PDA

View Full Version : Sitting your Restricted License

Pages : [1] 2

crashe
9th June 2006, 11:26
The website about the restricted license practical test: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/motorcycle/motorcycle-r-practical.html

Some tips for you all to read before doing the restricted test:
Stopping - Place both feet on the ground, yes one foot at a time (if that is how you do it), but do place them both down, so that the instructor can see them both planted firmly on the ground. But you must wait, so that the bike isn't moving at all.
(Pretend that you are waiting on a car to go past even if there isnt one there)
If you have put the bike into 1st gear, then yes, keep your clutch in as you won't want to stall the bike. As it can be hard sometimes to get the bike into neutral.

Indicating - Make sure you do it and then turn them off. Especially at roundabouts when exiting them. Also if the taking off place is in a parking lot, use indicators in there as well and exiting the parking lot.

Speed - Keep to the correct speed limit.

Lanes - Stay more to the middle of the lane, rather than to the far left or near the white line.

Lights - Stop even if they turn ORANGE and especially when they are RED.
They can fail you for failing to stop on a orange (depending on the tester)

Mirrors - Check them regularly - cos the tester may be in a car and indicating to you ahead of time. Definitely move your head, so that it is obvious that you are checking your mirrors.

L Plate - Make sure it is on your bike BEFORE you go there.
If you don't have one already, you can buy them at the $2 shop.

Polite - Be damned polite to the tester when you greet him/her, but dont over do it thou.

License - Have it on you and also a ph bill or something like a ph bill with your home address on it.

Motorway - Please refer to quote in the box at the bottom of my first post.
It is most doubtful that you will go on a motorway for your restricted, but do enquire ahead of time. Let them know that you will be doing 100kph if you go on the motorway when you are sitting the 'restricted test'. If they say you must not go over 70kph. Then quote them from the box below.
Otherwise stick to 70km and do not go over that speed limit.

Bike - Make sure it has a current Rego and current WOF on it. Also make sure everything is working and nought is hanging off it.

Be On Time - Arrive on time, at least 10 minutes ahead of the appointment time. Never be late or you will have to pay again for another appointment.

Following distances - Even when pulling up at intersections. Don't follow to closely and don't sit to close behind at intersections either.

Visors - If you have got a dark tint or iridium visor, it may pay to keep the visor up, whilst doing the test then at least at intersections and when stopped you can make eye contact, with the tester in the mirrors (as he/she will be looking).

Obstacles - Some testers after the test, may ask you about things, that were on the road or roadside, so be observant at all times.

Take off - Take a few deep breathes before you take off and have fun.

Cost - Contact your local LTSA website or your local AA (Automobile Association).
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/motorcycle/index.html

What do I need for the riding tests?
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/28.html

Your motorcycle must:
* have a current warrant of fitness (WoF) and be up to WoF standard, and
* have a current licence label (sometimes incorrectly called 'registration' label) showing.
You can't use a moped for a restricted or full license practical test.
You must have an L plate showing for a restricted license practical riding test.

Good luck its a breeze and you will pass no sweat.

Footnote: If you think you have lost your tester, STOP and wait for him/her to catch up.
If you lose him/her completely, and he/she goes back to the start off point without you, it aint good.
So always keep the tester in your view.

:scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter:

Footnote: See rule below highlighted re riding over 70km when ONLY doing your restricted test.

Land Transport (Driver Licensing) Rule 1999
Part 4 Learner licences, restricted licences, and full licences (r 15 to r 19)

[(d)in the case of a Class 6L licence, where the holder is riding a motorcycle, the holder—

(i)must display on the vehicle an “L” plate as specified in clause 66; and
(ii)must not—

(A)drive between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am; or
(B)drive at a speed exceeding 70 km/h, unless taking the restricted licence test for a Class 6R licence under clause 48(5); or
(C)drive a motorcycle that has a total piston displacement exceeding 250 cm3; or
(D)carry another person on the motorcycle or in a sidecar attached to the motorcycle]

Footnote: If you think you have lost your tester, STOP and wait for him/her to catch up.
If you lose him/her completely, and he/she goes back to the start off point without you, it aint good.

Really?

I was always taught that you should ride your own ride and let the tester take care of himself...

When I took my full test in the uk, through no fault of my own I managed to lose the instructor for a few minutes, couple of cars got between us at a roundabout, I could still hear him on the intercom so just kept going and he caught me up fairly quickly.

Is it different over here then?

crashe
9th June 2006, 11:39
Yep there have been cases of the tester loosing the rider..... and the tester heading back to the start off point and FAILING the rider once the person got back there.
The tester is giving instructions all the time, not always by intercom instructions, but only by indicating only.

So if the rider gets too far ahead of the tester, how will they know where they are to go? Tester's change the route every so often. Some testers will go a different way each time.

Big Chim
10th June 2006, 23:34
I did my test on friday and before the test the tester said i can't asses you if i cant see you and if you lose me just pull over and wait.

rwh
11th June 2006, 00:59
Motorway - Stick to 70km and do not go over that speed limit should they ask you to go on the motorway.

Is it normal to be asked to go on the motorway for the Restricted test? I haven't got my Learners yet, but was planning to avoid the motorway until I have my Restricted, on the basis that riding at 70 on the motorway would be kind of dangerous ...

nicmotors
11th June 2006, 09:34
Is it normal to be asked to go on the motorway for the Restricted test? I haven't got my Learners yet, but was planning to avoid the motorway until I have my Restricted, on the basis that riding at 70 on the motorway would be kind of dangerous ...

Your absoutly correct.
It is a bit dangerous at 70 k's, just ride to the conditions and your skill level. sometimes you can't aviod the motorways. loose ya L plate, blend in, and relax, tho be very carefull (as always).

Ever noticed how few bikers wear an L plate???

apteryx_haasti
11th June 2006, 09:57
...on the basis that riding at 70 on the motorway would be kind of dangerous ...

HI there, I have had my learners for about 2 months and I do go on the motorway. I do wear an L plate (not a big fan of the idea of an instant $400 fine for not having one) but, after a lot of thought and reading some of the threads on the subject, I have decided not to stick to 70 kph on the motorway. I call that rule "a good recipe for road paste". I think the consensus seems to be - go with the flow of traffic, but do not go over 100 kph. Even some of the cops on KB say they would not ticket a L-plate rider for going over 70 kph (but they would for not having the L-plate in the first place!). Having said that, when I sit my restricted, I'll go 70 on the motorway if they ask me to ride on there...

I guess time will tell if my approach is a good idea - time and any copper that pulls me over for going over 70! :innocent:

Flatcap
11th June 2006, 10:40
Stopping - Place both feet on the ground, yes one foot at a time (if that is how you do it), but do place them both down, so that the instructor can see them both planted firmly on the ground. But you must wait, so that the bike isn't moving at all.

I can't see anywhere in the road code where this is a consideration. I would argue I am much more stable with left foot down and right on rear brake. This is also ideal for hill starts.
Where in the road code does it say that placing both feet on the ground when stopped is key?

crashe
11th June 2006, 10:44
Fairlie - This is more so, for when you are sitting your TEST.

Some testers have failed riders as they believe that the bike wasn't stopped, when only one foot was on the ground.
So the best way to prove to testers, is to place both feet on the ground.
:scooter:

Flatcap
11th June 2006, 10:47
Aaah - I see

Sounds logical now...ride during the test with all safety aspects exaggerated...

John Banks
11th June 2006, 16:32
One idea was to put a white sticker or something similar on the back of your helmet (if it's black) so the tester can see when you're moving your head. Of course, it may make you look stupid... but that's what you get for buying a black helmet . :whistle:

Mikey27
28th June 2006, 13:34
also turn your head and look when you pull away, don't just rely on your mirrors. they do look for this

mops
28th June 2006, 13:57
damn. I'm due to sit my restricted. how much does it cost ?
Is there any preffered day or time of day to have it (aroun 10-11am the traffic is least in central auckland).

Damn I forgot when my bike's warrant is due....

crashe
28th June 2006, 14:07
damn. I'm due to sit my restricted. how much does it cost ?
Is there any preffered day or time of day to have it (aroun 10-11am the traffic is least in central auckland).

Damn I forgot when my bike's warrant is due....

Cost - Contact your local LSTA website or your local AA (Automobile Association).

I reckon anytime when the kids are in school....... school hours :whistle:

hsvboy06
28th June 2006, 18:21
When I sat my full test the tester followed behind me in a car with no intercom. He didn't signal to me while I was riding, either. Before I set off, he just said "go down this road, turn left into that road" etc. Sometimes I didn't even understand the street names because he mumbled, but more than anything, as I explained to him, I had only just moved to the town and had no idea where those streets were, so "please forgive me if I get lost". I ended up going the wrong way 3 times! Each time the tester went the right way and just waited for me to back-track and catch up. Luckily I did find him each time! And I passed! I guess my riding was ok, it's just my navigation that sucks.

Gremlin
29th June 2006, 01:09
Fees breakdown (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/motorcycle/index.html)

As for time of day, it depends what you have trouble with, and whether you mind traffic and busy situations.

Personally, I would choose heavy traffic, as I can't break 55kph very easily that way, and I can cope with heavy traffic fine. Did end up riding right past a school as it was coming out, and it was farken chaotic...

mops
29th June 2006, 16:34
i think my diring is ok, i'm just affraid of loosing the dude. aswell i kinda dont understand howcome is he supposed to signal where i'm supposed to go when he's following me in a car....

Gremlin
29th June 2006, 20:18
When driving along, he signals in advance, and you have to keep looking in your mirrors to see if he is indicating. ie. If he indicates left, you take the next left, and vice versa. If he puts his headlights on, you need to pull over etc.

Its all explained before you set out together. What/how the instructor wishes to do it may vary, they'll tell you. Its also an excellent way to make sure you use your mirrors enough.

As for loosing the person, keep an eye out constantly, be extra vigilant around intersections etc. It doesn't happen too much. I suspect the tester actually tested me once, as traffic was clear, and he didn't pull away with me. I didn't have any troubles. If you think you are losing them (maybe a few vehicles behind), pull over and wait.

andrea
5th July 2006, 19:10
i got my restricted last week saturday it didnt take that long, anyways all of the above what crashe just mentioned is all right. before doing the test my instructor gave me acouple pointers and he slapped on a L-plate on my bike for me held on my rubber bands lol. my tester was a lady she followed me in her car but before we headed off she told me where to go first and then stop, then she would come up and tell me where to go next, i just had to make sure to check my mirrors to make sure she was still at the back of me. and if she signalled left it meant that i had to turn down the next intersection, or if she signalled left and pulled over then i would do the same and she would come up and tell me my next route to take. all in all it went good and the only thing i done wrong was when i was going through the roundabout. we did get separated once, where she ended up one car at the back of me, but luckily the car turned.

bert_is_evil
19th July 2006, 12:44
When I sat mine the tester gave me instructions through a headset - he would tell me when to turn at the very last second. Afterwards he passed me but said "you could signal a bit sooner" so I guess the lesson is signal as soon as they give you the instruction to do so.

Hawkeye
19th July 2006, 15:21
The thing that bothers me in all of this, is that unless the tester has a headset so that I can hear him/her, I need to spend my time watching the mirrors to make sure I know when to indicate/turn. I would much rather be looking where I going and scanning for possible problems.

Where do I go in Welly to get a tester with radio contact?

Str8 Jacket
19th July 2006, 15:28
Where do I go in Welly to get a tester with radio contact?

Book at LTNZ Tory St to sit your restricted in Kilbirnie. You'll start at the bowling club and the guy will give you a headset. Well thats what happened for me anyway...

Hawkeye
19th July 2006, 15:42
Book at LTNZ Tory St to sit your restricted in Kilbirnie. You'll start at the bowling club and the guy will give you a headset. Well thats what happened for me anyway...

Thanks for that Str8.
I would much rather spend the ride concentrating on what I'm doing rather than being pre-occupied with not losing the bugger.:yes:

bert_is_evil
19th July 2006, 15:49
You can also book it for the city to start at Tory St - they have headsets as well, though the tester did have a thick accent that was hard to understand so Kilbirnie might be your best bet (they just have a longer waiting list)

07fatboy
29th August 2006, 13:31
You can also book it for the city to start at Tory St - they have headsets as well, though the tester did have a thick accent that was hard to understand so Kilbirnie might be your best bet (they just have a longer waiting list)

Well have been riding motorcycles for 20 years im still alive but went to go for mine ,this is in arssie of corse,but took me 4 goes cos i went to the test with an attitude (why should i do what this clown wants me to do im older than that little shit ive been riding when he was still in nappies)...Long story short I had to swallow my pride take a lesson after 3 rd failure and a threat to kill the assessor,and leave my attitude at home and play the game for 1 day ...in the end it was that easy i wondered what all the fuss is about i now ride how i wanna ride not how they want you each to there own good luck with it all keep the rubberside down:rockon: :rockon: :scooter: :Punk:

JT.
2nd October 2006, 09:33
Great advice in the first post, sat mine the other day and when we got back all he said was "thats fine, ill go write ya licence"

I got directions from him indicating, didn't take every second turn and he gave plenty of time so no worries

Booked mine for 8am, hardly any traffic around here then. Check your area for what times are best. Take your time and don't worry if you have to wait a while for a gap, he has to pull out too. Usually you wont have to worry about following distance either, you'll be the only one on the road doing 50k :baby:

mops
2nd October 2006, 09:51
i'm booked for wed's 11th oct on 8:30 am
fingers crossed ;)

only thing i'm concerned it my eyesight check, most likely i wont pass that...

got my L plate finally, and now I have to attach it ;)

McJim
2nd October 2006, 10:12
i'm booked for wed's 11th oct on 8:30 am
fingers crossed ;)

only thing i'm concerned it my eyesight check, most likely i wont pass that...

got my L plate finally, and now I have to attach it ;)

I can't believe they test your eyesight again and again and again in this country.

I had to get an optometrist certificate to convert from UK licence. Then I had to get another optometrist certificate for bike licence now I'll have to get ANOTHER fuggin optometrist certificate for my restricted licence coz they only last 6 months DESPITE MY EYESIGHT NOT HAVING CHANGED IN 36 YEARS!

Can't do the test at the AA place coz I have monocular vision - if in doubt ask Sarge what that means.

PS the eye that does see is like 6/5+ (better than 20/20)

mops
2nd October 2006, 10:39
where are you getting your eyetest done ?

Last time i did it 3 times. first optometrists just wanted to sell me glasses, and he diagnosed me wrong for that matter.

i went to akl uni optometrist and they were diagnosingy my eyes for 2 hours ! but the prescription they gave me was damn great...

in the end i went to GP and they made me read eyechart and said it is good enough to drive/ride...

McJim
2nd October 2006, 11:27
There's a place on College Hill, Ponsnobby that charges $10. Cannnot remember their name but they were pretty quick.

Usually when getting my eyes tested I try to cut to the chase and say "Can I just read the bottom line please?" and when they say "Okay" I reply "Printed in Taiwan, can I go now?":rofl:

Both times I've had my eyes tested here the optometrists have not had good things to say about the eyetest machines.

crashe
2nd October 2006, 11:38
Standard eye test is $15.

Go to the one on Lincoln road Henderson, west Auckland, in that little mall where Pak an Save used to be
Just ask for a standard eye test... explain it is for a license and he knows what is required.

A eye test from your GP is also good enough for your license if you fail the one at the AA place.

Then zap over to AA on Central Park Drive to do your test.

Disco Dan
3rd October 2006, 17:08
woah, didnt even think about that headset thing! How the smeg are you meant to be 110% focused on road hazards when your looking behind you half the time!

Plus my bike is so tiny i have to squeeze my arm right out the way to see behind me!!

ANYBODY KNOW A PLACE IN WEST AUCKS THAT USES HEADSETS?? I dont think westgate does??

(orrible place, westgate, had first accident as a newbie rider there on the way back from picking up my learners!)

Colapop
3rd October 2006, 17:11
Headsets are good but could be better. When I did mine test awhile ago the headset kept giving me a blast of static every 30 seconds or so. Fark it was off putting.

mops
10th October 2006, 13:59
omg, omg, ppl i'm sitting my restricted toomorow morning 8:30 am at quay street in auckland.....
I managed to attach the L plate yesterday :)
I'll report back when i'm done ;)

mops
11th October 2006, 10:17
Allright !
I passed ! :banana: :wari: :banana: :wari: :banana: :wari: :wari: :
testing officer wasnt very friendly, but i think he was still objective. It was raining. we just went around little residential streets. stopped over on the car park, he asked me to do couple of fig 8's and then do emergency stop with both brakes wihout skidding. then i was riding and watching him in the mirrors where he is turning, but it was easy as it was residential road so the speed was low and he indicated heaps before.

Scary thing was that just after I arrived, before I even got a change to say good morning, he asked me to do the eyesight test (which I failed 6 months ago on the learners test), but this time I passed (few lucky educated guesses)

RenegadeMaster, thanks for the luclky 'L' plate ;) i was riding with it for whole 3 days ;) I'll pass it on to another learner ;)

NighthawkNZ
14th October 2006, 22:12
:

When I went for my test... the cop said ride here... here and then up to here here... basically it was around the bloody big block... heheh I had to borrow a 250 froma bikeshop cause the bike I owned at thetime was a XJ650.

and away we went... I was back half way through a cigerette waiting on the cop... :cool: he comes over and said "well seems you know what you are doing..." I actually told him about the 650 and all hesaid was "take it easy on it"...

Having said that I did have a CB250n but it was in the shop for repairs at the time... and rode that most of the time as I rebuilt the 650

Hawkeye
14th October 2006, 22:33

This is exactly what I did a few month ago.
Tester gave me a head set, went around a few residential streets, 15 mins and Hey presto, I had my restricted. (thanks for the info str8).

All I need to do now is apologise to the friend that I managed to drop the bars of his wife's bike I was test riding today onto the wing of his cage ....
Took her 500 for a test ride, absolutely loved it, pulled into the drive next to his cage (north face of the eiger slope). Missed my footing as I came to a stop. Misjudged the weight of the bike and ended up putting the bar end straight into the middle of the front wing of his cage. Bugger.

Up side is my misses appears to have agreed to the purchase of the bike.
Yeh!

Steam
4th December 2006, 14:23
I arrived to do my restricted test at AA Lower Hutt, I booked there because they confirmed they used a headset for all motorcycle tests.
But Nope, the chappie who tested me didn't have one, said he said he didn't like them when I asked him about it.
The other tester at the AA Lower Hutt had a headset, but this tester didn't.

I passed anyway, but I will call the AA to complain. I already complained to the testing man himself.

Sanx
4th December 2006, 14:53
AA Westgate didn't use headsets when I took my full licence about two months ago. So, for the 45 minute test, I had to look in my mirrors the whole time to find out where the tester was indicating. It didn't help that even at 80kph, the tester was tailgating me - only about 4 metres behind. I had to stop halfway through and ask him to keep his bloody distance. Lots of stopping for me to identify potential hazards ("none", "none", "none", "none", "f'ing big truck").

Just remember to do the two foot shuffle on take off. Left foot down and rioght foot on the brake, right foot down to change back to 1st, left foot down then right foot on the brake. Oh, and look over your shoulder when moving off.

Mamba
13th December 2006, 14:50
How long does the test take? do they test you in the parking lot as well?

Can you possibly be driving too slow and get failed for thet? I mean if you are driving 50 in a 70 zone?

crashe
13th December 2006, 15:09
How long does the test take? do they test you in the parking lot as well?

Can you possibly be driving too slow and get failed for thet? I mean if you are driving 50 in a 70 zone?

Test time - depends on the instructor... some have only been 20 minutes some 45 minutes.. allow up to 1 hour.

Parking lots - play safe and indicate when turning into different aisles.... oh and indicate when leaving the parking lot onto the road.
I always say "If in doubt INDICATE"

If its 70km zone then do that... unless the car/s in front are going slower then go with the flow.

If you do go 50km in a 70km area have a good reason for it if the instructor asks you why....

On a motorway the speed is 100 but you are allowed to go slower (cant recall the actual speed at the moment)

Kwaka14
13th December 2006, 15:10
woah, didnt even think about that headset thing! How the smeg are you meant to be 110% focused on road hazards when your looking behind you half the time!

Plus my bike is so tiny i have to squeeze my arm right out the way to see behind me!!

ANYBODY KNOW A PLACE IN WEST AUCKS THAT USES HEADSETS?? I dont think westgate does??

(orrible place, westgate, had first accident as a newbie rider there on the way back from picking up my learners!)

Westgate Does, but they're pretty dodgy....

Mamba
13th December 2006, 15:47
Scary thing was that just after I arrived, before I even got a change to say good morning, he asked me to do the eyesight test (which I failed 6 months ago on the learners test), but this time I passed (few lucky educated guesses)

An eysight test? What do they expect you to check there? Indicators, stop lights, brake lights and oil leaks?

Disco Dan
6th February 2007, 12:04
Going to sit my restricted tomorrow... wish me luck folks ;) hehe

...now to find a 250cc bike to turn up on.... :innocent: hehe

Disco Dan
7th February 2007, 22:02
oh almost forgot.....

after swaping bikes with Morcs for the day and cruising around on his Bandit, I go down to the testing station to be told the rear tyre is bald and I would need to get another bike to sit test... grrrr... a quick trip to Henderson Motorcycles and they lent me their local 'whore bike' (everyones had a ride GPX250) ...scooted back down and did my test, the bloody bike cuts out half way through and wouldnt start, managed to push start it then the clutch was slipping (too much lubricant for the whore) but managed to pass the test!

Was happy that the dude actually used a headset and told me where to go.. but would you believe it... I still managed to take a wrong turn... :shutup:

back to my luvy 600cc beasty girl for some mway fun now... :innocent:

pixc
7th February 2007, 22:11
Oh well done sunshine...i sit my restricted tomorrow...at 3:30...with all the school traffic :(

xwhatsit
8th February 2007, 13:04
One thing that I'm interested about is the directions the instructor gives you. I know in Australia (at least in the cage test), that we were told that the instructor might tell you `turn left here' but if you turned right instead, but did it legally using your indicators etc, it was completely fine. Is it the same here? Because it's quite likely I will fuck up his directions, or not see his indicators in my mirrors.

Disco Dan
8th February 2007, 15:14
One thing that I'm interested about is the directions the instructor gives you. I know in Australia (at least in the cage test), that we were told that the instructor might tell you `turn left here' but if you turned right instead, but did it legally using your indicators etc, it was completely fine. Is it the same here? Because it's quite likely I will fuck up his directions, or not see his indicators in my mirrors.

the old fella that took mine in westgate AA used a one way radio - ear piece went in my ear and little walkie talkie in my jacket pocket. Told me to nod my head when he gives me an instruction so that he knows its been heard/understood. I still managed to take a wrong turn... "turn right by the white truck" ..white truck moves.. i go wrong way..

it's a piece of cake to pass it, the hardest part is not being nervous!

pixc
8th February 2007, 16:46
I was as nervous as hell. I passed through gritted teeth and biting of toungue. The instructor was a grumpy old cunt with no patience. He gave me directions too quickly, and when I tried to confirm, he was very short with me. The traffic was very busy and I lost him for about 10 seconds. When he caught up after I stopped, he went on at me for not waiting for him..and how was he going to test me if I wasnt going to wait. There was no safe place to pull over...he was a dick! The next part I rode slower so that he wasnt left behind...then he complained that i was going too slow!..he was a dick!

I still passed. ..hes still a dick

Disco Dan
8th February 2007, 16:55
I was as nervous as hell.

I still passed. ..hes still a dick

Glad you passed, dont worry about him now! Have cerimonial burning in the back garden of your L flap :yes: ...or just take it back to the shop and get your money back ;)

pixc
8th February 2007, 17:03
Thanks Disco Dan.

Im booked in for to sit my Full Car license on the 21st...im going to request I dont get the same guy.

Ive had my restricted car license for 14 years.

DUCATI*HARD
8th February 2007, 17:29
i always stop on my left foot ,not both,,and when stopped bike should be in 1st gear,ready to take off???

j_redley
9th February 2007, 23:14
I thought that when sitting your restricted test, its the only legal time you can travel at 100kmp/h instead of 70? Its actual legislation, Im damn near positive.

crashe
12th February 2007, 08:48
I thought that when sitting your restricted test, its the only legal time you can travel at 100kmp/h instead of 70? Its actual legislation, Im damn near positive.

Nope because you still ON your learners license.

ONCE you have passed the restricted test, then and only then can you legally do 100kph on the motorway.

So, if the instructor, wants you to go on the motorway or open road to do your restricted, you MUST NOT go over 70kph.

Indiana_Jones
12th February 2007, 08:55
Well I never had to go on the m-way for my restricted, I don't think many people do. I just rode around Browns bay for 10mins :D

-Indy

j_redley
13th February 2007, 00:39
Nope because you still ON your learners license.

ONCE you have passed the restricted test, then and only then can you legally do 100kph on the motorway.

So, if the instructor, wants you to go on the motorway or open road to do your restricted, you MUST NOT go over 70kph.

Actually no, I found the legislation I was sure existed, and for those of us who will be sitting restricted licenses, its perfectly legal to travel at 100kmph in a 100 zone.

[(d)in the case of a Class 6L licence, where the holder is riding a motorcycle, the holder—

(i)must display on the vehicle an “L” plate as specified in clause 66; and
(ii)must not—

(A)drive between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am; or
(B)drive at a speed exceeding 70 km/h, unless taking the restricted licence test for a Class 6R licence under clause 48(5); or
(C)drive a motorcycle that has a total piston displacement exceeding 250 cm3; or
(D)carry another person on the motorcycle or in a sidecar attached to the motorcycle]

crashe
13th February 2007, 08:30
Actually no, I found the legislation I was sure existed, and for those of us who will be sitting restricted licenses, its perfectly legal to travel at 100kmph in a 100 zone.

Wow..... thanks for actually finding it....... much appreciated.

I stand corrected......

Rockbuddy
17th February 2007, 16:07
I sat my restricted a couple of months ago, before we started the tester said to me that part of the route is an 80km limit and for the test im allowed to exceed my 70km restriction , I did , I also passed my test. so i guess it depends on the person testing you , :rockon:
P.S the only time I ever had an L plate on was for my test

j_redley
17th February 2007, 16:13
It shouldn't matter who the person is, for the test according to Law as posted your allowed, and they can't make their own standards of the law.

On the same subject of the restricted, though Iv got a few months yet, Im not too keen to do it on the KR. Its only got one mirror, and the speedo is really shakey, I wouldn't be able to see signals behind me if I needed to. Any hints on where I can borrow a bike from more suited to the restricted test?

Meekey_Mouse
17th February 2007, 16:18
It shouldn't matter who the person is, for the test according to Law as posted your allowed, and they can't make their own standards of the law.

On the same subject of the restricted, though Iv got a few months yet, Im not too keen to do it on the KR. Its only got one mirror, and the speedo is really shakey, I wouldn't be able to see signals behind me if I needed to. Any hints on where I can borrow a bike from more suited to the restricted test?

If there is a motorbike riding school near you, you should be able to hire their bikes for the test :)

Lucy
19th February 2007, 15:25
I sat my restricted a couple of months ago, before we started the tester said to me that part of the route is an 80km limit and for the test im allowed to exceed my 70km restriction , I did , I also passed my test. so i guess it depends on the person testing you , :rockon:
P.S the only time I ever had an L plate on was for my test

Why are people so proud of not using the L plate?

Rosie
19th February 2007, 16:06

Because it shows that they live dangerously and aren't afraid to be on the wrong side of the law. :dodge:

Chrislost
20th February 2007, 21:07
it means you can exceed 70kms while driving through the countryside!

i sat my restricted today, passed too!
even broke my Lplate off part way through my test hahaha(not sure exactly how tho, think it was when a van got between me and the guy)

also found out that CBR250s do wheelies:gob:

UnMaimed
15th March 2007, 17:08
Howdee people,

Been lurking for a wee while, but since I just passed the R-test as of this afternoon I thought I'd sign up...

Actually the reason was to add to this thread, if you are in CHCH the info I got from the tester whas that only the Shirley AA uses ear pieces. (I happened to go there!).

So if you are in CHCH looking for a test with a ear piece - there you go!

hitch
18th March 2007, 11:13
Thanks for the awesome thread a good feedback to read, I have just got my learners so will take heed when the time comes.

peasea
19th March 2007, 20:48
If you're clever enough to be able to read, can stay upright on a motorcycle while changing gear and get to your destination then you can not only get your restricted, you can your full license as well. If I can do it; so can you. Enjoy your motorcycle, ride safe and live long.

Petale
22nd March 2007, 21:18
I failed the eye test and now have to wear my glasses! Anyways. sitting my restricted on tuesday, got my L(oser) plate all ready to go. Wish me luck!
And Thanx for all the great advice!

Scorpygirl
22nd March 2007, 21:22
I failed the eye test and now have to wear my glasses! Anyways. sitting my restricted on tuesday, got my L(oser) plate all ready to go. Wish me luck!

All the best Petale. Might have to put my restricted back a tad due to crash last Friday. Hope all goes well.

peasea
28th March 2007, 22:39

I always fail the eye test, something about my right eye not talking to the left when looking down those two mis-matched Fallopian tubes at the testing 'authority'. A quick trip to the optometrist and I have the correct paperwork. My eyes are fine, it's my brain that's fuzzy.

mops
2nd April 2007, 14:09
It's seems like few weeks ago I was sitting my restricted and few weeks before that sitting my L :). As of last week however, I help my Restricted for 6 months, and I'm allowed to take my Full license test (as i'm over 25).

Goodie, goodie. I need to to find out what full test consists of, prepere muself and book one out :)

and then 1000cc worth of torque here I come ! nah, seriously I think I'll go master 600 cc bike before i go 1000cc...

Northpoint
16th April 2007, 01:06
Yeah its good to know what needs to be done to pass (going) the speed limit seems to be a good start) :)

Arthur
1st May 2007, 10:41
I got me restricted test on Friday - I think it's about time I got my arse into gear on that score... Got to go into work tomorrow to fit some silly little piece of yellow plastic too...

caesius
10th May 2007, 14:14

I think for a lot of people (myself included) don't want to risk a cop seeing you cruising along at 100kph on open roads or motorways with an L-plate. I mean, if a cop was in a bad mood or it was a highway patrol (why are most of them so unreasonable?) then a bike keeping up with traffic with a yellow plate on the back must look pretty tempting to pull over.

In saying that, last time I was pulled over I received a $400 fine for not displaying one - so you're screwed either way I guess.

rphenix
19th July 2007, 22:28
I always fail the eye test, something about my right eye not talking to the left when looking down those two mis-matched Fallopian tubes at the testing 'authority'. A quick trip to the optometrist and I have the correct paperwork. My eyes are fine, it's my brain that's fuzzy.

The fix for that is the following:
There is three columns but you might only see two. Before saying anything "settle in" and close your right eye, you will see two columns of characters to read, now open your right eye and close your left you will probably see a different set of columns one will be familiar (the middle one) so with that you can read out all three columns without any issue and the tester wont know the difference.

Theres nothing wrong with your vision your brain just trusts one eye a little more than the other!

Matt_TG
19th July 2007, 23:24
I have recently been through the eye test twice (restricted and full) and did the same thing. Closed right eye, started reading, slowly, closed left eye and carried on across. Otherwise the middle column just swims all over the place for me.

light
7th September 2007, 12:52

my eyes do the same, problem is one eye is a little worse than the other one so its harder :)

then again in saying that I argued with the lady b'cos I had just passed the police eye test for driving cars at high speeds so what the hell was her problem? haha she passed me and I didn't go to police college in the end.

I need to sit my restricted in the next couple of weeks. Im on the northshore can anyone recommend a good place to go?

JATZ
25th September 2007, 20:43
O.K. can I sit my restricted licence on a 49 cc scooter or do I have to find something bigger.

Matt_TG
25th September 2007, 22:43
I believe that you have to sit your restricted on a bike of a class that meets the criteria of the licence. You don't need a restricted to ride a 'moped' scooter so you couldn't sit it on that, but if it was a scooter that was registered as a motorcycle (ie over 50cc or 2kw output) you could possibly use that. Can it get to 70km/h? As that's one of the restricted licence 'perks' it could be relevant.

Edit: Just found out the answer, looks sorta like I wrote:

What do I need for the riding tests?

Your motorcycle must:

* have a current warrant of fitness (WoF) and be up to WoF standard, and
* have a current licence label (sometimes incorrectly called 'registration' label) showing.

You can't use a moped for a restricted or full licence practical test.

You must have an L plate showing for a restricted licence practical riding test.

TOTO
31st October 2007, 16:13
Are we allowed to get restricted on a scooter 125cc?:confused: asking because scooters are automatic you know so i'm not sure , do you need a real motorbike or scooter is fine for licence sitting ?
thanks

fireliv
31st October 2007, 16:18
When I did mine the guy said if there was a gap that was big enough for me and not him, just to go and pull over and wait for him. He said that if I went the wrong way just to pull over and he will come back, if he wasnt there after a few mins just to go back. I did lose him at the second to last corner, so just went to the carpark and passed fine.

fireliv
31st October 2007, 16:19
Are we allowed to get restricted on a scooter 125cc?:confused: asking because scooters are automatic you know so i'm not sure , do you need a real motorbike or scooter is fine for licence sitting ?
thanks

I think it has to be a motorbike, though not 100 %. Just had a mate that had a 125 scooter and used another mates bike for the test.

sunhuntin
31st October 2007, 19:54
im just a bank loan away from buying a 500, so will be hopefully going for my restricted next week.

how long do i have to be on that for? is it possible to go to the optometrist before the test and then skip the crappy eye test that always fails?

does anyone besides the aa do license testing, or are they it?

cheers!!

Lteejay
31st October 2007, 19:58
im just a bank loan away from buying a 500, so will be hopefully going for my restricted next week.

how long do i have to be on that for? is it possible to go to the optometrist before the test and then skip the crappy eye test that always fails?

does anyone besides the aa do license testing, or are they it?

cheers!!

You can definitely go to the optometrist before hand and get the paperwork. Just hand it over when your doing your paperwork before the ride and you dont need to do the eye test. I did this on Monday. Good luck - actually you dont need it. It is such an easy thing to pass, unless you do something stupid like not stopping at stop signs etc.

sunhuntin
1st November 2007, 20:43
You can definitely go to the optometrist before hand and get the paperwork. Just hand it over when your doing your paperwork before the ride and you dont need to do the eye test. I did this on Monday. Good luck - actually you dont need it. It is such an easy thing to pass, unless you do something stupid like not stopping at stop signs etc.

cheers... went and booked in today and bluffed my way through the eye thing. am going at 10.45 on wed the 7th. EEK! hopefully it aint raining... will post my results.

mops
2nd November 2007, 07:14

Hi. Can you advice how exactly this is done ? and where in Auckland can you obtian those forms ? When you you went through that procedure ?

I called AA and asked for forms (for the optometrist to fill out), they told me thay no longer issue blank forms, instead i need to go to my optometrist and he has to requoest forms from them for me. So I called my GP (who did my eyecheck las time around) and they said they are not aware of any such procedure, and i should bring the for to fill in.

So my bottom line now i got restricted, BUT i'm not required to wear glasses when driving (for next 10 years). but if i go and fail the eyetest i'll have condition on my license that i have to wear glasses..... so that's the risk :)

sunhuntin
2nd November 2007, 10:40
not sure for auckland, but the opt. should have forms there, or will sign something to say your eyes are ok... maybe try them instead of the docs?

i bluffed the eye thing yesterday, closed one eye, read the first two boxes, closed the other, read the middle and last boxes. lmfao. strange... was able to see the flashing lights fine, but not all 3 boxes. even when she switched the lights off for one side, i could only see the middle and last boxes.

if your eyes are ok, just try what i did, close one and read, then the other and read.

PrincessBandit
5th December 2007, 21:50
Your absoutly correct.
It is a bit dangerous at 70 k's, just ride to the conditions and your skill level. sometimes you can't aviod the motorways. loose ya L plate, blend in, and relax, tho be very carefull (as always).

When I did my restricted it was just around a nice quiet semi-rural/semi-residential area with no speed zones more than 70. Was a piece of cake. And yes I did sometimes go on the motorway to work (only heading south past Papakura) with my L on. Never got caught, and must admit to feeling a bit naughty for doing it. When I did my full my tester reminded me beforehand about things like sticking to speed limits, checking mirrors etc. I thought it was very nice of him (although wondered if he might have thought I's a bit thick). Having said that, I did almost run out of petrol on my way home after the test......:doh:

caesius
13th December 2007, 10:27
I just passed my restricted. :first:

My instructor was fine, lacking any kind of emotion though. He had the cool walkie-talkie set up, I felt like a bit of an idiot riding around with a receiver clipped to my jacket but hey.

It works, the radio set up the use, he repeated instructions twice so you couldn't miss them. He said we were going to go into some 100km/hr zones and I was to go as fast as I felt safe (no upper limit...? I feel safe at 160 clicks hahaha), so I cruised along at 100.

We got back, he took my radio, said "come inside and I'll write you your licence". "Be safe on your bike" he said and it was all over.

Makes me wonder if they just pass people if the look confident on a bike, I mean there were no check boxes or such that I saw.

Oh well, another goal accomplished, I'm having a celebratory Steinlager. To anyone planning on sitting 6R, don't panic - it's not difficult. Just stay calm, remember to emphasize what you do normally (mirror checking etc) and you'll be fine.

Yay.

TOTO
25th December 2007, 15:38
I booked my restricted yesterday for the 22nd on Quey St. in Auck City. Aill let you know how it went. Is there a website that sais exactly what the restricted licence involves ?

TOTO
25th December 2007, 15:41
Just found the website about restricted licence practical test: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/motorcycle/motorcycle-r-practical.html

cheers

sweetp
15th January 2008, 20:56
After reading this thread I was a bit nurvous about sitting my R test - even went with a list of questions such as "do you want me to go 100km?" etc. He just interupted me and said forget everything you have heard I will tell you what you need to know.

The walkie talkie didn't really work but the test was just him following me for about 10 min - nothing over a 70km zone and then doing the u turn in the car park. I did put my foot down (bugger) but i got hit by a big gust of wind just as I was turning. He still passed me and said that they "take things into account".

Really it wasn't a bad experience at all, I think the key thing for me was to book at rush hour so I wouldn't be able to spead and to try to relax.

I was hard - I got lost, we couldn't get a gap in traffic, I put my foot down in the u turn but I got through it and all he could say at the end was "indicate sooner".

All the best to you folks sitting your test, and if you are in Wellington the guy at the Mount Vic station is not bad at all.

Maffoo
18th January 2008, 13:36
so does anyone know the best place to do the restricted in Napier?
i would prefer somewhere with headsets, this business of looking behind to follow instructions sounds ghastly

crashe
18th January 2008, 13:43
so does anyone know the best place to do the restricted in Napier?
i would prefer somewhere with headsets, this business of looking behind to follow instructions sounds ghastly

You aren't turning around/looking behind for instructions........ you are using your mirrors to see them indicating..... a quick look in them is all that is required on a regular basis. Easy as.

Contact Yungatart as she has done a test recently in Napier.

Maffoo
18th January 2008, 13:47
i did mean the mirrors thing when i said looking behind, as opposed to turning my head :)

i shall talk to yungatart about it, cheers

nivram
25th February 2008, 19:40
Stitting my R6 on Wednesday in Kilbernie, Wellington I'll try not to f it up at $88 at go it could et expensive.

kazza_nz_05
25th February 2008, 19:47
After reading this thread I was a bit nurvous about sitting my R test - even went with a list of questions such as "do you want me to go 100km?" etc. He just interupted me and said forget everything you have heard I will tell you what you need to know.

The walkie talkie didn't really work but the test was just him following me for about 10 min - nothing over a 70km zone and then doing the u turn in the car park. I did put my foot down (bugger) but i got hit by a big gust of wind just as I was turning. He still passed me and said that they "take things into account".

Really it wasn't a bad experience at all, I think the key thing for me was to book at rush hour so I wouldn't be able to spead and to try to relax.

I was hard - I got lost, we couldn't get a gap in traffic, I put my foot down in the u turn but I got through it and all he could say at the end was "indicate sooner".

All the best to you folks sitting your test, and if you are in Wellington the guy at the Mount Vic station is not bad at all.

Hey SweetP. Good on you for getting your restricted. I haven't been out on the bike that much this year, as I had a bit of a scare coming home from work (wellington Hospital) on the motorway in the afternooon, and it was blowing a gustly northerly. I held on for dear life...lol...Got home in one piece, but I really don't like the wind that much. A few bikers past me on bigger bikes and I was thinking do they not feel the wind as much as me...
Need to get out and practice a bit more before I sit my 6R, can go for it this month, but haven't even hit 1000km on my bike yet. Bit premature i think.;

Blimp1
29th February 2008, 13:47
Yep i also did mine at Mt.Vic with a radio and apart from hurting my ear (its wrapped in old sticky tape so its not the nicest thing to be stuck in your ear) all was well. I was just told to check side streets etc. more because they pose more danger than they do in a car. Oh and i fucked the u turn up big time but he didnt mind because the rest was fine..

Weaver
29th February 2008, 13:56
Yep i also did mine at Mt.Vic with a radio and apart from hurting my ear (its wrapped in old sticky tape so its not the nicest thing to be stuck in your ear) all was well. I was just told to check side streets etc. more because they pose more danger than they do in a car. Oh and i fucked the u turn up big time but he didnt mind because the rest was fine..

You had to do a U turn?

I did mine in Upper Hutt, starting at Repco.
Mine was; Left at round about, right, left at next round about, left and stop. Start, right at stop sign, right, left, rightand stop. Start, left, straight through round about, left onto motorway (did 100kph not 70kph), left off motorway, right at round about and stop.
That was it. Was only about 10-15 minutes of riding, maybe 5 or 6ks. Did the remaining paper work on the side of the road. Done :D

Blimp1
29th February 2008, 14:02
Yeah in the carpark and i botched it up totally! It was nearly crusing around with one foot permanently on the ground. Mine was a few loops around the streets then a quick burst along the 70kph area, turn around in another carpark then done. We did stop about 3 times for the guy to do some marking and it took about 15minutes also.

The hardest part was trying to find a place to mount the damned l plate.. eventually found screws on the back of the rego plate which are there for that reason as they dont do anything else i can find.

Radar
12th March 2008, 19:58
Oh and i fucked the u turn up big time but he didnt mind because the rest was fine..

How did you f-up the U turn?
I think the motorcycle road code book says that you should stop and turn your bike as if parking it, look both ways, then do the U turn.
Is this what should be done?

Blimp1
15th March 2008, 14:04
How did you f-up the U turn?
I think the motorcycle road code book says that you should stop and turn your bike as if parking it, look both ways, then do the U turn.
Is this what should be done?

Well it was in a car park so you just ride up and then do a u-turn.. i did that but basically kept my foot on the floor the whole time. First time I've done so poorly, so I'll put it down to nerves. He seemed to be fine with it.

Thinking back he got me to do a few around his car because of where he asked me to stop/he did in a different car park (where we turned around to go back to the starting point) and watched me then so probably marked me on that then

marioc
6th May 2008, 16:00
Just sat my 6R in Porirua passed no worries.
I would say though having read the info here my test at least was a bit more comprehensive than the majority of reports here.
Was at least 20 mins riding, with a hill start,3 U-turns and many stop and merges.
50 and 70 k zones.
Certainly nothing to worry about but was a bit suprised.

chubby
6th May 2008, 16:03
:2thumbsup maybe it was something you said or how you dressed or what you rode, or what the instructor had for lunch.... anyways, whocares, you passed and good on you.:clap::wari:

Take care now :blink:

PrincessBandit
6th May 2008, 16:08
My husband just sat his yesterday (and passed, woohoo) - VTNZ at Takanini. He was quite surprised as instead of giving batches of instructions then stopping at prearranged spots for the next set (how I did mine) he was told he'd be given no instructions and had to continually check his mirrors in order to "find out" what route he was to take. First time I've ever heard of that happening. To make things even more interesting, the weather wasn't so good so he used the ginny, even though he has an exemption for my 650 and could probably have used that: my point being that the exemption is due to his shoulders being so broad that he can't see in the mirrors of my GN and he actually got pinged by the examiner for not using them enough!!!! In hindsight maybe he should have taken my bandit but then the examiner might have had a hissy over that. Son, Ripper Roo92 sits his R next friday....

mops
6th May 2008, 16:12
Awesome stuff...

I passed my DL-12 eyesight certificate test and I'll be sitting my for my full license very shortly.

Griffin
30th May 2008, 21:48
I sat and passed my Restricted on Tuesday - finally L plate free! From what Im reading on here it seems that though there is a set criteria to be tested on, the test itself and the way it is executed is as many and varied as the places it can be taken...!

Regarding the U turn, My tester watched me perform it on a quiet back street. I just rode ahead, indicated left as if pulling over moved to the left and then indicated right, I checked ahead of me and behind me (both mirrors and over the shoulder while riding at around 5kph) and then executed the turn - he said it was just what he was looking to see.:scooter:

Tumbles
31st May 2008, 01:12
Not that I plan on doing this at all (pla the game for one day and all that) but just interested if anyone has ever lane split (legally) during a restricted test?

rphenix
9th June 2008, 16:35
Your absoutly correct.

I've seen an L plate on a bike not much bigger than a postage stamp/packet of raisins sure it wouldn't quite qualify as an L Plate but maybe the officer would get enough enjoyment out of it to only give a warning (for that bit anyway)?

EYNON13
19th September 2008, 16:27
yeah im due to go for my restricted but i dont think ive ever used a L plate looks a bit dodgy on a 650 trump doin 140 on the motorway but there is sum dodgy testers around as well,my basic handling test i turned up on the trump payed the $50 and the guy gave me my paper just loked at me and my mate an said so youve been riding for a while then,bu other than that this thread has sum good advivce

quack
5th February 2009, 00:10
Blah screw restricted licences... The fuckn government just wants to reap in more money

Clubbie
5th March 2009, 10:02
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the various and often funy tips in this thread. Did my test yesterday and passed it.

Was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.

NOWOOL
29th April 2009, 13:04
I rode on motorways at 100kph with my L-plate showing. twice with a police car behind me. Never got pulled over. I had rather put up with explaining why I was over the speed limit (cars on my rear tyre) than be rear-ended or cut-off.

Same goes for when I took my restricted test. I went 100kph and the instructor didn't bat an eye.

monkeymcbean
7th May 2009, 17:52
When I sat my full test the tester followed behind me in a car with no intercom. He didn't signal to me while I was riding, either. Before I set off, he just said "go down this road, turn left into that road" etc. Sometimes I didn't even understand the street names because he mumbled, but more than anything, as I explained to him, I had only just moved to the town and had no idea where those streets were, so "please forgive me if I get lost". I ended up going the wrong way 3 times! Each time the tester went the right way and just waited for me to back-track and catch up. Luckily I did find him each time! And I passed! I guess my riding was ok, it's just my navigation that sucks.

I had two different people take me for my learners and final test, it was very inconsistant as far as putting you through your paces, my 6 month test was way harder than my final one. The final one was a joke, really.

Paladin
17th June 2009, 16:12
I'm taking my Restricted on Monday and have checked with the Licensing Centre & with Andrew Templeton who runs Roadsafe MC Training Co in the Welly area about this whole having to have two feet down when you come to a stop bizness.

Basically its bollox!

The requirement is that you come to a complete stop in a safe manner and that can be demonstrated to the examiner that you are in fact actually completely stationary.
The way the examiner knows that you are definitely at a complete stop and not even a tiny bit moving is by seeing AT LEAST one foot on the deck with the brake(s) on, ie he can see your left leg/foot is staionary on the deck! Andrew Templeton teaches that as you come to a dead stop the right foot stays on the rear brake and the left foot is put down as the safest way to come to the stop position(ie you have front AND rear brake engaged) & then you can change feet from there to engage gear WHILE front brake is on with right foot then been put down.

Hope that helps everyone!

entro
17th June 2009, 16:37
I'm taking my Restricted on Monday and have checked with the Licensing Centre & with Andrew Templeton who runs Roadsafe MC Training Co in the Welly area about this whole having to have two feet down when you come to a stop bizness.

Basically its bollox!

The requirement is that you come to a complete stop in a safe manner and that can be demonstrated to the examiner that you are in fact actually completely stationary.
The way the examiner knows that you are definitely at a complete stop and not even a tiny bit moving is by seeing AT LEAST one foot on the deck with the brake(s) on, ie he can see your left leg/foot is staionary on the deck! Andrew Templeton teaches that as you come to a dead stop the right foot stays on the rear brake and the left foot is put down as the safest way to come to the stop position(ie you have front AND rear brake engaged) & then you can change feet from there to engage gear WHILE front brake is on with right foot then been put down.

True thats interesting, I sat my restricted a few weeks ago and the person taking my test specified she saw me with both feet on the ground as she wrote out my temp license....might pay to have both on the ground just to be safe eh :)

Woody2
17th June 2009, 16:50

Basically its bollox!

Good luck with the test Dave, I'm sure you will fly through - biggest drama I had was the earpiece they supplied fitting inside my rather snug helmet -I pulled over about 4 times to redo it because I couldn't hear the tester. For the full test I will need to scure it somehow - maybe a balaclava under my helmet.
Also DRZ has new D606s and is all road legal, will give you a holler at some stage to catch up!

Cheers
Daryl.

Holy Roller
20th June 2009, 10:20
The feet down thing is after one has come to a complete stop, then the feet are put down. Same as with when the basic handling test was done.

6ft5
20th June 2009, 10:42

Basically its bollox!

Dude, I have used Andrew's skills on a number of occasions and he has helped me through getting the full. Anyone would be a fool not to listen, if only to get your license. Andrew lives with the testers and knows what they look for. What you do afterwards is your well your choice.

:doh:

EatOrBeEaten
14th July 2009, 11:35
Just passed mine, down at Quay street :D

Easy as, only fault was forgetting to indicate whilst merging on some little road, but he was cool about it. Went really quickly, no manouvres or anything else. Easy as!

firefighter
14th July 2009, 11:51
Fairlie - This is more so, for when you are sitting your TEST.

Some testers have failed riders as they believe that the bike wasn't stopped, when only one foot was on the ground.
So the best way to prove to testers, is to place both feet on the ground.
:scooter:

Aaah - I see

Sounds logical now...ride during the test with all safety aspects exaggerated...

This actually proves nothing.......I have no problems moving along with two feet on the ground........

I didn't do this and neither has anyone I know......and we all passed both resricted AND full tests......
If a tester is going to fail you for this they'll fail you no matter what.......

If you really are that concerned about ask your tester about it......I bet they think your a muppit like mine did.

It's stupid advice which somehow became 'commonplace'

it's absolue bollocks............sorry but it is

ready4whatever
23rd July 2009, 11:13
"if you get back to the testing station in 2 minutes you've past"

ready4whatever
29th July 2009, 11:25
i passed my 6R yesterday. piece of cake. I passed with no previos experience on the road. i hired the bike then rode around for half an hour before the test to get used to it, then passed. i have a full cage licence. so i just put 2 and 2 together

p.dath
29th July 2009, 11:39
i passed my 6R yesterday. piece of cake. I passed with no previos experience on the road. i hired the bike then rode around for half an hour before the test to get used to it, then passed. i have a full cage licence. so i just put 2 and 2 together

I assume you have had some off road experience then. You'd be unlikely to jump on a bike with no prior experience and just pass the 6R.

Tink
30th July 2009, 14:57

I assume you have had some off road experience then. You'd be unlikely to jump on a bike with no prior experience and just pass the 6R.

"No previous experience on the road" !!!!!!!!! so ye p.dath I agree, must have had something apart from a car.

It helps to have driven for 25 years I agree >>me... I found riding easy, once I found the confidence the rest just flowed.

metalslug
16th August 2009, 19:29
Doing my 6r tomorrow!

Just a question: on LTNZ website it states that they can fail you if you do not stick to the left hand side of the road. Now does that only applies to a double lane (i.e. you should move to the left lane?), or does it means you should be riding on the left side of your lane?

Personally I have always been trying to stick to the centre so ppl dont pull a desperate pass...etc..

Thanks!

crazyv
18th August 2009, 22:01
Is it true that you can do the motorcycle 6R license on a scooter?

(I do realise that you don't need a license to drive a scooter and that driving a scooter defeats the purpose of riding your own bike on such a test but the question needs to be answered) :done:

Hope someone knows?

sil3nt
18th August 2009, 22:10
It needs to be registered as a motorcycle. So not a 50cc scooter but a 125 or 250 etc should be fine.

(could be wrong though!)

nothingflash
21st August 2009, 17:23
I was booked in today for my restricted at Upper Hutt AA and failed the bloody eye test as i couldn't see the middle column. The lady told me to go to the optometrist and get them to test me. She said "You'll probably pass - these machines are a bit sensitive". What pisses me off is that if (or apparently when) I get the report from the optometrist I have to pay another $48 to sit the test again. Talk about fucking daylight robbery!

Moral of the story - do your eye test at an optometrist beforehand and take the report with you to the AA or wherever you sit the test as their machines are useless.

nothingflash
25th August 2009, 18:24
I was booked in today for my restricted at Upper Hutt AA and failed the bloody eye test as i couldn't see the middle column. The lady told me to go to the optometrist and get them to test me. She said "You'll probably pass - these machines are a bit sensitive". What pisses me off is that if (or apparently when) I get the report from the optometrist I have to pay another $48 to sit the test again. Talk about fucking daylight robbery!

Moral of the story - do your eye test at an optometrist beforehand and take the report with you to the AA or wherever you sit the test as their machines are useless.

Passed the optometrist's tests yesterday - $75 - and re-booked my restricted - $48 - so being $123 worse off I've complained to LTNZ. Should be interesting...not :crybaby:

nothingflash
28th August 2009, 15:35
Passed the optometrist's tests yesterday - $75 - and re-booked my restricted - $48 - so being $123 worse off I've complained to LTNZ. Should be interesting...not :crybaby:

Got my restricted today :banana::2thumbsup will see how my complaint goes...:mad:

nothingflash
28th August 2009, 15:38
Got my restricted today :banana::2thumbsup will see how my complaint goes...:mad:

Actually I thought I had failed when I rode off with my helmet strap not done up:oi-grr: i pulled over and explained what was up to the examiner when he stopped. He said basically that earned a positive mark as he did notice and hoped I would do it before he had to tell me (we had an intercom) so happy with that.

Simon
30th October 2009, 09:04
What the deal with waiting at lights/traffic etc. Can i flick the bike into neutral, with my elbows on the tank? Or do i need to wait in gear with the clutch in, ready to move off…

mops
30th October 2009, 10:34
AFAIK.
when you are stopped, neutral is ok.
Id even say recommended.
possibly holding front brake.

both feet on the ground.
you still have to hold steering bar.

Simon
30th October 2009, 10:40
Booked for westgate next weekend at 7:30am... eek

Mudfart
17th January 2010, 12:18
im gonna book my 6r for next days off work, do they ask any theory questions? or is the test prctical only with maybe sum observation questions?

Mudfart
14th February 2010, 17:07
ok, test is tuesday, only 1 question!
Is the indicating at roundabouts rule the same for bikes as cars?.
Meaning, if ur going straight thru a roundabout, you indicate turning right, then at halfway point on roundabout, you cancel right and indicate turning left!, and then exit the roundabout.
Its harder to do on a bike than in a car, and definately really really ghay.

GOONR
14th February 2010, 17:18
ok, test is tuesday, only 1 question!
Is the indicating at roundabouts rule the same for bikes as cars?.
Meaning, if ur going straight thru a roundabout, you indicate turning right, then at halfway point on roundabout, you cancel right and indicate turning left!, and then exit the roundabout.
Its harder to do on a bike than in a car, and definately really really ghay.

It's the same as for car's, if you are going straight through don't indicate onto the roundabout, just when you are exiting.. See here (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/about-riding/giving-way-at-roundabouts.html)

varminter
14th February 2010, 18:37
Don't ya just hate those fuckers that indicate right at a roundabout then go straight ahead, death's too good for them.

Mudfart
15th February 2010, 08:06
Don't ya just hate those fuckers that indicate right at a roundabout then go straight ahead, death's too good for them.

yep, i be seeing so many tards doin it, i thought it must be a new rule!

GOONR
15th February 2010, 08:13
yep, i be seeing so many tards doin it, i thought it must be a new rule!

Understandable that. Way too many people don't know how to indicate at roundabouts so it's impossible to work out what the rule is from watching others.

Good luck for tomorrow!!

Mudfart
15th February 2010, 13:30
thanks, I'm trying not to be nervous, but I can't help it. Its all part of the fun.
Its also great having the goal of acheiving my full by the start of next summer, having my 250 paid off, and using it as collateral for a bigger bike, YUMMY.

Cayman911
17th February 2010, 13:23
Woo restricted test 9am tomorrow at AA Meadowlands. after 2 years of having my learners.

the whole foot thing has me a bit confused. i feel weird havng left foot or both feet down. i usualy have my right foot down and left foot ready to go into second, since my first gear is so damn short.

hopefully it goes well. i hope i dont get the evil woman tester i got for my car licence. she was looking for any damn excuse to fail me. she was trying to fail me because i quote: " You are too confident".
but she couldnt fail me if ive done nothing wrong ;)

Mudfart
17th February 2010, 18:38
I went both feet down, when I stopped at some lights.
If your really crapping urself, you can ask instructor before u set off what they would prefer.
I thought it would be way more sensible to have right foot on back brakes!? I guess like everything else in this world, the motorcycle road code was written by some uni grad who had never ridden a bike!

Cayman911
18th February 2010, 08:47
just got mine. lol easy is an understatement.... went up a road, turned left, asked me to do a u turn.... and i hear on the radio "ahh your all sweet mate lets head back to the AA" :D
and he advised me to thrash my bike

Tink
2nd March 2010, 19:07
just got mine. lol easy is an understatement.... went up a road, turned left, asked me to do a u turn.... and i hear on the radio "ahh your all sweet mate lets head back to the AA" :D
and he advised me to thrash my bike

Was he on drugs...and can you tell me which testing station... !

Cayman911
8th March 2010, 21:29
Was he on drugs...and can you tell me which testing station... !

Haha he was the man! AA meadowlands

rustyrobot
10th March 2010, 18:29
The link at the beginning of this thread doesn't seem to be pointing to the right place anymore, and I didn't see this site mentioned anywhere else in this thread. Apologies if I AM doubling up though...

The official New Zealand road code for motorcyclists online (http://www.roadcodepractice.co.nz/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/index.aspx)

Has all the rules, restrictions, regulations and what is expected of motorcyclists (by the land transport agency). Great resource for learners and saves you buying the book! :)

atothek
17th March 2010, 10:01
sat my restricted yesterday in wellington (and passed) so thought i would give a rundown of the route. met the instructor at the bowling club in kilbirnie. tester was an indian or maybe sri lankan fella. had a headset which combined with his accent and the wind in wellington made it fairly hard to hear him. pretty good dude, had to wait for about 15 mins for him to fill out paperwork.

the route: turn left out of the bowling club then right at the lights onto the 70km zone. keep going throught the roundabouts until you get to the one that is goes round to the airport and turn right. follow this road all the way around the back of the airport. Turn right at the intersection- where the road ends (sorry guys not sure of the road names). Follow this road around under the runway tunnel (there were roadworks when I did it which meant 30kmh through here) keep going along the water front and turn right into the street where the shopping centre is. he got me to pull in just before a little street on my left where he made me go in and do a u-turn back out then go down the street a little bit and u-turn back towards him. turned back into the little street and test was over.

only thing he talked about was indicating a bit earlier but that has been covered a few time here. i'll try to add the street names in later when i'm home from work.

jedski
31st March 2010, 10:55
I have read the rule about if you are over 25 year old you are eligible to cut your restricted time down to 3 months. Does that mean a 25 year old is eligible?

denefoster
1st April 2010, 22:14
FWIW, just did the 6F at the Bowling Club in Mount Victoria. Instructor was pleasant and competent, had a radio. Track was mostly through the Mount Vic area, and mine was cut a bit short by the radio dying. Recommended location and test agent for anyone in the Welly region.

Tink
6th April 2010, 08:44
I have read the rule about if you are over 25 year old you are eligible to cut your restricted time down to 3 months. Does that mean a 25 year old is eligible?

I would check that out with the Land Transport, a simple yes or no... but get it in writing.

I have booked mine ... have to wait till the 22nd April though... nothing available locally. :( Can't wait to get the scissors out...and cut my L plate off once and for all :D

Tink
22nd April 2010, 08:14
Hopefully today is Scissor Day!

Mom
22nd April 2010, 08:15

You will be fine mate. Just make sure you come to a complete stop at stop signs and dont fall off. If you can ride all the way up here incident free then you are fine. Good luck!

GOONR
22nd April 2010, 11:20

Hope you have the scissors handy, you'll need them when you pass!

Tink
22nd April 2010, 17:58
You will be fine mate. Just make sure you come to a complete stop at stop signs and dont fall off. If you can ride all the way up here incident free then you are fine. Good luck!

Hope you have the scissors handy, you'll need them when you pass!

Geez that was easy.... till she handed me my restricted licence, and I stuff up the U turn... haha

Mom
22nd April 2010, 18:35
Geez that was easy.... till she handed me my restricted licence, and I stuff up the U turn... haha

HI FIVE!

Well done you!

Tink
22nd April 2010, 18:37
HI FIVE!

Well done you!

thanks... kind of a relief! Just another tick in the book of my life. :)

GOONR
22nd April 2010, 18:46

Nice one!!

BTW. How you finding the bridge these days?

Tink
22nd April 2010, 18:51
Nice one!!

BTW. How you finding the bridge these days?

LOL the bridge, only seen it the once, not been over it since the first time. I guess wind does not frighten me anymore though, I have toughened up quite a bit from those days of "not today" :)

Cayman911
22nd April 2010, 22:52

Every minute after your 25th birthday is a minute over 25 years old.

so yeah. go for it!

Tomc
7th October 2010, 20:01
Wich testing agent in the Manawatu area has a radio headset thingy? Im in Palmy but dont mind going out of town somewhere to do the test? Ive also heard the dude in Ashurst has a bike you can hire? Need to find a 250 to do it on.

Techno
8th October 2010, 17:18
I passed my retricted today!!

I sat it today in Lower Hutt; which I chose for a couple of reasons, it was close and they had walkie talkies. Except not today, just my luck they died just before the test began so we had to do it the old fashioned way: indicators and the horn :shit:

JK12
18th November 2010, 21:24
R Test @ AA Quay St at 8am next week (Peak traffic jam period?)

Is radio used or old fasioned way & lastly, do any of you know the route? cheers:yes:

GOONR
18th November 2010, 21:31
R Test @ AA Quay St at 8am next week (Peak traffic jam period?)

Is radio used or old fasioned way & lastly, do any of you know the route? cheers:yes:

I did mine @ Quay Street @ 8am... Cant remember the route, although I think the basic route (it varies) is posted here somewhere. It was just through the street's behind it really. It was easy as and if you have been riding regularly you should be fine. I did three U turns so make sure you're up to scratch with those.

It's with a radio and earpiece.

Oh yeah, good luck.

Dick Dastardly
18th November 2010, 22:14
Thanks for all the tips. Due to sit my restricted in just over a week so here's hoping nothing goes wrong.

JK12
20th November 2010, 11:46
I did mine @ Quay Street @ 8am.........

Hi, mine's at 8am as well. Will motorway riding be done ?
thanks bro

GOONR
20th November 2010, 11:49
Hi, mine's at 8am as well. Will motorway riding be done ?
thanks bro

Didn't do any for the 6R

Latte
20th November 2010, 13:37
Haha at 8am from Quay st you'd be riding a long time to find a piece of motorway not doing ~15kph.

JK12
5th December 2010, 02:51
the tester @ Northcross told me I can go at any speed on the motorway but he wants me to do 80 max for the 6R test

Radio+earpiece provided. I recommend wearing a jacket for the test so that u can put the walkie talkie set in it.

what I went through:

pull over x1
give way intersection x5
stop intersection x3
u-turn at cul-de-sac x4
roundabout x3
traffic light x2

remember to signal left for at least 2-3 secs b4 pulling over. both feet on ground. then when he give the move ahead command, signal right, turn over yr shoulder then go when it's clear.

as for making a u-turn @ cul-de-sac. I wasn't so sure about the correct way. what i did was, signal left, move bike to far left of road, signal right, turn head over shoulder and full turn. never even put my foot/feet on road or stop.

20 mins around the block, 2 mins on motorway (oteha - greville)

to first timers @ northcross: park ur bike down there and walk up to the 1st floor. dont just walk down there on ur bike. gud luck

Tubala
5th January 2011, 17:47
Hi all,

Looking to sit my restricted before the end of Jan and just wondering if anyone knows anything about the test route in Cambridge.

Thanks!

St_Gabriel
6th January 2011, 15:09
Hi all,

Looking to sit my restricted before the end of Jan and just wondering if anyone knows anything about the test route in Cambridge.

Thanks!

Sorry Tubala, dont know the route as I did my restricted test at 5 Xroads in Hams. Please let me know the route afterwards and what the examiner was like, as I will probably do my full in Cambridge and would think that there would be some commonality in the routes (though full is more thorough and longer). Hopefully do my full around end June

The Everlasting
6th January 2011, 16:25
I wouldn't worry too much about the route,when I did my test,I had no idea of the route i would take,but the instructions are very clear,and mostly easy to follow.

The testing officer said almost everyone passes their restricted test,there are very few that fail,and if they do fail,it's not because of lack of rider skills/motorbike control etc..,but because they broke the traffic rules ,if that happens they just terminate the test.

Tubala
7th January 2011, 18:17
I guess the only thing I really wanted to know is where the u-turns are, there are some pretty crappy streets out here lol.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

St_Gabriel
7th January 2011, 19:02
I practiced them shedloads before my test, only to find out that the u turns I did was 360 degrees around a roundabout. Was quite disappointed really. Really the test was a piece of piss. Try to relax and ride normally and it should be sweet (by normal I mean whilst still adhering to all applicable rules/laws)

Fatt Max
7th January 2011, 19:09
I wouldn't worry too much about the route,when I did my test,I had no idea of the route i would take,but the instructions are very clear,and mostly easy to follow.

The testing officer said almost everyone passes their restricted test,there are very few that fail,and if they do fail,it's not because of lack of rider skills/motorbike control etc..,but because they broke the traffic rules ,if that happens they just terminate the test.

Excellent advice, mine was the same. Just ride as you ride, remember the basics and dont panic. You can never be 100% assured of the route because the road changes every day with road works, accident sites, spills, all manner of things, That in itself is good practice for a rider.

Good luck, you will be fine and dandy

rastuscat
15th January 2011, 18:39
It would be a pity to know the route anyway. You'd be so damn focussed on the route that you'd forget that it's the riding skills that matter, not the specific road you are on.

Getting good on one particular route means you'd probably be a numpty anywhere else.

Nine
20th January 2011, 13:16
Just had mine today and passed, would just like to thank people for the info given in this thread it was awesome, now off for a ride...

racefactory
27th January 2011, 10:58
Sitting mine tomorrow- really hope I don't get a tester having a bad day!

lone_slayer
27th January 2011, 11:40
Anyone know the route for Taupo? And what the testers here are like? Sitting mine on Tuesday....

racefactory
28th January 2011, 15:56
pass!!! Cool as dude, no issues.

captain hopeless
20th April 2011, 12:23
Passed my 6r on Monday from Quay St. It was essentially a ten minute tootle around the block. Asked me to pull over & back into traffic flow. Asked for a U-turn on a wiiiiide and quiet street. The only things I particularly focussed on were indicating for 3sec and moving my head LOTS. Also stopping fully and looking L/R at stop signs.

:sunny:

evil_evo
31st January 2012, 12:20
Hi Guys,

I will be sitting my restricted license test in March, when I went to book my test I was told the test will be 1 hour long and much harder then previous test which was 30 min.

I have few question about this restricted license test

1. I have been reading this thread and it mentioned that when coming to stop rider should put down his left foot before the right foot, is this the law or personal preference ? I have been doing the opposite and sometime both feet at the same as I am using the front break.
2. In round about when going straight through or turning right say I start indicating on right 1st then close to exist I switch from right to left is it necessary to stop the indicator then switch?
3. When doing a U turn are you allowed to used your foot during the test?

Lastly is anyone here will be sitting the test after 25th Fed as this new rule will be introduced on 25th Fed if you are can you please share you experiences. I will share mine once I do sit my test.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

TrentNz
31st January 2012, 12:24
on feb 27th there changing it, so I'm going to try get mine before then. although I'm doing mine in a car.
its 45 min driving (riding) and 15 min checking your vehicle etc..

Simon
31st January 2012, 12:32
Hi there,

First things first - The single most important factor is to be safe steady confident rider. That means riding in busy traffic, pulling out of tricky intersections etc. All while scanning the surroundings, (including looking over your shoulder for merging etc), and positioning yourself in the safest position on the road. i.e. in line with the drivers wheel tracks. Start taking a few saturday morning rides through the city to desensitize yourself to traffic situation.

1) Feet shouldn't matter, provided you're stable.
2) If you are going straight through a round about, never indication onto it... Only when exiting.
3) Doing a U-turn, would have expected that you'd be able to do it feet up. ( or practice till you can) However, I do know a co-worker who "dabbed" and it wasn't an issue.

Take a deep breath, because you'll be fine. The mere fact that you're taking the time to ask questions means that you're concerned with doing well - So don't worry!

Simon
31st January 2012, 12:35
Here are some notes I made immediately after my full licence test - Might be useful for you.

Test format
Started with basic riding - Turn left, turn right.
Pull out of intersection left and right.

Hazard identification whilst making a U-Turn.
Hazard identification whilst making a right turn at an uncontrolled intersection.

High speed riding at 100kph
U-turn and home.

Take away thoughts
Position on the road - never left. Either centered in lane or righthand wheel track.
Good speed control - 5% less than marked limit, but rock steady.
Checking mirrors, but also remembering to check over shoulder lots- Always look.
Indicate a lot. Indicate to pull over, indicate to pull out, then to u-turn etc.

evil_evo
31st January 2012, 19:35
Thank you guys for your comment, I hope I pass my test... will update when I am done with my test.

evil_evo
1st March 2012, 13:13
Hi Guys,

Another question I have, are you allowed to take your hand(s) off the handle bar to say move up and down the visor? or say sometime you might need to rub your eye etc? I know it is a stupid question however I dont want to ask this question to the tested what if he fails me?

If you anyone can let me know that will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Maha
1st March 2012, 14:42
Hi Guys,

Another question I have, are you allowed to take your hand(s) off the handle bar to say move up and down the visor? or say sometime you might need to rub your eye etc? I know it is a stupid question however I dont want to ask this question to the tested what if he fails me?

If you anyone can let me know that will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

They wont fail you on that, probably just advise you ''better to wait till you are stopped to do that''...
When I did my restricted, I went up the inside of cars waiting at the lights (they were going straight through) because I was instructed to go left at the lights. I was just told it wasn't the done thing and heres why etc...but it was not a fail.

evil_evo
5th March 2012, 13:22
Guys,

Thanks for you help, I passed my restricted license today about 30 min ago. It was easy however instructor did take to mway for very short period of time. And I was close an hour inc checking the bike, radio etc.

Thanks again for your help and good luck anyone who is sitting their license test.

JustNick
6th March 2012, 11:15
Ok I just passed my restricted test today down here in Taupo and here's a wall of text to celebrate!

Cost:
Well I booked online 4 weeks ago to coincide with the end of my 6 month learners period. Booking 4 weeks in advance I had my pick of pretty much any day and time that I wanted. I opted for 10.45 which I figured would be a relatively quiet period not having to worry about school traffic etc.
The cost to sit the restricted test was $134.80.

Preparation:
Well I 've done a whole stack of riding in different conditions and riding environments in my first 6 months of riding. I did go out and practice a few u-turns the day before however just to be safe however. I also opted to go to the optometrist and have them do the eye exam before my test instead of using the eye machine at the AA centre, not that I have dodgy eyes I just find it easier to have all of my eggs lined up so to speak. The eye exam cost me $25.00 down here and was very straight forward. Look at the chart and a peripheral vision check. The optometrists have forms on hand and they just need to fill it out with pass/fail, test results and stamp it for you to take to the testing centre.

On the day:
You are required to show up 1/2 an hour before your test appointment if you booked online. This is so that you can fill out the required paperwork before the test. I had to produce 1 form of ID (drivers licence) and proof of address (bank statement). It only takes a couple of minutes to fill out the form which was a DL1 from memory. In the end I had a bit of time to sit around and twiddle my thumbs waiting for the tester to arrive which is all good.

Test brief:
The first thing the tester said to me when we were doing the pre-ride check on the bike was "the headset is broken" and "sign this form please". I straight away started think "garrrr". As far as the pre-ride check goes he could see that my lights and brake lights worked because I was sitting on the bike and he checked the WOF and rego. I was told to keep his car in sight at all times for the test.

The test itself:
Due to not having a headset, I was given instructions of what route to ride and when to stop for the next set of instructions.

Here's a list of some of the skills tested (as far as I could tell):
Left hand turns at giveways.
Around town riding.
Stop lights.
Pulling over to the side of the road.
Pulling out from the side of the road.
Right hand turns at stop signs.
Round abouts.
U-turns x 1.
50km/h
70km/h
100km/h
Riding past shops and a school.
Merging lanes.

The test itself took approximately 20 minutes including 2 stops for new instructions and was very straight forward. At the stop signs I was putting one foot down and was not told off for it. I was also doing the usual stuff; obvious mirror and headchecks, speed limit etc. I was never asked about hazards on the route but didn't have to employ some vehicular avoidance manouvres when I car tried to back out into my road space.

Conclusion:
The test was piss easy and going by the other descriptions on here it doesn't seem to have changed much at all to the original restricted test.

quickbuck
6th March 2012, 11:49
At the stop signs I was putting one foot down and was not told off for it.

What? As opposed to not putting your foot down?

I am not 100% sure on what "The Line" is from the testing officers point of view (Or instructors, I will have to ask Karel Pavich that one), however here is my take on it:

You should actually always have your back brake covered by your foot when you are stipped. Therefore your left foot on the ground only.
The reason for this is IF you are parked on a hill, you will need to apply the back brake to prevent the motorcycle rolling backwards while stationary, and it gives a much better hill start.

One could well argue that "This only applies to hills:.
Fair enough, it does.
HOWEVER, if you ride the same way all the time, without 1000 exceptions to every rule in your head, then it leaves your concerntration free for more pressing issues.
This means riding is a natural - "Sub-concious competance".

WELL DONE on passing your restricted. Keep up the good work, and remember, you never stop learning.

JustNick
6th March 2012, 12:23
What? As opposed to not putting your foot down?

I am not 100% sure on what "The Line" is from the testing officers point of view (Or instructors, I will have to ask Karel Pavich that one), however here is my take on it:

You should actually always have your back brake covered by your foot when you are stipped. Therefore your left foot on the ground only.
The reason for this is IF you are parked on a hill, you will need to apply the back brake to prevent the motorcycle rolling backwards while stationary, and it gives a much better hill start.

One could well argue that "This only applies to hills:.
Fair enough, it does.
HOWEVER, if you ride the same way all the time, without 1000 exceptions to every rule in your head, then it leaves your concerntration free for more pressing issues.
This means riding is a natural - "Sub-concious competance".

WELL DONE on passing your restricted. Keep up the good work, and remember, you never stop learning.

Yup fair comments all. Whilst reading through some of the threads on here there was some debate about the 1 foot vs 2 feet down at stop signs. I definitely agree with the reasons for having the back brake covered off.

aum108
1st May 2012, 13:38
Thanks largely to the advice in this thread, I just passed my Restricted.

Copped a long and detailed test here in Hami. Lots of turning scenarios, roadworks, temporary 30km/h zones, fresh tar and gravel. Also, turning from a dead stop into a 100km/h stretch, with a partly blind hill on one side. I made sure to check my left-side blind spot for pushbikes with every left turn and every roundabout exit. Also, check right-side blind spot with every right turn or lane change. And keep checking mirrors and side-streets.

Anyway, 40 minutes later, I was cutting the L plate off the back! :)

Otis243
28th July 2012, 13:14
My son's just about to take his restricted test.
The copy of the road code we have (only a few months old) states that the maximum speed for anyone with L-plates is 70kph (how dangerous is that?!) but I had heard rumours that this rule was being dropped and the maximum speed would be lifted to 100kph.
Does anyone know if this has come into force yet ?
Cheers

JustNick
28th July 2012, 14:08
My son's just about to take his restricted test.
The copy of the road code we have (only a few months old) states that the maximum speed for anyone with L-plates is 70kph (how dangerous is that?!) but I had heard rumours that this rule was being dropped and the maximum speed would be lifted to 100kph.
Does anyone know if this has come into force yet ?
Cheers

The 70kph rule was dropped as of October last year. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/about/media/releases/1405/news.html

Otis243
28th July 2012, 15:14
The 70kph rule was dropped as of October last year. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/about/media/releases/1405/news.html

Thanks Nick.

fpsollie
19th September 2012, 09:12
Sat my restricted on Monday here in Christchurch at the Papanui library.

The test went for half an hour even though when i booked it originally it said it would be for a hour long but not complaining!!

There was mostly back streets used, a u-turn in a 50km/h zone (down the end of a small resedential street), some round abouts, uncontrolled intersections, speed bumps, hazzard identification on 2 intesections, then we went into a 80km/h zone where i had to pull out into traffic from a stop and another u-turn. To me it seemed like the exact same route as i took for my full car licence.

nzbiker86
24th September 2012, 22:26
Sat my restricted on Monday here in Christchurch at the Papanui library.

The test went for half an hour even though when i booked it originally it said it would be for a hour long but not complaining!!

There was mostly back streets used, a u-turn in a 50km/h zone (down the end of a small resedential street), some round abouts, uncontrolled intersections, speed bumps, hazzard identification on 2 intesections, then we went into a 80km/h zone where i had to pull out into traffic from a stop and another u-turn. To me it seemed like the exact same route as i took for my full car licence.

Hey there,

Congrats on the test pass. Just wondered, with your u-turns, how much space did you actually get? I've been practicing in tight spaces and I am generally successful :) I take it the small residential street just gave you the basic 2 lanes worth of space?

Cheers

nzbiker86
27th September 2012, 12:54
Hey there

Just passed the restricted at Penrose. Was a 45 minute ride inc stop signs, giveways, uturns, motorway and low speed zones. Hazard identification....stopped twice and told me what to look for....I went down 2 quiet streets, so just made stuff up :) Make sure you mention testers car as a hazard.

Wear a hi-vis too, he noticed straight away that I was in all black and asked where my hi vis was, :nono: My bikes bright green dude!

Now I have the joys of waiting 12-18 months depending on when the CBT comes out next year.

Cheers

arcane12
25th October 2012, 06:51
Sat (and passed) my test last week.

Turned up on a Sukuzi LS650 Boulevard. I saw a couple of instructors muttering together when they saw it. Nothing came of it, but the instructor told me just before the test that he had been given the go ahead by his manager to allow me to use it (after they checked the list). Apparently they had not been updated by AA with the new LAMS bikes and might have had to turn me away by AA testing rules.

The test itself was fine, though I had a huge case of the nerves beforehand. Once I was on the road it was fine. I had a little issue with the "at the end of the road turn..." vs "at the next road turn....." over the headset they sound very similar, but I think I got them all right.

The U turn was fun. The road the use for it in Hamilton, which is usually clear, had a few utes and vans on it (construction work). I pulled over as instructed (behind a ute with a trailer, with said van opposite me) not putting two and two together that a U -Turn was coming up. Pulled out moved past theute to a clear bit, U-turned, all ok.

I lucked out on the weather so all in all it was a nice little putter around side streets and a bit of open road stuff (out Gorndonton way). Even road works!

One last note was the instructor did not do the hazard ID and said that they were no longer doing that (on either test). And then he told me you can take that off now (pointing to the L plate), which I gleefully did!

newzealandfish
5th March 2013, 22:28
I sat my 6r at the end of last year, I hired a wee 250 from Timaru and passed test even tho i got lost.
after the test the fella said sweet mate your alright you passed. Cheers Geoff.

anthraxnz
18th April 2013, 09:22
I just passed my 6R on Tuesday, it was bucketing down with rain for the entire time... I got soaked.

The test only took 30 minutes (i thought it was supposed to take 1 hour now), maybe the testing officer felt sorry for me or maybe it is because i have had a full car licence for 10 years?

Anyway, i think i may have found a potential loop hole in knocking 6 months off my restricted time. back in 2003 i passed my defensive driving course and still have the certificate. According to the new law, if you hold a cert prior to the 1st of Oct 2012 and have held a 6L prior to that date you can apply for an exemption once you have done your 12 months on 6R.

Anyone else tried this? Does it work?

aimee
20th May 2013, 15:35
Hi all

So, I've heard that Kilbirnie has a far higher fail rate than Lower Hutt for the Class 1 restricted license, and I was wondering whether anyone knew if the same held true for Class 6.

Also, does anyone have a rough route lying around for the Class 6 license?

As someone who has previously met licensing officers who, at least back in the home country, liked to fail people wherever humanly possible to drive up revenues, I'd rather not test with people who think the idea is to keep me continually paying for new tests.

Grashopper
21st May 2013, 18:34
I just passed my 6R on Tuesday, it was bucketing down with rain for the entire time... I got soaked.

The test only took 30 minutes (i thought it was supposed to take 1 hour now), maybe the testing officer felt sorry for me or maybe it is because i have had a full car licence for 10 years?

Anyway, i think i may have found a potential loop hole in knocking 6 months off my restricted time. back in 2003 i passed my defensive driving course and still have the certificate. According to the new law, if you hold a cert prior to the 1st of Oct 2012 and have held a 6L prior to that date you can apply for an exemption once you have done your 12 months on 6R.

Sorry for my late reply, just saw this. Did you ask them about this yet?

And do they really mean driving or riding? Can't imagine a defensive car driving course making much of a difference. But if it does, I do have a stunt driving certificate, does that count too? :eek:

Gremlin
21st May 2013, 19:04

The defensive driving certificate is a use once deal. ie, if you did it to reduce the time on your car restricted licence, then it's already been used against a class and can't be re-used. If not, then technically, the certificate has no expiry date, but good luck trying to make them agree to it.

Kyashii
22nd May 2013, 12:23
I sat my restricted in Kilbirnie Wellington yesterday (and passed, woo!) and thought I'd chuck in some of the stuff I had to do in case anyone else is frantically googling before their test like I was...

So the instructor was a really nice British guy, I don't remember his name, and he communicated by headset. I was worried about that, but didn't have any trouble hearing him, even at the higher speeds. He sounded kinda like a Navman, lol, saying the directions then repeating them to make sure I'd got it.

He did get me to do a u-turn, on a pretty narrow street (Palm ave) but it was really quiet. He also had me watch out for hazards, he'd say "start remembering hazards now" then pull me over and get me to repeat them to him.

Once we'd done a bunch of pootling around the 'burbs, we headed onto the 70km roads toward the airport. He had me change lanes a couple times on these roads.

Overall not difficult at all, took 45 minutes all up including doing the bike check at the beginning. His only feedback was "you could've gone a bit faster" (I'm pretty sure my speedo's way off on my Suzuki GN125). I did the 2-foot-stopping on all the stop lines, and way exaggerated head movements to make it obvious I was checking my mirror.

Despite it being a test, it was actually pretty fun for the most part! :) Good luck anyone else sitting it soon, it's a great feeling to rip off the L-plate afterwards!
Kathy

anthraxnz
30th May 2013, 22:22
Sorry for my late reply, just saw this. Did you ask them about this yet?

And do they really mean driving or riding? Can't imagine a defensive car driving course making much of a difference. But if it does, I do have a stunt driving certificate, does that count too? :eek:

Nah i haven't tried ringing them about it. According to Gremlin above it's only valid once. I may give it a shot closer to the time but I don't like my chances.

Congrats Kyashii, it seems your test was a bit more involved than mine. I just rode around some intersections, stop signs and give ways then hit the motorway and then went back. Maybe it's just down to how the instructors feeling

ggreen
18th February 2014, 15:27
Did my restrictwed test today. Passed with no issues.

Turned up on my LS650. No questions asked whatsoever about it, just checked rego, warrent, indicators and horn. Was then a quick 20 minute ride around town (a couple of stop signs, a few give ways, a round-a-bout), and a very quick ride in a 100k area. No hazard ID, u-turns etc.

No stress, no issues. Should be easy for anyone who can stay upright on a bike, and knows their road rules. If you have been driving a car for a few years you should be sweet. If anything, my only concern is that it is to easy (bring on the CBTA).

The only thing that I did wrong was that my L plate fell off half way round! Not a suprise given it was the first time I had ever bothered putting it on, but the tester just laughed it off.

fersupe
21st February 2014, 15:32
Just sat for my Restricted in Manukau, Auckland...

Experiences/ thoughts:
1) Keep to the speed limit.
2) took about a total of 30 mins
3) highest speed limit = 60kmph
4) no motorway
5) no "U" Turn's on a deserted road, but I had to do 2 360's at roundabouts
6) no parking
7) was using a headset

the feedback i got was that i should "own the road on left and right turns...if i go to close to the either end of the road, i risk a car pulling up beside me and making the turn difficult.

Either I was so dazzling with my handling skills...or I had a must have had a great smile!!...coz i found it easy to be honest

ps: I passed by the way..:)

R650R
6th August 2014, 17:54
After December the ol driver/rider testers should be kept busy... http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/10354682/5-year-limit-imposed-on-learner-licences
Going by those numbers that's about 800 extra people a day needing to sit their test over next year... although a large portion prob wont bother.
A heads up to get in early anyway for all the newbies out there.

jonnyk5614
2nd June 2015, 19:57
My take on the CBTA Restricted test.

I did it with Phil McDaid at riderskills.co.nz.

Turned up, did some paperwork then checked my bike over. WOF, Reg, Electrics, chain tension and tyre condition. I had to explain the chain tension and tyre checks. He then checked I had a jacket on, gloves, approved helmet, trousers and ankle covering footwear. Note - trainers do not cover ankles. Work-boots do though. I was wearing a hi-vis else he would have provided one.

He fitted a two way radio to my helmet and told me what he expected on the test. Whilst the radio is 2 way, he said he wouldn't enter into conversation. I could just ask him to repeat things and whatnot.

The test itself was over an hour. Weather was shocking. Thunderstorms/rain/sun-in-eyes/everything.... We started with a "how fast are you going" to calibrate speedometers. Then pootled around town for a bit. Lots of stop signs (one foot down), unmarked junctions (top of T goes before...), lane merges (remember to indicate) and so on. Also several U turns, although Phil does these in dead end side roads in the turning circle at the end. Still tight turns though.

He was also watching for road-craft and expected me to be in the right hand wheel tread when around town.

Out of town, we used a lot of 80kph and a brief 100kph road.

He asked me to turn around in a way I deemed appropriate at one point, on an 80kph road. 50m or so after this instruction, I pulled into a layby, pushed myself back and 90' to the curb then turned right onto the road. This was what he wanted.
This time, road-craft wise, he wanted positioning that made for best visibility on my part and best position for others to see me. Left handers sticking to the centreline. Right handers sticking on the left. Straights were depending on upcoming junctions (i.e. best place for people to see you).

His route includes a temporary 50kph on a 100kph road that has absolutely no basis to be there (I'm convinced they forgot to remove the sign) and is observed by no-body (except you of course!).

You also go a couple of junctions down the SH16 motorway.

He will ask you to pull over several times where safe to write notes - this is your judgement and doesn't mean immediately. Safe has to be somewhere where you could legally park and it is appropriate for you to stop.

He expects good progress at the speed limit if safe/appropriate.
Don't stop too close behind people in queues - leave a small car length.
Don't forget to cancel indicators!
Actually move your head when looking in mirrors and don't forget blind spot checks.
Pattern faults (i.e. making the same minor error a few times in a row) can easily accrue for positioning (i.e. wrong position on a corner - we probably went round 100 corners and only 6 need be wrong).

My bike decided to drop into neutral on a greasy roundabout then find its gear again, causing a brief sideways slide. I assumed this was bad but he said something like "Bike gearboxes are never perfect. You immediately regained control and it didn't adversely affect your riding. No issue"

I had done a training ride with him a few months prior which was very useful.

I passed first time. 3 cornering position errors and one "stop too close" error.

It was one of the hardest rides I have ever done though! I take the view that there is no margin for error on a bike so you want it to be hard.

N.B. I have recently taken the 6F CBTA with him and passed with one minor (stopping too close again - I knew straight away lol!).

Similar test, shorter, no motorway, less urban, more 100kph, far less tolerance for minor errors.

Phil had just bought a GoPro and had it on the front of the bike. He was happy to give me the video afterwards (I had a USB with me). I believe he is using it on all tests now.

You can take the CBTA full test whenever you want, but cannot apply for full license until you have held 6R for a year.

JayDNZ
3rd January 2016, 15:46
Just booked a Ride Forever Bronze Course with Dan Ornsby (Christchurch) for Wed, and restricted test in Rangiora for Thu morning, so hopefully by the end of the week I'll have my restricted!

Waihou Thumper
3rd January 2016, 18:29
The thing is..before the LAMS shit came about, I used to ride around on my GN250 and drool at the larger CC ADV bikes, even the KLR! FFS.....
I bided my time, rode and rode and passed the tests...
Couldn't wait to get something bigger between my legs! (I am a bloke remember!)
Anyhow...I covered loads and loads of Km's was swamped by logging trucks, blown over by wind gusts and looked at like a tosser...on a little cc moped wanna be....

It all paid off!
On ya! Nice work.....
We all trash the system but in the end .....Yes, still trash...BUT, you have a good window of opportunity of bikes! BUT can tou ride them well?
Good luck! :msn-wink:

WristTwister
3rd January 2016, 19:06
Just booked a Ride Forever Bronze Course with Dan Ornsby (Christchurch) for Wed, and restricted test in Rangiora for Thu morning, so hopefully by the end of the week I'll have my restricted!

Good luck! I've heard good things about the Ride Forever courses, it's probably a good idea to do their full range of courses, even when you have a full licence. Even the police (:Police: woop woop) retrain annually.

JayDNZ
3rd January 2016, 19:41
[I]The thing is.. before the LAMS shit came about, I used to ride around on my GN250

A KLR or DR650 is what I had planned to "work up" too... couldn't believe it when I learned I could get either on LAMS and a learner ticket. I'm quite a fan of the whole LAMS thing.

BUT can you ride them well?

Not yet but working on it :niceone:

it's probably a good idea to do their full range of courses

Definitely!.. $20 for the bronze and $50 each for the gold and silver, silly not to really.

rambaldi
3rd January 2016, 20:07
A KLR or DR650 is what I had planned to "work up" too... couldn't believe it when I learned I could get either on LAMS and a learner ticket. I'm quite a fan of the whole LAMS thing.

Not yet but working on it :niceone:

Definitely!.. $20 for the bronze and $50 each for the gold and silver, silly not to really.

I was a bit disappointed with mine to be honest. Yeah, $20 for a day of training. That is pretty good value. But for the time invested I didn't get out of it as much as I expected. I am pretty new to the riding thing and have a lot that I could work on, and that was the mindset I went into it with. I did get some tips and found out about a couple roads that make for a nice ride but all up I could have gleaned it all in a couple hours rather than all day. Maybe the Silver and Gold courses provide more useful info or maybe if my handling skills were higher I could have learned more but I was, as already said, disappointed in the results given the time commitment.

I have done some advanced Scuba diving training, through an agency that is known for having excellent teaching (and churning out some egotistical knobs if you know the diving community). I learnt a lot in that course and experienced very good training. What I found with the Rideforever training was that it was like the rest of the Scuba diving industry. There are places that have worked out how to make a buck by churning through students and meeting the minimums. Yes you get something out of it but there is a world of difference in what you learn between the two.

Next time I want training, when I actually have time to sit the next step in my license, I am probably going to stump up the cash and go through one of the other training providers and pay at their rates rather than get ACC to cover it. That way I know what the instructors and the market value their time as, and can use that to select someone that is decent and will help me improve my riding the most.

JayDNZ
3rd January 2016, 21:45
I was a bit disappointed with mine to be honest....

I am kinda expecting that the Bronze will be pretty basic, it is designed for L plate riders, I think your right in that the silver and gold will cover more advanced stuff.
Investment wise, I'm off work this week anyway, so not taking a day leave for the course and I figure that if I only learn 1 or 2 things it will be worth it given I have my restricted test the next day and a resit would be around $90.

I'm sure tuition standards will vary from company to company, Dan Ornsby seems to have a pretty good reputation in Christchurch, he does a lot more than just the Ride Forever stuff, so fingers crossed it'll be a good day!

JayDNZ
6th January 2016, 21:44
Did the Ride Forever Bronze today, it was a good day... Riding around town was less fun (but obviously necessary)... when we got out on the open to Taitapu it was way better!!! Plus an instructor giving tips and commentary along the way, also met a few like minded local newbies, cant think of a better way to spend $20!!

Apparently Silver and Gold involve much more open road riding.

The instructor (Pete at Dan Ornsby Training) spent 30 odd years as a motorcycle cop, retired 4 months ago as a sergeant, so REALLY knew his shit... Top bloke!!!

Would recommend without hesitation... Restricted test in the morning in Rangiora AA, fingers crossed!

JayDNZ
7th January 2016, 12:40
Passed my restricted this morning at Rangiora AA, the tester (lady called "Ra") didn't mention any minors so I assume none where spotted!

Ra followed me around in a car for 20-25 minutes, we did a few u-turns and then headed back to base... fastest road was 80KM.

One thing I would say, if you don't have a intercom unit (like me) and don't know the local streets particularly well (like me) then you will probably have to stop every 3-5 turns to be told where to go next (like me), also because she was in a car we separated a few times on roundabouts/lights/junctions and I had to pull over and wait for her. It didn't bother me, but if you are less confident this could be a bit distracting and a bit of a hassle.... Going CBTA assessment way will likely provide an assessor on 2 wheels plus an intercom to know where you're going... Which will make things much smoother.

Anyway, L plate is in the bin and we're good to go!! Plan to do the Silver Ride Forever course and the 6F CBTA assessment in the next 6 months or so (but will have to wait 12 before I can turn the certificate into a 6F licence).

bennz
25th February 2016, 08:51
Hi all,
Been riding on learners for few months now and booked my restricted test for early March in Wellington.

I used to ride bikes in the States many years ago but licence lapsed and now I started with learners . I believe I'm competent enough rider but lots to learn.

Just wanted to know if you have any tips for restricted bike licence? What had most failure rates or they are ver particular about ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDemonLord
25th February 2016, 09:46
Don't fall off.
Don't ride like a Dick.
Head Checks/situational awareness.
Correct use of Indicators.
Maintaining correct speed for a given piece of road.
Stop at Stop signs (so foot down and a 3 second count).
Give way at Give way signs.
Don't cut solid white lines.
Generally adhere to the road rules.

Oh and remember to pull a mean as Wheelie and Stoppie.

They love that shit.

Tazz
25th February 2016, 09:48
Probably wouldn't show up drunk.

Make sure you're head checks are almost exaggerated so they can tell you're actually doing them.

bennz
25th February 2016, 10:03
Thanks for the tips :) i will practice my wheelies then , do I need to do rubber burn too ?

scumdog
25th February 2016, 10:09
Don't fall off.
Don't ride like a Dick.
Head Checks/situational awareness.
Correct use of Indicators.
Maintaining correct speed for a given piece of road.
Stop at Stop signs (so foot down and a 3 second count).
Give way at Give way signs.
Don't cut solid white lines.
Generally adhere to the road rules.

And keep doing them for the rest of your riding career...

swbarnett
25th February 2016, 10:25
And keep doing them for the rest of your riding career...
All except this one "Don't cut solid white lines". Kind of hard to get in and out of Bus Lanes without crossing one.

I've been told that there is nothing in legal terms that says you're not supposed to cross them. Can anyone provide evidence to the contrary?

Moi
25th February 2016, 10:44
All except this one "Don't cut solid white lines". Kind of hard to get in and out of Bus Lanes without crossing one.

I've been told that there is nothing in legal terms that says you're not supposed to cross them. Can anyone provide evidence to the contrary?

Are they meaning the solid white line that is a centre line on the road?

If that, then good advice...

scumdog
25th February 2016, 11:09

Yup, that was my take on it too.:yes:

TheDemonLord
25th February 2016, 12:58

I got pinged for it when joining a Motorway on my Restricted.

rambaldi
25th February 2016, 13:34

I am guessing the solid white lines that indicate no changing lanes. Examples of them around Auckland include just after the bridge going south around the bend immediately after the bridge. Another one is through the tunnel before the bridge heading north. For this there are signs up at the tunnel entry saying no changing lanes as well.

People ignore them all.

Ulsterkiwi
25th February 2016, 13:52
I am guessing the solid white lines that indicate no changing lanes. Examples of them around Auckland include just after the bridge going south around the bend immediately after the bridge. Another one is through the tunnel before the bridge heading north. For this there are signs up at the tunnel entry saying no changing lanes as well.

Car drivers in particular who have no fucking clue about the road rules ignore them all.

there, fixed it for you.

Tazz
25th February 2016, 14:22
Jesus, is this a room full of tourist drivers or something? :laugh:

Scubbo
25th February 2016, 14:32
pedestrian crossings + rail/train crossings makesure you check... not sure if any on the test route in welly? --- for pedestrian stops you have to be behind the white line(so if it's creeping traffic, you need to stop until there is full gap on the other side)

5ive
25th February 2016, 15:10

It's not a road rule, it's a specific guidline for CBTA assessment regarding rider skills and behaviour.

It's most usually assessed when exiting side roads and joining main roads where the white dotted lines turn solid before and after the joining road. The white solid lines at intersections and when exiting side roads are quite slippery when wet, so crossing them whilst turning can be quite risky, not to mention that if you're crossing them from a side road, you are obviously spending too much time in the wrong lane, and have poor turning/handling skills.

TheDemonLord
25th February 2016, 15:16
It's not a road rule, it's a specific guidline for CBTA assessment regarding rider skills and behaviour.

It's most usually assessed when exiting side roads and joining main roads where the white dotted lines turn solid before and after the joining road. The white solid lines at intersections and when exiting side roads are quite slippery when wet, so crossing them whilst turning can be quite risky, not to mention that if you're crossing them from a side road, you are obviously spending too much time in the wrong lane, and have poor turning/handling skills.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to 5ive again

I knew there was something about it in the Test.

Erelyes
25th February 2016, 15:24
Can't fuckin believe noone has said this yet, but, my advice : Do CBTA. This replaces your practical test component and isn't necessarily easier or harder than the practical test, but involves a lot more feedback and discussion.

You sound like you have the right attitude, and I'm sure the CBTA assessor will see that and work with you to get you a pass.

Moi
25th February 2016, 16:02

People ignore them all.

Agree that crossing those white lines is technically wrong and I would generally not cross them, but I think crossing the one in the centre of the road is of greater concern...

bennz
25th February 2016, 16:30
Can't fuckin believe noone has said this yet, but, my advice : Do CBTA. This replaces your practical test component and isn't necessarily easier or harder than the practical test, but involves a lot more feedback and discussion.

You sound like you have the right attitude, and I'm sure the CBTA assessor will see that and work with you to get you a pass.

I have it on my to do list , just not quite available for 6-8 hours in one day for it. Thought to make most of time get the restricted then when time permits do the three courses

ellipsis
25th February 2016, 16:41
...why not just ride like you are supposed to ride, following the rules and controlling your bike just like you should be able to do...if that is a problem then bus passes would be the next best option...there are no hands to hold when you are out there riding on the planet, and certainly no tricks or tips to get you home safely...

Puffin' Billy
25th February 2016, 16:43
Do the Ride Forever bronze course. Its basically just a set up to get you to pass your restricted. Cost ya only 20 bucks too.
I found with doing the CBTA the assessor was doing everything he could to get you to pass, instead of pouncing on the slightest fuck up and failing you for it.

You'll be sweet bud!

Motu
25th February 2016, 16:55
Beware of ''tricks.'' My son failed his restricted car license last week, for speeding...yeah, a no brainer. But how it happened has got me a bit steamed up. Coming down a 70, they turned right into side road, and now he's doing 50, comes back on the main road and heading back the way they came, doing 70....but, it's a 50. The speed change sign was between the 2 side roads. It was a small town out of his area, but a much shorter waiting list - if he was a local he might of known about the speed zone change, but without area knowledge he got caught out. He can't ask the tester, doing 50 in a 70 would also be a fail. They like to fail young males, and maybe the Levin didn't help, but it's far from a Boi Racer car.

swbarnett
25th February 2016, 19:40
Thanks. Nothing illegal about crossing them then.

not to mention that if you're crossing them from a side road, you are obviously spending too much time in the wrong lane,
Mostly I would agree. There is one circumstance when turning right where it is much safer to stay in the wrong lane until you're up to speed. When turning right and the cross road to your left drops too steeply for good visibility and the view to the right is clear for a good distance I will turn into the near lane (the wrong one) until I'm up to speed. That way if an unseen vehicle comes over the brow at a great rate of knots they'll just pass you on the left instead of collecting you from behind. Not very common intersections but they do exist.

5ive
25th February 2016, 21:32
Mostly I would agree. There is one circumstance when turning right where it is much safer to stay in the wrong lane until you're up to speed. When turning right and the cross road to your left drops too steeply for good visibility and the view to the right is clear for a good distance I will turn into the near lane (the wrong one) until I'm up to speed. That way if an unseen vehicle comes over the brow at a great rate of knots they'll just pass you on the left instead of collecting you from behind. Not very common intersections but they do exist.

Haha, that's why I know about it, I was marked down on my CBTA1 because I did exactly that here: https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-36.7402648,174.6213704,3a,75y,287.81h,69.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1lw7R7Osnz5GLZhFir-6dQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Visibility was poor at the time due to heavy rain as well, but nevermind, still passed.

rastuscat
25th February 2016, 21:42
If you are turning onto a main road from a side road be fastidious about not cutting lines.

If you are turning from a main road into a side road be equally fastidious.

Arguably, cutting corners is a traffic offence. Just don't make it easy to fail you.

I'm delivering a bronze course to 4 riders tomorrow. There's an even chance that I might know what I'm talking about.

bennz
25th February 2016, 22:09
Thanks for the tip,
I would like to attend those ride forever courses just committing to the length of each session is hard for me now . Hopefully I get some time and do them all

Swivel
25th February 2016, 22:53
I just passed my full licence today. If you feel nervous leading up to the test don't worry by the time you release the clutch it all goes away. All the advice and tips are pretty much covered by previous replies. My only other advice is move your head when checking your mirrors because the assessor wont see your eyes.
Look left and right at any rail crossing if you go through any.
Good luck buddy.

TheDemonLord
26th February 2016, 09:30
Something else to add as some advice:

If you see a Hazard and decide it is prudent to take proactive action (Slowing down, changing road position, SIAM Weave, etc) - tell your assessor the Hazard you have identified and the action you are taking.

Swivel
19th March 2016, 03:06
When I did my restricted I was told by the instructor that 2 feet down doesnt need to be on the ground at once. He explained that some shorter riders may find it impossible to do so. He said its definitely not a fail if you don't

nzrobj
23rd April 2017, 12:20
I always wondered how they actually assessed you for your restricted - completely forgot that intercoms existed!! I was thinking that maybe they sat on the back with you!!! :facepalm:

Jeeper
25th April 2017, 13:30
I always wondered how they actually assessed you for your restricted - completely forgot that intercoms existed!! I was thinking that maybe they sat on the back with you!!! :facepalm:
That would have been funny, as one can't carry a passenger on Learner or Restricted license. Catch 22.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

nzrobj
25th April 2017, 13:55
That would have been funny, as one can't carry a passenger on Learner or Restricted license. Catch 22.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Yep could imagine going for your restricted and as soon as you pulled onto the road the tester failed you for carrying them as a passenger!