PDA

View Full Version : Ride in the rain?

Genesismatrix
11th June 2006, 17:16
Who rides in the rain?

Madness
11th June 2006, 17:19
Rain-X on my visor & mirrors. Hell yeah, but take it easy. I find the rain no problem, add wind and it's a different matter.

Gremlin
11th June 2006, 17:23
If I didn't take the bike... I wouldn't go anywhere... no car and no license to drive one.

I'm happy on the bike, just have to watch grip on the wheels, otherwise, often a chance to have a little fun :blip:

Drum
11th June 2006, 17:25
Had to be a southlander asking that question!

onearmedbandit
11th June 2006, 17:28
Hell yeah, I'll ride in the snow.

Riding in the rain does wonders for your throttle and brake control skills.

pistol pete
11th June 2006, 17:29
Febuary floods of 04 anyone? Napier/Taupo road was so much fun

Edbear
11th June 2006, 17:32
Rain doesn't bother me much, but then I ride like a Nana in the wet!:scooter:

RT527
11th June 2006, 17:34
Its a matter of having to for me, however if i need to cause its an early start or I`m late I take the car.

Maha
11th June 2006, 17:40
Im with MAX on this one, dont mind the rain at all,but throw in the wind and the equation changes. I wouldn't gear up and go out if its pissing down, but if it happens when im out there i just deal with, adjust to it and enjoy the very reason why im out there, thats where pub's can come in handy...:yes:

Lazy7
11th June 2006, 17:52
i hate riding my bike in the rain. scares teh crap out of me.

but i hate being stuck in my car in traffic more.

Jantar
11th June 2006, 17:55
If its raining, and only a short trip, then I'll take the cage rather than gear up. But for longer trips I'll take the bike.

The bike does stay in the shed for black ice, and temperatures below -6C.

Jabez
11th June 2006, 18:06
I ride in the rain & have actually ridden in snow!!
Just ride to the conditions....:)

Ixion
11th June 2006, 18:11
Rain, wind, snow, gravel, whatever.

I ride where the road takes me, and in whatever the ride turns up.

Can't understand people who say they won't ride in this, won't ride in that.

In fact seems wierd to me that anyone would pose the question.

kiwifruit
11th June 2006, 18:12
I dont mind the grip issues that come with riding in the rain, just gotta be smooth and progressive.
Getting cold and wet isn't enjoyable.
If you've got good gear and good rubber riding in the rain can be ok.
Did a trackday in the rain not long ago, learnt heaps about braking, cornering and throttle control.

paturoa
11th June 2006, 18:56
live in auckland ..... ride in the rain

blacksheep
11th June 2006, 19:09
lived in england, ride in whatever

Limb
11th June 2006, 19:17
The rain dosn't bother me, nice clean roads. When it's dry and then a light shower I get a bit wary.

sunhuntin
11th June 2006, 19:21
same as gremlin...ride in the rain, or stay home here...no car or license.
only time id let that change is if i was planning on riding out of town. done it once and froze...my boots were half filled with water.
in saying that though...even then it wouldnt stop me. if ive planned to go to wellington and it rains, tough. im going anyway, provided theres a hot shower!

if im out and it starts, theres not much i can do really. not gonna waste time waiting on the side of the road, so will ride in whatever i come across.

Clivoris
11th June 2006, 20:08
Prior to starting a new job recently I was commuting into Welly 5/7 on the murdercycle. Only missed two days in three years due to weather. Would rather be out in the dry but modern riding gear means keeping dry is a real possibility. Have to say that some of the most valuable riding experience I have ever had was during a rainstorm at a Manfield track-day couple of years ago. I would definitely do it again.

inlinefour
11th June 2006, 20:34
DRZ was made for the rain Im sure of it. Yeah Ive ridden in the snow a few times now...

APPLE
11th June 2006, 21:08
yeh mate,i dont mind the slippery roads aye?TL likes it better,especially wen the back end slips out:blip: wot a rush???i like it...........

Ghost_Bullet
12th June 2006, 08:02
How many people are on there bikes today in the now in Christchurch!!!!!!!! and surrounding areas??????:scooter: :blah: :shutup:

Joni
12th June 2006, 08:08
How many people are on there bikes today in the now in Christchurch!!!!!!!! and surrounding areas??????:scooter: :blah: :shutup:
Wooooaaaa it's cold.... and coming down real thick here in Rangiora. For the 32 thats said they would ride in the snow - you better head down South for that!!

If anyone is on a bike today.... stay safe, and stay warm!!

Squeak the Rat
12th June 2006, 08:19
I find riding in the rain very relaxing on long straight roads. As long as your gear is waterproof and warm it's all good.

Tight twisties on the other hand are not as much fun...

inlinefour
12th June 2006, 10:29
Wooooaaaa it's cold.... and coming down real thick here in Rangiora. For the 32 thats said they would ride in the snow - you better head down South for that!!

If anyone is on a bike today.... stay safe, and stay warm!!

Its pouring down with rain here and its my day off. I'm about to put on my gear incl the wet weather gear and go riding through a few back roads. I think Id prefer some snow than the rain, be a good test for some of my riding gear re: warmth.

Ghost_Bullet
12th June 2006, 10:37
Just went down to woolworths in rangiora, I was going to take the bike out in the now, and get the wife to take a picture, but on second thoughts that is NOT going to happen...
Have a good relaxing one people.

ZeroIndex
12th June 2006, 10:39
If I didn't want to ride in the rain, I'd lose my job.. just glad it doesn't snow in Hamilton.. 7 - 9 hours of that a day would be a bit much..

onearmedbandit
12th June 2006, 10:41
Snow like today however means plenty of slush on the roads. I will, and have done plenty of times before, ride in the snow, but today even I took the 4x4 to work.

Biohazard
12th June 2006, 13:30
Rain = wet socks and I just hate wet socks :angry:

So I try to avoid the rain, plus it makes me bike all filthy:nono: :shutup:

oldrider
12th June 2006, 13:43
There is 4" of snow outside as we speak,(more forcast for tonight) the grand kids have had their bikes out but mine is staying in the shed just now. No need to take it out.
I will ride in any conditions if I have a reason to be out there.
Sometimes even without a reason is good enough reason, just do it.
We have been towing the kids around the old school grounds on a sledge behind our little 4x4 dump truck.
Snow can be fun but the fun wears off if it hangs around too long. Cheers John.

buellbabe
12th June 2006, 14:06
The rain dosn't bother me, nice clean roads. When it's dry and then a light shower I get a bit wary.
Ditto, I'd rather ride in torrential rain than a light drizzle... We got sent home from work this morn cos of the powercut in Auck and jeez! it was pouring... bring it on! Loving my wet-weather trou ;-) just gotta do something about my boots...:doh:

Coyote
12th June 2006, 14:14
I've only ever raced in the rain

u4ea
12th June 2006, 14:21
never used to bother me ,got some good rjays wet weather gear , but since my off i am a bit more resistant to it........ok i am a whoos......:bye:

kickingzebra
12th June 2006, 14:46
Rain is fun, diesel on the road in the rain is less fun, riding in the rain with gusty heavy winds and dodgy front tyres sucks some arse...
Go the Tron!!
Rode in Snow once only, no proper gear. I have never been so cold, I couldn't get off the bike when I finally stopped! took days to warm back up properly!
I'd do it again, but only with GOOD gear, and heaps of thermals (and heated handgrips!!)

Ixion
12th June 2006, 15:24
Rain = wet socks and I just hate wet socks :angry:

So I try to avoid the rain, plus it makes me bike all filthy:nono: :shutup:

GAITERS! Gaiters will keep your socks dry. From you all know where by now.

Flyingpony
12th June 2006, 15:37
Ride in nearly all weather except ice.

Took the bike today :nya:

Filtering past traffic was fun. Was the longest I've ever ridden in third gear. Don't want to break the +10 rule when filtering past cages because I have to be able to stop as quick as they do. Don't think my speed exceeded 30km/hr for much of it - gee cages were slow today.
That was the morning commute, lunch time was different. Full speed ahead scotty, roads were mostly snow free, just flooded and slush here or there. Was interesting arriving at Uni with half-an-inch of snow on my gear.

Only saw two other bikes out today and both of them were scooters!
Where were you all?

festus
12th June 2006, 16:06
On trips it's a matter of having too, esp on planned trips like rally's, just suit up and go.......to say I enjoyed riding in the wet or riding thru snow/ice would be calling me a liar, as it sucks and is not enjoyable.......

Grantasaurus
12th June 2006, 16:59
Rain + white lines mean the back comes out easy...

You can look at it either as a problem, or an opportunity.

Not that a street magic is particularly scary in the rain.

BarBender
12th June 2006, 17:13
Id rather be wet and moving than sitting dry and not moving at all...

Rain is all good. However in saying that I am probably even more aware of the way cagers behave when the roads are wet... :gob:

sunhuntin
12th June 2006, 22:00
forgot my goggles tonight, so couldnt see shit with the rain in my eyes. didnt go over 50k, stayed in 4th gear and rode with my toes covering the brake, which i never do...rode the whole way from work to home that way. normally only ride like that coming up to lights.

wind was strong here today, but i didnt notice it on the bike.