PDA

View Full Version : Pacific MCC Taupo Race Meet 13/4

bluninja
14th April 2003, 13:56
Well I managed my first race of the year at Taupo yesterday. The conditions were fine and sunny with no wind. Ideal !

First let me say I had a fantastic time, and the event was run in a fair and safe manner. BUT (and you knew there was something coming) the organisation and scheduling was a bit of a shambles. The printed running order was revised on the morning....fair enough. Until people arrive and sign-on (you sign on the day) you don't know exactly what classes you will be running, and how many are doubling up. However it was changed in flight, and often riders were called for the 'wrong' race. F3 was way oversubscribed with 27 riders...a lot entering their bike in other classes AND F3 (supermotard, 125GP, 150). 27 riders on Taupo is way too much IMHO.

Having only ridden in 2 meets before I bottled it and entered the clubmans class (which didn't have 27 riders in it). Just as well, I rode around my first practice session like I was on a Harley...except I didn't even open up down the straight. Thanks to Mitch and the flag marshal for their advice and encouragement. Second practice was better and my tyres were almost warming up.

Race 1 in clubmans and I'm on the second row next to a formula 1 GSXR750.....Well they were down for this race slot, but Clubmans was called instead. A marshall spotted this and sent him on his way. So 6 people in the race...a GSF1200, a post classic GS1100, a post classic Triumph 750, a RS250, a TZR250 and me on an SV650. After a slow start I eventually passed the Triumph out of the esses, and feeling good let him squeeze down my inside in the sweeper just so I could take him on the exit and over the finish line in 4th.

Race 2 saw the disappearance of the GSF1200, as he'd raced in formula 1. A buell 1200 tried getting in on the act but was waved back to the pits from the start line. Off the start line I was half a wheel down from the GS1100 approaching the first corner and then suddenly I braked before anyone else and the RS250 shot past me. I managed to stay close behind the RS250 most of the race, but finished 3rd, but half a lap ahead of the triumph.

Success! I didn't fall off....and I had lots of fun.

Sadly the last race was cancelled. The 3rd formula 3 race was red flagged when 8 riders went down at the hairpin on the first lap. Mitch (a member on this forum was one of them). Nobody was hurt, but quite a few banged bikes, of which Mitch's fared worst. Due to the amount of oil spilled on the approach to the hairpin....and right across the track at the hairpin it was decided that the last 2 races be cancelled as the track would be too dangerous (needed lots more cement and cleaning). Having felt how slippy it was after being cemented and brushed (with my boot) I think it was a great decision.

Next round if June 15th at Taupo. Hopefully they will have learned lots from this meeting and it will be better scheduled during the day. But the friendly laid back atmosphere was great....and for those of you in Auckland it's only a 3.5 hour trip.

Mitch, put a brave face on things; but I guess she was pretty gutted; not only to be bashed about, but to have the most damaged bike. Lets hope she's got it back to racing condition again soon as.

TTFN

SPman
14th April 2003, 18:07
Well done that man :)  and condolences to Mitch :(

SPman
14th April 2003, 18:10

Mitch
15th April 2003, 11:27
:eek:   Oh what a weekend.  Thanks for the support and condolences Bluninja and SPman.  I'm VERY happy to report :D  the bike restoration is WELL under way and i'm back at work hehe (not quite so happy about that )                        

Was fantastic to see you get some of your confidence back Bluninja.  I still remember the day you passed me (on the outside OUCH) :rolleyes: going into the right hander at Taupo.  You'll be back up to your old pace in no time.

Just for the record "I AM NOT A JUDDER BAR!!"  If someone has to knock me off bike bike, I would very much appreciate it if they would refrain from then running me over.  :D

Safe Riding all

:done:

dennis
27th April 2003, 17:34
hello dennis here , just to answer bluninja regarding the pacific motorcycle club taupo series. sorry about the lack of organisation we had some keen new members doing the organising , next rounds we will have an improvment through more gidance from more experanced club members who have done this series before running it as it was intended, a low stress fun race day, next your worrie about 27 entrys in F3, personaly I would like to have seen more as that is why I started in F3 after graduating from clubmans I enjoy close racing . I realise the large field may not be to everbodys taste but there are perverts like me who enjoy this. As far as the idiots who try to sneak into clubmans for an extra race we are always trying to keep them out and Im glad we got another out , because clubmans is for clubmans racers only. Im glad you had a good day and hope you enjoy the next rounds even more.at the next rounds feel free to look me up Im easy to spot in the cowboy hat I was the one on the flag directing you onto the track. normaly Im racing to but my racebike is out of action after my last effort at taupo. Thank you for listening to my dribble . stay fast & upright.

bluninja
27th April 2003, 17:44
Dennis, thanks for that, and for your advice after my slow wobbly first practice (fat guy on little yellow SV650) when they said the flag marshall wanted to see me I thought I'd done something really wrong (apart from being late to practice).

I hope to be at the next round as I really enjoyed the last one (as I said in my opening remarks). It will be even better with just a bit more finesse on the organisational side. Look forward to seeing you there.

TTFN