PDA

View Full Version : Sitting your Restricted License

Pages : 1 [2]

eldog
25th April 2017, 14:33
if you want tallish soles you have to go for a tramping boot which do work well but are just not as tall as proper bike boots.

One poster said maybe if I couldn't reach the ground then maybe I need different boots, just how tall are proper bike boots?

What do you wear?

russd7
25th April 2017, 19:10
I always wondered how they actually assessed you for your restricted - completely forgot that intercoms existed!! I was thinking that maybe they sat on the back with you!!! :facepalm:

beleive it or not there was a time that intercoms did not exist, (wireless bluetooth ones anyway), but we still had to do the graduated licence for m/bikes, when i did my full it was a case of the cop following me and evaluating my riding, the whole test took ages, if i remember correctly i think it was something like 10 mins from the time i put my helmet on till i was walking out of the council offices with my licence

russd7
25th April 2017, 19:14
Proper bike boots are usually calf height but have very thin soles.
I wear various versions of Kathmandu type tramping boots. Tramping boots have thicker tread too so wont wear out so quickly when walking in them. I have no problem with gear shifting or braking wearing tramping boots.

motorcycle boots are not made for walking, and old school trailies the likes of XRs/XLs and XTs and PEs and ITs were fairly high and most didin't seem to have a problem with them.

granstar
25th April 2017, 20:29
motorcycle boots are not made for walking, and old school trailies the likes of XRs/XLs and XTs and PEs and ITs were fairly high and most didin't seem to have a problem with them.

But a few did, gutters are my best friend :weird:, didn't sit my bike test, cop asked if I had my bike licence yet, when I said no he said" well seen ya ridin about on that Triumph 500, looks like ya can handle it" then stamps B beside the just passed A (car) I was sitting at age 15.

Joys of living in a small town in the 70's. :msn-wink:

Hads
26th April 2017, 09:11
The old school trailies were much lower than today's adventure bikes (as an example). I used to own a few and could touch the ground fine with motorbike boots like you too. If you dont believe todays bikes are taller go and have a sit on one. The Yamaha Tenere series is the tallest of the adventure bikes that I know of. When I rode in motorbike boots I had no problem walking when I got off. Stuff having to change in and out of your shoes when you want to get on and off your bike.

Just to continue the thread derail... I use a boot meant for adventure riding, they have good grip in the mud and are quite a tall boot so good protection from sticks and rocks. The sole of the boot is also quite thick, I have no issue reaching the ground on the KDX 200 while on the road, but imagine I could have issues on steep slopes or uneven terrain, but I think thicker boots wouldn't help much there either.

pritch
26th April 2017, 09:49
Some vertically challenged people get the soles on their boots built up to make themselves a few millimetres taller. That can help, but you need to take that into consideration when you buy the boots because it isn't possible with a lot of boots. If that's a plan seek professional advice from the person you intend to use to do the job.

Tramping boots are designed for tramping which funnily enough doesn't include riding motorbikes. I wouldn't wear my various tramping boots on a bike for different reasons, ranging from they wouldn't fit under the gear lever, to the laces might get caught up in the sidestand or other ironmongery which would lead to embrrassment when you went to put the foot down. Tramping boots offer no protection to your shins.

Some motorbike boots are OK for walking, some would require you to do a Robot Cop impression, complete with sound effects.

rastuscat
6th May 2017, 18:19
Bike boots aren't made for walking. I've worn out some stupidly expensive BMW boots while walking around in them.

So now I wear Magnums when I know I'm going to be mostly walking around. They last far longer.

I wear my motorcycle specific boots when riding lots.

quickbuck
27th November 2018, 16:00
Bike boots aren't made for walking. I've worn out some stupidly expensive BMW boots while walking around in them.

So now I wear Magnums when I know I'm going to be mostly walking around. They last far longer.

Good tip... my last pair of boots didn't last long at all.
We do a lot of walking during a typical day.

Euge
2nd March 2021, 14:46
Just wondering if anyone has done this test of late in Christchurch and can give any tips and or information about what to expect. I see allot of past reviews etc but nothing that recent.
Thanks

rastuscat
15th March 2021, 19:19
Just wondering if anyone has done this test of late in Christchurch and can give any tips and or information about what to expect. I see allot of past reviews etc but nothing that recent.
Thanks

Look up the NZTA CBTA guidelines. Pages 8 and 9 tell you exactly what is involved.

Lots of instructors in Chch do tests. I used to be one of them.

Anything specific you want to know?

scumdog
15th March 2021, 19:30

Magnums here too:shifty:

Best of both world imho.

(But holy thread dredge Batman!)

jim.cox
15th March 2021, 19:42
Magnums here too

Not for me

Comfortable, Yes.

But they aren't up to my working conditions - on steep ground the soles rip away. Been through several pairs.

Meindl GTX Combats for the win around here

rastuscat
15th March 2021, 19:50
Magnums here too:shifty:

Best of both world imho.

(But holy thread dredge Batman!)

Company issue stopped a while back for me Scummie