PDA

View Full Version : New, but old - both me and my bike

Dr Bob
21st May 2004, 10:22
Howdy all

I have been domesticated for some time now, but I can't seem to get rid of the need for two wheels. I have had my current bike for about 8 years, and still own the one before that from the eighties - although this is now for some future project.

Unfortunately I am now a commuter :doh: , northwestern motorway and all that crap - but better than a cage.

Be good to listen to the raves, and maybe get connected to technical help, parts etc.

jrandom
21st May 2004, 11:06
Unfortunately I am now a commuter :doh: , northwestern motorway and all that crap - but better than a cage.

Welcome to the site. If you're ever on the NW motorway morning or evening and see a large-ish chappie in black gear filtering nuttily into the distance on a small blue 'zook, that's me. Also, if you see an even-larger-ish chappie riding a GSX1100 and making it look like a Street Magic until you get close enough to resolve the perspective, that's Big Dog.

wari
21st May 2004, 11:12
Hey Dr BOb ... :spudwave:

Didn't you used to be on a tv program ??

The muppets or something ?

vifferman
21st May 2004, 11:20
Greetings, Dr Bob!

Welcome to Kiwi Biker.

Hmmm... 8 years.... must be time for a new(er) one. (Well, it would be for me. The longest I ever managed was about 7 years before feeling the need for a more betterer bike.)

Ms Piggy
21st May 2004, 11:41
Welcome Dr Bob - you'll make some great riding mates here. I have :yes:

Motu
21st May 2004, 12:13
Yeah,welcome - I've just started commuting on the North Western,bit of a shock for me.I've thought about using a bike,but I'm only on from Te Atatu to Pt Chev in the left lane which seems to flow ok.Getting to the on ramp is the biggest delay,but the last 2 mornings it's only taken 30mins to get to Mt Roskill - I'm going 10km further in more traffic but spending 10 mins extra on the road,that's ok.

Hey - ps....I love those red XJs with the curvy spokes.

FROSTY
21st May 2004, 12:39
welcolm Dr Bob --another xj man--yeeehaa I thought i was alone here :doh:
Id love to see ya bike -It is one of my all time favorite bikes

Blackbird
21st May 2004, 17:32
And welcome! There's a great bunch of people on the site and an equally great range of discussion topics. Also very pleased to see that another "well domesticated" person can't get rid of the need for 2 wheels - there are more than a few of us about. Besides, it gives our better halves something to roll their eyes and tut about :whistle:

Regards

Geoff

Big Dog
21st May 2004, 18:06
Also, if you see an even-larger-ish chappie riding a GSX1100 and making it look like a Street Magic until you get close enough to resolve the perspective, that's Big Dog.
:lol:
Welcome to the jungle!
Welcome to the neighbourhood (the net neighborhood that is)

Zed
21st May 2004, 18:14
...northwestern motorway and all that crap - but better than a cage...
Agree entirely with you there Dr- it's a shocking route but someones gotta take it! I can't wait for teleportation to be invented for commuting to work :msn-wink:

Welcome to KB!

Zed

Dr Bob
1st June 2004, 14:42
Greetings, Dr Bob!

Welcome to Kiwi Biker.

Hmmm... 8 years.... must be time for a new(er) one. (Well, it would be for me. The longest I ever managed was about 7 years before feeling the need for a more betterer bike.)
It would be, that is natural. But having just finished a PhD and renovating two houses I would say it is only a matter of time.

Dr Bob
1st June 2004, 14:49
welcolm Dr Bob --another xj man--yeeehaa I thought i was alone here :doh:
Id love to see ya bike -It is one of my all time favorite bikes
A big picture is on my public profile. The bike is relatively original with 83000 k's, although I suffered a large rock through the headlight at one stage and had to replace it with whatever I could get - I think the casing etc. is from an XS400. The windage is a Givi that I cut down with a jigsaw and re-edged. My biggest issue is the front brakes and forks, if anyone knows of a replacement option please contact me.

vifferman
1st June 2004, 14:50
It would be, that is natural. But having just finished a PhD and renovating two houses I would say it is only a matter of time.
Ah... house renovation. Now there's a veritable black hole as far as money and time are concerned.... <sigh>

Dr Bob
1st June 2004, 14:51
:lol:
Welcome to the jungle!
Welcome to the neighbourhood (the net neighborhood that is)
Actually it's not just the net neighborhood, I'm also in Te Atatu

Dr Bob
1st June 2004, 14:54
Ah... house renovation. Now there's a veritable black hole as far as money and time are concerned.... <sigh>
I am in the middle of the kitchen at the moment. New appliances, new cabinets, work to the exterior wall, etc. etc. I found some coins this morning for petrol.

vifferman
1st June 2004, 15:14
Hope they were freakin' big shiny gold ones. ANd lots of em.
Oh - that's right - you don't ride a VTR (has a thirst like an Ozzie in the Outback, y'know).

Built me a kitchen on our house in Tauranga: ripped out a wall, the H/W cylinder, and all the cupboards, sink, the whole shebang. Then rebuilt the whole thing from the floor up (well, had to fix the floor too...)
Did everything meself, apart from the gas plumbing. A very satisfying project, and very nice outcome.

Shame we sold the house afterwards.
And that I had to repeat much of the exercise when we moved to D'Auckland.... :disapint:

jrandom
1st June 2004, 16:10

Me too.

Back up to three KBers in Tatters, eh. Bluninja would be proud. Are you in the norf or sarf?

Dr Bob
1st June 2004, 16:17
Me too.

Back up to three KBers in Tatters, eh. Bluninja would be proud. Are you in the norf or sarf?
I think the norf? If I knew what three KBers were.

jrandom
1st June 2004, 16:23
I think the norf? If I knew what three KBers were.

Three KBers would be three, er, Kiwi Biker forum members. As in "Three shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, excepting that thou then goest on to three."

You get the idea.

And you're in the norf if you're norf of the bridge that goes over the NW motorway. You're in the sarf if there's no easily-defensible chokepoint between you and the wilds of Henderson.

Big Dog
1st June 2004, 18:24
O I C Said the blind man to the deaf man.

Big Dog
1st June 2004, 18:30
Me too.

I think there be more than three.

There be Training Wheels.
There Be Me
There Be J Random.
There be A south african female can't remember her tag.
There Be Dr Bob
There be a pommy dude on a old gsxr 750 or thou, can't remember his tag either..

FROSTY
2nd June 2004, 00:38
A big picture is on my public profile. The bike is relatively original with 83000 k's, although I suffered a large rock through the headlight at one stage and had to replace it with whatever I could get - I think the casing etc. is from an XS400. The windage is a Givi that I cut down with a jigsaw and re-edged. My biggest issue is the front brakes and forks, if anyone knows of a replacement option please contact me.
I hope the advise helped.
dang that is one origonal looking xj750
dont ruin it by fitting a 4 into one --they run real bad if ya do

MikeL
2nd June 2004, 09:01

Welcome, Dr Bob.

House renovations: My sympathies. Did up a 4 brm bung in Mt Eden in the early 80s. It was fun (sort of). Ten years later stupidly accepted the challenge of an 1890s kauri villa in 4 flats described cheerfully by the real estate as "not for the faint hearted". At each stage it's an even bet whether you run out of money or enthusiasm first... the latest (bathroom) has taken 2 and a half years - it's almost done (only about another 6 weekends plus my two-week holiday coming up...)

PhD: a future ambition of mine (for when I run out of things to do to the house). What was your thesis on?
(Please, please say "A critical analysis of contemporary Old and New Testament exegesis with particular reference to socio-psychological aspects of extreme fundamentalist/literalist beliefs". Not that it would impress Zed but it might stop him going on about "authority" for a little while...)

Dr Bob
2nd June 2004, 09:40
Welcome, Dr Bob.

House renovations: My sympathies. Did up a 4 brm bung in Mt Eden in the early 80s. It was fun (sort of). Ten years later stupidly accepted the challenge of an 1890s kauri villa in 4 flats described cheerfully by the real estate as "not for the faint hearted". At each stage it's an even bet whether you run out of money or enthusiasm first... the latest (bathroom) has taken 2 and a half years - it's almost done (only about another 6 weekends plus my two-week holiday coming up...)

PhD: a future ambition of mine (for when I run out of things to do to the house). What was your thesis on?

"Asynchronous communication technology: An organisatioal perspective of efficacy and use" Pretty much what we are doing here. And I am sorry to boast but we have been in our house for 2 1/2 years and I've done the landscaping, bathroom, lounge, dining, hall, and kitchen. Our current house is easy, it is 1955 brick and tile, our first house was an 1880's villa in Kihikihi, entirely made of kauri, matai, and filler.