PDA

View Full Version : Alternator grommet Silicon - What kind?

Brett
8th June 2006, 21:01
I have just realised that I have an alternator cover, and gasket...however I dont have any silicon to put around the alternator lead grommet. Obviously it has to be non-reactive with oil.

What have you guys used to seal around these sort of things? Just normal old silicon or is there a particular automotive/engine silicon.

The sealant recommended in the service manual is Kawasaki Bond which looks to be just a normal silicon sealant.

What?
9th June 2006, 06:20
Just normal old silicon?
NO!!!! (assuming the alternator is in oil - if it is dry, then every day silicone sealant is fine)

or is there a particular automotive/engine silicon?
Yes. Several different brands around. Check out your local engineer's supply shop, or Repco.

Brett
9th June 2006, 07:47
No it is submerssed in oil, so i will go get some automotive silicon form repco or Mt Eden Motorcycles...cheers for the help!

Motu
9th June 2006, 08:20
Kawasaki Bond is not ordinary silicon.You need an OE type silicon sealer - you can tell these because they don't have the vinegar smell that gets up your nose - Permatex or Loctite ''copper'' or ''grey'' are the ones I use.

mjvduc
9th June 2006, 10:15
one of the best stuff I have ever used: motorsil D and ducati driver should know there business:shutup: :shutup: :shutup:

mjvduc