PDA

View Full Version : No L, just Cool M.

L.L. Cool M
14th June 2006, 14:17
After 4.5 months and 1800km of riding a bike I passed my restricted today. It was not a big deal as I thought I would be good enough to pass, hence the sitting of the test. There was a bit of angst in the beginning when we couldn't find the WOF sticker on my bike and so was not going to be allowed to even start the test. Eventually it was found on the back of the rego sticker running flat against the bike, rendering it totally unvisible.

I was given a radio for communication and this made things easy. I did it in Manukau and before the test started I mentioned how I didn't know the area well and that if I saw no speed signs I would keep to just under 50km/hr. What this means is that in areas above 50km/hr the tester actually radioed the road speeds in to me! That was pretty sweet.

I put both feet down at all stops and almost treated give way signs like stop signs given the traffic around at the time. I wore a tinted visor. I went a little too slow if anything, and of course you give way to everything (even dogs -especially dogs on bikes) and be more hesitant than usual. I was overly looking round, but at the end of the course the tester commented how they come down hard on people not checking around them. I had to do one superman and two u-turns, one on quite a narrow street which isn't so easy on a ZXR.

The tester said there was nothing wrong with what I did and even asked if I had had any formal instruction. I think it is important to not stress too much about the test, posting on here lots in a panicky way doesn't help. If you are confident you'll pass, go do it, it's easy. If you don't back yourself, don't book the test.

Doing the BRONZ course is good.

R6_kid
14th June 2006, 14:53
good shit man, my restricted only took about 10mins... basically rode no more than 4km and was done, only did one u-turn on a nearly 4 lane wide road at a time when there was not traffic.

My full test was similar, just longer, and a lot wetter. No u-turn in the full test for me though, guess the tester was being nice to me because it was pissing down with rain.

mikey
14th June 2006, 14:58
gay...............................

kiwifruit
14th June 2006, 15:26
congrats :niceone:

WRT
14th June 2006, 16:20
I had to do one superman and two u-turns, one on quite a narrow street which isn't so easy on a ZXR.

They made you do a superman (http://news.dipag.com/pictures/hilres/20021125/0000000187.jpg) on a narrow street, riding a ZXR? Geez, licence criteria are really toughening up these days!

apteryx_haasti
14th June 2006, 18:34
They made you do a superman on a narrow street, riding a ZXR? Geez, licence criteria are really toughening up these days!

WRT - I was going to say "Thanks for clarifying what a superman is.." but after looking at the picture, I'm guessing that I'm not any the wiser, at least for sitting a restricted test!

LL Cool M - congrats, and what's a superman???

Leong
14th June 2006, 18:46
Congrats... and yes..what is a superman? Keen on more practice this weekend?

WRT
15th June 2006, 09:03
Well, that's the off-road version. On road you can do this (http://photos.swmosportbikes.com/thetank/first-set/images/superman-stunt.jpg) instead, but how either of them fits into a licence test I have no idea.

sil3nt
15th June 2006, 10:06
i think i have exclusive footage of the superman from his test

http://www.clanextreme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691

:nya:

L.L. Cool M
15th June 2006, 10:42
The superman I had to do was not the off-road version, that's just being silly. Clearly it was of the type presented in the second picture. This was to demonstrate I knew the correct position for lane splitting.

Leong- I will go for a Kawakawa Bay ride or the Leong Invitational (Mountain Rd) at some point this weekend. I should be much faster due to the lack of an L-plate parachute on the back. Though what day, what time, and what colour underpants (red is faster?) I'm not sure yet.