PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate help 4 riding safer

carver
14th June 2006, 15:19
ok guys
this is illegal
but it works.
since january last year i have always ridden in the day time with me high beams on, and low during the night.
i hardly ever get flashed:gob:
high beam is more noticable for cager's, and also my near misses have dropped dramatically.
i would recomend it to anyone!
anyone else use this practice, or use LED's on the front of the bike (narrow focus)

Hitcher
14th June 2006, 15:34
Whoa! Rewind the tape. It's all my fault. I should have had my high-beam on on Sunday.

ZeroIndex
14th June 2006, 15:35
I'm gonna do that from now on..

terbang
14th June 2006, 15:37
High beam at night in someones night adjusted eyes is dangerous but during the day our eyes are adjusted differently and it really isn't much of a problem. Think I'll give it a go though the closest shave I have had recently came from behind.

carver
14th June 2006, 15:37
Whoa! Rewind the tape. It's all my fault. I should have had my high-beam on on Sunday.

com'n man, i have had a few oldies prany me too, zero and i do a lot of in town stuff, its good to see that blue light on the display on, and know others will see you.
no need for sarcasam:bye:

skelstar
14th June 2006, 16:20
Sarcasim is what some people do.

Good idea. I did that for ages on my 250, but my new headies on my Hornet are too bright I think. Thats what someone suggested to me anyway.

Loud exhausts are pretty effective too (for people infront) ;).

Squeak the Rat
14th June 2006, 16:27
I'm not convinced. While it might be easier to see I suspect that it would also be harder to judge distance and speed of a single light on full beam (or two very close together which would appear to be a single light in the prescribed conditions).

I prefer to change position, and to make sure people have seen me.

Hitcher
14th June 2006, 16:32
Sarcasim is what some people do.
Me, I'm more into sarchasm...

cuppa
14th June 2006, 17:21
Never used it but will try on next ride

inlinefour
14th June 2006, 18:35
ok guys
this is illegal
but it works.
since january last year i have always ridden in the day time with me high beams on, and low during the night.
high beam is more noticable for cager's, and also my near misses have dropped dramatically.
anyone else use this practice, or use LED's on the front of the bike (narrow focus)

I get farked off with any kunt who thinks they have the right to ride or drive around with their lights on full beam straight into the path of on coming traffic. Such tosspots have no right to be on a bike and should have their licience removed for doing it on purpose. I see there are 3 here that do it, wankers! :finger: :moon: :finger: More people with the latest fast growning syndrome, the fuck everyone else syndrome. :nono:

justsomeguy
14th June 2006, 18:53
I get farked off with any kunt who thinks they have the right to ride or drive around with their lights on full beam straight into the path of on coming traffic. Such tosspots have no right to be on a bike and should have their licience removed for doing it on purpose. I see there are 3 here that do it, wankers! :finger: :moon: :finger: More people with the latest fast growning syndrome, the fuck everyone else syndrome. :nono:

What's with the red rep?? If you are blinded by high beams in broad sunshine then you need your eyes examined.

I always use high beam on bright sunny days, low beam when it's cloudy and I find it the safest thing to do.

You can do what you want and take your chances with the "Oops I didn't see you" brigade.

For the record - I think you need your head examined.

ZeroIndex
14th June 2006, 18:55
you have a point..

inlinefour
14th June 2006, 19:05
What's with the red rep?? If you are blinded by high beams in broad sunshine then you need your eyes examined.

I always use high beam on bright sunny days, low beam when it's cloudy and I find it the safest thing to do.

You can do what you want and take your chances with the "Oops I didn't see you" brigade.

For the record - I think you need your head examined.

Na you'd rather look after yourself and be the "screw everyone else brigade" which makes you just as bad as the "Oops I didn't see you" brigade. Rather hypocritical IMO and makes you just as bad as those you dispise by lowering your standard to their. I was up north last week I had several bikes go past me with their headlight on full beam. Yes it did blind me when they went past as I was driving along roads I was not used to and was paying attention to where I was going. But then again, I was in a cage, so perhaps I had no right to be able to see where I was going anyway?

Oh boohoo, justsomewanker red repped me, if you could engage the brain boy you might be able to figure why you got it in the first place...

justsomeguy
14th June 2006, 19:48
Oh boohoo, justsomewanker red repped me, if you could engage the brain boy you might be able to figure why you got it in the first place...

Just returning your gesture.

Anyway if you could raise yourself above petty personal attacks and name calling.....

I was up north last week I had several bikes go past me with their headlight on full beam. Yes it did blind me when they went past as I was driving along roads I was not used to and was paying attention to where I was going. But then again, I was in a cage, so perhaps I had no right to be able to see where I was going anyway...

I assume this was during the day - how sunny was it? If it was bright then I support their behaviour. If it was cloudy I agree with you.

Was thier light so bright that it actually blinded you from looking (in broad daylight) at your own lane??

Who cares if you were in a cage...... I'm a cager myself as are most of us here.

If you can respond like an adult do so - or don't respond at all.

Zed
14th June 2006, 20:30
What's with the red rep??Lol, your mate Inline is red repping from the poll results!! I bet you regret your poll choice now JSG. :shutup:

As for me having high-beam on during the day, the answer is no, I've never found it necessary. Sux getting blinded though!

inlinefour
14th June 2006, 20:32
Just returning your gesture.

Anyway if you could raise yourself above petty personal attacks and name calling.....

I assume this was during the day - how sunny was it? If it was bright then I support their behaviour. If it was cloudy I agree with you.

Was thier light so bright that it actually blinded you from looking (in broad daylight) at your own lane??

Who cares if you were in a cage...... I'm a cager myself as are most of us here.

If you can respond like an adult do so - or don't respond at all.

Law states you cannot drive or ride around with your headlights on full during the day, no matter what the light is like. The adult comment is a tad ripe coming from you, I listen to what others say when they are all saying the same thing. So not only do other roads users have to put up with the sunny conditions, but ignorant individuals like yourself with their light(s) on full beam. :tugger:

justsomeguy
14th June 2006, 20:40
Lol, your mate Inline is red repping from the poll results!! I bet you regret your poll choice now JSG. :shutup:

As for me having high-beam on during the day, the answer is no, I've never found it necessary. Sux getting blinded though!

He's not a mate, I only know him online.

After knowing me for nearly two years I guess you know how much I care about red rep and "what people think" .:innocent:

I still will use full beams on bright sunny days. You can barely notice the lights of my MC22 on low beam on a bright day.

MidnightMike
14th June 2006, 20:42
Ive done that ever since i started riding, never knew it was illegal and if its gonna save my ass im not gonna care. :nya:

justsomeguy
14th June 2006, 20:43
Law states you cannot drive or ride around with your headlights on full during the day, no matter what the light is like. The adult comment is a tad ripe coming from you, I listen to what others say when they are all saying the same thing. So not only do other roads users have to put up with the sunny conditions, but ignorant individuals like yourself with their light(s) on full beam. :tugger:

We can all choose to be mature when we want to and idiots when we want to.

It's just an online poll, in the real world I do whatever I feel the situation demands not generalise like you are attempting to do.

Come say hi if you're in Auckland, it sure beats talking shit online.

inlinefour
14th June 2006, 20:56
Come say hi if you're in Auckland, it sure beats talking shit online.

Im just saying its a shitty thing to do having your headlight(s) on full beam during the day, that simple.

You know I'm starting to get the feeling what some KBers think they should be able to go do what they want and just biarch about other road users who have the same attitude, esp cagers.

justsomeguy
14th June 2006, 21:00
Im just saying its a shitty thing to do having your headlight(s) on ful beam during the day, that somple.

OK fairy muff - have a bike to clean see you later.

paturoa
14th June 2006, 21:01
Always since an unfortunate / lucky encounter with someone pulling out from a stop sign in front of me on my GS1000 last year.

I drive my cage too and even though i have a bikedar I notice the bikes with high beam much sooner than low or none.

diggydog
14th June 2006, 21:01
ok guys
this is illegal
but it works.
I agree with cagers being able to seeing use more with high beam,the light is shinning more up bright.
The other reason for myself using high beam is we only have one light, if this blows you still have low beam, especially when it's dark.:blip: :bye:

Dafe
14th June 2006, 21:27

Totally agree. Driving into oncoming traffic, even during the day..... with your high beams on??? Pretty damn inconsiderate if you ask me!
I hope those people crash sooner than later, can do without them on the roads.

APPLE
14th June 2006, 21:47
i am, a bit of both?low beam wen crusing,and high beam wen im up the ass of a boy racer........:yes:

ZeroIndex
14th June 2006, 22:06
i am, a bit of both?low beam wen crusing,and high beam wen im up the ass of a boy racer........:yes:
now that sounds sensible.. even inlinefour will have to agree..

inlinefour
15th June 2006, 03:35
now that sounds sensible.. even inlinefour will have to agree..

I do not believe that its a good idea to upset any other road user with that sort of behaviour. You might get away with it, but that driver might end up taking it out on the next motorcyclist that comes along. I sometimes wonder if some motorcyclist have some sort of god complex? Some of the attitudes found on this site would support that. We need to remember that we are only part of NZ's road users. What we do can affect other motorcyclist also. I'm buggered if I want some boy ricer in a semi-high preformance car giving me attitude just because of what some other rider did to piss him/her off...

Tricia1000
15th June 2006, 09:29
I don't agree with having your lights on full beam during the day, as someone as already pointed out, it is against the law. You can be fined for causing undue glare. The other more significant problem with riding with your lights on full beam, is that it competely obscures your front indicators, because the light is too dazzling for oncomers, to see "through" it, to your indicators.
I agree though, that cagers will see you easier with high beams on, but they will only see you IF THEY ARE LOOKING AT YOU. . If they are half asleep, as I suspect a lot of car drivers are, then they are not going to see you, no matter if you dress your bike like a Christmas tree.

Tricia
Just my two cents worth.

I agree with cagers being able to seeing use more with high beam,the light is shinning more up bright.
The other reason for myself using high beam is we only have one light, if this blows you still have low beam, especially when it's dark.:blip: :bye:

carver
15th June 2006, 09:39
I don't agree with having your lights on full beam during the day, as someone as already pointed out, it is against the law. You can be fined for causing undue glare. The other more significant problem with riding with your lights on full beam, is that it competely obscures your front indicators, because the light is too dazzling for oncomers, to see "through" it, to your indicators.
I agree though, that cagers will see you easier with high beams on, but they will only see you IF THEY ARE LOOKING AT YOU. . If they are half asleep, as I suspect a lot of car drivers are, then they are not going to see you, no matter if you dress your bike like a Christmas tree.

Tricia
Just my two cents worth.

I HAVE A 35/35W HEADLIGHT ON MY HONDA,not exactly bright.:bye:

DMNTD
15th June 2006, 09:45

If they're half asleep maybe they need a wake up eh. :blip:
I've never been "blinded" by motorcyle or car headlights during the daytime...ever. Yes they do stick out more though...to me that's a good thing.
I do have my lights on full beam alot of the time (daytime only btw) mainly due to the fact my bike is black and if there's any possible chance of making myself seen to some dopey,half asleep gimp I'll do so...even if it is "illegal" as it has been stated.
I'd much rather recieve a ticket instead of broken bones...

Squeak the Rat
16th June 2006, 08:53
its called a MODULATOR (http://kriss.com/#).. get them here..

they are not legal in NZ, but i have one on my FJ..

better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6
A quote from another active thread.

If you're going to break the law to be seen then forget high beam, the "ultimate help 4 rider safety" in regards to headlights is a headlight modulator.

And it won't blind other road users.

STR

SARGE
16th June 2006, 09:01
A quote from another active thread.

If you're going to break the law to be seen then forget high beam, the "ultimate help 4 rider safety" in regards to headlights is a headlight modulator.

And it won't blind other road users.

STR

i recommend to all my customers that they use the highs during the day.. personal preference for me

if im blinding them... at least the bastards saw me

(can they get any more blind?)

Deano
16th June 2006, 09:14
I heard that motorcycle high beams close up (twin headlights only) can look like a car a long way off in the in the distance, giving a false impression.

Dunno how accurate this information was....

The Pastor
16th June 2006, 11:37
I use low beams during the day, high beams when im out of the city and alone at night, i dip them when im in/see traffic, just the same as when im in my car. I take the view that 'might has right' and aviod cars rather than hope they see me, and will stop.

mikey
16th June 2006, 11:56
safest thing to do is ride in jeans. ive never crashed in jeans.

you ride that little bit safer in jeans, fear of ripping up another set of levis and losing skin when you crash does it.

not saying you should ride naked on one wheel everywhere, but increase the risk of pain an your brain works a bit harder.

riding with full leathers giversmost people the motoGP hero brain waves, shit always goes wrong when im wearing full leathers. going to be interesting when i start racing next month.

loosebruce
16th June 2006, 16:44
Pfft high beam, low beam, whatever, dosent help shit when you're pulling wheelies does it? :crazy:

ZeroIndex
16th June 2006, 17:59
I do not believe that its a good idea to upset any other road user with that sort of behaviour. You might get away with it, but that driver might end up taking it out on the next motorcyclist that comes along. I sometimes wonder if some motorcyclist have some sort of god complex? Some of the attitudes found on this site would support that. We need to remember that we are only part of NZ's road users. What we do can affect other motorcyclist also. I'm buggered if I want some boy ricer in a semi-high preformance car giving me attitude just because of what some other rider did to piss him/her off...
dammit.. is it impossible to get you to agree with anything? where's your sense of humor etc..

Bend-it
22nd June 2006, 14:02
Yeah, not sure I've ever been blinded by bikes with high beam. Some trucks look like they have mini suns for headlights, but they haven't done any real damage either, just some irritation...

Just got knocked off my bike by a twit who did a u-turn without looking. Would high beam have helped? Dunno... Maybe, maybe not...

inlinefour> Take a chill pill mate!

terbang
22nd June 2006, 14:24

What a load of bollox you talk there, have a read about the way your eyes work by day and by night. I suggest that you visit your eye doctor if you are having trouble with bright lights during the day because the rest of us don't. I think the real problem is that you get Farked off too much over Fark all (trivia), another type of doctor required there as well.!

inlinefour
22nd June 2006, 15:22
What a load of bollox you talk there, have a read about the way your eyes work by day and by night. I suggest that you visit your eye doctor if you are having trouble with bright lights during the day because the rest of us don't. I think the real problem is that you get Farked off too much over Fark all (trivia), another type of doctor required there as well.!

here we have one of the I dont give a fark about anyone else by myself?

terbang
22nd June 2006, 15:43
here we have one of the I dont give a fark about anyone else by myself?

Umm err, You should have had a look at at which way I voted on this issue before posting that sort of assumption..

ZeroIndex
22nd June 2006, 16:20
Pfft high beam, low beam, whatever, dosent help shit when you're pulling wheelies does it? :crazy:
You just need one of these handy lights..

inlinefour
22nd June 2006, 17:46
Umm err, You should have had a look at at which way I voted on this issue before posting that sort of assumption..

Rereading what I said I cant actually understand what I was saying. I think I was awake of about 10 minutes when I posted that. Na I'm not assuming on how you voted, more what you actually posted...:shutup: