome! Great job :)

kiwifruit
7th June 2006, 09:43
looks great :niceone:

BurnCycle
7th June 2006, 23:16
I like it. BTW - did the TLS come with a slipper clutch? And if not, does this mean you now have one?

The TLS and TLR had back torque limiting features. Not a slipper clutch in the conventional sense but...

The stock TL clutches have a mechanism on the shaft that consists of ramps below the hub and fingers on the spring-post base. Under sufficient forward torque, the fingers move on the ramps and the clutch spring base retracts, causing the preload on the springs to increase, tightening the pack. It does not tighten with RPM like a lock-up clutch, it tightens with forward torque. On the flip side it loosens upon back torque (deceleration) allowing the clutch to slip.

98tls
8th June 2006, 04:30
yea brent b i got the cover from tlzone,there is two options...one of the members Rifleman will do them on an exchange basis were you send yours over and he will send one back hes already done,lots of options for fastners etc,other options are billet ones like mine although they cost more.the pressure plate was done by a member called vandriver but i think that was a one off thing...although it wouldnt be hard to polish your own pressure plate...i think he still has some bolts and retainers.

WRT
8th June 2006, 08:25
Not a slipper clutch in the conventional sense but...

Cheers BurnCycle. I was aware of that on the R (had one before the Aprilia and have seen the mechanism apart), but wasnt sure about the S - I was just being lazy as "slipper" is easier to write than "back torque limiting". Fk it, I've just written it anyway . . .

R6_kid
8th June 2006, 11:31
looks mint man. Seen it done on ducati's before... always wondered if i could get one for the R6, but my clutch cover is hidden behind fairings so it would be kinda pointless.

bugjuice
8th June 2006, 11:34
i love those conversions.. wouldn't quite buy a TL just to do that, but if I had a TL, I'd do that ;)

Do the TLs run a dry clutch then?

DemonWolf
8th June 2006, 11:40
Yep.. sure does look great! Good stuff

98tls
8th June 2006, 16:12
i love those conversions.. wouldn't quite buy a TL just to do that, but if I had a TL, I'd do that ;)

Do the TLs run a dry clutch then? no the TL runs a wet clutch hence the need for perspex window,things would get a bit messy without it.:yes:

bugjuice
8th June 2006, 16:28
so the perspex will get oiled up over time?
not that it makes it any less sexy, just askin ;)

98tls
8th June 2006, 16:34
so the perspex will get oiled up over time?
not that it makes it any less sexy, just askin ;) when you start the bike up if it hasnt been running for awhile the window fogs up with condensation...once motor is hot it just goes clear again.

imdying
8th June 2006, 16:42
when you start the bike up if it hasnt been running for awhile the window fogs up with condensation...once motor is hot it just goes clear again.Hey, just like my gas fire!

Do you know if it's simply a round piece of perspex? I mean, if it discolours over time, is it simply a matter of getting another round bit?

Same side cover as an sv? That'd look quite mint :)

98tls
8th June 2006, 17:02
Hey, just like my gas fire!

Do you know if it's simply a round piece of perspex? I mean, if it discolours over time, is it simply a matter of getting another round bit?

Same side cover as an sv? That'd look quite mint :) havent heard of any being changed because of discolouring but a few guys have dropped there bikes and replaced the perspex..if thats indeed what it is,i am just guessing its perspex as it feels plastic like.as far as the sidecover being the same i am not to sure although at a guess would say yes,i can find out about that and what the clear bit is made of it just might take a while as i am doing the horrid 12 hour nightshift for the next 4 nights,i will get back to you on both.

imdying
8th June 2006, 17:08
Mulford plastics here in Chch have a piece of perspex they've shot rifle rounds into, so I'm guessing that it's more than strong enough (yeah ok, there's heaps of grades). They also have some lime green stuff... would look pretty good against your body work :) Lime green only comes in 3mm, and although it's a cell cast acrylic, it would be a bit weak I suspect. However, you could either bond it to another piece (of stronger clear), or bond it to the inside of your current bit. With the right glue (they have it), the two bits become one :)

98tls
8th June 2006, 17:17
good thinking about the colored plastic but i went to heaps of trouble to get the new pressure plate polished and it looks pretty good,bit reluctant to hide it with the colored perspex although i agree it would look pretty good.

oldguy
8th June 2006, 19:28
good thinking about the colored plastic but i went to heaps of trouble to get the new pressure plate polished and it looks pretty good,bit reluctant to hide it with the colored perspex although i agree it would look pretty good.now all you need is some fluro colored oil, looks great thou.

ZeroIndex
8th June 2006, 23:06
now all you need is some fluro colored oil, looks great thou.
the glow in the dark stuff, from Mugen-RICERS-R-US.com P/T

BurnCycle
8th June 2006, 23:25
The window is actually Lexan (http://www.polymerplastics.com/transparents_lexan.shtml). :)

98tls
9th June 2006, 06:30
hi burn...was thinking you might chime in....lexan it is.

Clivoris
9th June 2006, 23:41
Purty thing. Real purty.

98tls
14th June 2006, 20:20
Hey, just like my gas fire!

Same side cover as an sv? That'd look quite mint :) did a bit of research mate,no go the cover is totally different,the TL one is removable from the main cover and the SVs seems to be a one piece....seems strange as it would be a pain in the arse to do simple things ie clutch springs etc.

imdying
15th June 2006, 09:32
Ghey, can't have it all though.

Finn
15th June 2006, 09:38
For a moment I thought this post was about Waylander although I was confused about the good looks though...

simo
16th June 2006, 21:25
Still got the shit suspender in the back? - hope not, would destroy a good mod, the red spring looks ominous!!!

98tls
20th June 2006, 18:11
Still got the shit suspender in the back? - hope not, would destroy a good mod, the red spring looks ominous!!! yea,theres a Bitubo on the way though,have done the forks though which made a hell of a difference.The pogo stick was going to be one of the first things to go but got sucked in to other shit ie undertrays,yosh boxs etc

festus
23rd June 2006, 10:56
Nice touches dude. Where did you get the ndertray mate and $$$, and have you got any close up pics of the eye glass clutch cover? might be able to make one meself..........cheers

ps did you get to the BM? was in Oamaru Fri night..........could have caught up for a beer mate!

festus
23rd June 2006, 10:59
Nice touches dude. Where did you get the ndertray mate and $$$, and have you got any close up pics of the eye glass clutch cover? might be able to make one meself..........cheers

ps did you get to the BM? was in Oamaru Fri night..........could have caught up for a beer mate!

I mean an inside shot of the cover.........

98tls
26th June 2006, 06:46

ps did you get to the BM? was in Oamaru Fri night..........could have caught up for a beer mate! didnt get to the monkey mate,the undertray is an extremegraphic one,all up with postage from canada the bloody thing was about $330 kiwi,comes with lights etc..with the dollar going down wont help,have a look at extremegraphicfsmd.com havent got any pics of the inside of cover but can take it off and take some if you need them....let me know.

festus
26th June 2006, 08:16
didnt get to the monkey mate,the undertray is an extremegraphic one,all up with postage from canada the bloody thing was about $330 kiwi,comes with lights etc..with the dollar going down wont help,have a look at extremegraphicfsmd.com havent got any pics of the inside of cover but can take it off and take some if you need them....let me know.

No don't worry about it dude. See on TLZone one of the boyz is getting orders in again so will go with that if I can afford it..........as for the undertray again that will have to be put on hold, a little short of the folding stuff for that........cheers

loosebruce
26th June 2006, 09:32
That looks mint mate, nice colour on the S too (god i miss mine:bye: ) almost brought another one to be honest, cause i didn't think i could afford my new bike, actully i cant afford my new bike, guess i dont have to eat, i need to lose weight anyway!

Keep the pics flowing with the mods though :rockon: