PDA

View Full Version : ear protection

Kiwi
13th April 2003, 22:17
Hearing loss is preventable. If you ride for any length of time without ear protection, you will suffer irreversible hearing damage

<H2 align=left>Remember</H2>
<H4>If you damage your motorcycle, you can either have it mended or you can buy a new one. </H4>
<H4>If you damage your hearing, you can’t have it mended and you can’t buy a new pair of ears!</H4>see ya

Kiwi

wkid_one
13th April 2003, 22:22
Soft Orange Plugs from CycleSpot made by 3M are the best

MikeL
13th April 2003, 22:31
I always wear ear plugs - the soft orange ones - even when commuting to work. But I have a problem: no matter how hard I push them in, before long they seem to work their way out - not all the way, but enough to reduce their effectiveness. Do I have abnormal ear canals?? Too much wax in the ears? Or is it the fault of the plugs - perhaps I need to have them custom made? Someone please advise, before I go completely deaf.

SPman
13th April 2003, 22:48
I prefer the soft yellow ones with the orange rings

twistymover
14th April 2003, 04:24
I too wear earplugs and have done so for years. I am 50 years young and my hearing is still very good.I put that down to good hearing protection, whether nightclubs,concerts, motorbike riding or work related(I used to drive trucks). I've tried many different types, shapes and sizes over the years. It's up to you to experiment in order to find the one which suits your ear- canal size. We are all different in that regard. Too small, and the earplug's effectiveness will be reduced or they might come out. Too large, and they may become painful during a long ride. Earplugs bought from a chemist, although convenient, are too expensive. In my experience,New Zealand Safety along the Grt. Sth. Rd. just Sth. of Greenlane near the Ellerslie turnoff is the best. Their earplugs are cheaper and they have an excellent range of shapes and sizes.But probably most safetyware places would have a good selection.
Cheers.
" At the feast of ego, everyone leaves hungry."

bluninja
14th April 2003, 10:03
Eh? what's that you say? can you speak up?:D

I wear earplugs all the time on the road. 10 minutes at 130 kmh is enough to start damaging your hearing.

Yesterday I left them out for racing....probably cos I only got above 130 k for about 1 second....also the SV is so quiet you can hear all the other bikes behind you, just before they scream past.

TTFN

Coldkiwi
14th April 2003, 12:29
Ahhh.. another topic in my engineering field of alleged expertise (acoustics!)

Yeah, I always wear them.. the 250 makes enough din to wake the dead and destory my hearing and although the 600 is plenty quiter, the wind noise around my helmet is pretty unpleasent above 90kmhr. The noise at 250kmhr at Puke (after I lost my plugs) was pretty much unbearable!! I've never done it but it sounds a lot like i would imagine standing under a 747's engine prior to releaseing the brakes!

Anyway, its so much more enjoyable with them in :)

AS for difficulties putting them in, I can offer some good advice.

Prior to putting them in, roll them reasonably tightly in your (clean) fingers. Then quickly (before they expand) reach over your head with your left hand and pull the top of your right ear up (not so it hurts but so it straightens the ear canal). You will then find that your rolled up plug slides in quite easily (be sure not to push it so far it touches your inner ear.. you'll know because it feels uncomfortable). Release the top of your ear while still holding the plug in place with yourright hand until it has expanded fully (you should be able to hear sweet sod all!).

Repeat for the left ear.

Works a treat and prevents the plugs from getting knocked out when sliding your helmet over.&nbsp;:done:

Coldkiwi
14th April 2003, 12:33
BTW, I use ones from work (har har!) that are very good. They're soft orange bell shaped ones by Howard Leight hearing protection and have a Noise Reduction Ratio (NRR) of 33. If you're buying different brands, make sure you get one that has been properly tested and has a good rating (the higher the better).

bluninja
14th April 2003, 12:36
Good advice....that's the way I put them. I do know a few people that having squeezed and rolled them they moisten them so they slide in easier......not sure I'd want to moisten them after they've been in once or twice :eek:

TTFN

750Y
14th April 2003, 12:52
a big turn out from the v-twin boys.:D

Kiwi
14th April 2003, 21:31
I personal wear custom-made earplugs. The are quick to fit, easy to clean and quite comfy. Custom-made ear protection reduces the noise up to 36 dB.

:)

See ya

Kiwi

Kwaka-Kid
14th April 2003, 22:17
Oh My God! is this thread some sorta joke? Are you trying to fool me? have i been kept in the dark about this? Do i not pay attention? so many questions, yet i cant hear the answers...

IM THE ONLY ONE THAT CLICKED NEVER! jesus crhist i thought it was a joke? IVE NEVER even HEARD of ear plugs on motorcycles? My Old man says Harden up to yall :P Mind you hes old as hell (forty somthing) and had a pet dinosaur as a kid :P.&nbsp; No im serious now, erm, my 250 is friggin loud, the slow plodding drone on a single cylander constantly with the throttle wide open to get anywhere... and yeah after say 5mins i get soreish ears, but i actually only notice it when i take off my helmet and stuff, same as my 750 without my washer-restricter, but my 400 with std pipe is so friggin quiet.&nbsp; Anyways back to the point, Earplugs? WTF? arnt helmets ment to like help that? ive honestly never even noticed! im sure on our ride to kawa kawa bay etc i noticed non of u guys with earplugs?

Jesus christ, and i got Heaps of those orange 3M earplugs @ work for when i use the compressed air to blowout intrsuments (that go in ur body when u crash) but half the time i cbf because it requires effort and they dont seem to fit my ears properly? or maybe im doing it wrong? So much for having an Education Officer. haha. anyways wow, this is going to be talk-topic of the week for me and my old man and his mates. thats just crazy. well ill wait for your replys before i go on more and more, im just so amazed.

bluninja
14th April 2003, 22:32
KK, forget your engine/exhaust noise...it's the wind rushing past your helmet at high speed that does the damage:D And unfaired bikes give you more trubulence and wind noise than faired bikes (or those with screens). So the real reason Harley riders ignore you when you yell Hi is that they can't hear you, as they don't wear earplugs...lmao.

BTW just like with tyres the plugs lose their effectiveness after a few years when they go all hard :p

TTFN

Motu
14th April 2003, 22:34
Yeah,I got heapsa ear plugs too,some come in a little compact like a shelia would use,very smart.But I don't use them much,wrecked my hearing decades ago,putting them in means I just can't hear a bloody thing.With my bike at the moment I seam to get a buffeting in certain conditions that hurts my ears,then I have to stop and pull them out,less hassle to not put them in.I know,I know,I'm a dick head.

Kwaka-Kid
15th April 2003, 06:24
All i can say about the wind noise is go buy a new helmet...

My old Helmet (CMS GP1) hadsome noise, but on pukekohe i dont remember that being an issue? and now ive got hte newest model (GP3) with a few extra things, tighter, smaller outsides, and i cant hear a thing, Wind noise? and i mean, these are some of the cheapest helmets around.&nbsp; And i have enough trouble with my new helmet hearing the bike, i couldnt hear the chain problem wearing it basically.&nbsp; But it doesnt matter, because all that new gear i bought, i only used for the rack and weekend rides, im too scared of scratching it so wear my old crap smacked up helmet every day to work and shoes etc :) mwahaha.&nbsp; So i will always have a nice clean unsmaced helmet for the racetrack/weekend blats. :)

boris
15th April 2003, 10:26
I use blue Elvex brand from the hardware store.But i find i tend to sit at about 20kph faster, .

&nbsp;

Boris&nbsp;

Coldkiwi
15th April 2003, 12:17
KK, more expensive helmets do tend to generate less air turbulence noise as the money has (hopefully) been spent on wind tunnel testing!

Having said that, the amount of bumps and lumps on some of those Shark helmets makes me wonder if they're not just a little hopeful! Generally tho, visors that wrap right around without seperate fix attachment plates generate less turbulence than those with (ie. FFM style).

I suspect that the very good helmets however (extremely light ones) aren't particularly quiet because there's no mass to them. I'd love to do some research into helmet acoustics but that will probably require me to move to Italy and hit up Soumy or Nolan for a job!

750Y
15th April 2003, 13:41
I always wear a 'good' lid but when the foam padding starts getting softer the noise level increases. Also the more race style helmets apparently place less emphasis on noise reduction than aerodynamics. I may have to get some of those orange plugs now, although when I did try some a while back I couldn't hear what exactly was going on rev wise and overcooked a tricky corner i rode often. I stopped and took them out before continuing which was easy as I was already off the road in the gravel so didn't need to pull over. where do You buy those orange ones? are they the best? I still want to hear the engine and or exhaust but don't want to go deaf.

wkid_one
15th April 2003, 16:44
I find them the best, cause they aren't the squeeze down and expand sort.&nbsp; They are a soft rubber and sealyour ear up really well - more importantly they remove the wind noise well, but still seem to leave the engine rev...

Get them from Cyclespot on the shore, $3 each pair - well worth it

bikerboy
15th April 2003, 16:47
I have one of those Shark helmets with the bumps and grooves, there're call vents and they work very well. It's very lighgt and isn't any noisier than my old helmet, a heavy, very smooth design.

I used to hate riding on the motorway due to the wind noise. Then I tried ear plugs, those cheap orange foam things. What a difference! But they were a hasstle to fit just right and rolling them makes them disgusting.

I now have a pair of custom made ones. These are great as I can still hear people talk to me, and enjoy the exhaust note, but the wind noise has completely gone! Thanks Kai!!!

:cool:

Coldkiwi
15th April 2003, 17:36
mate, if you're gonna pay $3 for a poxy set of rubber you'd better buy a little container for them too!! $3 is WAY to much (for someone like me going through at least a set a week).. hardware stores generally stock a decent range .. ie Bunnings Warehouse.

I did realise that they're vents BB :) .. although, Again, I do wonder just how much air and subsequent cooling you're going to get out of some of the tiny holes I've seen on helmets labelled as vents? I would guess there is a big compromise between good ventilation and the aerodynamic/noise reduction propertes of a helmet

I say the solution to not hearing your engine is to get a louder exhaust :):D:cool::bigthumb:

wkid_one
15th April 2003, 17:39
I can't stress enough that these plugs ROCK and are worth $3

Kwaka-Kid
15th April 2003, 19:24
well i get those 3M ones free from work.&nbsp; And i just tried coming home today with them in, and i must say, VERY quiet, thanks for teaching me how to put them in whoever posted that, i actually read the packet and it says the same thing! lol! amazing what instructions tell you.&nbsp; And my feedback is: It fucking sucks.&nbsp; Thats it pretty much, i could hardly hear anything, how am i supposed to hear the windnoise of that truck rushing up clkose beside me so i can move over? how am i supposed to hear the screeching of a cars tyres 10 cars up screaming to a halt giving me the slight advantage to know to start braking. how am i supposed to hear all the little tickers and tackers of my engine so i know exactly when my chain is ready to pop and other such things.&nbsp; i must say it was very unpleasent, and i thought maybe with ears blocked, it would mean id use my other senses more.. no, i dont think i did really, and Ears are like the eyes in the back of your head... I can tell when a bike is coming up behind so i can move over, now i gotta keep looking heaps in mirrors...&nbsp; Gotta say i completely hated it, and whoever said they didnt like going on the motorway on their bike because of noise, Either a) buy a new helmet, or b) Harden up.&nbsp; My helmet cost under $200, its the cheapest peice of plastic you ever saw, and ive worn my old mans Wayne Gardner Shoei helmet (from when he died) and yes its miles old, but it seems about the same for noise, and ive also worn newer/diff helmets and i can tell the blimmin diff.. Tell me im deaf, but i can hear everybody talking always prefectly, all those school tests were mint az, and ive never even noticed the motorway thing.. @ pukekohe doing 225kmph on backstreight on the loudest rousyest 750, it didnt Hurt as such or anything like that? i didnt notice, so focussed i spose.&nbsp; Meh dunno, all i know is i wont be using those earplugs again.

750Y
15th April 2003, 19:37
I still hate them too but I'm willing to give them 1 more try for a short while & see if it's just something that takes a little while to get accustomed to. I really don't want to go deaf, I already have swimmers ear from many years of surfing in the cold waters of Wellington & the Wairarapa.

Redstar
16th April 2003, 10:32
I wear green ones kawaski you understand
then a Balaclava so I can't really hear a thing until 10,000rpm and so I have no idea how the cam chain,valve springs,tappet clearance or clutch basket is but I dont think I really want to!

Coldkiwi
17th April 2003, 01:28
My ZX-6 is pretty damn quiet but i can still hear it over the wind and otehr noise.

(beware the anal acoustic engineer cometh)

Incidentally, with ear plugs in, you are probably MORE likely to be able to hear your engine. Wind noise off a helmet is reasonably high frequency compared to predominantly low frequency engine noise. As with all materials (trust me, its just the physics of sound), ear plugs absorb more high frequency noise than low freqency noise. So by wearing ear plugs you'll hear less of both engine and wind but the reduction of wind noise will be greater, theoretically making it easier to hear the&nbsp;engine.

And before anyone asks, the engine makes a hell of a lot more noise when its wound up&nbsp; above the typical wind noise frequencies so you should still be able to hear it!

While I think the real key though is to just be used to using them, and I don't like to disagree with KK again; a 'harden up' attitude is pretty stupid when it comes to irreplaceable damage to your senses.

I&nbsp;know plenty of older guys that didn't know anything about hearing protection when they were younger and wish they had the same info that we do now. Silly not to use it really.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

wkid_one
17th April 2003, 01:55
Trucks passing a motorbike???? KK - you know your bike has more than one gear?

bluninja
17th April 2003, 02:26
KK maybe you should have a guide dog sat on your tank:D&nbsp; either that or use your mirrors and eyes (you haven't sold your mirrors to pay for petrol have you?).

The noise that damages your ears is not at the level of drum perforating nosebleed thrash metal concert next to the speaker stack, it's just there working away slowly bit by bit, so you won't notice it till too late. In addition the constant noise actually irritates your body and causes you to mentally fatigue much quicker, so wearing plugs will help maintain concentration/comfort levels on&nbsp;a long ride.

ColdKiwi it's not the size of the inlet holes on the vents that makes them effective it's the rear most vent hole in the low pressure area at the back that creates a flow through from front to back. Air blows out the back and is replaced rather than being forced in from the front and pushing through. But you knew that didn't you?

Hey wouldn't it be great to fit little speakers in a helmet shell along with a nice little acoustic electronic box of tricks so that it could creat an interference signal and cancel out the wind noise only. Or tune it to hear screeching tyres, horns etc...maybe so you could listen to classical music on CD as you ride along....all without overstressing your hearing. I guess you'd nee a Honda Goldwing to carry the kit to do this though.

TTFN

750Y
17th April 2003, 02:57
I just bought 2 types to try out. 1 was the E A R non disposable yellow type in the round blue box. The other Oxford Orange foam type(2 pair). both were $6 at mt edens. I wore the E A R ones back to work & got sore ears already!!!???? but the noise level was well down. I'll wear them on the ride home & then try the orange ones tomorrow to see which I like best. Hope I can hack it so my Grandkids don't have to yell at me and make out like i'm a dumbfart.

Slim
17th April 2003, 05:40
I used to wear ear plugs (the non-throwaway rubber type) but traded them in for a Minidisk. ;)

I found that it took a while to get used to them when I started wearing them, but for those just trying them out - persevere. Bluninja's comments about concentration & mental fatigue from constant wind noise would appear to be true. Riding was much more pleasant with the reduced noise levels, although my ears were hurting from the ear plugs after 5 or so hours with them in. It's quite possible that I would have had better results from the softer, foam-type ear plugs.

Kwaka-Kid
17th April 2003, 06:38
Well i personally cant do it, so i&nbsp; wont :)&nbsp; i also know plenty of old dudes that have riding for years, some of which have perfect hearing. :/&nbsp;&nbsp; im willing to take my chances as i feel i have more chance of not hearing the wind of a car about to T-Bone me.&nbsp; I know it sounds stupid, but honestly, for me the difference is great, i reley on my ears when riding, im not sure exactly why exactly i feel this way, like, but im sure, i can just hear far more around me and know whats going on where i cant hear... OH! perfect example... the first morning i wear them, heading down my road, i looked right (but theres a tree in the way) so its hard to see very far a car coming... and i didnt see much, looked left as i was about taking off and just glanced right and outta the corner of my eyes, argh! car!&nbsp; okay so it wasnt exactly a close call, but i reley on my ears there, i can hear the cars roadnoise as it comes down the hill usually, so easily... also on the racetrack, i can hear where bikes are and where they are coming up on me. or at least i think i can? im sure. i feel, blind.. with earplugs in.

Coldkiwi
17th April 2003, 07:04
Yeah Blu, I knew that :)

but by the same token, both the inlet and outlet holes on most helmets are pretty small. My confusion is compounded by the fact that i know full well how rooted airflows get when you reduce the cross-sectional area of a duct like that (I work at a&nbsp;building services company).

As for the&nbsp;wonderful acoustic black box... they do exist... sort of! Sony do some noise cancelling headphones that work&nbsp;reasonably well at low frequencies. They really excell with constant low freq. noise like in&nbsp;jet aircraft but do not do much for high frequncies. The handy upshot of this is that you can hear your mate talking in the next seat to you without getting a headache from the engine noise.Also, there is an input for music (which I find VERY distracting when trying to concentrate).

So what you yearn for does exist.. but it won't really help much with wind noise and I would wager be about as comfortable as having toothpicks in your ears when you drag your lid over it!

bikerboy
17th April 2003, 07:21
Toothpicks in your ears...?

Just what do you acoustic Engineers get up to:eek:

Kwaka-Kid
17th April 2003, 07:41
and thats not the only place i hear thoses dodgey engineers shove those toothpicks :P

&nbsp;

anyways i agree about music, i cant hack it, i need full concentration and hearing on the road.&nbsp;&nbsp; BTW im outa pukekohe this friday :) - getting in free even, ran into a dude @ haldanes who memberd me from tracktime :D&nbsp;&nbsp; Its funny because i dont remember anyones bike really.. and they are all worth 20x more then mine, yet people remember mine, funny that, usually they have to have somthing different to stick in ur mind, apart from a boy-rider with a crazy attatude to life, and a ratbike without any done maintanence, and that tickty tickty sound as the chain slaps when u ride, im pretty run-of-the-mill. :P

MikeL
17th April 2003, 08:07
Coldkiwi
I followed your advice about pulling the top of the ears up to straighten the ear canal. Must say beforehand I was a bit sceptical - I mean, there can only be one way to insert a squishy thing into a body orifice, surely? But no! What a revelation! Rode to Tauranga and back today and not only did the little orange thingies not work their way out, but the sound level stayed way down, so much so that as I did my usual 160 on the straight bit outside Waharoa the normal high-pitched scream was just a muffled purr so I had to roll on more throttle to try and get some sort of sensation. This way madness lies.:bash:

Kwaka-Kid
17th April 2003, 08:41
yep its true. i found the same thing, only @ work with air compressor.

And now im weighing up... Take my 400, i have taken a link out and chain is tight..but risk snapping the chain and then just thorowing away the bike coz it aint worth fixing the bottom end in my mind...

Or take my dads 1978 Suzuki GS1000, 29mm smoothborecarbs, homemade/weleded 2.5" exhaust and can muffler, Only about 5 year old front tyre but its pretty much bald, and about a 10-20 year old rear tyre, Avon Roadrunner, shes as hard as a mofo and wheelspins quiet easily in 1st @ low revvs, and shesTHE MOST SQUARE CUT tyre you ever saw, im dead serious, much like a car tyre.&nbsp; And that bikes done 150,000k's approx and does blow smoke.&nbsp; But the chain is alrite at least..

what to take? :/&nbsp; oh and both fork seals are leaky but thats nothing, i can ride hard with that.&nbsp; Hmm, i am thinking GS1000, any free time on track is worth taking up, even if i go really slow and dont lean thru corners.. then streightline the hell outtaher!.&nbsp;&nbsp; Oh and lastly shes got a 250's top brake resivour and 1 pot brakes but dual disc on front, trying to stop 260kg of hardnutz metal.&nbsp; I must say the brakes do scare me a littel, on the street it takeson average prolly 4x the stopping distance of my 400.&nbsp; that front tyre is hard and u cant loc kit up, but u cant do a stoppie either, brakes back then were not very good, especially when u took them from an even older (i think 1971) Suzuki GT750 :/&nbsp;&nbsp; may god help me stop that beast for the hairpin, because ill need to get from approx 250kmph to around 2 kmph to make it safely around the hairpin! No leaning allowed on that sucka :) (also not when u only weight mid 60kg :/)

bluninja
18th April 2003, 02:41
ColdKiwi, how much airflow do you need ? Yes the holes are smaller but since the exit is into a low pressure open area the air just lowers pressure and accelerates to higher speed going through the exit hole. However if you went fast enough the exiting air could go supersonic and you would get a lock......and loads of noise from the helmet.:D

As for the box of tricks; I'ts nice to know there is some in use in industrial conditions. I played with some speakers and a wave generator to reduce the noise of a diesel generator in my final year at college (Marine Engineering). Lots of fun, but wadding and a shell produced equivalent reduction for a fraction of the cost.

As for music, I find singing whilst I'm riding is great. Not even I can hear my singing, which is a good thing.

Errr....better go get my medication:calm:

&nbsp;

TTFN

Gixxer
18th April 2003, 05:50
When I do wear plugs on long trips I hear fine, the wind noise is cut out and I can still hear whats going on around me, plus the&nbsp;fact that I tend to use my mirrors alot, even without plugs in, you should always know whats going on around you&nbsp;even in a car, so you can see those over taking trucks.

I also like a bit of thrash metel when riding, have not lost the concentration yet.

Kwaka-Kid
18th April 2003, 08:06
"They say music can alter moods and talk to you
But can it load a gun for you and cock it too?"&nbsp; - Eminem, Sing for the moment

"They say music can alter moods and talk to you
But can it&nbsp;rev your bike&nbsp;for you and crash&nbsp;it too?" - Me, for you gixxer :P

Well im off to Mungawhai heads on saturday morning early, :) staying up there and jetskiing for 3days :D and car club hired puke tomorrow and&nbsp;are lettin me on for free:)

wkid_one
18th April 2003, 12:23
Feck - can I come down to the track?

Kwaka-Kid
18th April 2003, 12:40
Man i dunno, i hardly know the guy, he rememberd me, and then realised also that he knows the previous owner of my bike.. yadda yadda.. invited me into their little circle (riding group thingy) if i rode on the street like i did on the track, haha! which i replied no because i cant afford the tickets.. the usual bike bullshit went on then he invited me, so long as i come on 2 wheels im in for free and get some good riding in with a small group. but tell ya what, ill give the previous owner of my bike a ring and see if i can "bring a mate" Im taking the van down ('91 yota hiace) with my bike in back, stripped down a little...also i can take any crashed bikes back to aucks sorta thing, somebodys gotta do it and it may aswell be me.&nbsp; So yeah, Wkid_one im 025 685 2699, or 8180666. ill ring him right this second..

and post again, or, somthing, also icq 109906456, msn frenzalrhomb_16 at hotmail.com, got jetstart, so im always on these

and email, logo at xtra.co.nz

(emails done like that to avoid bot spam)

sweet az :)

Kwaka-Kid
18th April 2003, 12:43
JESUS CHRIST!

its bloody midnight , sorry i forgot, i only got home from 2nd job around 11:30pm, i loose track of time, i must sleep

Listen wkid, i reckon you should come down on your bike anyway, who is going to turn down a great rider on a nice bike?&nbsp; And if they did, you get to watch me have fun :D

haha no seriously, just cruise down i say, the guys seem really kool, the one i saw in haldanes was apparently on a Silver R1, he looked a little familiar, but anyways yeah wkid, come on down

Gixxer
18th April 2003, 22:22
thanks for the song KK, music may change the mood, but it does not rev the bike or make me loose my self control.

watch out for those low flying trucks man, I hear they can be dangerous.

might c u on the road sometime.

&nbsp;

happy easter everyone, and don't become an easter holiday statistic.

Kwaka-Kid
19th April 2003, 03:02
Already 4 killed last night

i wrote my bike off @ puke only 4 hours ago

life sux, kill me, why could i have died? WHY!

Gixxer
21st April 2003, 22:59
kk, that suxs, hope you came out of it ok.

Zed
26th April 2004, 19:56
Hearing loss is preventable. If you ride for any length of time without ear protection, you will suffer irreversible hearing damage
Remember

If you damage your motorcycle, you can either have it mended or you can buy a new one.

If you damage your hearing, you can’t have it mended and you can’t buy a new pair of ears!

see ya

Kiwi
After riding with a number of you now on the road and the track and seeing many wearing ear plugs I decided to buy some. I purchased a special reuseable trial pack off the internet from The Ear Plug Super Store for US$16.90. I figured this was a bargain after seeing them for sale at Motomail for nearly $50 for one set! :crazy:

This set arrived today and only took about 3-5 working days to arrive. Good value I reckon, and I can try each type to find out which ones suit me the best, then I can buy them individually in future.

http://store2.yimg.com/I/earplugstore_1786_914823 (http://store2.yimg.com/I/earplugstore_1782_251638)

http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/reustrialpac.html

Zed

wkid_one
26th April 2004, 20:01
Christ - you coulda got custom made earplugs for that price.

SPman
26th April 2004, 20:13
I use those Yellow ones joined together in the little EAR container in the pic. $5 from Mt Eden M/C's http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_2_21.gif

shandawg
26th April 2004, 20:17
Earplugs have helped me tremendously -

I was riding a bike I had just bought from Wellington back to Auckland, and my earplugs worked their way out just past bulls.

When I stopped on the roadside to put them back in, I noticed my new bike had pissed all it's oil out over the road and my back tyre.

Therefore not only did they save my ears, but also my a) engine and/or b) my life! :2thumbsup

Zed
26th April 2004, 20:39
Christ - you coulda got custom made earplugs for that price. Satan - no big deal to me! Maybe I will go customs one day?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_124.gif

Quasievil
26th April 2004, 20:56
Ive ever worn them on a bike, the Ducati isnt the quietest machine around, particulary mine so I heard on the loop the other week from fellow riders :finger: , so I probably should wear them.It would probably help alot with Fatigue also I guess on those long rides.
HEY Would it be a feesable excuse for not pulling over for a cop ??? would that wash in Court ? the ear plugs being a personal occupational health and safety measure you may have a case ? however on NZ roads that just might (in the eyes of the law) constitute a police chase :Police: and you would just get run over and killed , shit so much to think about. :spudwhat:

Holy Roller
26th April 2004, 21:12
I use those Yellow ones joined together in the little EAR container in the pic. $5 from Mt Eden M/C's http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_2_21.gif
Same
but I got mine from protector saftey not only use them on a trip but during the day when I'm tring to sleep after a night shift. they work very well in both situations. :yes:

pete376403
26th April 2004, 21:55
It is pleasing for me that so many of you are hearing concious. I am totally deaf in one ear, and about 60-70% in the other. Believe me when I say it is no fun, you have no idea how much interaction with other people is aural, rather than visual (think - talking on the phone, talking in the dark). Despite playing with very noisy toys most of my life (go karts, bikes, guns, Cat tractors, mainframe computer printers) my hearing loss isn't noise related (not THAT related, either!) Like some else suggested it can't be fixed, only patched up at best. Keep using the ear plugs, guys, and if you're not, you should be.

FROSTY
26th April 2004, 22:03
arent the modern helmets soposed to reduce the noise you hear?
I know my lid seems pretty quiet anyways.

Bleck K6
26th April 2004, 22:18
I wear them if I have any, or remember to take them with me.
must stock up on earplugs.

yessum
26th April 2004, 22:27
for shorter trips i have $5 plugs. They're rubber so they're easy and quick to use. Longer trips i use the expandable foam type, $8 for 3 pairs (chemist).
Much quieter, and I reuse them only if there's not too much wax on 'em :Pokey:

scumdog
27th April 2004, 00:02
I use blue Elvex brand from the hardware store.But i find i tend to sit at about 20kph faster, .

&nbsp;

Boris&nbsp;

Your'e right on that one!! first time I wore ear plugs the Sporty seemed smoother, quieter and seemed to want to sit 20K faster than before.
I bought one of those "shorty style helmets when I was in the States a couple of years ago, great on a sweltering day but the noise of the wind rushing past the webbing straps was like a compressor hose had burst beside your ear! the plugs fixed that and now a wear then anytime I'm on the open road

scumdog
27th April 2004, 00:04
for shorter trips i have $5 plugs. They're rubber so they're easy and quick to use. Longer trips i use the expandable foam type, $8 for 3 pairs (chemist).
Much quieter, and I reuse them only if there's not too much wax on 'em :Pokey:
Throw them in the washing machine with the laundry, most of the foam type deals are suitable for cleaning like that. ;)

Firefight
27th April 2004, 05:45
[QUOTE=yessum,
Much quieter, and I reuse them only if there's not too much wax on 'em .

Yeah thanks mate, a little more info than we needed ! :wacko:

F/F :whistle:

wkid_one
27th April 2004, 07:23
arent the modern helmets soposed to reduce the noise you hear?
I know my lid seems pretty quiet anyways.
A study has shown the wind noise alone in a helmet is what will impair your hearing. Even the most expensive and supposedly quiet helmet will impair your hearing through the wind noise if you ride for anything over 30 mins.

FzerozeroT
27th April 2004, 07:30
I use some super soft ones fluro yellow ones with a big flange on the back from protector saftey, I tried about 10 pairs of different ones and these kick ass. especialy for 60cents a pair.

toads
27th April 2004, 08:34
IVE NEVER even HEARD of ear plugs on motorcycles? My Old man says Harden up to yall :P Mind you hes old as hell (forty somthing) and had a pet dinosaur as a kid :P.&nbsp

hmmm, well speaking as someone nearly 50% deaf already I value what I have left of it!, I'm gonna use the ear plugs! I know a couple of totally deaf people and they have quite an isolated life, your Dad is old enough to know better, I hope his dinosaur is well LOL!!

Devil
27th April 2004, 08:56
I have a pair of Cabot ER20 HiFi Ear Plugs. Prob cost me $45-$50 a year and a half or so ago. Havent used them on the bike yet though.

http://media.zzounds.com/media/fit,325by400/quality,85/brand,zzounds/p266b-95f314a0acfff9948e2514cef6d37eeb.jpg

sparrow_34
27th April 2004, 09:17
I use those rubber yellow ones too, and found that by cutting off part of the rubber tit that sticks out of your ear they are much more comfortable, and don't snag on the inside of the helmet and feel like there poking into your brain. :Pokey:

Coldkiwi
27th April 2004, 09:59
if anyone thinks new helmets are mousey quiet, try riding with ear plugs in and then go for a good fang. BIG difference and helps with fatigue too. Helmets can only do so much with aerodynamics because they are limited on their aspect ratio (width to length...longer=more streamlined=quieter) to part the wind. And no one is going to build a heavier helmet to deaden the noise because it tires the head too much (I for one have a sore enough neck as it is!).
ear plugs are a simple and darn cheap solution and really very convienient once you get used to putting them in right. I've never had plastic custom ones but the foam jobbies work very nicely for me and don't dig into my ears :)

like has been said before... if you don't wear them on the open road- you should!

Devil
27th April 2004, 10:18
if anyone thinks new helmets are mousey quiet, try riding with ear plugs in and then go for a good fang. BIG difference and helps with fatigue too. Helmets can only do so much with aerodynamics because they are limited on their aspect ratio (width to length...longer=more streamlined=quieter) to part the wind. And no one is going to build a heavier helmet to deaden the noise because it tires the head too much (I for one have a sore enough neck as it is!).
ear plugs are a simple and darn cheap solution and really very convienient once you get used to putting them in right. I've never had plastic custom ones but the foam jobbies work very nicely for me and don't dig into my ears :)

like has been said before... if you don't wear them on the open road- you should!
Im just an L plate noob, and ive been pretty good with my 70km/h limit, but ill try wearing mine when I ride next. I have the plugs I posted above due to spending time playing in metal bands, they are bloody excellent. All they do is lower volume, but dont affect tone. I can hear people talking perfectly fine in them, nothing muffled, but cuts out shitty noises.

Im naturally a little hesitant about riding with earplugs, because I dont want to affect my senses in regard to other vehicles n stuff in close proximity! But ill get used to it I guess.

FzerozeroT
27th April 2004, 11:16
I found that most of my helmet noise comes from underneath (i.e. the big hole that you stick your head into! ) and my neck warmer cuts down quite a bit on noise. Still use plugs though cause 2T's are LOUD

FzerozeroT
27th April 2004, 11:16
sorry scratch that loud for TINNY

XRNR
27th April 2004, 11:27
Same
but I got mine from protector saftey not only use them on a trip but during the day when I'm tring to sleep after a night shift. they work very well in both situations. :yes:
Snap.
I have had to use these things for work or sleeping, as well as riding. After several hours of them being in, my ears get too sore.
So I went to an audiologist and got some made for for my own ears for about $50.

vifferman
27th April 2004, 12:12
I found that most of my helmet noise comes from underneath (i.e. the big hole that you stick your head into! ) and my neck warmer cuts down quite a bit on noise. Still use plugs though cause 2T's are LOUD

Reading all this stuff about quiet versus noisy helmets, I must throw my 2c worth in. I too have found that most of the wind noise comes not from airflow around/through the helmet itself, but from other things. My AGV helmet is quieter on the Firestorm than it was on the VFR, because the bike's screen is lower, so the airflow is directed more at my upper chest than at myshoulders/head as it was on the VFR. Still, most of the wind noise comes from the collar of my jacket and the airflow around the bottom of the helmet. By using your hand to deflect air, you can test this for yourself. The vents are very streamlined and seem to make little discernible difference to how noisy the helmet is.

I use earplugs whenever I travel on the open road for more than a few minutes, as I suffered from tinnitus (ringing in the ears) for ages after riding long distance on my VF500 a few years ago. This resulted solely from wind noise, not engine noise, exhaust noise, or whatever. Incidentally, I found that the plastic bead around the edge of the VF's screen made the airflow from it much more turbulent, and therefore created more wind noise and helmet buffeting. So I took it off, and put it back on again only when I sold the bike.

Yes, the earplugs do make it hard to hear some things, but to stretch that argument to its ridiculous conclusion, you could wear one of those "shorty" helmets so you could hear *everything*. I don't want to hear THAT much. Ever tried riding your bike near home, with NO helmet? Man, it's awful hearing all those clattering, clicking, rattling noises. Sounds like it's about to blow up!!

Arguments for not wearing earplugs are, in my opinion, totally spurious. Yes, it's a bit weird the first time you use them, and Yes, some plugs hurt your ears. Try various brands until you find some that work for you. There are even some that have holes so they cut out only the harmful frequencies, and some that enable you to wear stereo earbuds on long trips, while being protected from hearing loss.

Anyway, they're your ears, do what you want with them, but don't bitch to us when you're deaf.

k14
27th April 2004, 13:23
Totally agree. I reckon everyone should wear them. Cause in 40 or so years time it will be ACC paying the $4000 bill for you to get hearing aides. I always wear them if i am going for a ride. Got a decent supply from work that should last me atleast till the end of the year. Most ear plugs filter all the high frequencies like buffeting etc that are the most harmful to your hearing. You will be very surprised how quite it is with them in. You can still hear your bike aswell, probably better than without them.

pete376403
27th April 2004, 13:28
ACC doesn't pay for hearing aids or anything else unless you can PROVE that your hearing loss is the result of an accident - work related loss (ie noisy environment) doesn't count. I've been deaf for over 40 years and ACC has never contributed 1 cent.
(Currently trying to grub up the $40,000 needed for 1 cochlear implant)

Coldkiwi
27th April 2004, 17:04
I think people worry too much about not being able to hear warning sounds etc with ear plugs in. How much sound do you think you can hear in your car with the windows up?? quite a bit less than if you have just your helmet on and are outside so the relative difference with ear plugs added would be less than you think.

even though I have plugs in at all times, I seem to notice emergency vehicles approaching long before the cagers do.

anyway, the foam plugs generally drop all the frequencies by the same amount so the overall environment is quieter (except maybe on thumpy v-twins with loud bass-OONST! :niceone:) and your ears respond accordingly.
besides, when was the last one anyone got knocked off their bike by an ambulance or fire engine?! (they're some of the best drivers around)

k14
27th April 2004, 17:09
I reckon i can hear other noises better with ear plugs in.

Example, i have my radar on my bike. I can sometimes hear it doing around 100kph without earplugs. I can always hear it with ear plugs in and i don't need to try hard to listen for it. I mount my radar on my screen and just have the speaker turned up loud.

But thats just my opinion, but I will always wear earplugs. Doesn't worry me I mightn't hear something.

k14
27th April 2004, 17:12
ACC doesn't pay for hearing aids or anything else unless you can PROVE that your hearing loss is the result of an accident - work related loss (ie noisy environment) doesn't count. I've been deaf for over 40 years and ACC has never contributed 1 cent.
(Currently trying to grub up the $40,000 needed for 1 cochlear implant)

Ok, my bad. I'll rephrase what I said then.

In 40 or so years time YOU will be paying the $4000 or so to get hearing aides, or if it is really bad you will have to get a cochlear implant.

SPman
27th April 2004, 17:39
Totally agree. I reckon everyone should wear them. Cause in 40 or so years time it will be ACC paying the $4000 bill for you to get hearing aids.. $7000 and it took 25yrs! ACC paid! Industrial deafness!

work related loss (ie noisy environment) doesn't count well, it worked for me - ACC paid OK

marty
27th April 2004, 19:19
I think people worry too much about not being able to hear warning sounds etc with ear plugs in. How much sound do you think you can hear in your car with the windows up?? quite a bit less than if you have just your helmet on and are outside so the relative difference with ear plugs added would be less than you think.

)

good point. try driving a convertible MG or something that's a bit windy, and see what you can (and can't) hear. I wear plugs most of the time (if i remember to take them out of my helmet - i tuck them under the lining so i don't lose them.

BugSplat
27th April 2004, 19:47
Any ride more than 20 Min I use the orange 3M disposables $0.60 from placemakers Porirua.

k14
27th April 2004, 19:52
Any ride more than 20 Min I use the orange 3M disposables $0.60 from placemakers Porirua.

Those are the same ones I use, except I *ahem* "aquired" them from work. Have to be "safe" riding to work and all that stuff, so I made sure I took enough incase I lost some or something :msn-wink:

Coldkiwi
28th April 2004, 09:17
hehe , my excuse for using work plugs is that if I loose my hearing through biking, i'm no good to work as an acoustics engineer so its in thier interests! (besides the box has got hundreds of plugs in it and no one else uses them)

Kickaha
28th April 2004, 09:44
I don't ride without them,I did find like Boris I tended to ride faster when I first started using them,but once used to the noise difference and checking the speedo a lot I soon got that sorted,the difference at the end of a long ride was huge with no ringing in the ears.

On the road I have mirrors to see if there's someone behind me on the track I don't bother checking behind or care if I can hear where they are,because the focus should always be where I'm going and not bothering about anything else.

I used to use a AGV helmet which I didn't think to bad noise wise,but after going to a BMW systems 3 the reduction in noise was huge,I now use a Lazer which I find fairly good,but found on the XJ550 the small fairing directs the wind straight onto the helmet and make it a lot noisier than on a unfaired bike and the earplugs are a must

pete376403
28th April 2004, 10:08
$7000 and it took 25yrs! ACC paid! Industrial deafness!
well, it worked for me - ACC paid OK

What industry?
I had a degree of deafness (not much, but apparently enough) before I started work, so everything after that was an "existing condition, not related to work," etc.

Coldkiwi
28th April 2004, 12:22
What industry?
I had a degree of deafness (not much, but apparently enough) before I started work, so everything after that was an "existing condition, not related to work," etc.

yah, to prove industrial related deafness, you really need to have an audiological test BEFORE you start work there (or right now if you're worried about it in the future) so that when you do go to ACC, you can take your first test report and have it compared to a new one so it shows further hearing loss.

But the real solution if you're worried about it now is to get your employer to provide you with suitable hearing protection right now and use them. Construction sites are terrible for this sort of thing where guys assume because they're not using the grinder/concrete cutter/jackhammer that their hearing isn't getting damaged.. even when they're standing next to it. Happens ALLLLLL the time in NZ. :gob:

Milky
28th April 2004, 15:42
yah, to prove industrial related deafness, you really need to have an audiological test BEFORE you start work there (or right now if you're worried about it in the future) so that when you do go to ACC, you can take your first test report and have it compared to a new one so it shows further hearing loss.

But the real solution if you're worried about it now is to get your employer to provide you with suitable hearing protection right now and use them. Construction sites are terrible for this sort of thing where guys assume because they're not using the grinder/concrete cutter/jackhammer that their hearing isn't getting damaged.. even when they're standing next to it. Happens ALLLLLL the time in NZ. :gob:

My dad is a terrible culprit for that - he will mow lawns, use the belt sander, grinder, circular saw, engraver etc etc or stand near one of us doing the same thing and not use earplugs/muffs :stupid: I think my constant nagging and the fact that he cant hear the radio or dinner conversation if it is at a slightly lower level than normal is getting him to slowly make a change. Unfortunately when you get to that age it is a bit late to prevent the damage from being done :( I used to use ear plugs for motorcycling, but when I started commuting I stopped, probably because i am generally more rushed in preparing to leave...

Coldkiwi
28th April 2004, 16:19
yeah, the older generations are terrible for being ignorant about hearing loss. So many guys over 50 (my dad included) have an attitude of 'well it doesn't sound loud to me anymore since I've already lost my hearing so whats the point?'. (err... you might still be living for another 30-50 years!?) Closely followed by 'well, we didn't know we where damaging our hearing when we were young so its not our fault.'
Seems to be hard for them to change their ways... despite the fact that I'm sure most guys want to be able to hear their grandchildren when they get old

White trash
28th April 2004, 16:21
yeah, the older generations are terrible for being ignorant about hearing loss. So many guys over 50 (my dad included) have an attitude of 'well it doesn't sound loud to me anymore since I've already lost my hearing so whats the point?'. (err... you might still be living for another 30-50 years!?) Closely followed by 'well, we didn't know we where damaging our hearing when we were young so its not our fault.'
Seems to be hard for them to change their ways... despite the fact that I'm sure most guys want to be able to hear their grandchildren when they get old

Not if they're anything like my kids :lol:

toads
29th April 2004, 22:51
Not if they're anything like my kids :lol:

:2thumbsup nor mine mate!!

Motu
30th April 2004, 08:40
I am using the Alpine ear plugs,they work great but are hard to fit right.I have some hearing loss,quite bad actualy,but as they say it's done now.I don't like normal ear plugs,make me feel like I'm underwater,feel a bit disorientated and can hear even less than normal,which is not good.With the Alpine plugs only the wind noise is taken out,I don't feel stuffed up,can hear my bike,traffic noises and people talking,so that means I put them in,not leave them out because they irritate me like normal plugs.

But....they are hard to fit and remove,if you don't get them in right the hard filters press on the outer ear and it's murder when you pull the helmet off.If they go in too far you can't get them out...the filter pulls off,bad news.I think I'll take a small pair of needlenose pliers next time to pull them out with.But they work so well I'm prepard to put up with the hassles.

Coldkiwi
4th May 2004, 13:29
good on ya for persevering Motu. Hearing loss is one of those things that most people don't think about preventing till its too late.

Motu
4th May 2004, 13:59
My work enviroment is quite noisey,but as mechanics we just take it as our job,never a thought to our ears.But my wife has acute hearing and covers her ears when she comes into the shop - putting on wheels with a hammer gun is painful to her,just blowing something out with the air gun has her upset...ain't she wierd?

So being exposed to her she made me try and wear ear muffs at work - at the time I was working on compressors,standing beside a diesel motor and compressor,setting up the regulators,or going into a large factory with half a doz or more compressors in a row - I would shut one down,then crawl in beside it to do the work,another compressor working hard right beside me.When I put on my ear muffs the other guys would laugh at me and say what a wanker,sad eh? So the damage was done before I knew it was gone - at least I found out,those of the generations before me never did.

MikeL
4th May 2004, 14:30
Just as a matter of interest: how many of you in the older age group suffer from some degree of tinnitus (ringing in the ears)?

pete376403
4th May 2004, 14:48
me for a start - what is really annoying is that I can't hear "real" sound (ie external sound) of this frequency but the tinnitus chirps away like a demented cicada (as I remember them). Either that or just a single tone, like a whistle - about 1/2 second, pause a bit, another whistle, pause a bit, whistle. Gets me going after a while.

Motu
4th May 2004, 15:10
Oh yeah,we got that alright.Parties or large groups of people,pubs etc are places to avoid for me,have been for years.People talk to me - I just don't know what they are talking about,nod my head and say yeah to everything - I prefer to be a wall flower,or fly on the wall.

NZIrish
5th May 2004, 20:01
hearing aids now as a result of years riding without plugs, the audiologist wasn't very impressed fitting me out for them at the age of 29! (10yrs ago) my wife repeats things twice when I have them out and my favorite saying is 'aye' or 'what'....mind you guns and drums dont help either.....if ya dont wear them, start now for shits sake.

Coldkiwi
7th May 2004, 12:23
i've got a bit of tinnitus but i can only tell when I have the ear muffs on in a quiet room. And I was never into loud pubs etc much either! a few loud concerts but I normally tried to avoid very loud gigs... just shows how sensitive our ears are!

SPman
10th May 2004, 21:44
What industry?
Building. Had tests done in 1989 when things were a getting a bit off and they served as a benchmark - always pays to have something on record with ACC.
I'd watch the tinnitus, Richard. As my Tinnitus increased, so my high and med. frequency hearing decreased! For the last 8-9 years there has never been a quiet moment! I also use earplugs at pubs and concerts these days as well! Better late than never and its much more pleasant as well !