PDA

View Full Version : New Chain

Quasievil
19th May 2004, 10:01
Hi, I just fitted a new EK O-ring chain to the Ducati, while doing this I obviously moved the axle forward to account for the old chains adjustment being almost fully used up.
Im thinking I just shortened the whellbase of the Ducati by about two inches, that surely must effect the performance, maybe better cornering, easier Monos :shit: (not that I do them) and maybe other stuff.
Im interested to know everyones thoughts on this. :ride:
thanks
Quasievil

White trash
19th May 2004, 10:07
i'd be extremely surprised if it shortened it by two inches. I would of thought about 1 at the max, but then what the hell do I know about Ducks. :thud:

Quasievil
19th May 2004, 10:17
i'd be extremely surprised if it shortened it by two inches. I would of thought about 1 at the max, but then what the hell do I know about Ducks. :thud:

I just measured it :Oops: , it is 3.5 cms shorter than it was, what ya reckon

White trash
19th May 2004, 10:21
I've just looked at our 900ss and yep, you're right.

I'd say the last chain must've been well and truly buggered!

Quasievil
19th May 2004, 10:23
I've just looked at our 900ss and yep, you're right.

I'd say the last chain must've been well and truly buggered!

I finished it off on the Waikato ride on Sunday :devil2:
Do you think it would make a difference, I know I can ride it and find out, but I want to know technically also

k14
19th May 2004, 10:28
A new chain will make a hell of a difference. Last year when I got new chain and sprockets for my VT250 it felt like a completly new bike. Because it doesn't flex as much it looses less power therefore you rear wheel will have more power.

Most race teams replace the chain after every single race, cause it looses so much power after even one race.]

I need a new one for my CBR, but will have to wait a few weeks. $250 on a student allowance isn't easy to find, lol.

FzerozeroT
19th May 2004, 11:13
wouldn't an old chain flex less cause it already has the stretch taken out of it. The advantage to changing then would be in the fact that the chain rollers will meet up perfectly with the sprocket teeth and therefore less friction, also new chain stretchyness would be better for engine/trans longevity giving a bit of give between front sprocket and tyre (same as the little rubber bits that are between rear sprocket and rim)

White trash
19th May 2004, 11:17
I finished it off on the Waikato ride on Sunday :devil2:
Do you think it would make a difference, I know I can ride it and find out, but I want to know technically also

Two inches less wheel base will make a hell of a difference, you're right. Also, it could make the bike less stable.

Quasievil
19th May 2004, 11:35
Two inches less wheel base will make a hell of a difference, you're right. Also, it could make the bike less stable.

Less stable in what condition, cornering or high speed stright line stuff ??

k14
19th May 2004, 11:40
Less wheel base will make it better round the corners (more nimble) but less stable at high speeds. But you probably won't notice the high speed stability too much, but it should corner better.

pete376403
19th May 2004, 12:57
wouldn't an old chain flex less cause it already has the stretch taken out of it. The advantage to changing then would be in the fact that the chain rollers will meet up perfectly with the sprocket teeth and therefore less friction, also new chain stretchyness would be better for engine/trans longevity giving a bit of give between front sprocket and tyre (same as the little rubber bits that are between rear sprocket and rim)Chains don't stretch, but all those pins and bushes wear. So it's gone from having nice round pins rolling in nice round bushes, to oval or worse pins and bushes. Now the bushes won't align correctly with the sprockets, so there's an adjustment going on there, all the way around the sprocket, which absorbs power.
The "rubber bits" in the rear sprocket hub are to dampen out the shocks that occurs as a result of uneven power transmission.

New chains and sprockets are better, and thats that.

FROSTY
19th May 2004, 13:11
your bike is shorter therefore fractionally easier to mono and will turn in a little bit easier.
The length is desighned by ducati to be within their handling specs with new or worn out chain :niceone:

pete376403
19th May 2004, 16:08
More chain trivia - race bikes invariably have the o-ring chains replaced with non o-ring, for less rolling resistance. Every little bit helps, and chain life is one of their lesser concerns (as long as it lasts the race)

madandy
20th May 2004, 06:13
My axle is near the end of its adjustment yet the chain appears to be in ok condition.The sprockets are holding their shape and the chain doesnt have a lot of twist in it.
How exactly will I know its time for a new one.And should I change sprockets with chain even though the old ones appear un worn?

Quasievil
20th May 2004, 07:20
My axle is near the end of its adjustment yet the chain appears to be in ok condition.The sprockets are holding their shape and the chain doesnt have a lot of twist in it.
How exactly will I know its time for a new one.And should I change sprockets with chain even though the old ones appear un worn?

That the chain will get loose very quickly, it will rattle it will twist if held out in front of you (once off) it is rusty or it just looks like shit, a chain shouldnt last longer than 10,000 km after that it gets in poor condition

White trash
20th May 2004, 07:50
, a chain shouldnt last longer than 10,000 km after that it gets in poor condition

What? I'm pretty sure a chain should last longer than 10,000. Mine already has and I'd say that old anal Jimbos will still be going strong at 50.

The Author of The Bikers Bible, Graham Alardice has travelled over 70000km on the original chain using a Scott Oiler.

F5 Dave
20th May 2004, 10:11
Depends lots on the bike & how often you oil it & what weather you ride in. Singles & twins tend to wear chains quicker as the power delivery is lumpier than fours.

Italian bikes probably come out with something like Regina chains. Chain companies make several grades of chain. I don’t know if Regina make a good one but I have never seen one.

I have just taken the original 35 thou km DID chain of my Yam. The only reason I am taking it off is to do a 520 conversion (saved 1.25kg over 532) & lower the gearing. The chain did not need replacement & I’ve only adjusted it a couple of times. Did scrape a fair old amount of old chain lube from the side cover though.

Just bought a Scotoiler for the touring bike though, man I am getting old :disapint:. The Sport bike will never see one though. Only gets ridden for 500k at a time at most & in the dry.

vifferman
20th May 2004, 10:36
I just measured it :Oops: , it is 3.5 cms shorter than it was, what ya reckon

That sounds like an awful lot of stretch. Are you sure the new chain is the same pitch and has the same number of links as the old one? Even allowing for humungous stretch, 3.5 cm doesn't add up.

Your bike should be marginally quicker steering, but it shouldn't affect the stability much, as you haven't changed the steering geometry significantly. If anything, it should be better, as having the rear axle further up the swingarm should have made the back fractionally lower, thus very fractionally decreasing the effective steering head angle and increasing trail. Marginally.

The other thing is crappy old chains eat up horsepower (measured at the rear wheel), through frictional losses.

Cajun
20th May 2004, 12:17
What? I'm pretty sure a chain should last longer than 10,000. Mine already has and I'd say that old anal Jimbos will still be going strong at 50.

The Author of The Bikers Bible, Graham Alardice has travelled over 70000km on the original chain using a Scott Oiler.

The wife has done over 10,000kms on her chain and it still looks factory, and its only been adjusted like 3 times in its life, but she also rides smoothly, the more you are hard on the gas will do more wear to it,