PDA

View Full Version : Easy Riders Out of Control, Part 2

vifferman
20th May 2004, 11:53
The latest in Motorcycle News:

The organisation which represents the bike industry has started the fight back against " increasingly sensation-led comment and campaigning on motorcycle safety " .

And it challenging the mainstream media to admit its mistakes and put the record straight.

A spokesman for the Motorcycle Industry Association said: " Campaigning by the North Yorkshire local pressure group BAND, using the names of celebrities to highlight problems on certain Yorkshire rural roads, has been seized upon to generate an entirely wrong picture of national motorcycle safety. "

They say the mainstream media is being mislead by: Wild claims about 180 mph motorcycling; distorted casualty figures; and claims of danger to other road users from ‘racing bikers’ and 'blood on the roads'’.

The organisation says: " This seems to have become the latest fashionable way of presenting motorcycling as dangerous and unacceptable. "

So this shows that what was reported in the Harold here was inacccurate and biased (as some here said) and WAS done largely by the cruiser group band in a fit of pique, jealousy or whatever.

Read more here:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=50677&documentID=199409&navID=1

RiderInBlack
21st May 2004, 15:29
Read more here:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=212131&documentID=199409No such luck reading that link, Firestormer. Got this error message after clicking on it:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, mcn.site.help@emap.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error. More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

vifferman
21st May 2004, 16:12
Try it now - they've moved the link.

Otherwise, just look under the "News" section in MCN, for the topic titled:
"Bike Industry Starts the Fight Back".

Big Dog
21st May 2004, 16:27
Try it now - they've moved the link.

Otherwise, just look under the "News" section in MCN, for the topic titled:
"Bike Industry Starts the Fight Back".
Found the link no problem.
Just goes to show how little effort the "Harold" puts into fact checking, and how easy people find it to beleive anything they see in black and white on paper.

Exactly why I have only bought 3 hearalds in the 10 years since I left home. All to look for cars or homes. :Pokey:

toads
21st May 2004, 16:48
well I hope that with all the other negative shit going on out there, such as "P" use and violent crime, the media will find better things to write about in gloomy, gorey fashion other than bikes and statistics, I really think statistics in themselves are crap, you can always present an argument that sounds plausible using statistics but it isn't nessecerily so in reality, couldn't find the story but read the 1st one about mid life crisis bikers in the UK, figured this was the retaliation of the bike brigade. I think in general ( without stats to back this up) that most people get wiser as they age, hence older bikers, have to be better on the road than younger ones,

( but I would say that wouldn't I LOL)

Big Dog
21st May 2004, 17:16
Its a bit like that gay test, being 2?% gay does not make you gay.

Just becuase I own a bike (making me at least 35% squid by the time you acount for the fact I love to pour the power on coming out of corners) doesn't make me a reckless old hoon (or a mobster), who regularly loses any ability to control myself or my bike. Despite hoonish tendancies (squidishness?) I am able to keep my throttle hand undercontrol and think from above the waistline. Grey hair or not.

SPman
21st May 2004, 18:01
..........Grey hair or not. Grey hair? You? I'll show you grey hairs, you young whippersnapper!
Oops. no I cant, I dye my hair.:o

Must be that 28% gay bit showing!

Big Dog
21st May 2004, 18:09
Oops. no I cant, I dye my hair.:o

Must be that 28% gay bit showing!
Or that may be the 28% grey bit showing the rest having been washed away with the rest of your sins years ago:killingme
:devil2:

SPman
21st May 2004, 18:13
Or that may be the 28% grey bit showing the rest having been washed away with the rest of your sins years ago:killingme
:devil2:

:innocent::whistle::eek5::yes::D:D